Where are they now?

Comments

• I agree with Zenyen with one caveat -- there was so much uproar about Vertigineux (and to a lesser degree, Tasty Temptation), that their owners were forced to make public statements. I really wanted to hear the truth about the Queen Mum, but felt very bad for Tasty Temptation's owners. JMHO
  • Of course, it is the owner's choice whether to publish details. One thing about secrets, they have a nasty way of arousing interest and speculation when it is just easier to be out with it. Thanks to all here on the Forum for the news and the lively discussions.
  • Why is it assumed that the death of Materiality was held close to the chest because the owners wanted privacy? It could be that the connections just didn't realize there was interest out there and it didn't occur to them to make it public. It's not like he was a well known champion. Interest in Materiality is nowhere on the same level as the interest in Vertigineux. When compared to all the announced deaths of famous mares, be it because they were champions or the dams of champions, the non reporting of Vertigineux' death was just dumb and weird.
  • We discuss all manner of things about living horses, including discussing owners, trainers, etc. Note discussion on Runhappy, as an example.

Left you a message, I'm no techie, but I hope you see it.
  • Why is it assumed that the death of Materiality was held close to the chest because the owners wanted privacy? It could be that the connections just didn't realize there was interest out there and it didn't occur to them to make it public. It's not like he was a well known champion. Interest in Materiality is nowhere on the same level as the interest in Vertigineux. When compared to all the announced deaths of famous mares, be it because they were champions or the dams of champions, the non reporting of Vertigineux' death was just dumb and weird.

Especially considering the owners at time of death were not the same as his racing connections, and happened at least seven months after retirement. He was a popular Derby horse, but he didn't do much in the TC. There are a helluva lot of nice stakes horses who nobody ever asks about when they're out of eyesight for a while.
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited October 2016
    Here's a BloodHorse article on Materiality's death: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/215479/florida-derby-winner-materiality-dies

It sounds like he only died 10 days ago, which is much more recent than I thought.

EDIT: Jeremy Balan said Materiality was euthanized on July 26th due to complications from laminitis.

EDIT2: Here's a DRF article on him: http://www.drf.com/news/materiality-euthanized-due-laminitis
  • KatyKaty Member
    edited October 2016
    Edited, Link was already posted
  • Did materiality even cover any mares before he died
  • Jess1357 said:

Did materiality even cover any mares before he died

No.

• Eli Rose, you admonished me (gently, no worries) after I pointed out Pletcher used the past tense in his 8-7-15 interview about Materiality's retirement, and I further stated that I had a bad feeling about this. I have had a strongly developed "sixth or psychic sense" since childhood. My mom did, too, and one of my cousins. Sorrry bettors, it is never about anything good. More an unshakable sense of forboding.

When I feel something isn't right and needs to be known, I will dig till I either find it or admit defeat. In a situation like this, it does not necessarily mean that something wrong happened, just that something bad happened.

Sadly, Materiality did not cover any mares due to the fact that they couldn't get insurance and due to his illnessm
  • Well --- the mystery surrounding the death of Materiality has been solved --- nothing nefarious in regards to the circumstances. He was retired with soft tissue damage, apparently treated at Rood & Riddle, them developed laminitis which, unfortunately, resulted in him being put down. It's a damn shame, but colic and laminitis takes many of the great and not so great horses every year. Apparently, a man names Connor Harrell, who is affiliated with Alto Racing, sent out a tweet back on July 26th about the loss of Materiality. I guess you can look that tweet up on twitter if anyone wants to do so. At the time of death, he may have technically been owned by the insurance company that had paid out a "loss of use" settlement to the connections. (loss of use means he was unable to cover mares/stand at stud).
  • So beautiful....so sad!
  • Re: Protonico
    I feel this is here somewhere...I just havent been able to remember where. It seems Lizzie and I had a sad moment concerning him. It was an accident that I even saw a notice as I was looking into others. I just cant remember the time and space. I want to say training , but may be remembering a different situation.

