Northern CA please check in!

Since I haven't posted here in months I hope I have this in the right folder. Forgive me if I did this wrong.

By now most of you have heard that we had an earthquake early this morning. I suppose I'm acting nonchalant about it because while it shook me awake--I think the earthquake had minimized by the time it got to me. I just simply lay there waiting for the ceiling to cave in on me. I live on the first floor so everything comes down on my head.

I'm certain that others are frightened and need to talk. Well this is the place! And I promise no harsh statements in return from me! Having lived through Loma Prieta I know it can be frightening and scary. Please check in and let us know you're okay.

Or pm me and we can chat if you need help.

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hi Margaret
    Called my daughter in Sac....all ok
    Called friends in Concord...all ok
    Heidi in Valejo....said lot of shaking...minimal damage
    Napa is about half way between Sac and Concord on I-80
    Valejo between Concord and Napa
  • And I live west of Vallejo. I was quite surprised too see it registered as a 6. Where I am it didn't feel that sharp. It was alarming but not lot Loma Prieta.

It still woke a lot of people up, scared others and still others slet right through it!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hubby and i lived in Concord from 1989 to 2005....he was raised there...i got there in Nov ....2wks before the earthquake in 1989...welcome to Cal...
  • I was born during that earthquake in 1989. My mom was in the hospital when it happened, literally gave birth to me during the earthquake. I've always known it as the San Francisco earthquake though, didnt happen there did it?
  • The epicenter was in the mountains between San Jose and Santa Cruz, about 3 miles from my mom's house. The quake was actually the Loma Prieta quake. I remember it well.
  • It didn't reach SoCal, but your post reminded me that the only time I got really scared during an earthquake was when I happened to be in the canned vegetable aisle at Costco, where the cans are gigantic and piled high up on metal shelves which were swaying violently back and forth. I thought I was about be be smashed by cans of killer tomatoes. I left my purse and cart there and ran into the middle of the store where the books and clothes are. Some people laughed and I did too. It was pretty funny once I got out of the way of the vibrating shelves. Miraculously none of the tomatoes fell. lol
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2014
    I hope your purse was there in the cart when you went back to retrieve it in the canned vegetable aisle at Costco. :oD

But more important...I hope all forum members close to the epicenter are safe and unharmed. Awful videos of the damages to the wine country and the buildings in the area. Lot's of photos of survivors with black eyes and facial injuries when they were awakened at 3:00am to this earthquake with falling debris on them. :o(
  • Yes, I could actually watch the cart from the center of the store and no one ventured into that aisle for it. Too dangerous.
  • Lots of aftershocks this am. I'm about 40 miles away. Just rattled nerves, mostly.
  • hope all is well with everyone out there