Real Life Pets

This is a forum where people can list what kind of animals that they own and they can give descriptions or pictures of the pets and what the names of their pets are. I will show you the set up by using my animals as an example you can also list future types of pets that you want to have in your future. Here is mine. I am on my ipad so I cant really upload actual pictures of my actual pets so I am going to upload pictures that look like my actual animals since this is just an example, I am just going to do my dogs and then I will do my other animals
My Dogs:
Deuce- 3 year old red merle Australian Shepherd female
Texas (Tex)- 4 year old blue merle Rough Collie male
Gracelyn (Grace)- 2 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever female
Hooch- 6 year old Dogue de Bordeaux male, (he is a grumpy old man haha but still gets around great)
Shiraz- 8 year old German Wirehaired Pointer female
Shiloh- 10 year old German Shorthaired Pointer male
image This is what Deuce looks like
image This is what Tex looks like
image This is what Grace looks like
image This is what Hooch looks like
imageThis is what Shiraz looks like
imageThis is what Shiloh looks like

Comments

• My Cats:
    Hunter: 5 month old black and white Maine Coon male
    Bubbles: 2 year old "silver" Savannah Cat female
    Pounce: 4 year old Havana Brown Cat male
    Bella: 10 year old orange and white Scottish Fold female
    image This is what Hunter looks like
    image This is what Bubbles looks like and yes she is silver not the common gold like you usually see
    imageThis is what Pounce looks like
    imageThis is what Bella looks like
  • edited July 2014
    My Horses:
    Trigger: 17 year old palomino Quarter Horse stallion
    Renesmee: 19 year old white Arabian mare
    Chrome: 3 year old dark bay Thoroughbred gelding
    Sage: 3 year old black and white Marwari Draft horse cross filly
    image This is what Trigger looks like
    image This is what Renesmee looks like
    image This is what Chrome looks like the only differences between this picture and him is that he is more Zenyatta's color and his face marking is pretty much like Princess Z's it takes the same shape but goes down farther and is a little bit bigger and his stockings on his hind legs dont go that high they are a little smaller
    image This is what Sage looks like the only differences between the picture and her is that she has a little more white on her legs and black on her back. She also has the ears of a Marwari and the feathering of a draft horse, we are not sure what kind of draft horse she is crossed with we have been guessing either Belgian, Clydesdale, Shire, or Friesian. But she is defiantly not the size of a Clydesdale or Shire so we have been leaning towards the Belgian or Friesian or the rest of my family and most of my friends have been leaning towards those two. But when I am watching her in the field and when I am riding her and when she is pulling the cart she has the gate of the Friesian so i think that she is a Marwari Friesian cross either way she is a great horse
  • Right now we just have our cat Bigfoot. He has 28 toes, so fits his name well. Have no clue how to download his photo...
  • edited July 2014
    Right now we just have our cat Bigfoot. He has 28 toes, so fits his name well. Have no clue how to download his photo...
    Either do I that is why I am using pictures from the internet thats the easy way for me. I have a ton of pets six dogs, four cats, and then four horses but it might become 10 dogs and eight horses if I can talk my parents into letting me get these four puppies I want they are a Dalmatian, Siberian Husky, Beauceron, and a Shiba Inu. Then with the horses if my parents will let me get these four horses that a neighbor is selling they are a Appaloosa, Irish Hunter, Gypsy Vanner, and a Hanoverian. Actually my parents are letting me get the four puppies cause we have a big enough yard and we have kennels out side its the four horses that I am having a hard time talking them into
  • edited July 2014
    Here is what the animals that I am trying to talk my parents into look like (once again I dont have an actual picture of these because they are not mine they are for sale by neighbors and people around the block)
    This is what the Dalmatian puppy that I want looks like (I need naming suggestions for her)
    This is what the Siberian Husky puppy that I want looks like (I already have a name picked out for him on the movie Eight Below there is an all white Siberian Husky name Shorty so if I get this puppy that I want his name is either going to be Shorty or Jasper since that is the name of the dog who played Shorty, I am leaning towards Shorty though what do you guys think)
    This is what the Shiba Inu puppy that I want looks like (I need naming suggestions for her)
    This is what the Beauceron puppy that I want looks like (I have two names picked out for him either Moose or Merle what one do you think is better, I only picked Moose because they get big or Merle because of his color and one of my favorite characters that was on the show The Walking Dead was named Merle)
    This is what the Appaloosa yearling that I want looks like (I have no clue what to name him at all)
    This is what that Irish Hunter yearling that I want looks like (I have no clue what to name him at all)
    This is what the Gypsy Vanner yearling that I want looks like (I have no clue what to name her at all)
    This is what the Hanoverian yearling that I want looks like (I have no clue what to name her at all)
  • Wow, you have a zoo! Are all these "This is what the XXX that I want looks like" animals ones that you intend to get, or is this a wish list?
    Shiba puppy--Kiko-chan
    Beauceron pup--Moose, definitely
    Can't see the pics of the Appy or the Irish Hunter.
    Gypsy Vanner filly--Siobhan (pronounced Sho-von).
    The Hanoverian filly needs a German name. How about Greta?

