Real Life Pets

Comments

• An update on Hooch, the vet is giving him fluids right now since he was dehydrated for an odd reason and he is going to be getting x-rays on his stomach region, and they are going to be taking blood from him to test, more updates to come
  • Another update Hooch's blood work game back normal, he is still getting fluids, and we are still waiting for him to get his x-rays on his stomach region done. Once again I am getting this updates from my mom who has been texting me giving me updates about his condition
  • Another update on Hooch he got his x-rays done and nothing appears to be wrong in his stomach region which is a good thing. There is a little fluid around his lungs like he is starting to get a heart memer but there is medicine for that. The vet checked his joints and believes that it is just the beginning signs of arthritis which is the reason why it hurts him to walk, they are just going to keep him over night just so they can keep an eye on him especially since he was dehydrated for an odd reason but the good thing is that he is alert and still loves everyone
  • I'm so glad that his blood work came back clear and that the x-rays show nothing life threatening. Hope he recovers soon!
  • blankblank Member
    edited September 2014
    We welcomed a new puppy into our home. According to the dna done by the rescue, he is a mix of Boston Terrier, Pug and Beagle. He's fit right in, and is probably the quickest learning pup I have ever seen. I don't think he's going to get any bigger than 25lbs, but I've had a few people stop and ask if he's a Boxer pup, and one lady was pretty adamant that he was a Pitbull pup, even when I told her what his mix was. We love him already, and call him Archie. He & the kitten got along right off, most likely because they're both still so young. Anyway, a few pics. He's a happy pooch.

photo 374166_104924449667253_1580591458_n_zps1b36190e.jpg

SQUIRREL!

photo 602273_104924459667252_863011087_n_zpsdde9e101.jpg
  • @Senaks I love the pictures you've posted! You have super cute pets! :)
  • Aww, He is absolutely adorable!
  • @Senaks I love the pictures you've posted! You have super cute pets! :)
    Thank you. Our little menagerie snuck up on me!

• He looks every bit Boston Terrier, Pug, and Beagle. Hmm...what would you call that? A pug and beagle is called a Puggle.....so, Boston Puggle? LOL. He is super adorable
  • He looks every bit Boston Terrier, Pug, and Beagle. Hmm...what would you call that? A pug and beagle is called a Puggle.....so, Boston Puggle? LOL. He is super adorable
    From what I can gather on Google, there actually is a "designer breed" (ugh - loathe that trend), called a Boglen Terrier, which is a cross of Boston Terrier and Beagle. Archie looks an awful lot like a lot of them. He's the perfect blend of all his breeds. I like Boston Terriers because they're quirky, I like Pugs because they're sweet, and I like Beagles because they're a dog's dog. I found Archie while looking into rescues for all 3, so talk about luck.. lol. I wanted my son to grow up with a Beagle type dog.. just seemed like the perfect buddy for a little boy.

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Archie is a cutie!
  • Sometimes a mixed breed is the best kinda dog. LIke having the best of multiple worlds lol
    He looks every bit Boston Terrier, Pug, and Beagle. Hmm...what would you call that? A pug and beagle is called a Puggle.....so, Boston Puggle? LOL. He is super adorable

From what I can gather on Google, there actually is a "designer breed" (ugh - loathe that trend), called a Boglen Terrier, which is a cross of Boston Terrier and Beagle. Archie looks an awful lot like a lot of them. He's the perfect blend of all his breeds. I like Boston Terriers because they're quirky, I like Pugs because they're sweet, and I like Beagles because they're a dog's dog. I found Archie while looking into rescues for all 3, so talk about luck.. lol. I wanted my son to grow up with a Beagle type dog.. just seemed like the perfect buddy for a little boy.

• RachelRachel Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, here is a pic of my dog Koda. She is a American Pitbull Terrier that lived to be 2 years old. We had to put her down in 2012 due to her becoming way too aggressive. Still is heartbreaking to me and i am forever traumatized with what happened that day we had to sign her over.

