Real Life Pets

Comments

• I raised and showed Berners for a couple of years. They are such great dogs, but sadly have major issue with cancer, HD and other illness. You are lucky to get one to live past 6 now days, one of my girls I placed in a home just recently died at just over 4. One I groomed that wasn't mine just was put down because of cancer at 5... They rarely live a long time anymore, even with fantastic breeding. A lot of imports seem to be bringing cancer genetics with them.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Indeed, for those that dont know HD is Hip Displaysia. My step aunt's German Shepherd has this. Its one of the reasons why I am a little hesitant about these dogs. Its common in large dog breeds as well. Such large dogs grow so fast and have a short lifespan, its a shame :( The Boxer i had (my very first dog) lived to be 8. She had to be put down due to kidney failure. The dog my parents have now is 1 of 2 Pitbulls we had (the other had to be put down due to agressive issues we started having with her. It was a switch in her personality that we had no idea what was causing it, she just snaps. Would attack the other dog, i was devestated by her death, still am. The Pitbull my parents have left now is named Jasmine, shes a Staffordshire (the shorter, stockier breed than that of the American Pitbull Terrier), loves to lick you to death and hates it when squirrels or groundhogs get in the backyard. Shes going on 10 years old, shes the longest living dog we have had lol. We had a cat that lived to be 23. When we cremated her she could fit into a tiny little jar.
  • This will be my first time trying to post photos, so I hope this works. If I posted all the pets that I've ever owned, this post would be a mile long, but these are the dogs that I are with me now.....in fact all stretched out either on the chairs, couch or floor napping, right now. lol They are all Irish setters I've bred.

First is Nami, (GCh U-Ch Ambition Black Sands) she's eight and is now spayed. Her coat looks pretty funny in this photo because when you spay Irish setters it can cause them to get an awful orangey, cottony coat, but she had to be spayed due to health reasons. She is pictured with a lovely win at a specialty show (Irish setters only). Nami is super smart, has experience doing bird work and loves everyone she meets!

photo NAMI20132NDDAYBOSVETERANANDSELECT_zpsc89ca07f.jpg

This is her son Tristan (Bronze GCh Ambition Take Two At Analainn). He's two and a half, and has done some nice winning in his young life. He was 19 months old in this photo, so that would be why he's lacking so much coat. lol He is pictured winning the sporting group at an all breed show. The fun fact about him is that he was conceived using eleven year old frozen semen from a dog that had long passed. Obviously Nami and his sire, Patrick, were a nice compliment. :-) Tristan is a total goofball -- the essence of a "rollicking Irish setter"!

photo TristanG1_zps9e56ebe5.jpg

This is Nami's granddaughter, and Tristan's niece, Sailor (Ambition Luna Sea). She is in the litter pictured in my profile photo. This photo is about a month old, I don't have anything more recent, sorry. She's quite the sassy little puppy, but sweet as can be, too. :-)

photo sailorstack12wks2_zps6ca5d048.jpg

I hope I've done these photos right........... All these photos are my property.
  • I've been lucky with my Dobes. My first Doberman, Spike, was 13 when he died, Shelley was 11 or so, and Ben was well into double digits. My current Doberman Daniel is 10 (vet thinks he may be older), and Eve is probably 7 by now.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    HD and other health issues in the GSD is why I got working lines and also got both my dogs from overseas.

A family member of mine had heart breaking experiences with the health of their American bred GSD so when I was doing my due diligence I looked only in Europe. Still, it can always be a gamble but my female (retired IPO) is going on 8 and sound as a bell, full of vigor and no health issues to date and my male is going on 5, still working and sound as well as no health issues.
  • The youngest I've lost a setter was eleven. Thankfully setters, and my line, are quite long lived.
  • Thought I would point out that there is an open database where you can verify the health testing of the dogs you might be interested on buying offspring of. It's www.offa.org try it. Go there and plug in Ambition Black Sands. You'll see Nami has been cleared for both hip and elbow dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and thyroid issues as well as dogs behind her. European dogs can't claim to be the only exclusively healthy ones in the world and that database can prove it. Or at least I can back up the dogs I bred and own are healthy. .....
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    The OFA website is a good resource yes.

That said, I have never and would never pay money for any American bred dog.

I've had German Shepherds from Europe and Labs from England and if I continue working dogs will go back to those sources. My dogs are both my working partners as well as companions.

This is my personal feeling on the matter, nothing more or less than that.
  • To each their own I guess. I don't doubt that there are some lovely, sound, and healthy dogs on both sides of the Atlantic, it just seems exclusionary (and a bit insulting to an American breeder) to say that you would never pay money for an American bred dog. Perhaps there is more to your rationale, but it seems like a huge generalization to throw out American bred dogs on the basis of geography alone. US-based breeders could very well be using the European dogs you so approve of, or as Sarinne pointed out, have their own carefully nurtured and proven healthy bloodlines. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and preference, as is everyone. It was just your statement about never paying money for an American bred dog just seemed rather callous
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited July 2014
    I actually have years of rationale behind my statement but this is not a forum for getting into a detailed debate about dog breeding.

I don't breed (thank GOD) but I'm close enough to the bitter politics of dog breeding to have seen significant deficiencies on both sides of the puddle.

It is just my personal opinion that after decades of seeing this I would not invest in dogs bred to the AKC standards. This is my personal opinion on the AKC and I am not going to apologize for holding an opinion.