I have two Dobermans, Daniel and Eve. Both are rescues. Daniel is an albino. He is biscuit-colored, with milk white markings where the tan would normally be. His nose is pink and his eyes are blue. He's about 10. Eve is black and tan with natural "flying" ears and the prettiest little face. She has special front paws--one is completely webbed while the other is fused and missing a toe. Her feet work just fine, though. She is very athletic and doesn't know that there is anything unusual about her feet. Eve is about 7.

I don't own a horse but wish that I did. I ride one lesson horse regularly. His name is Scotty. He's a Paint X Belgian, chestnut sabino with blue eyes. He's 20, has been a schooling horse forever, and everybody at every show in the vicinity seems to know him.

I used to own 10% of a race horse, but the managing partner sold him because he had a breathing problem. Bad decision. His new owners sprung for surgery, the horse is still running three years later, and he has made over $80K on the track. He finishes in the top 3 well over 50% of the time.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    I had horses in my younger years, my last horse was an Appendix Quarter horse who I got as a yearling and lost in his 20s to cancer (he was a gray).

Currently I have 4 cats two ginger brothers and a tuxedo sibling pair and 2 German Shepherd Dogs who I've trained in IPO.

Here is a picture of the male GSD, since I use this picture as my avatar, figured I'd post it full sized. c:

This is after he got his IPO 2 rating with high tracking and high IPO 2 honors.
  • edited July 2014
    My Pets

photo by me

This is Hera; originally we specifically bought her to breed with our male Chihuahua, Zeus. But over time she has become so much more and is a sweet, endearing member of our family.

photo by me

This is Zeus; my mom got me this black Chihuahua for Christmas about 2 years ago. Since then, he has sired 4 puppies, and despite his young age... A lot of grey hair has spread across his face.

photo by me

From left to right: Hera, Apollo, Angelos, Aries, and Zeus: The puppies, Aries, Apollo, and Angelos (Angel, for short), were born on Oct. 27th 2013. I was in a very bad state of mind back then, and taking constant care of the newborn puppies and their mother helped me get out of my rut. Apollo is the youngest, biggest in the litter, but he has his mother's very sweet, endearing personality.... His nicknames are "Big Lug" and "Thumper", because when he rolls on his belly he starts thumping his leg. Angel isn't the biggest, but has a REALLY long back with a big chest, and loves to run whenever he can: his nickname is "Little Whippet" because he looks and runs like a mini-whippet. Aries is the oldest, but smallest of the litter.... And very smart, he knows how to open doors, and climb just about anything.

photo by me
    One of our three cats: Bear. We got Bear two years ago when I was feeling very, very bad and my therapist suggested I get a pet. When I went to the shelter; he wasn't actually the cat I wanted.... But my parents fell in love with him and got him anyway, despite the fact that he had worms. And in the end I'm glad we did, because he has become the most charismatic, goofy, silly cat I've ever known.