But despite those bad things, she was very unique. She had a toy football that she loved to play with. If you threw it she would attempt to catch it with both her mouth and her front feet. My parents have a small pond in the backyard and she would patiently wait until one of the fish came to the surface and she would pounce on it and catch it with her mouth and drop it into the yard and not eat it. She would do this continuously until we told her to stop lol. We had almost 100 fish in the pond so we let her do this to thin them out. We cant dump them anywhere or take them to the pet shop, so what do you do? They just kept breeding and it was insane o.o She hated squirrels and cats, loved going hiking, and loved eating Pig Ears. She was my best friend, listened to me and slept with me. It is a shame she was the way she was :(

She had some brindle markings along her back

When we had her euthanized, we opted to cremate her and we cremated her in this blanket. It was her favorite blanket that she got for Christmas before the incident happened 3 months later :(

• RachelRachel Member
    edited September 2014
    And here is my other dog, Jasmine. She is a 15 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. They are a short and bulky pitbull. This girl will lick you to death and cause you to fall off the bed cuz she hogs it so much LOL. She is the sweetest dog we have had since Lexy (my very first dog ever, she was a Boxer, will add her as well once i find a picture). She hates squirrels as well and cats. Cannot stand it when anything gets into the yard if it isnt supposed to be there, not even birds lol. She has already killed a groundhog that wandered into the yard. She met up with a Opossum one day and it was smart to play dead and lay there until she thought 'eh, not even worth my time'. She was very confused about it haha. We got Jasmine when she was 8 weeks old and when Lexy (the boxer) was getting up there in years and we figured she needed a buddy to play with. Jasmine is blind in her one eye, and one of her ears isn't exactly perfect due to the reconstructive surgery we had to have done after that fateful day with Koda. Infact, Koda is the one who caused Jasmine's eye to go blind :( You see, the reason why Koda had to be put down was because she kept attacking Jasmine for absurd reasons. During that fateful day, it was the worse attack Koda did on Jasmine. Jasmine's ear was torn and bleeding alot and she had bite wounds all over her neck, she was a bloody mess. I was home alone that day and had to call animal control, i could not get them to stop. I thought they were fighting to the death, of course Jasmine was only defending herself. I was covered in blood and crying my eyes out, had to take off work that day. I cried all day and into the evening, cried myself to sleep cuz i knew what it would mean for my Koda. She would be put down cuz there was no other way, we couldnt rehome her due to her being aggressive. I still have nightmares about that day and I am a little bit afraid of Pitbulls now and dog fights in general, the way they sound. You will never forget the sound of flesh being torn. I never did get to say goodbye to my Koda, i couldnt bear to see her being left behind in that kennel, knowing 10 days later she would be killed. I wanted so bad for there to be another way. I can only hope she is in a better place now, and God has healed her mind from all aggression and she is a happy dog now. She loved life, she was so full of it, when she wasnt being mean.

But, here is Jasmine. Her ear that is forever disfigured is the one of the right...it will always be in that position now. You can see her blind eye in this pic too.

She likes to cuddle, a real love bug.

And lick you to death

She's pretty good with car rides. Here she is in my old car in the passenger seat lol, i could almost just strap the seat belt on her and she would still just sit there in that way xD

