Beholder

I couldn't find where Beholder ever had her own Discussion thread. Anyway she had a workout today. Her last workout was June 2, right before her 4th place finish, June 7th, in the Ogden Phipps Stakes (Gr. 1).

Date: August 1, 2014
Track: DEL MAR
Distance: Three Furlongs
Time: 39:60 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: All Weather Track

Comments

• From Spendthrift Farm facebook: Our champion Beholder worked a very impressive 5/8ths in 58.80 this morning at Del Mar.
  • Beholder's official twitter page: Beholder @Beholder_Filly
  • Got a "User not found."
  • Got a "User not found."
    VA did you type in @Beholder_Filly or just Beholder?
  • Oh, I didn't type. I clicked. I should try typing. I don't know about all these new-fangled things. I'll try typing.
  • Got it. Looked through lots of the pictures and was startled to find one of Zenyatta and Princess Z.

I mentioned this earlier and repeat it here because I think it's so cool--Richard Mandella was a senior at Beaumont High School in 1968-1969, the year I taught there. I didn't have him in any of my classes, but I may have seen him wandering around campus. He's in my yearbook, of course. Small world.
  • Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    The rich get richer -- Mike Smith will ride two-time champion Beholder when she returns to action. Smith just worked her 7f in 1:24. #delmar
  • KetaKeta Member
    Smith Named to Replace Stevens on Beholder
    By Jim Charvat San Diego Horse Race August 25, 2014
    Just when you thought Mike Smith’s life couldn’t get any better, it has.
    Fresh off his 4-win day Sunday at Del Mar, including two stakes races, including the G1 Pacific Classic, jockey Mike Smith has been named to replace, Gary Stevens, aboard Eclipse Award winner, Beholder.
    The veteran jockey was aboard the champion mare this morning at Del Mar when she worked 7-furlongs in 1:24. She started the work five back of her workmate and was a length ahead at the finish. Afterward, trainer Richard Mandella, who lost his champion filly’s regular rider when… Stevens underwent knee replacement surgery, confirmed the switch to Smith. Stevens is not expected back until after the first of the year, if at all.
    http://sdhorserace.com/2014/08/25/smith-named-to-replace-stevens-on-beholder/

• Hip 29 - Clarkland Farm, which bred champion juvenile filly and champion 3-year-old filly Beholder, brings that filly’s half sister to two-time Horse of the Year Curlin . The daughter of stakes winner Leslie’s Lady, by Tricky Creek, also is a half sister to successful young sire Into Mischief
  • 2014 September Yearling Sale: HIP 29 (Curlin-Leslie's Lady):
  • Nice looking filly.
  • Very nice looking filly. Looks way older than yearling, showing nice full neck flesh. Good luck to her.
  • Beholder · Sep 13 2014
    Workout!
    She worked out at Santa Anita!
    Glad she is back-stay well
  • Beholder has been working regularly since checking in a disappointing fourth in the Ogden Phipps back on 6/7. In fact, in her quest to be the second horse to win three Breeders’ Cup races (Goldikova), Beholder worked a mile in 1:38.00 yesterday at Santa Anita and appears on track to face Iotapa and settle who’s the best in the West in the Zenyatta Stakes.
  • DRFBreeding ‏@DRFBreeding 11m
    Two-time champion Beholder to be offered for sale at #FTNov. Story to follow
  • Beholder is running September 27th in the Zenyatta Stakes. She will be ridden by Mike Smith. She is trained by Richard Mandella and owned by Spendthrift Farm LLC.
  • Hope p of s and BH find high bidders in u.s. prices have been high for high quality mares at recent high profile sales. Certify Godolphin Cartier 2 yr old has been retired to Godolphin broodmare band tried comeback this year after yr off because of England doping scandal. Successful in Dubai but not in England with top ranked company. Girls or some respond to bio clocks.
  • Mike Smith Entries
    Santa Anita - 9/27/2014
    Race Race Type Horse Trainer
    4 Maiden Special Weight Smuggler Union Howard Zucker
    5 Zenyatta Stakes - Gr. 1 Beholder Richard Mandella
    6 FrontRunner Stakes - Gr. 1 Conquest Panthera Mark Casse
    7 Rodeo Drive Stakes - Gr. 1 Moulin de Mougin Richard Mandella
    8 Awesome Again Stakes - Gr. 1 Shared Belief Jerry Hollendorfer
    9 Unzip Me Stakes Kool Kat James Cassidy
    10 Chandelier Stakes - Gr. 1 Dad's Princess James Cassidy
  • Champion Beholder to be offered at Fasig-Tipton November sale
    Edited release: Spendthrift Farm Press Release Sept. 24 2014
    The list of high-profile mares slated to sell at the Fasig-Tipton November sale continues to grow as it was announced Wednesday evening that two-time Eclipse Award and Breeders’ Cup winner Beholder would be offered at the auction days after her expected title defense in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff. Owner B. Wayne Hughes’ Spendthrift Farm will consign the 4-year-old filly.
    “Beholder is a truly special filly,” said Ned Toffey, Spendthrift general manager. “Her conformation is both flawless and spectacular. As a half-sister to one of the most exciting young stallions (Into Mischief) in the world, her pedigree really is unique and her race record quite simply speaks for itself.”
    http://horseracing.bloginky.com/2014/09/24/champion-beholder-to-be-offered-at-fasig-tipton-november-sale/
    by Alicia Wincze Hughes on horse racing
  • I can't even begin to imagine what number the hammer is going to come down at....
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited September 2014
    Maybe as much as Havre de Grace, what was it? 10 Million?
  • threecoltshandicap ‏@3coltshandicap 4s
    Beholder schooling and feeling good. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Byfq7c9CMAIXTPO.jpg