• @ Zenyen, congrats on the IPO titles. I love GSDs, but I think it's terrible what conformation breeding has done to their rear ends. I'll bet your boy has a normal slope to his back and doesn't walk funny.
  • edited July 2014
    photo by me

This is my personal cat: Johanna Randell. I got Johanna (Or Joey, for short) at the same time we got Bear. It was a big risk, as she possibly had Feline Herpes... But it was a risk worth taking, as she became so precious to me. We call her "Princess" sometimes, because she mouths off at you when you don't do what she wants you too =) But I still love her, and every night she curls up by my side and falls asleep.

photo by my mom

One of our two spiders: Tia. Tia is a Rosehair Tarantula, and is one of the many spiders we have owned. However, she is probably the most docile tarantula we've ever had, as she is one of the few spiders I've felt safe holding.... Though she does have a tendency to suddenly speed right off your hand, which is why we never hold her too far off a surface.

photo by Kevin Bobo (my stepfather)

Shelob is a Goliath Birdeater Tarantula-- the largest Tarantula in the world. Right now she is still a juvenile, but she is still 3x the size of our other Tarantula, Tia. Our family (my stepfather in particular) have always wanted a Goliath, so one day... I had saved up enough money to buy one. So for Father's Day, I bought Shelob and brought her home with us as a surprise. At first we gave him a bowl, telling him that was his Father's Day gift, but then I came over and handed her to him. She's been a cherished member of our family ever since... And although she's not as tame as Tia is, she will soon become as large as a dinner plate and be one of the most amazing spiders we've ever owned.

Pets Not Pictured

Candi: An orange Corn Snake
    Midnight: The eldest of our cats.
  • Pets I'd Like to Own

Irish Wolfhound
    photo by Jacob von Post

Why: Anyone who knows me knows that, the bigger, the better in any breed or species. From the get-go I've had a soft spot for big dogs and horses, and that has never changed... Nor do I want it too.

Great Dane
    photo by my Grandpa

Why: The picture you see above, is my childhood friend and playmate: Hoss. Hoss was who started my lasting love of large dog breeds. In the 7 years I knew him, we forged lasting memories together.... Such as the memories of my Grandpa propping me up on Hoss's back and having me ride him like a horse! Or walking around the neighborhood as a little girl with my gigantic pale guardian. I was heartbroken at the news of his death, but his death didn't mean the end of my love of Great Danes and the like. To this day, I wish I had one of my very own.

German Shepherd

Why: German Shepherds are military and police dogs; so loyalty, discipline, and obedience is in their blood. And while German Shepherds can be fearsome opponents on the field, they are just as capable of being a loving, caring, and loyal family pet.

Friesian

Why: The horse you see pictured is Jasper 366 Sport Preferent... The horse that started my love for Friesians and set them as my most favorite horse. These horse exude power, elegance, class, mystery, and essence. But unlike most horses who carry these qualities, the Friesian is known for its' cool disposition and sweet nature. Ideally, I'd love to have a daughter of Jasper 366; but I'm not terribly picky... And know that owning ANY Friesian is a gift in itself.

Gypsy Vanner
    photo by Mark L. Bazzett

Why: The Gypsy Vanner is a majestic steed with enough hair to brush for decades.... But as I am of Gypsy blood myself, the Gypsy Vanner feels like a reconnection of my heritage.

Percheron

Why: Once again, bigger is better in my humble opinion. And they don't get much bigger than draft horses.... But the Percheron not only has the draft-horse's size and characteristic temperament, but it has an elegance, grace, and style not commonly found in draft horses. It has the power, temperament, and hardiness of a draft horse with the elegance, class, grace and style of a light horse such as the Saddlebred.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    @lauraj_cincinnati

Thank you!

Yes, you would be correct, he is what's known as 'working lines' in the GSD world, not the showline with the roached banana back and cowhocks.

There is a huge debate in the GSD world about the extremes between the two types, which the showline folks calling working line GSDs ugly and not to standard and the working line folks arguing back that at least working lines can still do the work! It's a bitter bit of politics and of course money just keeps feeding the extremes.

This is a free stack picture of my guy, as you can see a nice straight back that allows him to do all the jumps, hurdles and other athletic pursuits in IPO without breaking down physically.

I could get some angle on him if I put him in a proper stack, with one hind leg further forward than the other but he hates stacking so I don't make him do it.

Here, just for fun is a picture of him in motion.

