Saratoga Race Course

Comments

• bigherbie,
    I'm sorry you won't be coming this year, and I hope your health is improving. I enjoy the anticipation of some things as much as the actual event. If you look at it that way, it will be even more special when you do get here! Kind of how I'm looking at my "someday" trip to the Kentucky Horse Park. I look forward to each new posting of Paniolo_Gal's photo tour. It builds my anticipation, even though my trip is many years in the future. I appreciate the vicarious thrill of the journey until I can get there and experience it firsthand. (It "keeps the dream alive")
    Thank you, Sally, I would have been there next week if not for uncontrolled circumstances. I so appreciate you sharing your pictures and commentary of Saratoga. I plan on being there next year thru "h___" or high water!!! :-)
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    louisespadafora, & Paniolo_Gal
    I'm glad that you (and the others) are enjoying the photos that I share. My friends just don't understand my enthusiasm for the amazing beauty of the horses, and the thrill of the race. It's fun finding new things to focus on (in my case the expressions). I sure hope to find out how American Pharaoh looks before and after the Traver's (fingers crossed that he comes.) Although I can only imagine how tough it will be to get any decent photos on that day!
    SallyT, thank you for you gorgeous posts. Also, appreciated you comment about how Honor Code did not seem particularly stressed by his race in the Whitney. It has me wondering what his heart and circulatory system are like. Could he have an extra large heart? If HC does have an extra efficient circulatory system, what would American Pharoah's heart and lungs be like? Oh my!!! O.O
    That's a great study of observing the horses before and after their races! Interesting to see which horses recover quickly and which need more time to be "cooled down". Thanks again SallyT! :oD
  • @SallyT...Even if your friends at home don't understand your enthusiasm for horses...Your family here in the forum shares your same passion!❤ Thanks so much for posting your beautiful photos! :oD

Cross fingers that you will get to see American Pharoah at Travers! Hope you can bring a selfie stick or other camera extension/attachments so you might be able to take photos above the heads of tight crowds come race day! :oD
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    The Lure Stakes

You can really see the difference in light versus shade!

Winner-Under Control

Place-Charming Kitten

Place -Reload
  • The Fasig-Tipton De La Rose Stakes

Winner-Recepta

Place-Tuttipaesi

Show-A Little Bit Sassy
  • The Longines Test

Winner Cavorting

Place-Bar of Gold

Show-By the Moon
  • Here's Taylor Rice in the winner's circle after the 2nd race on Monster Bea
    (by Hat Trick out of Aunt Bea by Elusive Quality) Owned & trained by Adam Rice.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    So much for posting "just a handful".....here's the final one (#32!!) unless you have a special request; there were a lot of stars there for sure on Saturday!

Take Charge Brandi "took off like a rocket" and lead until the top of the stretch, when she quickly faded to last of 10. She was ridden by Luis Saez, who simply let her fade, hand ride, no whip-so I don't know what happened. Sure hope she's OK!!
  • Take Charge Brandi "took off like a rocket" and lead until the top of the stretch, when she quickly faded to last of 10. She was ridden by Luis Saez, who simply let her fade, hand ride, no whip-so I don't know what happened. Sure hope she's OK!
    She's been hand ridden ever since her BC Juvenile Fillies win. She really doesn't like the whip so they haven't used it on her since then.
  • Where do you live bigherbie?
    Central Florida - 40 miles North of Orlando

• Oh, bigherbie, that is a long way from Saratoga for sure. I have relatives in and around Orlando, but haven't seen them for years. Just email and Christmas card staying in touch now. I visited my aunt and uncle and cousins when they lived in Daytona Beach back in the very early 60s. Bet it's all changed a lot since then. At the time, I thought it was so cool that I could go out and pick an orange off a tree in their back yard. Now I have an orange and a lemon tree in my own yard. lol
  • Is there an on-line site where we can see replays of the races at Saratoga?
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    You can view results here, and to the far right of the race lists is a little tiny movie camera icon for each race.
    https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/results/

Even better, is the HD streaming LIVE! Better quality video, and you sign up, for free. The HD Video link is on the main menu bar to the right, to watch. Sign up here.
    https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/join-now/?redir=/saratoga/nyra-raceday/
  • KMMKMM Member
    All of the Pretty Horses...great shots SallyT.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Baffert Indicates Travers Next for 'Pharoah'
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93560/baffert-indicates-travers-next-for-pharoah

So will he, or won't he? That's the big question......

I've been told that Baffert has not had much success at Saratoga. I don't know the stats but his comment below makes me wonder.
    Excerpt from today
    ..............."Believe me, I'm looking for an excuse not to come, but I'll let Pharoah tell me if he's ready." (Baffert)

All I could find is Baffert is winless in three Travers since his 2001 victory with eventual Horse of the Year Point Given, who also was the last Haskell winner to repeat in the Mid-Summer Derby. (Point Given suffered an injury in that race and was retired.) Among Baffert's Saratoga stakes victories are the King's Bishop, Alabama, Test and Forego, all Grade 1 races. Last year, Baffert won the Haskell with Bayern, then sent the colt to the Travers where he finished 10th.

Excerpt from 8/2/15
    http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/horse-racing-224/2015/08/reading-between-the-lines-with-bob-baffert.html
    ......."Baffert says that Saratoga's track is gimmicky and that it's important for a horse to run there before a big race. "

More from today
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baffert-visits-saratoga-triple-crown-winner-next-200709697--rah.html
    ...."After arriving from California, Baffert checked out trainer John Terranova's barn, where his horses usually stay when they run at the Spa."
    ''We're trying to make it, but he's going to have to really convince me,'' Baffert said. ''I have to be all in and feel really confident, because if he comes here I know he's going to have to run hard. It's a tough, demanding racetrack, but he's handled everything thrown at him so far.''

