Where are they now?

Comments

• Thanks for the warning JN. I misspelled something I was searching and had the same results. Sitting alone at my computer blushing! I didn't know people could do things like that.
  • Yeah, at work, especially. When the movie Men in Black was popular, I was looking for something to add to a lecture I was preparing. I innocently typed the name of the movie. Did I get movie related stuff? Oh, no! Had to just shut my pc down. So I went and told my boss in case anything wandered beyond my PC, or big company brother was watching that day. He thought it was hilarious. Okay, then!
  • Ihave continued to search for Materiality with no more luck than previous searches.

I have written to Ray Paulick to see if he could help.

Did anyone contact Haskin?
  • Ihave continued to search for Materiality with no more luck than previous searches.

I have written to Ray Paulick to see if he could help.

Did anyone contact Haskin?

I haven't contacted him. Thanks for looking into it though! I really am very curious to find out what happened to him.
  • I will see if Ray can help. If not I will try Haskin. Bugs the heck out of me. Going through some of the stud books is like taking rosetta stone language classes. But I am pretty confident that Materiality is not in any of them. I am sure I have not checked them all. Just need a clue as to new countries to check.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited September 2016
    Apparently Materiality has died. Death report on file with the JC.
  • EliRose said:

Oh my god, seriously??? D= How did you find out?
  • EliRose said:

Oh my god, seriously??? D= How did you find out?
    One of the BH was looking for him in the Mares Bred reports and found a Death report.
  • Oh how sad!!
  • I had to reread this whole thread. What a bummer.
  • Just took a look for myself - yep, Materiality has a year of death listed :(
  • Wonder if accident or....? Sure was on down low. Off the radar entirely.
  • Very sad to hear about, thanks for reporting.
  • So sad. Someone reported this in answer to my question about him on his FB. I posted it under Afleet Alex. Sorry for the duplication. Appreciate the news.
  • I looked and looked for months for poor Materiality. There was nothing after the
    8-7-15 article in which Pletcher, when praising Mteriality, used the past tense. I will bet money that he was dead already by then. Was he infertile with no monetary potential? Was the injury that caused his retirement going to be too costly? Was he worth alot in insurance money? Normally the death of a colt like this would rate an article in Bloodhorse, and other racing publications. This just does not feel right.
  • EliRose said:

Just took a look for myself - yep, Materiality has a year of death listed :(

Where did you find it? D= I emailed the Jockey Club about it but I haven't gotten a reply yet.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited September 2016

Normally the death of a colt like this would rate an article in Bloodhorse, and other racing publications. This just does not feel right.

I agree. There's been a lot of hush hush surrounding this one. However, I therefore doubt that we'll ever learn more than this unless there is some serious public outcry pressure on the reporters who haven't looked into it/have but won't report (aka attempts will be futile, and I really don't see a public rally happening over him).

• EliRose said:

Just took a look for myself - yep, Materiality has a year of death listed :(

Where did you find it? D= I emailed the Jockey Club about it but I haven't gotten a reply yet.
    I just got official confirmation from the Jockey Club that they received a death certificate for him this year. =(

I posted the news on my Twitter account in the hope that it can gain some traction, but I don't have a massive following so we'll see.
  • IDK, I have seen chatter before when looking for some word on this colt, about other Pletcher-trained three year olds missing. I got a list of 33 colts and fillies. Upon checking them out, the fillies transitioned to broodmares successfully. The colts eventually went to various farms to stand at studm. Four of them are in Japan. A couple of horses are dead, one laminitis and the other colic. Not suspicious.

There is another, though eerily similar to Materiality. His name is Protonico. Per HRN, status shows active, but last race 11/15. I could find noword on him beyond that.
  • I looked and looked for months for poor Materiality. There was nothing after the
    8-7-15 article in which Pletcher, when praising Mteriality, used the past tense. I will bet money that he was dead already by then. Was he infertile with no monetary potential? Was the injury that caused his retirement going to be too costly? Was he worth alot in insurance money? Normally the death of a colt like this would rate an article in Bloodhorse, and other racing publications. This just does not feel right.

I would really recommend not jumping to hasty conclusions. It was a 2016 death report, and if you dig where you shouldn't be digging (whoops) there was an owner change. That owner would not just kill a horse. If you ask the right people, they will tell you that Materiality was in rehab for a very long time. It's sad but horses do just die.

And while it is unfortunate that the owners did not put out a press release or something, they're not required to. It is their horse.
  • Seconding what @EliRose said.

It seems that people lose sight of the fact that these horses are the personal property of their owners. It is completely within the owner's legal right to provide or not provide detail as the owner sees fit. No one except the owner, and if applicable the insurance company, is entitled to any details or information about these horses.
  • I haven't lost sight of anything. This has been murky from the beginning and I have been researching this for months. If you have specifics, please provide them.
  • I haven't lost sight of anything. This has been murky from the beginning and I have been researching this for months. If you have specifics, please provide them.

If I had specifics, I wouldn't because those specifics belong to the horse's owner.
  • We discuss all manner of things about living horses, including discussing owners, trainers, etc. Note discussion on Runhappy, as an example.
  • Zenyen, I think is right. If I had knowledge of specifics that the owner didn't want known, I wouldn't share them. It would mean that I came by the information by personal association of some sort. Owners don't want or need publicity about the deaths of their horses. If they want to share, that is one thing. K