Beholder

Comments

• Ugh. Yeah I don't like it either.

I suggested Bemold. :)
  • I'm not loving it either....
  • Wow. Just wow :(

I suggested a rather noble name in Embolden.
  • I guess they really don't take naming thoroughbreds all that seriously anymore like in the old days when they had noteworthy names.
  • Are you kidding me!

So...her colt has a name...

Q B One

Excuse me, but what? I read the reasoning for it and like...I get it, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

• @Especially_Horses - I really really wish that I was...
  • KMMKMM Member
    My submission was No holds barred. Oh well...
  • Eh, is it really any worse than Cozmic One?

Hopefully he has a more fitting stable name.
  • So I haven't gone to the site to read the explanation, but I'm guessing it's because they are calling Beholder Queen Bee, so this is Queen Bee's first foal...thus Q B One. Did I guess pretty close? I'll have to go see. You guys are being polite. I hate the name. And I am not just saying that because I think my suggestions were better, LOL.

Mo Majesty
    MO'Nificent
    Monsieur Mo

@Rachel : I like your suggested name very much. And you are right, some of the names these days would make me cringe if they ended up associated to Champion. Some of these people need to go read C.W. Anderson's book on Thoroughbreds and his Chapter called "Give a Boy a Good Name".

Can't help myself with this next little part....
    Cozmic One
    Q B One

Yeah, I know the One in Cozmic One is meant as a noun or is it pronoun, whatever. But I guess in this case the One is meant as the first.

@Especially_Horses - I really really wish that I was...

• Cozmic One was a terrible name too xD We shouldn't be sinking to that level for all first foals out of great mares.
  • Ha-ha....I was typing my thought on that just as you posted and didn't see your comment until after I posted.
    Zenyen said:

Eh, is it really any worse than Cozmic One?

Hopefully he has a more fitting stable name.

• So...her colt has a name...

Q B One

Excuse me, but what? I read the reasoning for it and like...I get it, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

Q B One. Sounds like one of the droids from "Star Wars." R2-D2, C3-PO, BB-8, meet QB-1.

I suggested Mo'narch to Behold. Didn't think it would win, but IMO it's better than what they chose. Oh well, it was fun to play.
  • The explanation on the website is it represents two meanings.

Queen Beholder's One or first and also apparently it is the starting position of the quarterback in football, QB1. They said that due to the hope that this colt will carry a team to glory like some of the top quarterbacks from the NFL ... thus two birds one stone.
  • I suggested Behold the Boss.

He just looked like an alpha male to me.
  • Zenyen said:

The explanation on the website is it represents two meanings.

Queen Beholder's One or first and also apparently it is the starting position of the quarterback in football, QB1. They said that due to the hope that this colt will carry a team to glory like some of the top quarterbacks from the NFL ... thus two birds one stone.

To be honest, I like the QB1 reasoning better than Queen Beholder's One. It's probably just me, but I'm not all into the cutesy names that horses seem to inherit from their parents.
  • QB1 . Well --- it's a name, wouldn't have been my choice but hopefully in a couple o years it will roll off the race caller's tongue with ease. When I first heard it, I immediately thought of --- CP30 and Star Wars !
  • Well, my son was born on National Star Wars Day haha. His name could of been Luke but we chose Liam. Coincidentally, Liam Neson plays in one of the new Star Wars movies LOL. Oh my.
  • It also sounds a bit "off," even in our gender-fluid times,
    to be naming a male horse the equivalent of "Queen Bee One." If the intent is more the quarterback connotation, that's conventionally written with no space as "QB." Basically, the name is a fail on every level. I thought for sure that, if they wanted a reference to the parents, they'd pick something with a tiny bit of wit such as "Mo and Behold."
  • oriflamme said:

It also sounds a bit "off," even in our gender-fluid times,
    to be naming a male horse the equivalent of "Queen Bee One." If the intent is more the quarterback connotation, that's conventionally written with no space as "QB." Basically, the name is a fail on every level. I thought for sure that, if they wanted a reference to the parents, they'd pick something with a tiny bit of wit such as "Mo and Behold."

Agreed! Or even "Mobe"! Oh well, thankfully their names don't effect their on track performance.
  • So...her colt has a name...

Q B One

@jaefeathered I agree I hate it but here is the reason behind the choice.
  • Sounds rather cube-ie to me. Ugh. That's even worse than square-shaped. Not so good for a racehorse. :)
  • @QueenZFan22 - I know, I read the reasoning on the blog when it was initially posted. Still think it's dumb.