Here she is in my old apartment (I so miss that place)
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited September 2014
    And here is my Vinci! Davinci is his name and he is the oddest cat I ever raised. He doesnt live with me however, he lives with my boyfriend's mom. Me and my boyfriend were traveling along one day in his truck and we stopped at Wallgreens for something i forget. Well, one of the employees was going around asking people if they wanted a little black kitten. We declined when she asked us cuz we didnt have a place to keep him and my parents wouldnt go for it considering at the time there was jasmine and koda who hated cats and me and my boyfriend both lived with my parents then lol. But after a while by boyfriend decides to turn the truck around and head back to wallgreens. I asked him what he was doing and he said 'we're gunna take that kitten'. I was like omg are you serious? so we arrive at wallgreens again and we tell the woman that we will take him. They give us a little carton of milk that they were feeding him, a little cat bed for him to sleep in and a zebra print blanket to line the cat bed with. Little Davinci was nothing but a puff of fur and bones, he was so skinny under all that fur. I bought a little can of wet kitten food for him to eat cuz he didnt have all his teeth in (he had to be not even 8 weeks old yet). The woman said they found him roaming around by the parking lot and they suspect someone dumped him out on the street along with the other kittens in the litter (they never found them, just him). And so, we took on a responsibility of raising a malnourished kitten. Me and my boyfriend took him back to his mom's house. Once there i proceeded to get him some food. I got a plate and attempted to spoon feed the little guy, he was so starved he bout bit my finger off! He latched onto my finger and wouldnt let go and started growling LOL it was so cute and funny. So i fed him a little bit, cuz i didnt want to over feed him and make him sick. He gobbled it all right up and had a messy mouth to boot! I had to wipe his mouth off with a napkin. He was so adorable, i fell in love with him then. But we couldnt take him back to my parents house so my boyfriend had an idea of letting his mom know about the kitten. He told her about Davinci and knowing she always wanted a black cat she told my boyfriend that she would keep him. And thus little Davinci had a home and i would still be taking care of him. I got rid of most of his fleas, my boyfriends mom got rid of the rest of him. I combed him out and took real good care of him. He turned into a beautiful long haired cat with green eyes that change into a yellow/gold color. He hates outside though, he will look outside but wants no part of it. It might be because he was traumatized by it with being dumped and having to fend for himself when he was a kitten. Which is fine by me, i never want him outside lol.

Here is Davinci doing his best interpretation of Gandalf! (Vinci will pick up his own fur laying on the floor and position it onto his mouth with his paw until it is just right and parade around the house with his 'beard' LOL). When he does this we like to call him Gandalf the Black!

He likes to stare at you with a look of Indifference lol
  • Horselover24 Thank you so much my dad actually got home early today and since my cousin Ashley is a vet she has keys to the clinic so my dad called and she actually told my dad to go and pick Hooch up so my dad left like 3 minutes ago so we will have Hooch back home in no time, and I mean if this is his signs of I am getting old so you guys better get prepared then I would rather have him at home than be at the vet's office but I think it is just arthritis
  • Hooch is back at home and is actually acting normal he is running around and can actually walk so thank you for all of the prayers for his health
  • blankblank Member
    edited September 2014
    Beautiful animals, Rachel. I'm sorry to hear about Koda, that is tough.

My parents had to put their dog down recently, due to severe aggression, so I can empathise. He'd always been very watchful & protective, but when he turned 5, it began to escalate. With us, he was a loving, loyal family pet, but he HATED children and anyone that stepped into the 2 foot bubble he put around us. My folks tried for months to find a solution. They called a guy called Ben Kersen (a well known dog behaviour expert here in Canada), who came out for an afternoon and his suggestion was pretty grim. As was the advice of the 2 RCMP dog handlers that came the following week. All 3 advised he be put down. He had nothing physically wrong with him, a full vet exam showed nothing going on neurologically that could account for his viciousness. It was a pretty rough year for us, that year. Trying to figure out how to dog proof the home and yard, just in case he managed to get out somehow. My Mom said one time, that she had a reoccurring image of him latching onto a child's throat and just shaking that child. I have to admit, that I was afraid of the same thing happening. He was a 150lb Rottweiler, a beautiful dog.. well bred, no history in his lineage of being "mean".. protective, watchful, aloof with stranger, sure.. but not viciousness. After consulting with the vet, my folks decided to put him quietly to sleep. I remember they decided on a Saturday night to do have it done, and the next morning called the vet (who had prior, said she would do it anytime.. she was quite supportive as well). The vet came the next afternoon, a Sunday. We had spent the morning feeding Max his favourite treats, he must have eaten 5 meatball subs from Subway (his absolute favourite "treat"!), and we all just loved on him. My Dad had earlier gotten a prescription for some tranquilizers for him (because while he did tolerate the vet, he could be unpredictable with her at times), and he was given a few, so that when the vet arrived, he was in a fairly calm, relaxed state. We had a coffee before hand, and talked about our feeling of guilt. The vet was very reassuring and non-judgemental. After coffee, we all went into the living room, sat around Max, and said our goodbyes to him. The vet was quick about everything, so he left this world unstressed. I was pretty devastated for awhile. Had to work out tremendous feelings of guilt. I would watch Cesar Millan's show, and try to compare our situation with others on the show who had aggressive dogs, thinking "Why couldn't it have worked for him?" But, I knew in my heart that we did the right thing. Max would have killed someone if he could. Such a shame, he was a beautiful dog, and he was wonderful with us.

