im so very excited and i just can't wait.....so i had to spill the news on here

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Say wuuuuuuut??

So, whats the other breed? LOL
  • edited July 2014
    Appaloosa which will be the stallion and the mare I changed her breed to a thoroughbred
  • A stallion? Whatever possessed you to get a stallion? Why wouldn't you get a gelding?
  • cause I want to breed my mare and stallion so my dad will have a horse too and not be mad that I got two horses...
  • cause I want to breed my mare and stallion so my dad will have a horse too and not be mad that I got two horses...
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but this does not sound like a well-thought-out decision. How much experience have you had with horses--not just riding, but handling? Managing a stallion, even a kind one, isn't like handling a mare or gelding. Managing broodmares and foals isn't trivial either

Not to mention that there is a terrible, terrible problem of unwanted horses, many of which are young, healthy, and have years of useful life ahead of them. These horses are at risk of euthanasia (if they're lucky), abandonment, or slaughter. Instead of breeding more, why not buy or adopt a horse for your dad? Does he even want a horse? Is he willing to wait 3 or 4 years to have one that can be ridden? Has he ridden a green horse? Has he trained one? Have you? If you are getting two horses, why not let him ride one? A couple of mares, a couple of geldings, or even one of each (assuming they get along) makes more sense to me.
  • crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have to second lauraj_cincinnati, everything she said was spot-on. Unless you are extremely experienced in MANY aspects of horsemanship (handling, training, riding, breeding, grooming, medical needs, nutrition, etc), you should not dabble with owning a stallion, much less breeding him to your mare and raising the foal. If your dad is "mad that you got two horses," I can't see how a third horse---and a foal at that---is going to help the situation. Stallions are strong willed, hot blooded animals who are going to push you around. When the mare comes into heat, he is going to be absolutely single minded. It takes someone with experience, patience, and determination to be able to handle them and earn their respect. They are NOT a good idea for a first time pleasure-type horse! I owned a mare and a gelding who got along fabulously. Breeding a mare and raising a foal are a whole other problem that again, only someone with experience should dabble in if they expect good results and want the best for the horses. I really hope you will re-think your decision for your own sake and only get a horse (or 2) for the right reasons
  • I started in western riding then changed to English riding..but that was several years ago..but then quit cause of the horse I was riding was biting and kicking..... which was a mistake I made cause my family thought I was scared.....or would grow out of my love for horses..
    This is why you learn "defence against the dark bites and kicks".... I had to learn it. There was a horse at the barn I was at who would bite and kick you as soon as look at you. He'd also try to step on your toes.... So you had to be very mindful of your feet. But instead of going behind him-- endangering yourself to kicking-- or going directly in front of him --where he could bite you... You had to go directly under his neck, making sure to hold his jaw away with your hand.
    The only horse who really frightened me, but was genuinely sympathetic for.... Was Joy, or "Joy The Not-So-Joyful" as I called her. She was beautiful, with wavy long locks flowing down like a waterfall from her neck and tail.... And was a harmonic stormy, dappled grey.. She looked like she had walked straight out of a fairytale! But she was BITTER, VERY bitter.... And unpredictable, you could never know what she was going to do. But she hated humans with a passion, and was a menace to tack...... She was fine once you got on her, it was just GETTING on her that was the problem. She was as sour a horse as I'd ever known.... But she was abused in her early life, and her life at my riding school wasn't much of a better choice in all honesty.
  • your right I should get a mare and a gelding rather getting the stallion
  • @horselover4life1989, you could get the mare and gelding like you said and if maybe down the road after researching you decide to breed your mare you could do that? Congratulations either way! You are one lucky person
  • thanks and I was going to wait till later down the road to maybe breed my mare.
  • Are you sure you are ready for one horse let alone two? Maybe you can start by caring for a horse first. I've owned my own horse, a buckskin quarter-type mare and I took care of an AQHA chestnut mare. I did everything with her.... groomed, exercise, cleaned the tack, went on trail rides, etc and it was just like being the owner.

If you think you are ready I really recommend an older gelding. When I retire I will have horses again. I plan to get an older gelding for riding and I will be specifically looking for a gelding on the smaller side. I also have my eye on two racing Thoroughbreds who are both geldings in the claiming ranks. If the stars align I would love to end up with one of them for the sole purpose of lovin’ on him.