...........If American Pharoah runs in the Travers, the purse would be raised $350,000 to $1.6 million. New York racing officials also said Travers Day attendance is capped at 50,000.

Baffert does not have a great Travers history. While he's won the Haskell a record seven times, he's 1 for 5 in the Travers - he won it with Point Given in 2001. Last year, eventual Breeders' Cup Classic winner Bayern ran last.

''I've been pressured into bringing other horses here and they didn't do so well, but this horse is different,'' Baffert said. ''Point Given was the only one that I brought in for the Travers that had a chance to win; the other ones, I was just trying to make something happen.''

For now, Baffert will enjoy the sale. After all, American Pharoah is a graduate of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Selected Yearlings sale. He sold for $300,000 in 2013.

''I had to come over and see if maybe there's another American Pharoah in here that everybody missed last time,'' Baffert said. ''He was right there and everybody looked at him and walked away from him. All the geniuses missed him.''
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    Today I went to Saratoga to meet my new friend. We were heading for the backside today. She started off by giving me a tour- I met a lot of people, and I got to see the graves in Clare Court of Fourstardave, Mourjane (IRE) and
    A Phenomenon. (Champion filly Go For Wand is buried in the infield of the main race course, but I haven’t seen that, yet!)

Then we went to meet Recepta, the 4 year old filly who won the Fasig -Tipton De La Rose Stakes on Saturday. (I have photos of her from race day!) I was able to give her some mints and nose rubs. Of course all the horses around her heard the crinkle of the cellophane, and stuck their noses out of their stalls for their turn. They were all gorgeous! I even saw John Terranova’s barn, where American Pharaoh would stay if he comes……

Recepta (Speightstown-Honor Bestowed by Honor Grades) Trained by JJ Toner,
    ridden by Manny Franco.

The plan for today was to go to the infield to watch the first race, which was a steeple chase. It rained so much yesterday, that the turf was too soft, and the race was canceled. My friend couldn’t stay today, but I hung on the backside and saw the next 4 races before I had to head home. The 5th race was scheduled on the turf course, which I was hoping to watch from the infield, but it was moved to the dirt.

I’m supposed to run over to Saratoga tomorrow just to catch the first race, a steeple chase, from the infield. I’ll probably end up staying longer though, now that I've just canceled my plumber’s appointment (for the second day in a row.) A “stable pass” is a terrible thing to waste!

It’s quite different watching races from the backside-it’s so quiet and relaxed. The races I watched were all between 5 & 1/2 to 6 & 1/2 furlongs, so the starting gate was on the backside, and I was on the rail, just a few yards away. I’ve been SO lucky to have these special opportunities this summer.

Here are a few pics from my special day.

A series from a break-It was interesting to see whose noses edged out first.

And from the 5th race...
  • KMMKMM Member
    How were Irish American festivities?
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    I never made it to the Pavillion, where they had special Irish foods. I think the step-dancers were supposed to perform on the track apron, but I missed that too, because I was on the other side. I saw some of the girls in costume though.
    I did win on my first bet today, so the luck was there!
    How were Irish American festivities?
  • KMMKMM Member
    Good for your Irish luck! Wish I could be there! Want to go to BC in my lifetime, visit Deauville in France, and see the l'Arc, and some of Irish races. So many races at great venues, not enough money.:(
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    I hope to go to the BC the first year of my retirement-still quite a ways off. Also want to head to Kentucky.
    Good for your Irish luck! Wish I could be there! Want to go to BC in my lifetime, visit Deauville in France, and see the l'Arc, and some of Irish races. So many races at great venues, not enough money.:(
  • What a lovely, sculpted head Recepta has!

Looks like you had fun SallyT :)
  • KMMKMM Member
    I liked Tuttipaesi (so.). Love the greys. Have owned two.Beautiful head!
  • Fantastic action photos. Those can be so hard to get in focus, great job. Especially like the action shot of Race 5, excellent capture of the jockey standing in the stirrups while the horse under him is all out.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2015
    I went to the steeplechase yesterday, and was able to watch it from the infield.
    My problem (which in my excitement I didn't realize) was my lack of height. I had some nicely framed shots-but the focus set on the rail :0(
    There were 2 spills; the first one I couldn't see, but you could hear the collective
    gasp of the crowd. (#8 All That Rules) I don't know if the horse went down or not. The horse continued to run the course, and was selective of which jumps he went over, and which he went around.
    The other spill (#5 Bau Bai Gold) was a horse & rider where I could see the spill from behind. I believe both of them are OK too. It was towards the end of the race, and I watched the jockey walk away. (and the horse got up and continued on) It was explained to me that they are going over the jumps at a much slower pace, which is an advantage in a fall. Injuries tend to be shoulder as opposed to leg. They still have not posted the video replay of the race, but I'm curious to see what it looks like.
    Any way here are a few pics;

CIRCLING THE TREE

LINING UP FOR THE START

AND THEY"RE OFF

FIRST JUMP

THE RIDERLESS HORSE "All That Rules" TOOK THIS JUMP ONCE

BUT DECIDED TO PASS IT THE NEXT TIME
  • Some people take the wearing of pink quite seriously on Fabulous Fillies Day!