Saratoga Race Course

SallyTSallyT Member
I LOVE going to Saratoga! It's a beautiful, historic, exciting place to visit. From "Old Friends at Cabin Creek" just outside of town, to the National Museum of Horse Racing, there's always something horse related to do.
I saw CoZmic One exercising last week, and posted a link to a folder of photos I've taken of him on his discussion. I'm going to start this discussion by providing a link to some other photos I've taken this summer. "Saratoga; A Sense Of Place", for those who cannot make it to the "Spa" in person, but would like to travel there vicariously. https://imageshack.com/a/rznz/1
This second link is to a folder of photos from the Oklahoma Training Track, barns, etc.
https://imageshack.com/a/sznz/1

Comments

• GREAT pics @SallyT I have a friend who lives in Saratoga Springs and she went there and took pics. She told me it was an amazing experience.
  • Sally, Thank you again and again! You promised these photos, but I never expected you to post them so soon. Your pics really give the feeling of long warm summer days at Saratoga. They are a record of every day backside life with people and horses going about their quiet routines. Even the buildings and barns of Saratoga have their own unique charm. It was a real treat to view all these cool photos. Have you thought about publishing them? I was wondering if a book would be appropriate. I think you have a lot of visual talent.
  • Wow. Great pictures again, Sally. I notice that you have Jerry Moss and Dottie Ingordo-Shireffs and a jockey in the Moss silks. Great to see them there. I bet they had a visit with Coz while they were at Saratoga. Looks like a busy and fascinating place. I don't think Coz will be bored there. LOL
  • Joanna_TXJoanna_TX Member
    edited August 2014
    Great pictures, SallyT! Really reminds us that there is actually a lot of WORK involved in getting horses ready to race. Thanks!
  • FRIDAY, AUGUST 8

National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame: Saratoga’s feature race is the Grade 2 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame for 3-year-olds on the turf. The stakes will follow the induction ceremony for the class of 2014 into the National Museum of Racing’s Hall of Fame. This year’s inductees are jockeys Lloyd Hughes and Alex Solis; owners/breeders E.R. Bradley and E.P. Taylor; trainer Gary Jones, and champion thoroughbreds Ashado, Clifford and Curlin. The ceremony will be held at the Fasig-Tipton Sales Pavilion at 10:30 a.m. The ceremony is free and open to the public.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 9

Fourstardave Handicap: The day’s feature race is the Grade 2, $500,000 Fourstardave Handicap for three-year-olds and up at a mile on the turf.

Jockey Legends Day: Sixteen of the greatest riders in the history of thoroughbred racing will gather at Saratoga Race Course for the first-ever Jockey Legends Day to benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund (PDJF). Saratoga favorites Angel Cordero, Jr., Ramon Dominguez and the New York Racing Association racing analyst Richard Migliore are among the former jockeys who will sign autographs from noon to 1 p.m. outside the Jockeys Silks Room for a one-time $10 donation to the PDJF. Also scheduled to appear are Ron Turcotte and Jean Cruguet, respective riders of Triple Crown winners Secretariat and Seattle Slew; Laffit Pincay, Jr., the all-time leader in races won with 9,530; Eddie Maple, Chris McCarron, Randy Romero, Jean-Luc Samyn, Nick Santagata, Robbie Davis, Jose Santos, Manny Ycaza, Jacinto Vasquez and Jorge Velasquez. All will be recognized in a special red-carpet ceremony on the track between the fifth and sixth races.

Saratoga WarHorse: The New York Racing Association will pay tribute to the Saratoga Springs-based non-profit organization Saratoga WarHorse during a special winner’s circle ceremony. Saratoga WarHorse is dedicated to assisting veterans who are suffering from invisible, psychological wounds by providing a confidential, peer-to-peer, action-based, equine-assisted experience that initiates immediate and long-lasting empowering changes.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 10

The Toyota Saratoga Special and Adirondack: The day belongs to the 2-year-olds with a pair of graded stakes: the Grade 2 Toyota Saratoga Special and Grade 2 Adirondack.

• SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    Sally, Thank you again and again! It was a real treat to view all these cool photos. Have you thought about publishing them? I was wondering if a book would be appropriate. I think you have a lot of visual talent.
    Thank -you Louise! The publishing has been done before by others more professional than myself-but that's a very nice thought.
    I'll be back at the track next week, and will create another folder afterwards.
    I told my administrator I couldn't schedule a meeting on August 15th due to a previous commitment - but I didn't volunteer what the conflict was-it's Fabulous Fillies Day !!
    I'm going to the Traver's Stakes this year for the first time too, I can't wait!
  • edited August 2014
    SallyT, Know you love taking these photos as a fun activity, but I would love to see you benefit somehow from your talent. Give it some thought! Can't wait for more pics! Stay safe! ;-)
  • Thanks so much for the pictures Sally! It's so thoughtful of you to do this for all of us. :)
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    I went to check my photo albums at image shack, and found that if you click on the first photo of an album, you need to use the BACK arrow to see them in order. Strange!
    Here is a photo of a riderless Piquant on July 18th coming down the stretch without jockey Rosario Montanez...
  • I love it when the riderless horse runs the race still and passes everyone else on its own. Shows that these horses know what their job is lol
  • Also shows that they do truly like to run. Of course they win; they're not carrying any weight. lol
  • Lol its a free for all then, nothing but the wind in the mane and a whistling in the stirrups LOL
  • Mike Watchmaker ‏@DRFWatchmaker 6m
    For those handicapping tomorrow's card at #Saratoga keep in mind there might be as much as 3 inches of rain there tonite into late tomorrow
  • Yoicks! I hope that's not the day SallyT planned to go to Saratoga. Not a good day for taking pictures. Don't get mud splashed on the lens. LOL
  • I had planned on going to watch the trainings very early tomorrow, but won't be heading over with the weather report at 100% chance of rain. I'm still hoping for Friday, which is Fabulous Fillies Day! The forecast isn't great, but only 40% chance of rain :0) And next weekend... the Traver's!
  • SallyT,
    Have fun and try to stay dry! :-)
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    I was at the races all day-it was terrific fun, although it was quite cool out-more like September weather. Fabulous Fillies Day (if you've never been) features a lot of the fillies, but is also a big fundraising day for breast cancer research. There are pink accents everywhere-from the NYRA flag, to the flower bed in the paddock around the statue of Sea Hero. If you wear pink, you get free admission. It was a long day, & I'm going to try to get up in 6 hours in order to watch the trainings. So, here are just a couple of pics. for tonight.
    First up is the winner of the John Morrissey Stakes coming down the stretch -#3 Weekend Hideaway ( #5 didn't end up placing.)
    imageimage" />
    Next up is a lovely 3 year old filly by Bernardini. "Rubindy" literally looks like she's floating when she runs!
    Last for now, is an example of someone going over the top with the pink theme-I think she might have been an honoree.
    imageimageimage" />
  • amazing photos, really enjoying this
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Rachel!
    VA asked where I had taken some of the photos from the training track, because it seemed like I was above the horses. Here's the Whitney viewing stand at the Oklahoma Track, which opened last year for the 150th anniversary. It's a replica of the original. I like the view it provides, so I usually start here. I also like taking photos from a turn on the Oklahoma track- (because) the rail gets in the way along the stretch, for short people like me! Today I was at the main track as well. What looks like an upper level is just structural or aesthetic -you can't get up there.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    Cool Samurai was trainer-scratched today in race 8 @ Saratoga, and My Miss Sophia was scratched in the 3rd. Now I don't feel as bad that I couldn't watch the races today.
    Here is my link to Friday's Fabulous Fillies folder if anyone is interested.

A couple of notes about the folder-Penwith is another 3 YO filly by Bernardini. I had to look to find all the pink-I saw more men in pink than women this year! I was about 2 feet away from Rosie when she stopped after galloping out- but I didn't want to startle her, or Sheer Drama, (as I don't think they noticed me) so I waited until they turned back.
    https://imageshack.com/a/vRYz/1
    imageimage" />
  • oooo pretty pretty
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for sharing your great photos, Sally. Interesting to see Penwith. She's a pretty girl, but as a technical half-sister of Coz, she's shorter in legs and body (chest to butt), and of course, she doesn't have his fabulous ears. LOL. He gets his looks mostly from his mom. Hope he gets her speed as well.

Thanks also for showing the viewing "tower." Great place to observe from and a pretty structure, too.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2014
    Weekend update-

Saturday
    Grade 1 Alabama
    1 1/4 F3 YO (Dirt)
    Win Stopchargingmaria John R. Velazquez
    Place Joint Return Kendrick Carmouche
    Show Miss Besilu Jose Lezcano

Sunday
    Grade 1 Sword Dancer Invitational
    1 1/2 Half Miles On The Turf
    Win Main Sequence Rajiv Maragh
    Place Imagining Joel Rosario
    Show Twilight Eclipse Jose Lezcano

Alydar Stakes
    Four Year Old and Upward
    1 1/8 Miles On The Dirt
    Win Farhaan Irad Ortiz, Jr.
    Place Stormin Monarcho Cornelio H. Velasquez
    Show Alpha John R. Velazquez
  • SallyT, Thanks again for the fabulous picks from FF day at Saratoga. You are so kind to share your work with us. I can't go to Saratoga this year, but hope to get there some day. Stay Safe in your travels! :-)