In Memoriam

Comments

• Absolutely fascinating about SS. Cultural differences. I think he would have been euthed here much sooner...not judging, just observing. Carolinarkansas, I agree with you completely, Alydar was set up and murdered. I love the tack on Ruffian; just a free ring snaffle, no shadow roll, no tongue tie...the good days, God bless that girl! Great thread!
  • RachelRachel Member
    oh i agree with you Captainmistress. He definitely would of been euthanized much sooner, but his caretakers there wanted to give him his dignity, allow him to do things his way because thats the type of horse that he was. They literally treated him as if he was a real person rather than just a horse.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Apropos (April 21, 2009 - June 28, 2014)
    Pedigree: First Samurai x Apt (AP Indy)
    Earnings: $253,630 (11 starts, 5 wins)
    Cause of Death: There's so much info on the way this horse died i have to put it in quotes, i dont just want to summarize it, all the details need to be had. Her death befell her at Arlington park, while in the saddling stall before the Chicago Handicap...

"Apropos was in her saddling stall when she reared up, became entangled in the wall of the stall, and fell hard to the ground. The mare bled badly as Arlington personnel rushed to raise a screen and hide the scene from the crowd gathered before the Saturday stakes race here.
    Apropos lay on the ground for more than a half-hour, struggling at one point to rise, and delaying the start of the following race. Her bleeding had subsided when she finally was transported out of the paddock and onto the backstretch in a horse ambulance. The mare was given time to attempt to stand on her own but apparently had suffered neurological damage when she fell.
    Dr. Ramley Borderlon, an attending private-practice veterinarian, said Apropos probably suffered hemorrhaging somewhere in her body and that injury might have contributed to her untenable condition. She was humanely destroyed Saturday evening."
  • edited June 2014
    I'm going to do Summer Bird, Barbaro, Seattle Slew, Pine Island, and Rough Sailing just to let everyone know
  • Summer Bird (April 7, 2006- December 23, 2013)
    Pedigree: Birdstone x Hong Kong Squall (Summer Squall)
    Earnings: $2,333,040 (9 starts 4 wins)
    Cause of Death: died in Japan because of colic
  • Barbaro (April 29, 2003- January 29, 2007)
    Pedigree: Dynaformer x La Ville Rouge (Carson City)
    Earnings: $2,302,200 (7 starts 6 wins)
    Cause of Death: Shattered his right hind leg in multiple places early in the running of the 2006 Preakness Stakes on May 20. Sent to University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for treatment. After an 8-month battle, euthanized at the Center on Jan 29, 2007, due to complications of laminitis.
  • Seattle Slew (February 15, 1974- 2002)
    Pedigree: Bold Reasoning x My Charmer (Poker)
    Earnings: $1,208,726 (17 starts 14 wins including the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes)
    Cause of Death: died at the old age of 28
  • Pine Island (April 19, 2003- November 4, 2006)
    Pedigree: Arch x Matlacha Pass (Seeking The Gold)
    Earnings: $666,800 (7 starts 4 wins)
    Cause of Death: compound fractures to her left fore sesamoids during the 2006 Breeder's Cup Distaff
  • Rough Sailing (March 4, 2008- November 6, 2010)
    Pedigree: Mizzen Mast x Moussica (Woodman)
    Earnings: $37,534 (4 starts 1 win) he was a promising colt
    Cause of Death: broken shoulder suffered when he slipped and fell during the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf at Churchill Downs
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Seattle Slew shouldnt be in here. Its for horses who died tragic deaths, Seattle Slew died at a common age for thoroughbreds usually. He just died of old age, not tragically. But everything else is perfect ^.^
  • RachelRachel Member
    I dont think Turallure is on here.

Turallure (March 3, 2007 - November 14, 2013)
    Pedigree: Wando x Personal Allure (Wekiva Springs)
    Earnings: $1,378,997
    Cause of Death: Took a bad step and shattered his right hind pastern during a workout at Keeneland.

Edged out by a nose from Court Vision in the 2011 TVG Breeder's Cup Mile (turf)

In one of his workouts, he was a sight to behold with his mane and tail flowing wildly in the wind as he worked hard.
  • Sorry I miss read it I thought it said something different sorry about that. I wanted to do Landseer but I couldn't find any good pictures of him
  • edited June 2014
    Shergar (1978-1983)
    Pedigree: Great Nephew x Sharmeen(Val de Loir)
    Earnings: $684,479
    Cause of Death: kidnapped from his stable to raise money and shortly killed
  • George Washington January 3, 2003- October 27, 2007
    Pedigree: Danehill x Bordighera (Alysheba)
    Earnings: $1,475,816
    Cause of Death: dislocated ankle fracture during the Breeders' Cup Classic at Monmouth, October 27 2007
  • I know that putting four on one post might be a lot but it is alot easier than posting all of them separately since it takes up more space on the discussion
    Eight Belles (February 23, 2005- May 3, 2008)
    Pedigree: Unbridled's Song x Away (Dixieland Band)
    Earnings: $708,650
    Cause of Death: fractures of the cannon and sesamoid bones in both front legs after finishing second to Big Brown (this is the same type of break that happened to the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro in one leg)

