Lane's End

Comments

• Casey, I agree with your comment about choosing Bernie.

Gee, I hope Mrs. Moss recovers soon. I highly doubt that she picked up anything from the foal. Many people are getting hit with this cold/flu bug lately. That photo of her lying in the straw with the Z colt was priceless. She took us all to that very moment with her.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I don't think they're worried about 12Z catching a human virus....But there was (a while back) a very serious equine condition that transfered itself via air or contact. Even touching an infected horse then touching a non-infected horse could spread it. Viruses like that can be deadly.
    ZNotLast1- you're talking about EHV-1 I'm thinking? It is contagious, airborne for about 30 feet, also through direct contact. There were confirmed cases in San Juan Capistrano and Indio in January and February of the neurologic strain. More recently, cases of non-pathogenic neurological strain in San Diego county and Monterey county. The most important thing to remember is it's a reportable disease, so if someone's horse has it, the facility they are in is locked down into quarantine, no one in or out, unless medical emergency (like colic surgery) If anyone is interested, I'll post the California site URL that will take you directly to the page and you can keep up with the info. (And amaze your friends who are trying to tell you that a friend of a friend of a friend's horse had it, and now it's all over the town, you can check the site and refute them- yeah, we got a lot of those calls)

• Changing the subject, thanks Roberta for listing the best nicks for Zenyatta. We shall see pretty soon, we all hope.
  • Your welcome.
  • tanzatanza Member
    Anyone hear if Tasty foaled yet?
  • I saw something online that discussed, who would be a good cross for Zenny and they did some nicking and gave a list of which horses, they thought, came out best for her. It's interesting to see if any of these horses will be picked. A++ is the best and F is the worst.

Roberta, this is great information, and it is fun to speculate who will be Z's next "date"! Just a word of caution on Nicks (and I'm sure you know this, but others might not): It is JUST A PLACE TO START. There is much more to mating the right mare and stallion to each other. Bottom line, though, it is not an exact science, and there is as much art as there is science involved. I've been told you can spend a lifetime studying pedigrees and still there is much that remains a mystery of what works and what doesn't. Thank goodness we have Team Z who really care about the horse that will be produced and want him/her to be healthy and sound.
  • Roberta50Roberta50 Member
    edited March 2012
    I agree. Its very hard to get the next great horse. There are so many factors involved.
    Team Z will pick, who they think is best for Zenny. I know she is in great hands.
  • Oh yes, Abigail did a great pedigree analysis, don't
    Think it is going to be Curlin, too muscular and solid
    Mr Prospector.
  • I don't think they're worried about 12Z catching a human virus....But there was (a while back) a very serious equine condition that transfered itself via air or contact. Even touching an infected horse then touching a non-infected horse could spread it. Viruses like that can be deadly.

ZNotLast1- you're talking about EHV-1 I'm thinking? It is contagious, airborne for about 30 feet, also through direct contact. There were confirmed cases in San Juan Capistrano and Indio in January and February of the neurologic strain. More recently, cases of non-pathogenic neurological strain in San Diego county and Monterey county. The most important thing to remember is it's a reportable disease, so if someone's horse has it, the facility they are in is locked down into quarantine, no one in or out, unless medical emergency (like colic surgery) If anyone is interested, I'll post the California site URL that will take you directly to the page and you can keep up with the info. (And amaze your friends who are trying to tell you that a friend of a friend of a friend's horse had it, and now it's all over the town, you can check the site and refute them- yeah, we got a lot of those calls)

