Saratoga Race Course

Comments

• Latest News for today

I was out early for the trainings this morning. Somehow I missed Ziconic's timed work; I went to the main track & immediately saw a Shirreff's horse (no one I knew). So either;
    a) I missed Zi by a few minutes, or
    b) he was one of the pair running full-out a bit later, that was blocked from my view by a wall of horses coming along the rail from the other direction. or
    c) he was at the other track.
    I did see John, with another horse & rider, but nobody I knew. Oh, well! I gave it my my best shot. (Every horse I saw with a blaze had their photo taken today!) Spent about 3 hours taking pics. Kiaran McLaughlin's saddlecloth is similar to John's, so I'm hoping to get a shot of Rachel's Valentina in the mix some day.
    You won't see RV in Kiaran McLaughlin's saddlecloth. She's a Pletcher trainee.
  • OOPS! Thanks for the reminder-I knew that! I think Jess's Dream is the one with Kiaran.
    I 'm tired now, but I'll have to go back through my Pletcher photos. He has so many gorgeous 2 year olds.
  • That's a lot of driving to do almost every day. And standing around outdoors in the sunshine always makes me sleepy. Maybe it's the relaxing that goes with all that fresh air. Thanks for posting all these great pictures.
  • Ahh! wonderful photos SallyT! Great that you got to see the newly completed Native Dancer statue by Gwen Reardon. Gwen's works are just amazing...Gee 84 years old and still actively making masterpieces!!
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Ahh! wonderful photos SallyT! Great that you got to see the newly completed Native Dancer statue by Gwen Reardon. Gwen's works are just amazing...Gee 84 years old and still actively making masterpieces!!
    Paniolo_Gal,
    I was SO impressed with your photos of Gwen's work at the Kentuckey Horse Park and at the airport! I didn't realize she was still creating her amazing sculptures until I read news articles about Centennial Park in Saratoga this past spring. I didn't realize her age either! So here's a post about bronzes.
    This bronze of Sea Hero is in the paddock at Saratoga by Tessa Pullan

Secretariat at the Horse Racing Museum by John Skeaping
    imageimage

I love bronze sculptures! On the other side of my town is a bronze casting foundry. I took my high school students on a field trip years ago and found the process fascinating! Later, I had the owner's kids in school, and he was so supportive of my students art, and all local art. I have a couple of tiny pieces of Glenn's from fundraising events. If you are interested in the casting process.http://www.cpisculpture.com

The National Museum of Horse Racing in Saratoga has an AMAZING collection of bronzes. I love Marilyn Newmark's work as well. Nina Kaiser has an awesome sculpture of Serena's Song there. Speaking of Nina......

I really wanted one of the "little" Zenyatta bronzes-I've been saving for years. I figured by the time I had the money saved, they would be sold out. I have been in contact with Nina Kaiser recently, and although they are still available, it takes a couple of months for the entire process. She happened to have one on hand, and I bought it! My little Z bronze should arrive in a couple of weeks!

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    Oh wonderful that you were able to order a Zenyatta bronze statuette @SallyT! Isn't it fascinating how many steps are involved in making these extraordinary statues. I took a couple of classes in industrial art while in college which reviewed this time consuming process, a skill not many are capable of doing for sure!

The amount of time and talent is just immeasureable!
  • Fascinating discussion, Sally and PG. Thanks for letting us "eavesdrop." Congrats. on scoring a Z bronze, Sally. I hope you'll take pictures of it for us to see. Thanks also for the link to the foundary in West Rutland. I don't think my parents ever went there, but I'm not sure. My father, as an artist himself, would have loved it.
  • I was at Saratoga all day & just got home a little while ago. Will sort through photos tomorrow, but wanted to post Honor Code, Winner of the Whitney! What a race!!

Honor Code heading to the paddock

Warming up

During the race

After the winner's Circle

It's all over
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    And of course, Cavorting! Winner of the Longine's Test Stakes.

