Saratoga Race Course

Comments

• Does Constellation really have a sprinkling of "stars"--white spots--on her rump? The TVG announcers said she did, but they didn't show up in any TV shots. I notice in your head shots that some of the horses have white nylon harnesses with leather harness over them. Did they wear both during the race, or only in the post parades? I love your picture of Wicked Strong. I love his Bostonian name and I've been following him for awhile. He has "The Ears." He has a pretty face and nice alert eyes. Thanks for the great photos.
  • I wasn't able to see them either...I hope someone will be able to post a good photo that clearly shows her "stars".
    Does Constellation really have a sprinkling of "stars"--white spots--on her rump? The TVG announcers said she did, but they didn't show up in any TV shots.
  • Yes, I spotted them! It was really cool to see so many white spots on the rump of Constellation. I hope she keeps them as she gets older. Also, I did not get a good look at her front end, and I was wondering if she had the spots on her neck and shoulders. Does anyone know?
  • On the TVG broadcast, they only mentioned the rump. It's how she got her name.
    I think they are called "Bird Catcher" spots. They are similar to Bendor spots, which is what Ziconic has. Like Ziconic, Constellation has Bend Or as one of her forebears. There's a discussion thread on the Forum about unusual colors in horses.
  • The only photo that has Constellations rump, it's in shadow due to the late time of the race. BUT I see stars on the rest of her, so I think it's safe to believe they're all over. If you enlarge your view of this photo, you can see them!
  • Oh, yeah, so she does. She's even got some on her face. I read today, while researching the spots, that TBs have always had some horses with unusual color patterns and spots, etc. but in the past breeders hid them away, (probably worse) thinking that it reflected poorly on their breeding program.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    edited September 2015
    SallyT thanks for sharing your photos, as always, especially of Constellation. There is a great body shot on Pedigree Query.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/constellation33

She's a gorgeous horse, and well named! :)

ETA: I just noticed that's a Barbara Livingston photo..........probably a larger view somewhere else, I'm just not savvy enough to locate it.
  • I'm done sharing due to the final attack-really don't need the negativity in my life. If anyone would like to see my photos in the future, just message me your email. I'm leaving my "membership" or whatever you want to call it, intact for that reason alone. (Big Herbie and anyone else-I'll be here for you next summer if you make it up to Saratoga!)
  • edited September 2015
    sarinne, Thanks for the pedigree of Constellation. She is out of For Royalty who had a foal at WinStar In 2002 named Back Flip. There is a video of baby Back Flip standing for the first time and then doing a back flip. So cute, and this is an interesting coincidence that Constellation and Back Flip are sisters.
    Also California Chrome and Constellation share the same dam sire, Not For Love.
  • Sally_T, take up for yourself if you feel misunderstood. No blood lost, only hurt feelings and misunderstood egos. Nobody shot a gun, just people expressing views. Do you, how can I phrase this, want to face down your detractors, and maybe you feel you have, instead of throwing your hat in? No one wants anyone to do that. And this might be another delete. K
  • @louisespadafora, you are welcome. I was curious as to her pedigree and was pleasantly surprised to find that pic there. I didn't even think to check her half siblings. I remember Back Flip well. :)
  • I checked her pedigree earlier to see if she had Bend Or among her forebears. She does. I looked at it just now, again, and saw that she has both Man O' War and Upset (the only horse that ever beat him) both in her Pedigree. Funny.
  • The 10 final nominees for the Hall of Fame were announced back in January. (Only a total of 4 can win induction per year, regardless of category.) Since Zenyatta is a nominee this year, I thought people might be interested in how the process works. The link to the "long form" is at the bottom of this post.

"Four jockeys, four Thoroughbreds and two trainers comprise the 10 finalists on the National Museum of Racing’s 2016 Hall of Fame ballot, as selected by the Museum’s Hall of Fame Nominating Committee. The finalists are: jockeys Ramon Dominguez, Victor Espinoza, Garrett Gomez and Craig Perret; Thoroughbreds English Channel, Kona Gold, Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta; and trainers Steve Asmussen and David Whiteley.
    Dominguez, English Channel, Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta are first-time finalists. Hall of Fame voters may select as many candidates as they believe are worthy of induction to the Hall of Fame. A maximum of four candidates with the highest vote totals — provided they receive majority approval (50.1 percent) of the voting panel — will be elected to the Hall of Fame. If less than than four candidates receive “yes” votes from a majority of voters, there will be fewer than four inductees in 2016. The results of the voting on contemporary candidates will be announced on Monday, April 25. The induction ceremony will be held at the Fasig-Tipton Sales Pavilion in Saratoga Springs on Friday, Aug. 12 at 10:30 a.m. The ceremony is free and open to the public."

