Equine Abuse

Here I bring a controversial, and sensitive topic that I think would be valuable to discuss among ourselves. This topic is about the inhumane techniques used in equine sports, (aside from horse racing).... Techniques like soring in Tennessee Walking Horses, steroid use in Halter Showing Quarter Horses, the meat trade, and the like.
I'm sure people have different opinions on the matter, and as long as it isn't in SUPPORT of these training methods... I ask that you please respect everyone's opinion on the matter. If you find something upsetting to you in a comment, please address it in a respectable, and responsible manner.
That aside, this topic was specifically set to discuss such goings-on of the equine industry, and provide updates and/or articles relating to the discussion.

I look forward to how this topic will progress!

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Soring Hurts More Than Tenn. Walking Horses; Cruel Practice Damages Entire Equine Industry Image

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/08/3326591/soring-hurts-more-than-tenn-walking.html
  • I think you should let the other side comment as well if their is someone who supports these practices. How would you feel if someone didn't let you support horse racing when they were making an argument about it? Do I support these practices? No but it makes for a much more interesting debate to hear both sides of the story.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    Someone who supports training a horse with pain and abuse should not be heard

That is basically her basis on this topic, it is about the training abuse for these practices. Key word being abuse
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited July 2014
    I see your points RR12, JJfromMN, and Rachel. I think you kind of do have to allow all positions, but I very seriously doubt that you would get anyone from this Forum supporting abuse. Maybe someone could try to explain why certain practices are considered "necessary" by supporters, whom most of us would classify as sadistic idiots. lol
  • Okay, I'll start off with this link to a rescue organization that unfortunately confirms that a practice most of us don't want to acknowledge the existence of does in fact exist.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151223343350990&set=pb.45502380989.-2207520000.1405050807.&type=3&theater
  • Ah yes.... Nurse mares. It's a sad, and troublesome thing. Either way, a foal dies.
  • So sad! I want one of those babies!
    Pin Firing thoroughbreds is supposed to be an outdated practice yet I still see young horses with the scars to prove is still being done.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pin+firing+thoroughbreds&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NdK_U7yHFcWU8QHDqYDIBg&ved=0CG4QsAQ&biw=1086&bih=438
  • RachelRachel Member
    Ahh yes, over at Taylor Made Farm, Greydar looked to have pin firing done on his back legs. He has white spots on his back legs which i have come to know as a sign of pin firing
  • RachelRachel Member
    It is used to make the healing process go faster, from what i read. Looking at those pics im convinced Greydar did have it done as his spots look exactly like those pics
  • One of my son's pet peeves is the use of roll kur. This is used in western horses, hunters, and even dressage horses. The horses cannot breathe properly as is demonstrated by the blue tongue. Permanent damage may be done to cervical nerves and in some cases death results. It is a very dangerous short cut to proper training.
  • All of which leads us to the age-old question, Why are people so stupid?
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    All of which leads us to the age-old question, Why are people so stupid?
    Remember Black Beauty and the abuse of the bearing-rein? It was done to make the carriage horses look stylish.

All of these abuses have a common denominator, they are 'quick fixes' for training as well as resulting in an over-exaggeration of a desired 'image'. People aren't stupid, they're vain and they want the attention that comes with either having perfectly matched carriage horses with high heads or blue ribbons from a flashy walker gate or championships in the dressage ring.

To them the horses involved are tools for their ego. It's not stupidity, it's simple human egotistical behavior and lack of empathy for another living, breathing creature.

• RachelRachel Member
    indeed
  • All of which leads us to the age-old question, Why are people so stupid?

Remember Black Beauty and the abuse of the bearing-rein? It was done to make the carriage horses look stylish.

All of these abuses have a common denominator, they are 'quick fixes' for training as well as resulting in an over-exaggeration of a desired 'image'. People aren't stupid, they're vain and they want the attention that comes with either having perfectly matched carriage horses with high heads or blue ribbons from a flashy walker gate or championships in the dressage ring.

