Where are they now?

Comments

• shirlee said:

I too have been trying to find out something about Materiality. I emailed Alto racing but go no reply. Can't find a mailing address for them. When I had heard nothing about Far From Over last fall, I wrote a letter to the owners. They did not reply directly but posted news on his FB.

Far From Over has been in training with Todd Pletcher since early this year. Doing very well and posting some good works. Supposed to have first start in the 3rd at Belmont on Friday. Not much news on his FB but at least they posted a picture and said he was going to be with Todd. Then that he was there. I have him in my virtual stable so that is where I get any news of him. Know about the start from a post here earlier.
  • I hate to say it, but it isn't looking good for his prognosis. I'm not the best in regards to horse injuries. Is a soft tissue injury alone enough to cause euthanization? I did quick research, and some say it may take up to 12 months to heal. He hurt it last August. Maybe he is still rehabbing somewhere and has been unable to go to stud yet?
  • Lioness, I sure hope you are right. I have had some of those same dark thoughts. But I know there are so many places he would fit and be happy even if not a stallion, so I still hope.

Jaefeathered, here is Paulick's report, which includes a present tense quote from Steve Young and the past tense from Todd. Maybe he is<i class="Italic mourning his racing prospect.

• I think you missed the link to the article?
  • Bummer. Here it is!

http://www.paulickreport.com/

I still had it on my clipboard.

Sorry about that.

JN
  • shirlee said:

shirlee said:

I too have been trying to find out something about Materiality. I emailed Alto racing but go no reply. Can't find a mailing address for them. When I had heard nothing about Far From Over last fall, I wrote a letter to the owners. They did not reply directly but posted news on his FB.

Far From Over has been in training with Todd Pletcher since early this year. Doing very well and posting some good works. Supposed to have first start in the 3rd at Belmont on Friday. Not much news on his FB but at least they posted a picture and said he was going to be with Todd. Then that he was there. I have him in my virtual stable so that is where I get any news of him. Know about the start from a post here earlier.
    Far From Over is back!!! He's entered in Race 4, an Allowance Optional Claiming race, at Belmont Park on 6/24.

Also @jnwisconsin - do you have an exact link to the article you're talking about? Or at least the title of it so I can search for it?
  • It s right above your post. It should work.

If not let me know and I will try again, or just paste the whole article.
  • That link just goes to the main site, and I tried doing a search for Materiality from there but wasn't able to pull up the article you mentioned. I'm curious, too!
  • Okay here we go:

Toggle
    Horse Racing News | Paulick Report
    Florida Derby Winner Materiality Retired
    OBS
    by Press Release | 08.07.2015 | 12:21pm
    Florida Derby winner Materiality has been retired due to injury
    Florida Derby winner Materiality has been retired due to injury

Alto Racing LLC (Alto Racing) today announced that its three year old colt, Materiality, will retire with a record of three wins in five starts, winning the Grade 1 Florida Derby in his third start.

“Materiality was a very special racehorse, winning from 6 furlongs to 1 1/8 miles against the best of his generation,“ said Alto Racing's bloodstock advisor Steven W. Young. “He is a good-looking individual and we expect the breeders will like him as much as we do. His Florida Derby remains the highest Beyer figure for a 3-year old this year.”

“Materiality was a strong, robust horse with a great disposition,” said Materiality Trainer Todd Pletcher. “He had sprinter speed with the ability to carry that speed to 1 1/8m.”

Stallion arrangements have not yet been finalized.

The Alto Racing team made the decision to retire Materiality due to a soft tissue injury he sustained while training.

Airdrie
    New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
    Copyright © 2016 Paulick Report.

This entry was posted in Bloodstock and tagged Alto Racing, Florida Derby, Horse Racing, materiality, thoroughbred, todd pletcher by Press Release. Bookmark the permalink.
    Preakness Meet at Pimlico

Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Paulick Report on Instagram

Receive MORNING HEADLINES & NEWS ALERTS Go
    OBS Sales
    Ray PaulickASK RAY?
    questions • tips • rants Ask Me
    Spendthrift Farm
    PR Poll
    What has been the single most impressive performance of the year so far?
    California Chrome, DWC Frosted, Met Mile Tepin, Royal Ascot
    vote
    View Results

Reborne
    STAFF

Publisher
    Ray Paulick (859 312.2102)

Director of Advertising
    Emily Alberti (859 913.9633)

Editor-in-Chief
    Scott Jagow

Features Editor
    Natalie Voss

News Editor
    Mary Schweitzer

Asst. News Editor
    Chelsea Hackbarth

Custom Publishing Editor
    Esther Marr

Contributing Writers
    Sarah E. Coleman
    Frank Mitchell
    Jen Roytz
    Denise Steffanus