Kip Deville May 3, 2003- June 11, 2010
    Pedigree: Kipling x Klondike Kaytie (Encino)
    Earnings: $3,325,489
    Cause of Death: laminitis
    Fun Fact: this might not be a fun fact but this is a fact about how tough Kip Deville was with his battles. In November of 2009 he fought a bout of colic and then fought for 8 months to beat the battle of laminitis that just shows how much fight he had in him just like so many of the great horses that we have lost because of this horrible disease ones like Secretariat, Foolish Pleasure, Barbaro, and recently Intense Holiday

Foolish Pleasure (March 23, 1972- November 1994)
    Pedigree: What A Pleasure x Fool-Me-Not (Tom Fool)
    Earnings: $1,216,705
    Cause of Death: laminitis
    probably best known by his ill fated match race with Ruffian on July 6, 1975 (not the best way to be known by)

Prairie Bayou (March 4 1990- 1993)
    Pedigree: Little Missouri x Whiffling (Wavering Monarch)
    Earnings: $1,450,621
    Cause of Death: broken cannon bone in the 1993 Belmont Stakes
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    i actually had no idea that Foolish Pleasure died of laminitis :( he was 22 years old, and i was 5 years old when he died. Had no idea about him at all lol or horse racing in general
  • i actually had no idea that Foolish Pleasure died of laminitis :( he was 22 years old, and i was 5 years old when he died. Had no idea about him at all lol or horse racing in general
    Me either, you learn something every day! I still feel a bit bad for him, I mean.... I love Ruffian but no doubt Foolish Pleasure was a great horse in his own right. But because of what happened, he will always remain in her shadow, and will always be cast as "the bad guy". Much like War Admiral and Seabiscuit.

• i actually had no idea that Foolish Pleasure died of laminitis :( he was 22 years old, and i was 5 years old when he died. Had no idea about him at all lol or horse racing in general

Me either, you learn something every day! I still feel a bit bad for him, I mean.... I love Ruffian but no doubt Foolish Pleasure was a great horse in his own right. But because of what happened, he will always remain in her shadow, and will always be cast as "the bad guy". Much like War Admiral and Seabiscuit.

I also never knew that he died of laminitis I looked him up and saw that is what he died of I saw Ruffian already on here so I did Foolish. He died two years before I was born
  • Then of course we have Eight Belles who was a great little filly in her own right
  • JanDJanD Member
    CaliforniaChrome1121, would you post one for Devil May Care. She died on May 4, 2011 from cancer. I was just heart broken when she died.
  • @JanD yeah I can do that
  • edited June 2014
    Devil May Care (May 7, 2007- May 4, 2011)
    Pedigree: Malibu Moon x Kelli's Ransom
    Earnings: $725,000
    Cause of Death: euthanized because of Lymphoma a type of cancer
  • Beautiful Go For Wand, the most awful breakdown I ever saw happen live. Not in person, but tv. Just horrible. She was such a brave girl and tried so hard to keep going. Sigh!
    Louise, I saw it on tv also and it was so horrible that I ended up sick in the bathroom. Hope never to see anything like that again.
    Beautiful Go For Wand, the most awful breakdown I ever saw happen live. Not in person, but tv. Just horrible. She was such a brave girl and tried so hard to keep going. Sigh!
    Name: GO FOR WAND (April 6th, 1987 - October 27, 1990)
    Pedigree: Deputy Minister x Obeah (by Cyane)
    Earnings: $1,373,338
    Cause of Death: Euthanasia due to open fractured cannon bone.
    Fun Fact: Go For Wand's dam; Obeah, won the Delaware Handicap twice, and the Blue Hen Stakes once.
    Photo provided by Barbara Levingston (c)
  • RachelRachel Member
    It was said she has never been challenged like that before in a race. She tried SO hard to win that she broke herself in doing so. She had that much heart
  • I wasn't even BORN when Go For Wand broke down but I remember when I saw the race video I just GASPED. It was so brutal, tragic, horrifying, and unexpected that I had to watch it a few times to convince myself it was real. And more terrifying yet was the jockey! Go For Wand was careening towards him on her back... And you could really see how big she was in comparison to him. I could imagine his panic and fear as he saw a half ton animal looking like she was going to hit him. And if she did, he would probably have been killed.