Helping "at risk" race horses.

Since there are many horses who are run in claiming races who are being run several times a month or constantly being hurt while running I thought I would make a discussion about it so we don't have a bunch of discussions started for horses who we think might need help.

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    I think this is a good idea. That way we have all the horses in one area
  • Rachel should we start a list here of horses to keep an eye on who may need help?
  • JanDJanD Member
    I know you are talking to Rachel, but think that would be a great idea.
  • I would just like to say a big thank you to all for their concerns and those who help these horses. I'm glad someone's looking out for them even if it's not their owners, trainers, grooms (though it should be). Bless each and every one of you.
  • @JanD Ok I will start now please comment or message me if anyone wants to put a horse on the list.

Horses who are "at risk":

Jitterbug Jane
    Tres Borrachos
  • Very good article. Now, if things can really change for the good of the horses...at least there are people willing to even talk about the problems. That's a step up.
  • Does anyone have any updates on Jitterbug Jane or Tres Borrachos? Or does anyone know of any "at risk" horses we should be watching?
  • QZF22: Good Discussion. I have a few "claimers" I'm watching, but I can't say they are at risk yet. Two are former stakes horses. I don't want them to meet the fate of Monzante
  • QZF22: Good Discussion. I have a few "claimers" I'm watching, but I can't say they are at risk yet. Two are former stakes horses. I don't want them to meet the fate of Monzante
    That's ok Especially_Horses if you message me there names I could try and watch them to prevent them from being at risk.
  • I have decided to make a facebook page or group about this to help keep track also. Does anyone know what one would be better to make or would like to help me run it?
  • Jitterbug Jane has switched Trainers, which can be a set back in working to get her off the track and retired.

I have been watching her closely. She is due to race AGAIN on July 12th at Mountaineer, race 6, claiming race. She has been running about every two weeks, her last race being June 28th.

I think of this dear brave girl, and push forward weekly to try and get her off the track. Unfortunately, just because I want things to move fast, that doesn't mean it can happen fast. I have not given up though, and I will be on it again this weekend.

The ultimate goal for her on my wish/make it happen list is to bring her to a new home in Kentucky, at this point I cannot disclose where..but if this works out, it could be wonderful for this dear girl. I would like to document her transition to a new life, maybe even have a blog for her. Hopefully, with all of us involved and working on this, things will turn out..it is taking a long time, but I remind myself the important thing is to not quit, just keep going forward.

Please say a prayer for her in her race tomorrow, that she comes back safe, and that quite soon she is able to make the transition to a new home in Kentucky, where many people can watch her starting a new life, filled with love, carrots, and peppermints.
  • A side note.

It greatly disturbs me that I have not been able to get Jitterbug Jane retired yet. However, through this process I have learned quite a bit, and that has tempered my approach. I am not throwing in the towel, not by a long shot.

If QueenZfan22, Rachel or Jan D want to private message me, I'll respond, I am not sure how to do that though!
  • JanDJanD Member
    I sent you a private message Pattycakes. I think you just click on your name in the post. That is what I did, so hopefully you will get it.
  • Pattycakes I sent you one also. the message can be found in the upper right corner of the screen. it should show an envelop with a yellow dot with how many messages you have.
  • I have decided to make a facebook page or group about this to help keep track also. Does anyone know what one would be better to make or would like to help me run it?
    I am still looking for a=someone to help me run a group or page. I will be unable to get on the internet from Sunday afternoon until late Monday or sometime Tuesday. Please message me if you are interested in helping me run the group/page and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.
  • Ok so plans are under way to help make a facebook group/ page for thiss cause. Thanks to @RebornRuffian12, @louisecastello, and @JanD for their interest in helping me. Does anyone have a good idea for a name for I? And what would reach more people a group or a page?
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    This horse will likely have steps made to save him via Auction Horse Rescue. Here is Captain Beau, his mother had a horrible fate:

Auction Horses Rescue
    Liked · 23 mins

Hip 882 - "Captain Beau," 2006 Thoroughbred gelding by Decarchy and out of Raise A.Daisy (by Ventriloquist). Last raced 9/20/2013 at Fairplex. 15.3 hh. Last year, Raise A.Daisy was found half-starved with neglected hooves in a trader's backyard, where horses are known to be used for horse tripping. We were unable to save her."
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10418271_799810620050721_6594003811390352071_n.jpg

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Captain_Beau#
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    i dont know if this horse will be saved, i sure hope so

Auction Horses Rescue
    Liked · 4 mins

"Hip 865 - "Ravens Ironwood," 2010 Thoroughbred gelding by Ravenwood and out of One Smart Tart (by In Excess). 5 starts at Los Alamitos from his first race in May, to his last race July 5, 2014 - exactly one week ago. 16.1/2 hh.

Sells tonight at Mike's Auction, located at 10415 Limonite Ave in Mira Loma, CA. Horses start selling as early as 9pm, as late as 11pm."
    https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10403527_799865500045233_5904495526506640044_n.jpg

Upon looking at Pedigree Query for his dam and going under Progeny i have found that maybe his name was changed. There is a Ravens Never More born in 2009 sired by Ravenwood. He earned a mere $350
  • Nope, there is a Ravens Ironwood. He's a bay gelding, foaled March 11, 2010 in California. Use Equibase for information about current and recent horses that have raced or recorded official works. Equineline will let you search for the progeny of a particular dam. Pedigreequery is user maintained. If no one enters the information, it won't be there.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    gotcha, im still awaiting on seeing updates of these horses. I hope he was saved, Captain Beau as well
  • Rachel and all, Ravens Ironwood was rescued by Neigh Savers. Here's the info and they still need help with funds. Also, check out the emaciated TB pictured below Ravens Ironwood. They need help with her as well. She was turned away at auction because of her condition. So Sad!!
    https://www.facebook.com/NeighSavers