Photography
    EquiSport Photos (Matt and Wendy Wooley)
    Eric Kalet

Business Manager
    Carol Paulick

Destination Europe

Paulick Report
    HOME
    ADVERTISING
    CONTACT
    TERMS OF USE
    PRIVACY POLICY
    COMMENTING POLICIES
    RSS FEEDS
    NEWS
    Ray's Paddock
    The Biz
    Triple Crown
    Racing
    Bloodstock
    People
    Horseplayers
    Horse Care
    FEATURES
    Photos of the Week
    Absorbine Presents Eric Kalet’s Triple Crown Photo Blog
    Bloodlines
    Breeders' Cup Presents Connections
    Cosequin presents OTTB Showcase
    VIDEOS
    Graded Stakes
    Latest Video
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Youtube
    PaulickReport.com is published by Blenheim Publishing LLC, 3070 Lakecrest Circle, Suite 400-292, Lexington, KY 40513. Copyright Blenheim Publishing LLC.

Okay, now we're cookin!
  • Anytime. And i am here any time research is needed. I'm retired and have the time and interest to hunt down info. Except complicated trusts. I really hate those. Anything else, though. BJN
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I am so busy since "retired" that I cant figure out how I ever had the time to work
  • Ditto carolinarkansas. And it didn't take long to fill all that time either.
  • I am so busy since "retired" that I cant figure out how I ever had the time to work

Me too! I worked full-time, traveled a lot for work, cleaned, cooked, did yard work, etc. Now I have a lawn/yard service and contemplating a housecleaner. I'm going to hell in a hand basket. :-)
  • Yup! Whoever coined the phrase The Golden Years, must have been young. My big energy expenditure is to walk Fynn. Actually, when we walked earlier i ran into a group of aging bikers who were having an informal party. We visited awhile and moved on. Harley Fest must be this weekend, cause there are bikers everywhere in Milwaukee. I swear, they are getting older every year, too. Pretty soon, they will all be riding motorized scooters.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    the HOG rally is this weekend in Hot Springs....gotta be at least 1000 extra bikes in town
  • We have the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Assoc. national convention this weekend. Harry Fest is Sept. 1-4, 2016.

http://houseofharley.com/harley-motorcycle-events/2016-combat-veterans-motorcycle-association-national-convention
  • Melissa Bauer-Herzog on Twitter, who is a relatively well-known photographer and works (I think) in the breeding industry in Kentucky, said that the last she heard about Materiality, he was still recovering from his injury before going off to stud. She said it was a while ago though and hasn't heard anything since. I'll keep asking around in the hopes that somebody knows something.
  • KatyKaty Member
    Does anyone know what is going on with Morse Code? Can't find any news of this guy

• Per HRN, Raced once Aqueduct 11-20-15, 6f MSW finished second.

Owner is shown as Lane's end Racing - Dell Ridge Farm LLC.

Trainer Claude R. McGaughey III

He was diagnosed with a bone bruise so he was sent up to Ocala for a few weeks of walking and 60 days of turnout. This was from a January, 2016 interview.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/down-the-shedrow-with-shug-mcgaughey/

Interviewed on February 25, 2016, McGaughey said Morse Code was currently sidelined but was expected to return later this year.

There is a 2 yr old full sister to Morse Code named Serena's Harmony. She is owned by Bridlewood Farm.

http://allequineallthetime.blogspot.com/2016/02/new-stallion-honor-code.html?m=1
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited July 2016
    And sweet 4yo Lady Serena ran third in the Barley Even at Gulfstream today :) Finally got her own black type!

Serena's Cat has a Tapit colt at her side and is in foal to Tapit, btw.
  • Melissa Bauer-Herzog on Twitter, who is a relatively well-known photographer and works (I think) in the breeding industry in Kentucky, said that the last she heard about Materiality, he was still recovering from his injury before going off to stud. She said it was a while ago though and hasn't heard anything since. I'll keep asking around in the hopes that somebody knows something.

Thanks for whatever news you can find on him. Wish I knew how to get in touch with Steve Haskins. If anyone can find Materiality, it would be him.
  • edited July 2016
    Getting in touch with Steve shouldn't be that hard. Just tweet him.

Tweets by ‎@SteveHaskin

https://twitter.com/SteveHaskin?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • I have exhausted my avenues of search for Materiality. I'll repeat it periodically. Hopefully he will turn upat some point

Right now, I think he's sitting at the international space station laughing at me.. I have checked everywhere else, I think.

BTW, never, ever, and I mean never, do a search for Argentine Stud.I got offers you wouldn't believe, and saw a few things I won't ever be able to unsee.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Good to know JN! LOL