• My only absolute requirement is I must have a mare.... I just adore fillies and mares, and they have a sass to them that geldings typically lack. Ideally, if things go right; I'd love nothing more than to breed said-mare to one of the stallions on my "stallions list" (yes, I actually have a stallions list of stallions I would like to breed to my future mare). But my more immediate goal is to adopt a mare (most likely a quarter horse) and make sure I can give her the utmost care before even considering getting her pregnant.

And, of course, ideally I'd love to volunteer and work with horses. But my medical condition makes it very difficult to perform.... Even everyday tasks. So who knows.
  • im going to own the mare and take care of her and etc but my dad will have the gelding if he wants to.....and I know he would like that cause he also likes horses but not as much as me and I have the experience where he does not really but he likes to ride and also be near horses and take care of them too...and he is a quick learner and when I had riding lessons he was all ways there.. and I even went to camp there at my stables where I had lessons..and I learned a lot and im still willing to learn more and even start back into riding lessons and etc and I even helped out someone I knew who had two horses...
  • Well that is definitely exciting! Just a suggestion though, if you're dad isn't going to be as involved an owner as you are, maybe just let him ride your mare some of the time? Just a thought.
  • that is a good idea thanks Horselover24
  • After waiting fifty years for another chance to have a horse we adopted an OTTB in February and I think it would be hard to find another horse breed with the heart of a Thoroughbred. There are so many of them out there who if not rescued and rehomed will fall through the claiming ranks and end up on a truck heading to Mexico or Canada to the slaughter houses. You would do well to consider them in your search for a horse. Good luck and have fun!!
  • After waiting fifty years for another chance to have a horse we adopted an OTTB in February and I think it would be hard to find another horse breed with the heart of a Thoroughbred. There are so many of them out there who if not rescued and rehomed will fall through the claiming ranks and end up on a truck heading to Mexico or Canada to the slaughter houses. You would do well to consider them in your search for a horse. Good luck and have fun!!
    I plan to do the same thing....adopt an OTTB. Hopefully it won't be as long as 50 years....so far only 23 years since my last horse. I have my eye on a claimer racing in New Mexico.
  • edited July 2014
    No offense to anyone but when I got my two horses which are a mare and a stallion I had no clue how to handle a stallion let alone how to take care of two horses but I did it I have breed my two horses for years my stallion Trigger who is a palomino quarter horse is still a stallion he is older now so I don't really bred him with my made Renesmee as she is older now too she is a white Arabian but I have two other horses now a gelding and a filly the geldings name is Chrome he is a dark bay thoroughbred he kind of has the same face marking as Princess Z but his is longer and a little bigger and he has four white legs and then my fillys name is Sage she is a Marwari cross with some type of draft horse she is black and white. The very funny thing is Trigger doesn't try to mess with the mares and he is still a stallion and him and Chrome are lime the best of buds but maybe that is just because of his age and his temperament cause believe me he still sometimes is a handful to handle but not bad like a young stallion they all four share the small pasture during the night but in the day time they are usually in pairs the girls with the girls and the boys with the boys most of the time so if I could handle to horses including a stallion who was 3 when I got him I am pretty sure that if she wants to try and take care of a stallion and a made then she can only if she wants to and I am not trying to be rude and I know we are all trying to help but if she wants two horses who are we to tell her that she can't get two horses or what gender of the horse or horses she has to get they will be her horses so they would be her responsiblilty and I know that she is capable of doing that but once again I am not trying to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings those are just my opinions
    I forgot to mention when the mares go into heat they are usually either in a field that is near the front of my house or are with my best friends mares next door Trigger is usually in the small pasture by him self if he starts acting up
  • Trigger is now 17 years old is it too late to geld him at all? It would be really nice not to worry about when Sage and Renesmee go into heat not having to put them in my very front field just so Trigger can't see them cause if he doesn't see them then he is fine and is best friends with Chrome but if he does see them then he is like a totally different horse please can some one let me know
  • I got some bad news but not about the horses...it's about my aunt......I just heard that she passed away.....I know it happens but it's just I knew before my grandma told me just now.... :(
  • @horselover4life1989 I am sorry for your lost
  • thanks and at least I kept two pics from when I was a baby and she was holding me then another one when I was older and I was in dancing...
  • Surreal!!!
  • and another one was when I got baptized.
  • *sighs* I think I did the right thing.....but it has to be since after my husband left I saw a rainbow so that must be a sign for new beginnings....