Blame

Comments

• Far From Over Todd Pletcher Click Here!

Blame—Alchemist, by A.P. Indy

This may seem to be an overreaction to his remarkable effort in the Withers Stakes, but this regally bred ridgling has accomplished so much in two career starts he probably has the experience of a seasoned battle-tested horse. He not only overcame a bad stumble at the start, he beat two very good horses. What he has going for him is having two two-turn races, one at 2, and he’s shown both times what a warrior he is. That’s a lot of quick maturing for a May 9 foal. And he still has a lot to learn. In his maiden race, he hopped at the start, battled head and head with a 9-5 shot, alternating back and forth for the lead, put him away and looked ripe for the kill turning for home. But he found more when the 8-5 favorite eyeballed him and refused to let him by, despite jumping back to his left lead after shying from a cocked whip and bouncing off the rail. In the Withers, he dropped 11 lengths back after his stumble, charged up the inside, came between horses, and then outside the two leaders in the stretch, flying home in a brilliant :23 4/5 and :06 1/5, despite jumping back to his left lead. His pedigree is so star-studded, we’ll SAVE that for next week. All in all, this is a racehorse who has proven so much in two starts you have to admire the fact that he wins in spite of his immaturity.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/02/10/derby-dozen-february-10-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx##ixzz3RNHGeqDh
  • Not mentioned in the article but on both sides of his family is my beloved Alydar. Guess I'm telling you all that I am a LOL (Little Ole Lady) since I actually saw Alydar and Affirmed race. Affirmed was great but I loved Alydar.

• What an experience that must of been
  • I'm a LOL too, Shirlee, and I remember the 70s decade well. I am a Seattle Slew and A. P. Indy fan so Far From Over will be one of my favorites this year. A. P. Indy has the blood of the 2 greatest TC Winners so Far From Over's impressive pedigree should take him forward. And he's certainly lived up to his name in his races just when you think he's done.

As much I as I like this colt and feel he has tremendous potential, you still have to remember that big performances on Aqueduct’s inner track often are not duplicated on the main track. Only I Want Revenge has won a stakes on the inner track and then won the Wood Memorial. There is a big difference in class between the two tracks. Can this colt do it? The feeling here is yes. His victory in the Withers closely mirrored I Want Revenge’s remarkable score in the Wood. The only difference is, I want Revenge went into the Wood off seven career starts, an 8 1/2-length romp in the Gotham, and placings in a grade I and grade II, while Far From Over went into the Withers off one nose maiden victory. If a horse can overcome what he overcame in the Withers against proven stakes horses off only one career start, who knows how much upside there is to him and how far he can move forward in the Gotham and Wood Memorial. He’s a fighter and he can overcome adversity and still win going away. That’s some impressive credentials for a horse with only two starts.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/02/17/steve-haskin-s-derby-dozen-for-february-17-2015.aspx#ixzz3S251QrQ9

Breezed a half in :48 2/5 as he prepares for his next big test in the Gotham Stakes, where the competition should get stronger. With his lack of racing, he needs to face top quality horses and continue to move forward. In a year that has been mostly mundane on the Derby trail, he at least provided some excitement with his thrilling rush from last to first in the Withers. We need to start using the word ‘special’ more often to describe these horses and their performances, which we haven’t done too often this year, and we need to feel comfortable in a horse’s ability to get the mile and a quarter, and he has as strong a pedigree as anyone on the Derby trail; one that is inundated with class influences top and bottom and even provides the RF (Rasmussen Factor) with inbreeding to great producer Courtly Dee. Everything has to go perfectly for him, but so far he keeps CHECKING off all the boxes.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/02/24/derby-dozen-february-24-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx##ixzz3SgzEccPG
  • Far From Over now has his own Facebook page!
  • Find Fault displays no faults in her debut at Gulfstream | Feb. 22, 2015:
  • That come from behind style is getting to be a thing with Blame's babies.
  • The Tapit filly, Coming Attraction, was very unhappy about being passed. I have a feeling we'll see more of both of these fillies.

With his connections deciding to skip the Gotham and training up to the Wood Memorial, I normally would have lowered him, as he’d be going into the Derby with only 3 career starts and one race in 11 weeks. But he has gotten a ton of experience in his two starts, both around two turns. And he’s such a professional who adapts to any situation and does everything asked of him, they might just be able to pull it off. And most important, he may be talented enough to handle what is no doubt a difficult task. Pletcher, who doesn’t bat an eye pointing a horse with 3 starts to the Derby, is trying the same thing with Khozan, but unlike Far From Over, Khozan has been in two laughers and hasn’t been tested the way this horse has. The key is keeping him sharp and fit between the Withers and Wood, because by passing up the 50 points in the Gotham, and having only 10 points, he’ll need to beat proven class horses such as Upstart in the Wood or at the very worse finish second in order to assure himself a starting berth in the Derby. He is a May 9 foal and obviously is still learning, but off his two races, he probably is farther advanced than most horses with twice as many starts.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/03/03/derby-dozen-march-3-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz3TLpWyXbE

