Lane's End

rbandurarbandura Member
edited March 2012 in Zenyatta
Does anyone know if Lane's End allows visitors? This is on my bucket list!! Thanks!

Comments

• From what I've read here and on their website, they do allow visitors to see the stallions but if you visited you wouldn't be able to visit Z or Tasty or any of the other mares.
  • Oh darn...that's who I want to see Zenyatta...is that because she is a new mom?
  • Of course, we all want to go see Zenyatta but from what I understand, they are very particular about allowing people visit the broodmare area. This is because various infections can be easily spread.
    As we heard in the conversation the other day, Zenyatta is located about 1 mile into the farm at Lane's End so she is definitely kept out of harms way. Maybe we can Hot Air Balloon in!!!
  • That is my biggest wish too!!! Maybe someday.
  • Who are they going to breed her to this year?
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Jerry Moss is very superstitious about breeding; he wants to wait till he sees that mom and baby are doing well. Supposedly the announcement will be made soon. I know that he and Ann take this VERY seriously, so whoever they choose to be the lucky stallion, it will be an EXCELLENT choice. Only the best for our Queen!!!
  • ZenDance - that's what I understand as well. Also, the stallion barns are set up to allow the stallions to be viewed so that prospective broodmare owners can choose a stallion for their mare. The broodmare barns are not set up the same to accommodate visitors.

For now, since I don't have thousands of dollars to donate to a charity to win a visit with the Queen, I am resigned to be content with frequent updates from her family. :)
  • Horsegirl53Horsegirl53 Member
    edited March 2012
    I have heard Zenyatta will be bread to Curlin.....and yes I very much want to see Zenyatta too. A hot air balloon doesn't sound too bad. I guess if they let visitors see Zenyatta, she would be so overloaded and Lanes End Farm would be too..She just has way too many fans..She is so loved....
  • LE's is closed to visitors during breeding season. They have a short window to see stallions during the summer.

I know this isn't gonna sit well with some but Z is outta harm's way being way inside LE. Be content that we get the updates that we do. Generally once a filly/mare retires they go off into the black hole of broodmaredom! Never to be heard or seen again. Plus we pics and video.

Someday when Z is retired from being a broodmare--they may consider moving her to a place like KHP so everyone can visit. But that's a LONG time from now.

I'm grateful for what we are and have been given.
  • WOW thanks everyone for your responses....great!!
  • I guess it would be "WHO YOU KNOW" to get to see Zenyatta!! :-)
    I am so happy for her that she is a new mom...but boy, do I miss her on the racetrack!!
  • In the "Talkin' Horses" interview on The Blood Horse last week, the folks from Lane's End were asked if fans would be able to visit Zenyatta in the future and the answer was "maybe". They are looking at the logistics of getting visitors to and from the broodmare division. Getting people back there would disrupt the routine of the farm, and we all know how important routine is for horses ... and especially Zenny!
  • Z3nyatta - You are right about the Stallion Barns.
    Frustrating for us though. Zenyatta has taken the popularity of a mares to a new heights. And look at all the other tremendous mares that have been racing recently. She being the Queen, of course, but there are many mares that I'd like to see.
  • AlexAlex Member
    Zenyatta is safe where she is and will not receive "Public" visitors. I never saw her in person and hope to some day. I would prefer her to be taken care of the way LE is and
    having healthy happy babies!!
  • Roberta50Roberta50 Member
    edited March 2012
    I saw something online that discussed, who would be a good cross for Zenny and they did some nicking and gave a list of which horses, they thought, came out best for her. It's interesting to see if any of these horses will be picked. A++ is the best and F is the worst.

Lanes End
    City Zip A++
    Mineshaft A++
    Stephen Got Even A++

Claiborne
    First Samurai A++
    Flatter A++
    Pulpit A++ (son of A. P. Indy)

Gainesway
    Afleet Alex A++
    Afleet Express A++

Ashford Stud
    Majestic Warrior A++

Vinery
    Congrats A++

Spendthrift
    Dublin A++
    Malibu Moon A++ (son of A.P. Indy)

Three Chimneys
    Red Giant A++
  • MartyMarty Member
    I hope they do allow her fans to see her some day but I do understand that it's all about keeping her safe and healthy. So I'm ok with that. I will wait..
  • Of course, we all want to go see Zenyatta but from what I understand, they are very particular about allowing people visit the broodmare area. This is because various infections can be easily spread.
    As we heard in the conversation the other day, Zenyatta is located about 1 mile into the farm at Lane's End so she is definitely kept out of harms way. Maybe we can Hot Air Balloon in!!!
    From the last news bit Mrs. Moss wasn't at the foal shower because she fell ill coming back from KY, where she was in very close contact with Zee's Wee(one), no chance of her infecting the foal/Mom? Just wondering, nthg to worry about, right?
    Of course, we all want to go see Zenyatta but from what I understand, they are very particular about allowing people visit the broodmare area. This is because various infections can be easily spread.