• Wow! Great Photos once again @SallyT! This is way better than waiting for a news update from the racing media for sure...where they only use text and no photos! Glad we have you keeping us posted in our forum! :oD
  • What nice photos! How cool! Honor Code is a beauty, as is Cavorting.
  • Sally, thank you for the pics of my boy, Honor Code, and Stone Street's Cavorting. HC is just magnificent, and what a rush of power the last furlong of the race. It was a flash of his sire, AP Indy, at the end. Your photos are wonderful! :-)
  • Love Cavorting for a filly's name. She's a beauty for sure. Great photos as always. Looks like an overcast, humid kind of day.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for your comments!
    VA_in_CA it was a beautiful day! When taking the pics, there are a lot of light factors; some are taken in extreme light and shadows, (all those tall trees!)
    I sometimes wait until the horse steps into a pool of light, if I can. The Honor Code "after the race" shots were taken at around 6:00 pm, and the clouds had moved in, but the sun/brightness can wash out the sky color, depending on what angle the sun is at.

It was another great day, and I had a paddock pass again! (plans changed, long story) I actually have really good places to take pics from, other than the paddock though. I just have to decide where I'm going to shoot from for each race, as you can't be all places-especially on a busy day like the Whitney. It can be hard to maneuver through the crowds. The paddock was PACKED for the stakes races, and it was kind of neat to see the NBC crew there; Bob Neumeier , Donna Brothers, Eddie Olczyk, Kenny Rice etc. I didn't go to the paddock before the Whitney, as I wanted more pics on the track as well. I took a very few pics of people, like Justin Zayat, and instead focused on the horse "celebrities". LOL

One thing I've noticed from my pics;
    I like to try to capture the expression on the horses faces-they're all so different!!
    I posted Honor Codes eyes before & after the race (above), because they surprisingly (to me) remained clear. When you think about the horses blood pressure during a race, you'd expect to see the eyes all bloodshot afterwards, like in my Texas Red pics, but HC's are not. I can't remember what tour guide talked about the heart rate during a race, but you can always see the veins popping out on their necks after a race or workout. Just something I'm noticing.

Anyway, on to the photos-I took about 800 yesterday! Don't worry, I'll just post a handful here!

Liam's Map, who Honor Code battled with, came in 2nd in the Whitney. He was ridden by Mike Smith.

Before the race

Warming up

At the top of the stretch

After the race

• That's a great study of observing the horses before and after their races! Interesting to see which horses recover quickly and which need more time to be "cooled down". Thanks again SallyT! :oD
  • I was surprised that Angela Renee finished 7th out of 10 in the Longines Test yesterday! She was one of my picks. Here she is with Mike Smith up.
  • Tonalist came in 3rd in the Whitney

Before the race

Warming up

Race-2nd to last at the top of the stretch

After
  • KMMKMM Member
    He just looks sweaty; but hey wouldn't any of us after that kind of effort?:)
  • Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures, SallyT. I'm enjoying comparing Honor Code's before and after head shots. It looks like there's an intensity in his eye before the race that's softened in the after shot.

I thought both Honor Code and Liam's Map ran brilliant races.
  • Thanks again, Sally. Wonderful pictures and clever "angle" to do the before and after headshots and present the other pictures in the "series" in the same order. Try putting them together in a picture book form for publication. Maybe Saratoga would like them for a souvenir booklet they could sell. You could earn some moeny that way. To pay for more days over there.
  • SallyT, thank you for you gorgeous posts. Also, appreciated you comment about how Honor Code did not seem particularly stressed by his race in the Whitney. It has me wondering what his heart and circulatory system are like. Could he have an extra large heart? If HC does have an extra efficient circulatory system, what would American Pharoah's heart and lungs be like? Oh my!!! O.O
  • Thank you, Sally, I would have been there next week if not for uncontrolled circumstances. I so appreciate you sharing your pictures and commentary of Saratoga. I plan on being there next year thru "h___" or high water!!! :-)
  • Where do you live bigherbie?
  • I agree on both counts. I believe that was the best race I've ever had the privilege to watch in person.
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures, SallyT. I'm enjoying comparing Honor Code's before and after head shots. It looks like there's an intensity in his eye before the race that's softened in the after shot.

I thought both Honor Code and Liam's Map ran brilliant races.
  • Thanks for the compliment VA_IN_CA
    But there are so many professional photographers out there, it's amazing. There are cameras everywhere-and very sophisticated ones at that. There must have been a couple of dozen set up on the ground along the finish line alone. Here is a small piece of it.
    Thanks again, Sally. Wonderful pictures and clever "angle" to do the before and after headshots and present the other pictures in the "series" in the same order. Try putting them together in a picture book form for publication. Maybe Saratoga would like them for a souvenir booklet they could sell. You could earn some moeny that way. To pay for more days over there.