• @ Zenyen, your boy is very handsome! Personally, I prefer functional dogs. Sometimes breeding to "the standard" is a disservice to the animals. That's one thing I like about Dobermans. The breed certainly has its problems, but a distorted conformation is not one of them. The ideal Doberman is supposed to be an athlete.

@ RR12, if I got a spider my dogs would probably try to eat it.

I share your fondness for large dogs. There's nothing quite like being leaned on by an Irish Wolfhound or Mastiff. About 80 pounds is my limit, though. I decided that I should never have a pet that I can't get to the vet by myself.

Love the Friesians. Gorgeous animals.

If you like big horses, you'd like one that I met not long ago at the Horse Park. He's a Shire Sport Horse--a cross between a Shire and a Thoroughbred. This particular horse is Shire height--over 18 hands--but has a warmblood's conformation, just a little heavier than that of a Thoroughbred. Plus, he is a sweetheart.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited July 2014
    @lauraj_cincinnati

Again thank you!

As for the Doberman, I fear I bear bad news. I recently came across a video that was just heart breaking in terms of showing the Doberman's working temperament these days. It was a national level competition, supposedly the best breeding prospects and these dogs were being run off the field just by being confronted by the suggestion of a threat.

No heart or courage in them. But they were very beautiful in terms of form and structure. Any dog breed, where they start to breed for the show ring extreme they seem to lose the core temperament/work-ability of the dog.
  • I think that video may have been...selective. I personally know several dobes, belonging to members of our local Dobe club, who have passed a working aptitude evaluation that requires them to exhibit protective behavior when presented with a hostile stranger, among other criteria. Several of them have attained Register of Merit (ROM) status--they are conformation champions, have earned a performance title, and are Working Aptitude Certified. And these are AKC dobes. The United Doberman Club puts even more emphasis on working ability. It's true that not all Dobermans can pass the WAE, but not all of them flunk by any means.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    There are dogs who can still do the work and some who can't.

What was cringe inducing about this video is that a lot of these dogs were marked "Passed" when they should have been failed.

Dogs who can legitimately pass a breed requisite test (for workability for that breed) be it IPO, ROM, Herding, etc do so for the good of the breed. Dogs who are passed because someone cross the right palm with enough money is the problem.
  • I use to have Dobermans and Doberman mixes they where great dogs very protective the only one that ever bit someone was one that we rescued but he was abused and it took him forever to get use to guys bit he became one of the best dogs ever his name was Rainy he was a Doberman Chow Chow Shepherd mix
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    If I were to have a dog now.....i would want a Bernese Moutain Dog. I have crosses paths twice in a short time span with them and immediately have fallen in love with their gentle nature. The way they go up to greet you not even knowing who you are and allowing you to pet them and love all over them. The second time i came across this breed was here at work on the 4th of july, a worker here had brought her dog in and i stumbled upon them by accident. The dog came up to me and greeted me with such welcome and warmth. I in turn gave back pets and loves, i sat in a chair and she sat down on my right side and laid her head in my lap while i stroked her head and ears. She had such a soft coat of fur that was thick and i loved the rich blackness of it. The white markings on her and brown coloring as well. They are gorgeous dogs to behold. The temperment is amazing, she brought tears to my eyes because she was so kind and loving. It touched my soul and heart, I've never fallen for a dog like that except for a boxer. I want a Bernese Moutain Dog.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernese_Mountain_Dog
  • @ Zenyen, your boy is very handsome! Personally, I prefer functional dogs. Sometimes breeding to "the standard" is a disservice to the animals. That's one thing I like about Dobermans. The breed certainly has its problems, but a distorted conformation is not one of them. The ideal Doberman is supposed to be an athlete.

@ RR12, if I got a spider my dogs would probably try to eat it.

I share your fondness for large dogs. There's nothing quite like being leaned on by an Irish Wolfhound or Mastiff. About 80 pounds is my limit, though. I decided that I should never have a pet that I can't get to the vet by myself.

Love the Friesians. Gorgeous animals.