https://www.racingmuseum.org/article/national-museum-racing-announces-2016-hall-fame-finalists
  • Thanks for posting, Sally T. Very interesting. Pretty steep competition there. I didn't realize only 4 of the list of 10 could be chosen, regardless of category. How can horses be compared to trainers or jockeys? The humans have longer lifespans and thus longer periods of active engagement in racing. Interesting. I would say Zenyatta has the best record of everyone on the list percentage-wise, and is a shoo-in, but I'm not really all that knowledgeable about racing. I can hope, though. I'd like to see her win it in her first eligible year. She should have won HOY earlier than 2010, too.

Nice to see you back, Sally.
  • Hi Sally T. So happy to see you have returned to the Forum. Things have not been the same since you decided to take a break. Hope teaching has gone well for you this year. Welcome back! :-)

• Welcome back, Sally T, I missed you!....
  • Hi SallyT!

Rachel and Zenyatta are shoe-ins for sure, and I REALLY hope Dominguez gets in as a first time nominee too.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks VA_in_CA, louisespadafora, bigherbie,and EliRose!

Of course I think Zenyatta should make it in her first year. However my personal hope is that she & Rachel both make it in this year, as they are both definitely deserving, (and to keep the differing contingents somewhat peaceful LOL.)

In looking at past winners, it appears that the candidates that have not been active in the past 25 years have been inducted "at the discretion of the Museum’s Executive Committee" in addition to the 4 allowed per year. Otherwise the rule of 4 could be a relatively recent rule?
  • I guarantee that both Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra will both make it into the Hall of Fame this year. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on that too. There isn't a single person I know who has written about it that doesn't think one or both of them will be accepted.
  • One more thing to add to the lists of things we're waiting to find out. Sigh.
  • Thanks VA_in_CA, louisespadafora, bigherbie,and EliRose!

Of course I think Zenyatta should make it in her first year. However my personal hope is that she & Rachel both make it in this year, as they are both definitely deserving, (and to keep the differing contingents somewhat peaceful LOL.)

In looking at past winners, it appears that the candidates that have not been active in the past 25 years have been inducted "at the discretion of the Museum’s Executive Committee" in addition to the 4 allowed per year. Otherwise the rule of 4 could be a relatively recent rule?
    I don't know specifics, but the HOF have played fast and loose with the rules forever. Like Secretariat entering in 1974 ;)

BTW, Dominguez had two requirements waived in order to get his nomination - he had been an active jockey for 18 years when he retired in 2013. Article about that: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/97697/dominguez-ruled-eligible-for-hall-of-fame
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    I don't know if anyone else is planning on going to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, but I received an email from them yesterday. It's usually open to the general public. (see below) I've got my tickets reserved! If you want to go, I would suggest calling, joining the museum, and reserving your tickets asap!

Friday, August 12, 2016
    Fasig-Tipton Sales Pavilion
    10:30a.m.- 12:30p.m.
    Doors open at 8:30a.m.
    Cost: Free! (Limited number of tickets available)

Due to overwhelming demand for tickets and limited space, please note the following important changes:
    Tickets are assigned and are ONLY available by RSVP to nmrmembers@racingmuseum.net, or by calling 518-584-0400 ext:109.
    Tickets are available to Museum members only.
    Tickets are for seats on the second floor of the sales pavilion.
    Tickets are available on a first-come first served basis.
    A maximum of two tickets are available to each membership, no exceptions.
    Tickets will be available for pickup at a will call desk at Fasig-Tipton beginning at 8:30a.m. Friday, August 12, 2016.
  • Nice to see you back, Sally. I guess you're looking forward to another summer of visiting Saratoga. I was just checking the weather in Pittsford today and it was about 12 degrees warmer there than here in SoCal. Strange.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Welcome back, Sally!

Sooo either this was a mistake that hasn't been corrected for two days, or Carpe Diem is back on the work tab at 'toga. Apparently breezed on the 25th . . . Even though he's supposed to be standing at stud and has reportedly bred mares.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9303168&registry=T&rbt=TB
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    Thanks,
    I checked, and he is listed on the Saratoga workouts that day.
    https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/workouts/20160525/