Saratoga Race Course

Comments

• VA_in_CA said:

Sally, I meant to ask, where in VT were the Lipizzaner Stallions? I would guess Burlington. I saw them decades ago in Savannah, GA, if memory serves me right. Marvelous creatures.

North Hero up in the Champlain Islands.
  • Wow. That area must have grown a lot, population-wise.
  • I hadn't been up there in 25 years, but it's still quite rural. The horses were staying at Knights Point State Park for the summer, and gave performances in a huge meadow surrounded by trees near the lake. They had a little (3 ft) fence around a space that had a sandy fill, which acted as the performance area. The audience brought their own chairs, and sat right along the fence. The "stables" were in tents at one end of the meadow, so it wasn't anything fancy. Everything was very well taken care of though. The horses were immaculate, no stable smell or flies. Simple and informal, but it seemed to be working for them.
    VA_in_CA said:

Wow. That area must have grown a lot, population-wise.

• That sounds fantastic, Sally. You obviously had a much better view of the horses than I did from the upper balcony in the theater where I saw them. I wonder if this particular team lives in the US and is the one that travels around here for performances. Vermont is a great place for them to spend the summer. Also good that it is so rural there, in a not-heavily populated area on that island.

I think I was on South Hero Island as a kid. We took a small overnight trip when I was about 10 and drove up to the north part of the state and saw the islands. We got to do one of our favorite activities that we used to be able to do in those years--it was 1949. After the Depression and the War years, there were a lot of abandoned farms in VT. We used to explore them whenever we came across one. We would pick things up that had been left behind. We got several Benningtonware jugs, and a crock and such, and pretty, and very old, glass bottles. I sort of think it was the one on South Hero where we found the old black metal bucket in the manure pile. We cleaned it up and brought it home. My mom had thought it was a cast iron bucket but it was really too light (in weight.) A friend took and had it restored and it turned out to be a gorgeous solid brass bucket. It always looked good sitting full of firewood next to the wood stove in the dining room (one of the kind used for heating) in our VT house. It was huge, about 16 inches across at the open end, and 18 inches high. Now my brother has it.
  • I
    VA_in_CA said:

That sounds fantastic, Sally. You obviously had a much better view of the horses than I did from the upper balcony in the theater where I saw them. I wonder if this particular team lives in the US and is the one that travels around here for performances. Vermont is a great place for them to spend the summer. Also good that it is so rural there, in a not-heavily populated area on that island.

If you head back over to the rare horse breed thread, I gave an explanation-I think it's the same group.

• Thanks, Sally. I saw the explanation on the Rare Horse Breed thread after I had already posted here. lol.
  • I went to The Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony today-it was very nicely done. I watched the sales area stalls for a bit before the ceremony. It was like Grand Central Station of HIPS parading around for buyers. So many beautiful horses, and they all looked perfect to my inexperienced eye!
    I was up in the balcony for the event with a big railing in front, so I basically focused on the speeches instead of pics. Lots of emotion and tears shed. For those who didn't see it streamed, there were video clips about each inductee before the respective speeches and plaque presentations.
    It ran about 2 hours, so I briefly stopped by the " Belles of the Hall" area afterwards, and then headed home. It was as hot & humid as I've ever experienced at Saratoga, and I was melting!

Watching Zenyatta's video

Plaque Presentation

Z's Plaque

Rachel's Plaque

Mini Z from Belles of the Hall

Mini Rachel from Belles of the Hall

• To give a sense of what I referred to above, here are a couple pics from the backyard of Fasig-Tipton-where all the stalls are for the sales.

I love Union Rags-here's one of his youngsters

By Yes It's True

• How exciting that you got to actually be there in the hall for the ceremony and speeches, etc. I can imagine how emotional it must have been. It was thrilling enough watching the simulcast, which I did. Your pictures are great, as usual. Thanks. Sorry the weather was so sticky and hot. I remember those kinds of days back East. Bleah. I understand Kyle Acebo was there. Did you see her?
  • Wow! @SallyT, your selection of photos allows us to "feel" the atmosphere at this HOF Induction Ceremony and Behind the Scene Views...like we were there with you!

Love the mini Zenyatta and mini Rachel Alexandra where they painted socks and headmarkings on these cute live replicas. I can literally hear the busy chatter from the grooming staff...horses neighing or nickering and the clip-clop sounds of their hooves at the Fasig-Tipton backyard from these photos...beautiful horses indeed!
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2016
    VA_in_CA said:

I understand Kyle Acebo was there. Did you see her?

Wow! @SallyT, your selection of photos allows us to "feel" the atmosphere at this HOF Induction Ceremony and Behind the Scene Views...like we were there with you!