Breezed a half in :49 4/5 at Palm Beach Downs for his return to New York for the Wood Memorial. His connections felt skipping the Gotham was the best move for the horse, but they’ll have to buck history, which has shown us it is no easy task. Having a pair of eventful 2-turn races will help. His supporters also had to feel good about seeing El Kabeir run such a dynamite race in the Gotham. He is in need of points and having Upstart pass the Wood for the Florida Derby also will help. There really isn’t too much left to say about him. We know he has talent and courage and determination and could turn out to be something special. But as of now he has a tall order trying to get the necessary bottom and experience to be ready for the Kentucky Derby having had only two career starts on Aqueduct’s inner track heading into the Wood. And there is a big class difference between the inner and main tracks. Smarty Jones is the only horse ever to win the Derby having won a stakes on the Aqueduct inner track.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/03/10/derby-dozen-march-10-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz3U0iyCk7G

I sort of understand the reasoning behind skipping the Gotham and going into the Kentucky Derby off only three career starts, but I can’t help but wish he would have run and tried to nail down that 50 points and inclusion into the Derby field rather than letting it all on the line in the Wood Memorial and hoping there’s no traffic problems that could cost him second. You can run a huge race and get beat two noses and get left out of the Derby. But on the other hand I have to commend them for doing what they think is best for the horse, even at the risk of blowing the Derby. And even if they get in the race with only three starts, they’re bucking history, trying to do something that has been done by only one freak of a racehorse in the past 93 years. So they are letting the horse earn his way in and then prove he can do something historically extraordinary on the first Saturday in May. To his benefit, and what could separate him from the other few horses who have tried, he has gotten so much out of his first two starts, having to prove his courage under constant fire in his first race and demonstrating his ability to overcome a disastrous trip and still beat class horses like El Kabeir and Classy Class in only his second start. So this is a colt who has squeezed four races worth of experience into two races, and we really have no idea just how good he is.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/03/17/derby-dozen-march-17-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx##ixzz3UfbOu0Jt
  • Since he is a May colt, that could work against him too. Wish his real birthday was around March!

His turn to ascend up the ladder will come on April 4 in the Wood Memorial, and we’ll see if he can make that all-important transition from the inner track to the main track and get enough out of the race to win the Kentucky Derby off only three career starts. Only one horse since 1915 has accomplished that feat, and that was Big Brown. The person who helped negotiate the deal for Big Brown was Nick Sallusto, who is the racing manager for Far From Over’s majority owner Black Rock Thoroughbreds, so he’s at least been there before. We still don’t know what Far From Over’s best running style is, because he had to do some major improvising after stumbling badly at the start in the Withers. That’s another question he’ll have to answer in the Wood. With pedigree a question mark regarding several of the leading contenders, that is one issue he doesn’t have to worry about. With him, it’s all about reproducing his form over the main track against top-class competition, establishing his running style, and getting enough out of the race to prepare him for the tough task that lies ahead.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/03/24/derby-dozen-march-24-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz3VKOLrtqO
  • March is running April 4th in the Bay Shore Stakes. He will be ridden by Irad Ortiz Jr. He is trained by Chad Brown and owned by Robert LaPenta.
  • Who would have foreseen that Coz will be running in a race with a son of Blame, Volume, in his first race???
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Happy Birthday to Blame.

Zenyatta forgives you and, I am sure, wishes you a Happy Birthday.
  • Happy Birthday to Blame.

Zenyatta forgives you and, I am sure, wishes you a Happy Birthday.

Like I've been saying: if anything, it really speaks well of Kris S. as a grandsire for the only horse to beat a grandchild of Kris S., was ANOTHER grandchild of Kris S.!
  • March is running June 6th in the Woody Stephens Stakes. He will be ridden by Irad Ortiz Jr. He is trained by Chad Brown and owned by Robert LaPenta.
  • Quaver is running June 6th in the Crank It Up Stakes. She will be ridden by Orlando Bocachica. She is trained by Robert Ribaudo and owned by Marc Keller.
  • Looks like one of Blame's 2013 (2nd crop) did well today (8/2/15) at Del Mar...
    Blameitonthelaw won his maiden debut by 4.5 lengths as a 2-year old at Del Mar's race 7 (maiden special weight, 2 year olds) for 5.5 furlongs. :oD
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/DMR/2015/8/2/7/race-7-msw-at-dmr-on-8-2-15

Blameitonthelaw's pedigree:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/blameitonthelaw
    Blame's other promising progeny:
    Chide (2012f)
    March (2012c)
    Far From Over (2012c)