Saratoga Race Course

Comments

• What a pretty girl.
    Schuylerville Stakes winner Off the Tracksimage
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    What a pretty girl.
    I agree!

I’m beyond excited for tomorrow- I’m supposed to meet my “friend of a friend” before the races for a paddock pass! Hopefully that will provide me the opportunity for some good photos. (I sure hope everything works out.)
  • KMMKMM Member
    Good luck tomorrow!:) K
  • Looking forward to hearing all about it and hopefully seeing some pictures.
  • Race 6 : anyone have any thoughts about the unbridled`s song son...dreaming of gold. Have an idea of a play here, but can't get the kid out of my mind. Any thoughts?
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    Oh! Stopchargingmaria just won the Shuvee over Untappable at Saratoga just now...exciting head-to-head battle on the final stretch but Stopchargingmaria pulled away just before the finish line.
  • I love Stopchargingmaria-what a girl!
    Oh! Stopchargingmaria just won the Shuvee over Untappable at Saratoga just now...exciting head-to-head battle on the final stretch but Stopchargingmaria pulled away just before the finish line.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Oh what a day! The weather was glorious, and I had a great experience from a very different perspective. I met my hosts, who were so gracious, and gave me a paddock pass. The first person I met, before we even left the Jockey Club, was Sam the bugler! I was in the paddock before almost every race, which was really cool. I met a lot of people, but can’t remember half of them.
    I went up to the Stewards area for the 3rd & 4th races; it’s an open air, but covered balcony up above the clubhouse.
    imageIt’s like you’re on top of the world-PRICELESS views!
    image image image
    Then I was up in the announcers booth, which is directly above the Stewards balcony. image
    Alongside and above the announcer is the photo & Teletimer booth.
    imageThe photographer showed me all the cameras setup, and demonstrated how they program the software for a race, how they do the photo finishes, mirror images etc. Everyone was so nice!
    imageI have a shot of an 8 foot long photo of Secretariat’s win at Belmont that is hung inside the photo booth. You can see the booths in this photo of the Grandstand & the Clubhouse form the top of the stretch-it’s the little round section high up, on the far left end of the building.

I had to pace myself-it was a long day. (sometime I’ll have to wear a pedometer to see how many miles I walk going from the top of the stretch, and back to the paddock in the course of the day.) Since I was in the Paddock so much, I didn’t get to the rail in time to get a front spot for photographing very often. I’ll post some photos here to give you a sense of things, but then the rest will be in a new album.

The canoe in the pond is traditionally painted in the colors of the latest Traver’s Stakes winner.image

There were 2 Street Cry colts in the 7th race (an allowance) #6 Ocean Telegraph was quite a looker!

I’ve spent most of today identifying & sizing photos in between streaming races. I had hoped to go over just to take pics of Rachel’s Valentina, but I wasn’t moving fast enough this morning. Loved watching her race though. Hopefully I’ll get another chance this meet.

Next up will be the stakes winners.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Winner of the Grade 2 Amsterdam-Holy Boss
    Place-Requite image
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Alfred G. Vanderbilt Grade 1
    Winner-Rock Fall
    Place-The Big Beast
    Show-Favorite Tale
  • Bowling Green Grade 2
    Winner Red Rifle (who Blew my Exacta)
    Place-War Dancer (War Front)
    Show-Imagining
  • Wow! What a wonderful day you had @SallyT! Seems like it's a good way of getting exercise as well! Tell us later how many miles you ended up walking at the end of this exciting day at Saratoga! ❤
  • The Jim Dandy Grade 2 (Scratches were Upstart, Competitive Edge, and Tekton)
    Winner-Texas Red
    (more photos in album)
    Place-Frosted
    Show-Japan
    And 4th of 4!-Frammento

• SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    A few more from the paddock yesterday
    Artist Nick Martinez
    Pletcher/ Velazquez
    Abbott
    Maggie Wolfendale
  • Wow. Thanks for the vicarious tour. Looked wonderful. Glad you got to see Rachel's Valentina's debut. Maybe another time you can see Coz and Ziconic training, at least. Thanks for the great pictures.
  • http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/dandy-runners-look-to-travers/
    An informative article-apparently Frosted lost a shoe at the start of the Jim Dandy!

"Godolphin’s Frosted (Tapit), second after an eventful start to Saturday’s Jim Dandy, was also doing well Sunday.

“He lost his right front shoe, but luckily he’s O.K.,” trainer Kiaran McLaughlin reported. “It was a small grab, so obviously he grabbed it off at the break, but he came back in good shape.”

McLaughlin continued, “He ran very well. We’re disappointed we got beat, but Texas Red is a nice horse and we ran our race. We gave [Texas Red] four pounds. In [the Travers], we’ll be equal weights, and hopefully, with four shoes on, we can turn the tables on him.”

Also in the article;

"Also under consideration for the Travers is Arnold Zetcher’s Smart Transition (Smart Strike), winner of Friday’s Curlin S.

“I’m going to talk to Mr. Zetcher about [the Travers],” commented trainer John Shirreffs. “Because the 3-year-old year for colts is such a unique opportunity, you’d hate to not give him a chance if he’s up to it. [Winning a race over the track] is really important. He’s shown that he likes training here.”
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Posted this under the AP thread, but it's very timely, so .....
    Regarding AP in the Traver's;
    Travers purse will rise to $1.6 million, contingent on Triple Crown winner's start in 2015 Mid-Summer Derby
    https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/travers-purse-will-rise-to-16-million-contingent-on-triple-crown-winners-start-in-2015-mid-summer-derby/
    I'm hoping.......already have my ticket!
  • I'm so jealous you get to go @SallyT! It looks like it's going to be a spectacular race.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    I actually couldn't get to the track on time yesterday, so I didn't go. I had to watch the live stream-I was thrilled for RV! But bummed that I wasn't there. I was thinking about heading over for early trainings today-since Ziconic had a timed workout last Monday, I thought I'd take a shot at catching him today. Then saw that he had a timed workout on Saturday, so didn't head over today. I have several trips planned in the coming week, so am taking today off.
    Wow. Thanks for the vicarious tour. Looked wonderful. Glad you got to see Rachel's Valentina's debut. Maybe another time you can see Coz and Ziconic training, at least. Thanks for the great pictures.
  • I'm VERY excited, and cautiously optimistic. If AP shows up it will be well beyond crowded. Last year's Traver's drew 47,000 people, and was the most packed I'd ever seen! I can't even comprehend what AP would draw! I'm very happy I bought a seat. (I don't usually use a seat, evenif I do have one- but in this case it could be a lifesaver!)
    I'm so jealous you get to go @SallyT! It looks like it's going to be a spectacular race.
  • Your photos are amazing and I am so thrilled for how wonderful your time at the track seems to be, although I admit to some jealousy - lol! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic photos and information with those of us who can't get there! Enjoy your day of rest and then please more pictures?
  • Thanks for all the wonderful pics from your trip to Saratoga on Saturday, Sally. Fantastic shots!
  • Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your photos....amazing and wonderful. Thank you for sharing!
  • Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your photos....amazing and wonderful. Thank you for sharing!
    I agree -- beautiful pics, SallyT! Thanks for taking the time to share with us! :)