I don't often share Max's story, because of the judgement I sometimes get. I don't think people realize that not everything is black and white. Sure, we could have lied and given Max to a rescue, or the humane society.. but even if by some slim chance he made it through their testing, how fair would it be to the next person who had him? People don't think about that. The RCMP officers said he tested at a 10 for temperament. Police dogs test at a 7, ideally. They said that dogs who test at 10 are known as "fence" dogs.. dogs who live in areas that need protecting.. junkyards, garages, etc... There was no way we wanted to see him end up like that. Basically ignored for the rest of his life, isolated. We made the decision we thought was right, and I'm sure you did as well. That's what a responsible pet owner does. Cheers!

photo 936660_675127875911468_8909305741327289051_n_zps97b54ec0.jpg

• edited September 2014
    yes, that is what a responsible pet owner does. There are so many of our family members and family friends wanted us to put down Hooch when he turned two years old because he was "too aggressive" towards them the thing he is a Dogue de Bordeaux which is a dog that is very protective of his family well most of my family never meet him when he was a puppy so he would growl and bark at them since he didnt know them but once he got to know them he would be fine, he is probably one of the best dogs I have ever had but some of our family members and family friends still say that we are horrible dog owners since we havent put him down yet cause of his so called aggression
  • I think what makes Koda's death even more horrible for me is the fact she had to die alone without her family members. For 10 days she was at the SPCA in quarantine, and after that time was up they put her down cuz we had signed her over to them. I hate that she had to die without her family present :(
  • Aww, Rachel, I'm sorry! What a horrible thing that must have been, but I'm sure she had no idea what was happening. I think you had to do what you had to do, as hard as it must have been.
  • Its been 2 years and still cant get over it. It hits me every now and then. But I have great news, I get to see my Vinci kitty tomorrow. Me and my boyfriend are heading down to The Hampons in the Norfolk area where his mom lives. I havent seen my Vinci going on 2 years now.
  • Oh, that sounds great, Rachel! You guys be careful and have fun.

As far as getting over Koda's death, it's normal to still not be over it. The dog in my avatar was my heart dog who died in 2012 and I'm not even close to being over it, even though I got a new puppy afterwards and still had another dog. I love these two dearly, but they don't take away the hurt, they just keep me busy enough not to think about him constantly. However, at night in bed, I still sometimes cry over him. Some of these animals, I don't think we EVER get over.

You and your boyfriend be safe on your trip!
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    "I don't often share Max's story, because of the judgement I sometimes get. I don't think people realize that not everything is black and white. Sure, we could have lied and given Max to a rescue, or the humane society.. but even if by some slim chance he made it through their testing, how fair would it be to the next person who had him?"

Senaks, no judgment here. You did the absolutely right thing- you TRIED to help Max by getting professional help and the assessment of not 1, but 3 different professionals. You knew that it needed to be done, and you did it in a calm, respectful manor, keeping Max's needs foremost. Thank you for making this very tough decision
  • Senaks, I had a similar situation with a Dobie. Sabrina was agressive towards my 5 yr old daughter. Long story short, I had her put down after consulting with my neighbor who was a k9 cop handler, and a doberman rescue that insisted I put the dog to sleep. They said that Sabrina viewed my daughter as below her in the pack pecking order, and always would. The decision was pretty easy, the child comes first. Leanna is almost 21 now, and loves dogs very much. Sabrina's end was gentle and calm, she was loved.