Beholder

Comments

• So glad I watched it on live TV--getting to watch history in the making. I think the riders of Bayern and whatisname who was racing in 2nd for so long were using the strategy of wearing Beholder out. Didn't work, obviously, and they ended up in last and next to last place. hahahaha. The talking heads were then going on about a match between Beholder and American Pharoah in the Breeders' Cup Classic. That would really be something to see.
  • I don't think people actually mean a two horse match race. I think they just want them to meet up like Shared Belief and California Chrome did in the San Antonio earlier this year.
    That would be fine. I would love to see them race each other in a race with other horses. When I saw "match race," I immediately thought bad things. They scare me.

• So glad I watched it on live TV--getting to watch history in the making. I think the riders of Bayern and whatisname who was racing in 2nd for so long were using the strategy of wearing Beholder out. Didn't work, obviously, and they ended up in last and next to last place. hahahaha. The talking heads were then going on about a match between Beholder and American Pharoah in the Breeders' Cup Classic. That would really be something to see.
    The other horse with Bayern at the lead during the race was Midnight Storm (10).
  • I don't know if you guys heard the interview with Gary Stevens after the race or not, but he said that he never even asked her to go past the leaders. Her explosive move was done all on her own. He only decided to ask her a little once they were well into the stretch and just shook the reins and showed her the whip. She is an amazing animal.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    But It did look like Gary Stevens gave Beholder a single quick touch with the whip at the top of the stretch on her butt. Amazing, Beholder is so experienced, Gary Stevens was merely a passenger to add weight for the ride! Wonderful feminine intelligence!
  • KMMKMM Member
    A hand ride--two pros!:)
  • "Wonderful feminine intelligence!" Indeed, @Paniolo_Gal, I love that!
  • Hey..Hey. Fillies are smarter. Have you seen newborn fillies catch on very quickly, where to go for the milkbar vs the slow learning colts?
  • Watched the race with the help of Calracing, and it was amazing. Beholder just took off, flew by the field, and then put the boys away by 8 lengths. Wow! I am wondering which race her connections will choose for the Breeders Cup. Will the BC be the Classic or the Distaff?
  • I hope the Classic...
  • Welcome to the parade...all late comers can find a seat with good viewing...laugh out loud and run free. There wasn't a single group near that played beholder,and didn't see much from this forum. Well she won. Lizzie and I found a room, which at the late date was a surprise, and came....and saw. I bated you people to participate in history and most said no.
    Jump on now to your shame.
  • After Ruffian, for me there will never be a safe match race again, and I think they will prove nothing that we do not already know. Beholder and AP are great horses!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Looked at her early pedigree analysis stories. On phone, so can't do links, or do not know how. Sire and dam are described as sprinters, but Heneesy's grandsire is Stormcat. I think half brother into Mischief got a G1 at least a mile and 1/16. This was a mile and 1/4? What is BC Classic distance? I think she is throwback and has it in spades. Will post pedigree story links for her on Monday, unless someone beats me to it. Both parents were good at about 6 plus furlongs, sprinters.
  • Pedigree only describes the performance of her forebears. It doesn't take into account her own abilities and performance. She's fast like a sprinter, true, but she has a broad beam with lots of power. What a great combination. She's also in fine physical condition; she's a real athlete with an athlete's stamina. No one mentioned anything about a special match race. They wanted to see her and AP matched in a regular race, with other horses as well. That would be interesting. The BCC sounds promising.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Blood horse story has B. Wayne and Stevens out of themselves with enthusiasm for her. Me too!!!
  • KMMKMM Member
    No decisions made about BC races. They are just enjoying her and win. According to Gary, she did it all.
  • This was the best live race I have ever witnessed!! I'll try to figure out how to post my pics. In addition I ran into Bob Baffert on the way out a and got a selfie with him!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Lizzie, you make me smile. :) smile back to you
  • Tincup thinks that we may be seeing something never done before. Qualifying for the BCC after beating the boys in the Pacific Classic. Beholder is going in to contest the triple crown winner in the biggest race on the planet. If she were to do this it would supplant any other claim on the greatest mare.
  • I would have to agree! If she beat AP...WOW!
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think she can, but I have been her fan for years, and always like the underdog. Said above. They both make winning look easy. I don't think either one has been fully tested at their prime, which is this year. Let us hope they both stay healthy and sound and are able to meet in BC Classic
  • KMMKMM Member
    I was reading a bit of her history, and younger, she won wire to wire. As a maturer racer, she has learned to rate, and come off of the pace. Gary said she did this on her own. She is a pro. Hope Luckas keeps her when she is retired. Don't want her to go to Japan.
  • "Wonderful feminine intelligence!" Indeed, @Paniolo_Gal, I love that!
    For anyone interested in a little insight from what it's like in the saddle, so to speak.

One of the, I would call it 'thrills' of riding an older, experienced race horse, is they just ... know. The ones who continue to run as campaign warriors, they know the game and those who are top class, love it.

I told a story about my experience riding a horse like this and how he knew more about when to hit the gas going around the track then I did. You hear the term "I was just a passenger" and it's true.

If you go back and look at the race, look at where she hit the accelerator on her own; the #5 horse triggered her. The #5 horse was asked by his jockey for his move on the turn and came up on her saddle blanket intending to go on by to tackle the leaders. For many of your genuine, experienced runners, the saddle blanket is the go button, they see a horse there and they hit the gas because they know it's go time.

#5 came up on her saddle blanket, intending to go on and Beholder was like "Oh, hellll no you don't" and she put it in gear and set down. Probably Gary didn't even see #5 before Beholder did and by the time he thought to look back they'd already sprinted away.

He'll probably look at the replay of the race and realize Hall of Fame jockey or not, she "out rode" him today. ;)
  • I noticed that too and thought she took off when Red Vine started coming up alongside her. I didn't know about the "saddle blanket" thing, but knew she was not about to let herself get boxed in or passed. What a gal.
  • Thanks, @Zenyen, I always appreciate your insight and have no clue what it would be like in the saddle on a horse like this. Wow! How fun would that be! She knew what she was doing and as great as Gary is, she probably didn't need him at all.

I watched it again after your post and saw exactly what you were talking about. She just flew when she saw him. That was great!