To them the horses involved are tools for their ego. It's not stupidity, it's simple human egotistical behavior and lack of empathy for another living, breathing creature.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Another example of cruelty in my book is selective breeding:

Think of the Halter-class Arabians.... They represent the classic image of an Arabian horse: Delicate body, showy stance, arched neck, dished face, and long flowing hair..... But this is a facade hiding the true nature of this elegant appearance. Halter-class Arabians are plagued with neurological conditions, and their narrow throat latches make it difficult to breathe.... In fact; some of them, their noses are so dished and narrow that they can no longer take a rider, because they haven't the breathing capacity to do so. But why breed such a miserable creature? In the name of the "classic image", that's why.
  • Western pleasure requires horses to have an extremely low head and tail set - not at all natural. One western rider I knew had the nerves in her horses tail cut (what DVM would do that procedure I haven't a clue!) so that he it would hang low and he couldn't swish it while showing!
  • Western pleasure requires horses to have an extremely low head and tail set - not at all natural. One western rider I knew had the nerves in her horses tail cut (what DVM would do that procedure I haven't a clue!) so that he it would hang low and he couldn't swish it while showing!
    I've heard about that! Don't they cut the nerves in the neck too? It's a barbaric practice. I want to get a Quarter Horse for my first horse..... But not a broken horse!
  • I've also heard of Arabian horses having their tails broken to acquire the "proper high carriage" of the tail.
  • I also had a friend with a Western Pleasure Mare that had the nerves cut for a low tail set. Then the mare urinated all over herself and tail. She had to wash the tail many times daily. Very cruel practice.
  • Kind of along the same lines as docking the tails or ears of certain breeds of dogs. It seems stupid to me to take something that is perfect and for whatever reason, vanity, greed, whatever, injure the animal to make it more "perfect." That's what I mean by "stupid." Some people even do it to themselves: example--they get Botox injections so they can't smile or frown and thus avoid wrinkles, Who would find such a dead expressionless face attractive?
  • RachelRachel Member
    Botox is also to get those 'sexy plump lips' everyone wants. Eck....Botox is totally abused. Its okay in certain ammounts and certain situations, but people now overdo it. Theres also butt implants, lord dont get me started....
  • I will say this about the docking of dogs tails. The reason certain breeds have their tails docked is because of the job they were designed to do. Such as some hunting dogs because their tails would get burs or foxtails in them. They could also get cuts and other things while moving through thick brush. Fun Fact: The United Kingdom used to tax working dogs that didn't have docked tails. The ban was dropped in 1796. Today do we really need to dock tails? Probably not but I could see some hunter point of view that uses dogs for haunting. In order to show certain breeds in the AKC they must have the docked tail according to breed standard.
  • I will say this about the docking of dogs tails. The reason certain breeds have their tails docked is because of the job they were designed to do. Such as some hunting dogs because their tails would get burs or foxtails in them. They could also get cuts and other things while moving through thick brush. Fun Fact: The United Kingdom used to tax working dogs that didn't have docked tails. The ban was dropped in 1796. Today do we really need to dock tails? Probably not but I could see some hunter point of view that uses dogs for haunting. In order to show certain breeds in the AKC they must have the docked tail according to breed standard.
    You point out something that is integral to abuse in general.... What STARTED these trends that lead to abuse? What was the "benefit" of a low set tail? Or why was the "big lick" needed in Tenn. Walkers? Why, and where were these trends and requirements begun? If not for these practices, abuse of this sort wouldn't exist.
  • Of course the "old style" quarter horses that had huge, bulging muscled bodies on teeny tiny feet predisposed them to lameness issues for their whole life. I worked with an old type quarter horse mare that had navicular disease, had fractured both a splint and her coffin bone, and had frequent mild bouts of laminitis. Her breeder owner gave her to the college because she could not carry foals due to these issues, otherwise she would have been bred to continue a bloodline of these problems. It was so sad for her.