Eli Rose, you admonished me (gently, no worries) after I pointed out Pletcher used the past tense in his 8-7-15 interview about Materiality's retirement, and I further stated that I had a bad feeling about this. I have had a strongly developed "sixth or psychic sense" since childhood. My mom did, too, and one of my cousins. Sorrry bettors, it is never about anything good. More an unshakable sense of forboding.

When I feel something isn't right and needs to be known, I will dig till I either find it or admit defeat. In a situation like this, it does not necessarily mean that something wrong happened, just that something bad happened.

Sadly, Materiality did not cover any mares due to the fact that they couldn't get insurance and due to his illnessm

I like this post and like that about you. Your instinct about MB was correct and I feel this must be true.
  • Thanks, Tincup.

While I would like to have hope that Protonico is still with us, like you, I fear that he is not.
  • I am just glad we know what happened to Materiality. I really thought that perhaps he had been sold out of the country or had begun a second career out of racing.
  • Alot of the time I spent hunting for materiality, was spent going throuth the stud books of countries I never even knew had horse racing.
  • I am posting a correction to my Materiality posts. I misunderstood the date euthanized to be July 26, 2015. In rereading Bloodhorse article looks like they meant 2016. Sorry for the error.

I read Paulick's story on Materiality. In the comments that followed, they were discussing the long period of no news andsomeone pointed out that Stradivari has also disappared off the radar screen. As it turns out, not entirely. Todd pletcher , on 9-3-16, said he had seen him a couple pf days before at Rood and Riddle and he was doing well, recovering from his July, 2016 surgery.

• Was going to post this about Protonico too. Seen where he won but also seen where he was listed as a probable for the Kelso but nothing seen since 9-9-16.
  • Any updates on Protonico. Seen where he was vanned off 10-8-16 after race.
  • @marepower I saw he was pulled up because he "felt funny" to the jockey, but he was fine and sound. No official word though.
  • thank you
  • Does anyone have any news on Far From Over. He finished 6th in a race on Aug. 8 and there has been nothing since. No listed works. Looks as if he was sick or injured. Thanks to anyone who knows something!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited September 2017
    On the racing stage for a brief time, Shakespeare stepped out of the spotlight.
    Here is his story. Keta
    Titans of the Turf | Shakespeare
    “He was an absolutely beautiful horse. One of the best-looking horses I’ve ever been around."
    By Teresa Genaro for WoodbineEntertainment.com​ 15 Sep 2017
    TORONTO, September 15 - I remember the first time I saw Shakespeare. It was the day of the Jockey Club Gold Cup in 2005, and I’d headed out to Belmont with a couple of fellow English teacher friends, and he, along with English Channel, was running in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational. We bet to win, we bet the exacta, we hit both. Easy game.
    The win was Shakespeare’s fifth in a row; owned by his breeder Dell Ridge Farm in partnership with William Schettine, in whose silks he ran, the bay horse was undefeated, and en route to that year’s Breeders’ Cup Turf, also held at Belmont, he’d earned his first Grade 1 win in the Hirsch Classic.
    A son of 1997 Eclipse Turf champion Theatrical (IRE), Shakespeare is out of the Grade 1 winner Lady Shirl. Offered at the 2002 Keeneland September yearling sale, he failed to meet his reserve, bringing a final bid of $140,000. Later that year, Schettine purchased a half-interest in him.
    http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woodbine/RaceTrackNewsPage.aspx?NewsId=8bc6c53a-9b07-4846-a7f4-2bfa7b213e7e
    From article
    Now gelded, Shakespeare lives back at Dell Ridge Farm​​, sharing a paddock with 26-year-old Desert Stormer, who won the 1995 Breeders’ Cup Sprint, and other retirees.
    “We’ve got seven or eight of them in the retirement section of the farm,” said Ryan
  • Shakespeare is a big sweetheart. The retirement "field" (more like four fields) is a jewelry box, with a few homebred claimers in there as well. The farm does right by their horses.