If you like big horses, you'd like one that I met not long ago at the Horse Park. He's a Shire Sport Horse--a cross between a Shire and a Thoroughbred. This particular horse is Shire height--over 18 hands--but has a warmblood's conformation, just a little heavier than that of a Thoroughbred. Plus, he is a sweetheart.
    My mother's Chihuahuas are too scared to even approach a sock! So spider-eating is not something they would partake in. Not that we'd want them too, our spiders are as much a part of our family as our dogs are.... And while you cannot see their eyes, or get past their menacing fangs and crawling 8 legs. Spiders each have their own individual personality; such as Tia likes to drink with her butt WAAY up on the air! But once you learn to love spiders, it is a lifelong decision you will never regret... Because you become connected with one of the most misunderstood, but beautiful, and captivating creatures in the natural world.

I've had an affection for large dogs ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. And my buddy Hoss is almost entirely responsible for that.... But at the same time, large dogs always give me a sense of security. I don't want to go into any personal sob story, so.... Violins and fainting couches aside; I'll just say I had a lot of bad things going on around the time I was with Hoss. And being around my gigantic friend with his loud, bellowing bark made me feel very secure.... Almost to the point where I would rarely leave his side. Even despite my bad allergy to dogs. Ever since, I've loved all big dogs.... From the Great Dane to the Great Pyrenees.
    In fact, I even knew a Great Pyrenees that I named: French Fry! I don't know if that was his real name, but he gained it because every day I'd walk home from school, and he would always run up and bark at me through the fence. One day I was walking home with some French fries I saved after lunch to eat on the way home, when he came up to me and barked (once again) I found a little hole in the fence. I decided to stick one of my French fries through it and was quickly greeted by a big, black, wet nose... Who promptly gobbled up my French fry. Ever since, I'd bring French Fries for French Fry.

Aww, that sounds like my beloved 18K.... He's passed into the great beyond now, but words can't really describe what he meant to me.... And what he still means to me.

• I just wanted to let everyone know I got the four puppies two yesterday and two today
  • Beautiful animal @ Zenyen. Shepherds are my preferred breed. I didn't realize their was such an issue with their backs/walk until I recently put mine up for sale as she was kenneled and thought she deserved better. The police officer who took her helped me learn a lot. It wasn't until that time I found out she was from german working lines and considered a straight back. Totally agree RR12, for me, anything smaller than 50 lbs is probably not going to be mine. I just feel more confident and secure with the larger breeds.
  • @RebornRuffian12 My friend has Gypsy Vanner's they are an AWESOME breed actually i think she might have some gypsy foals for sale?
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    LOL- Gypsy Vanners are considered "mutts" in Ireland, where they originated. The "tinkers" aka gypsies, would have these horses with unknown breeding and usually loudly colored, big enough to pull the tinker's vans. Then, the crazy Americans saw some while visiting Ireland, thought they were pretty and started buying them. The more they bought, the higher the price, and the Irish have been laughing their way to the bank. (a friend who moved to Ireland about 8 years ago and is a horse trainer gave me this brief history)
  • If I were to have a dog now.....i would want a Bernese Moutain Dog. I have crosses paths twice in a short time span with them and immediately have fallen in love with their gentle nature. The way they go up to greet you not even knowing who you are and allowing you to pet them and love all over them. The second time i came across this breed was here at work on the 4th of july, a worker here had brought her dog in and i stumbled upon them by accident. The dog came up to me and greeted me with such welcome and warmth. I in turn gave back pets and loves, i sat in a chair and she sat down on my right side and laid her head in my lap while i stroked her head and ears. She had such a soft coat of fur that was thick and i loved the rich blackness of it. The white markings on her and brown coloring as well. They are gorgeous dogs to behold. The temperment is amazing, she brought tears to my eyes because she was so kind and loving. It touched my soul and heart, I've never fallen for a dog like that except for a boxer. I want a Bernese Moutain Dog.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernese_Mountain_Dog
    I met a charming Bernie at a dog show in May. She sat on my foot, leaned against me, and let me scratch her for about ten minutes. Wonderful dogs if one doesn't mind hair.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Despite the hair on the Bernese, I bet they are alot of fun. Winter wouldnt be a problem for them lol. As for summer, on hot days Id totally have the dog inside with me relaxing in the AC. Only going out for potty breaks or for some fun with swimming.