I don't argue that anyone else should feel this way, to each own and there is a LOT to be said about being able to go to a breeder, see the parents first hand, etc.
  • I never said you aren't entitled to your opinion--quite the opposite, in fact. I questioned the blanket generalization, but more so took issue with the point about never paying money for an American bred dog. Perhaps it's a difference of opinion on the choice of words, but there are obviously American dog breeders on this forum, and it does come off as disrespectful to say you would never pay money for an American bred dog, considering the hard work and dedication that undoubtedly goes into breeding and caring for them. At least you clarified that your issue is not wanting to buy a dog that is bred to the AKC standard, which I guess somewhat explains your European preference or anti-American bred sentiment. I guess in light of the episodes of unpleasantness that we've seen on the forum, it's just nice to see points made with a tactful regard for the feelings of others
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    But it's the truth.

I didn't say people shouldn't buy American bred dogs, I merely stated that I would not.
  • crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
    edited July 2014
    I didn't realize that because something is "the truth" (as you perceive it), tact or respect is unneeded in expressing it. But your point has been made. I'll stop trying to make mine.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    That was all I was trying to get too.

As we have a beautiful update on CoZ on the blog side, might I suggest we decamp to enjoy those pictures and video and allow this thread to get back on topic.
  • Thank you Zenyen and crdolce_777 for contributing your opinions and thoughts regarding dog breeding around the world. I probably would be insulted by Zenyen's comments if I hadn't shipped semen or didn't have homes in Europe on a waiting list for one of my lousy American bred dogs, who as the title of the thread suggest, are my "real life pets".

Off to check out Coz.
  • guys can we please stop fighting on my forum please? This is just a forum to post pictures of our real life pets. So here is an updated list of my real life pets I have eight new pets
    My Dogs:
    Deuce- 3 year old red merle Australian Shepherd female
    Texas (Tex)- 4 year old blue merle Rough Collie male
    Gracelyn (Grace)- 2 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever female
    Hooch- 6 year old Dogue de Bordeaux male, (he is a grumpy old man haha but still gets around great)
    Shiraz- 8 year old German Wirehaired Pointer female
    Shiloh- 10 year old German Shorthaired Pointer male
    Joelle (JoJo)- 4 month old Dalmatian liver spotted female
    Shorty- 3 month old white Siberian Husky male
    Kika- 4 month old black and tan Shiba Inu female
    Moose- 3 month old merle Beauceron male
    My Cats:
    Hunter: 5 month old black and white Maine Coon male
    Bubbles: 2 year old "silver" Savannah Cat female
    Pounce: 4 year old Havana Brown Cat male
    Bella: 10 year old orange and white Scottish Fold female
    My Horses:
    Trigger: 17 year old palomino Quarter Horse stallion
    Renesmee: 19 year old white Arabian mare
    Chrome: 3 year old dark bay Thoroughbred gelding
    Sage: 3 year old black and white Marwari Draft horse cross mare
    Bayne: yearling bay spotted blanket Appaloosa colt
    Comanche: yearling chestnut Irish Hunter (reminds me of California Chrome) colt
    Greta: yearling black Hanoverian filly
    Amber: yearling dark bay tobiano Gypsy Vanner filly
  • This is my Siberian Husky, Tasha who passed exactly a year ago today.
    And this is Madison, my 10-month-old Bullmastiff puppy.
    I have a lot more photos of both of my girls if anyone is interested in seeing them.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Sarinne- I love Irish Setters.... especially after reading the Big Red books. :)
  • @Casey I use to have an Irish setter mix I believe that is what Red was I believe
  • Looks like several of us on here are partial to the bigger breeds. My husband tells me "You have a horse outside" (referring to my dogs). All things aside, all the animals posted here are beautiful and I'm sure well spoiled
  • @Casey they are a FUN breed! And truly wonderful pets, loving, active (yet totally happy to sack out with you on the couch lol) and completely biddable. Here are some more candid photos I uploaded. I know it may seem odd, but most of the photos I have on my computer are "stacked" conformation photos.

This is Sandy (Nami's dam, Tristan's granddam, Sailor's great granddam). She was a total tomboy, and oh so feisty. I love this photo. :-)

photo Sandyhead2.jpg

Who can resist baby pics? hahaha This is Tristan and his litter sister, Alice (Sailor's dam).

photo BrotherSisterkiss.jpg

This is Hudson (Nami's son, and half-brother to Tristan and Alice), the morning after he was born.

photo Redboyface.jpg

Second try at photos, hope these work and you enjoy them. Again, they are my personal property.
  • Great pictures everyone! Pepper, I love both yours, but have always been interested in Bullmastiffs. I hope you'll share more of Madison as he/she grows. I fear I'm too old for one so big at this point. but I sure do love seeing them. Lol

I also am partial to the large dogs and have always had labs and Goldens or lab-Golden mixes, but recently rescued a German Shepherd mix from our local shelter. Wow, I love her to death, but she is so different from the sporting breeds personality wise. She is NOT as laid back and likes to be kept busy, but I think she may be the smartest I've ever had. She is just so clever. One of these days I'll figure out how to get my photos on here.
  • Guys I was walking two of my dogs and I found these two Pit bulls tied up to trees in the woods they are both skin in bones and their was a box of puppies so of course I called my friends and they helped me out we took the adult dogs to the vet today and they were not microchiped and they had choke chains on them and have scars on their bodies there is a male and female three of the twelve puppies have passed away. How can people be so cruel and the adult male has an issue with his left hind leg and front right leg they think that they where used as bait dogs including the female dog so I guess this is what happens when people think the bait dogs aren't useful anymore the two adult dogs are extremely dog friendly and I am planning on keeping them and the puppies are still to young to be put up for sale people make me so angry
  • RachelRachel Member
    The world of dog fighting is too cruel for words. The female was likely bred so her puppies could be turned into fighting dogs, bait dogs certainly isnt out of the question either.
  • The female has scars all over her body as well so I have a feeling that she was used as a bait dog and then used for breeding but I don't have pictures of them on my computer but I will post pictures of what they look like