• "From the last news bit Mrs. Moss wasn't at the foal shower because she fell ill coming back from KY, where she was in very close contact with Zee's Wee(one), no chance of her infecting the foal/Mom? Just wondering, nthg to worry about, right?"

It's very unlikely that Ann could have caught anything from or given anything to little 12Z. Human viruses shouldn't affect horses or vice versa. My cat keeps sneezing in my face (literally ... when I get in bed at night, he comes up purring happily and then sneezes!) and I haven't caught anything. :)

We have some nasty viruses making the rounds here in SoCal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ann Moss fell victim to one of them ... Here's hoping she feels much better very soon!

• "From the last news bit Mrs. Moss wasn't at the foal shower because she fell ill coming back from KY, where she was in very close contact with Zee's Wee(one), no chance of her infecting the foal/Mom? Just wondering, nthg to worry about, right?"

It's very unlikely that Ann could have caught anything from or given anything to little 12Z. Human viruses shouldn't affect horses or vice versa. My cat keeps sneezing in my face (literally ... when I get in bed at night, he comes up purring happily and then sneezes!) and I haven't caught anything. :)

We have some nasty viruses making the rounds here in SoCal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ann Moss fell victim to one of them ... Here's hoping she feels much better very soon!
    Actually, cats can catch the TB from humans, herpes. Humans can't get infected by a cat, unless it's rabies or they're alergic(cat scratch disease)

• edited March 2012
    I don't think they're worried about 12Z catching a human virus....But there was (a while back) a very serious equine condition that transfered itself via air or contact. Even touching an infected horse then touching a non-infected horse could spread it. Viruses like that can be deadly.
  • aprilone95aprilone95 Member
    edited March 2012
    Lane's End will allow Stallion visits and some others, but even with them you have to make an appointment. They are wonderful people there. I took a stallion tour...due to the fact that I was the groom for Summer Squall when he was a yearling. I wanted to see him once more after he retired. The people there was wonderful. Also in the thoroughbred industry....the owners, breeders, trainers, are really particular about people petting them. You handle money every day of your life and money carries cocaine. What happens when you pet a thoroughbred....into the blood stream. Just stop and think about it. I speak not only from being a groom for one of the top racing stable some years ago, but also now as a security guard for the horses when they race at Keeneland and if the horse is entered in the Derby....you won't get close with me there. I wish all that come to KY to visit Lane's End....just a beautiful site. One day we will get to see Z. I did when she came into Keeneland. What a grand lady
  • wishing ANN a speedy recovery.......Too much excitement can weaken the immune system and then before you know it your body comes to a stand still. Her plate has been quite full for some time so now that Zenny and 12 Z are safe and sound she can take a deep breath and rest. Feel better soon !!!!!!!!!!
  • Luckily I stumbled on an Open House at Lanes End the day after the Breeders Cup last year. What a beautiful place and my. Iggest thrill was actually getting to see A.P. Indy. Everyone was so gracious. If you ever get the chance to visit don't miss it. Of course I inquired about Z, and was told she was in the middle safe and sound. Of course I blew her a kiss
  • AlleyneAlleyne Member
    edited March 2012
    We took a trip to Kentucky several years ago and toured several farms to see stallions. Lane's End was spectacular. Charismatic was still there. Pleasant Tap, Dixieland Band and Dixie Union were still alive. Loved it! Especially A.P. who begged me for a mint, but we weren't allowed to feed him. They said he got fat on air and his diet had to be carefully monitored.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I have heard Zenyatta will be bread to Curlin.....and yes I very much want to see Zenyatta too. A hot air balloon doesn't sound too bad. I guess if they let visitors see Zenyatta, she would be so overloaded and Lanes End Farm would be too..She just has way too many fans..She is so loved....
    I don't believe Curlin is a good nick with her. I know that one reason she was bred to Bernie was because AP Indy was an excellent nick, but because of his age, it was uncertain as to whether he was still potent. (and in fact, was retired after last year as no mares he covered, took) Bernardini, being his son, and with good prospects already on the track was chosen. I believe the Moss' "chose well"