PG,Here are more of the "atmosphere".

VA, I was seated in the balcony directly behind Team Z-so basically had a view of the tops of their heads if I leaned forward LOL. Don't know if I saw Kyle Acebo, but suspect she might have been the young woman who gave us the Belles of the Hall "badges" or laminated cards.

I thought the pics folks would be most interested in would be Team Z. However here are a couple of others from yesterday. (my shots of Barbara Banke didn't come out very well.)

"Sam The Bugler" starting things off with the call to the post.

Tom Durkin-Master of Ceremonies In his introduction of Zenyatta, he said he regretted never having called one of her races!

Steve Asmussen & Family

Ramon Dominguez

• KMMKMM Member
    SallyT, those pics were wonderful for us! Front seats! Thanks so much!
  • I didn't realize it at the time I was watching the simulcast, but read later somewhere, that Ramon Dominguez was Gio Ponti's jockey in the 2009 Breeder's Cup Classic. He said he was in the lead and looked over and saw Zenyatta coming up and passing him and there was nothing he could do. I love it. She was sooo spectacular.
  • I was supposed to go to Saratoga today-but after experiencing the sweltering conditions yesterday, I decided not to make the trip because of the forecast for more of the same, plus thunderstorms. I was streaming the races instead.........
    Wow! Racing at Saratoga was just canceled for the rest of the afternoon due to weather! They only got through race 5- and already had canceled the Jockey Legends Day event. It rained/poured on & off , but the predicted severe thunderstorms did them in. The 6th race had 7 or 8 scratches out of 13. And the scratches were pouring in for other races. I wonder how they'll handle the Adirondack Stakes, Fourstardave H. (grade 1) ? I don't know how they re-schedule?

Last year on opening day there was a tornado warning and they announced that people should take cover. (I left). I don't recall a day (although I'm sure it's happened before) where they just stopped racing. I think the scratches kind of sealed the deal.
  • The Adirondack has been rescheduled for Friday and the Fourstardave will take place next Saturday.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2016

The Adirondack has been rescheduled for Friday and the Fourstardave will take place next Saturday.

Thanks, I just saw that!

And the history of cancellations; very rare indeed!

In 2011, the entire card on August 27 was cancelled in advance of Hurricane Irene.
    On August 8, 2008, racing was cancelled after the second race after a severe storm washed out part of the track.
    The last race on Travers Day, August 28, 2004 was canceled because of heavy rain. Prior to that, the final two races on September 2, 1998 were canceled due to heavy rain.
  • Sally, thank you for the wonderful pictures!
  • KMMKMM Member
    By the way Sally, it was fun that all your shots were candid. Thanks!
  • bigherbie said:

Sally, thank you for the wonderful pictures!

Wish you were there too!
  • Sally, Thank you for the pictures and the information about the Hall of Fame inductions. I kept wondering what had happened to the races at Saratoga today. Now I know how to plan for next weekend! I hope things cool down a bit by than for you and the horses and their connections. Take care and stay safe in your travels. :-)
  • Are you coming to Saratoga?

Sally, Thank you for the pictures and the information about the Hall of Fame inductions. I kept wondering what had happened to the races at Saratoga today. Now I know how to plan for next weekend! I hope things cool down a bit by than for you and the horses and their connections. Take care and stay safe in your travels. :-)

• Oh Sally, how I wish I could hop a plane flight and head to Saratoga! No, not able to come this year, but perhaps next year. I am retired from teaching, but right now I am tied down with family. I will sadly have to stay home this summer and fall. I really enjoy your posts from Saratoga and look forward to each addition of your adventures to the track. :-)
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2016
    OK SallyT, and you may not be there, but race 8 , on the 18th, Night Officer is entered. Cousin to my mare in work and 1/2 Sib to the now retired but great Delauney, owned by Maggi Moss. Night Officer is raced by Chalk Racing, is a handsome guy, and a stakes winner.
  • KMM said:

OK SallyT, and you may not be there, but race 8 , on the 18th, Night Officer is entered. Cousin to my mare in work and 1/2 Sib to the now retired but great Delauney, owned by Maggi Moss. Night Officer is raced by Chalk Racing, is a handsome guy, and a stakes winner.

Sorry, I won't be there-best of luck to Night Officer! I hope to stream it.
  • Didn't see it live, but nice race ! Hope you saw it KMM.
    Results
    WIN 7 Night Officer Jose L. Ortiz

PLACE 6 Flashaway Jose Lezcano

SHOW 3 Angry Moon Kendrick Carmouche