Actually we had a few cases here in Washington, I remember all of us at my riding school being very worried about all of the horses because we hosted a lot of shows there.
  • edited March 2012
    Does anyone know if Lane's End allows visitors? This is on my bucket list!! Thanks!
    Oh darn...that's who I want to see Zenyatta...is that because she is a new mom?
  • Rhonda,
    On Lanes End site they have the visiting criteria; it is after breeding season until November, curtailed at breeders cup time and during the derby; appointments
    required and no broodmares. I don't thing anyone will be visiting Zenyatta, their focus is to keep her pregnant every year and her foals healthy and happy along with her.
    Horses change friends very often and it is not traumatic for them just like with people we make new friends and move on.
  • Logistically, it would be a lot of extra work for the farm to allow visitors and make sure that there wouldn't be any "issues" for visitors or for Zenyatta during the visit. Plus, they're so busy right now with the breeding season, and with her having a new foal, they probably wouldn't expect Zenyatta to welcome a bunch of visitors, in the manner of posing for photos or allowing any one-on-one time with her. We are lucky that they do the updates and photos though. It is true that usually most broodmares really don't get heard about much once they retire.

I am just thinking of the way Stonestreet so graciously hosted visitors to see Rachel before her colt was born. And thought was extraordinary because I had never heard of a farm allowing that for a broodmare, even a widely popular one. But it seems their way of taking visitors in limited groups at certain times by van to Rachel's barn was the best way to limit traffic and disruption. Of course, it still created extra work for them. With Lane's End managing so many more horses at their farm, and with Zenyatta being so popular and just living her private life to focus on broodmare duties now, I can see them not wanting to have visitors for her. But that was nice of them to say "maybe" - I know they know everyone would still like to see her. If it's at all feasible and the Mosses agree, I'm sure they will.

Until then, we do have the photos!

Sarah
  • I was delighted that Bernardini was chosen for Zenyattas first foal. I have followed him from the start and I think that baby Z12 looks the best of both of them!
    I think Curlin would be excellent choice. If ONLY Secretariat were still with us! That would be another great match.
  • The next best thing to Secretariat is his grandson; Storm Cat, but he's retired from stud duty =( Delineator.....?
  • I visited TOLNS of stallions last year and would LOVE to see her bred to Mineshaft, City Zip, Afleet Alex, or Majestic Warrior (who I have to say is abotu as PERFECT as a horse can get in person). Pioneerof the NIle too!!

I think I would be over the moon to see her bred to Afleet Alex but as 15.3 hands the poor little guy would need a step stool!!

I think Mineshaft is PERFECT!! VERY impressive indeed and City Zip would surely add some nice speed to her.

Curlin is a horrible match for her...his nick is an F...too much Mr. P. in there. Besides as big as Z is and as massive as Curlin is that foal would be HUGE and a potential danger to deliver. Rock Hard Ten would be the same and as perfect as the nick is and as impressive as he was in person Majestic Warrior is HUGE too. Between them the baby would be a draft horse!

Some of the lesser nicked horses had very nice form and conformation to them. I tell you Notional was very nice in person (not a good cross for her) and so was Midnight Lute and Harlington (both not good crosses either). Giant's Causeway is a good nick and so is Big Brown but I would imagine if they dont' go back to Bernardini I would LOVE to see them bred her to Mineshaft or Afleet Alex which are both A++ nicks. Pulpit would be nice too.

SO many options for sure. I wish Slew City Slew was still in duty...he was a son of Seattle Slew liek AP Indy and a total bargain for his price. After all he sired Lava Man! Wish Zen crossed better with Awesome Again, Tapit, or TIznow.
  • Okay, I'm going to expose my ignorance. What is a "nick"?
  • My best friend and I (and our respective spouses) had an invitation to visit Lanes End last October. We were treated to a tour of the stallion barn. Visits with Zenyatta go through the Mosses. It is my dream to see her in person.
  • Going to the Derby is on my bucket list. If I live long enough maybe LE and the moss's will have the logistics worked out if it is ever to be for Zen to have visitors I could do both in the same visit. Now that would be a dream come true
  • to aprilone95....wow how lucky were you to work there!! I live on vancouver island where there are many horse farms...one, which is very close to where I live....where there is a new colt out in the field with his mom....I visit them often, and every time I see them I can't help of think of Zenyatta and her new colt and wonder how they are doing etc... one day hoping to see her in person!
  • About picking next 'studmuffin' for Zenny...I love Curlin but agree with others that he may be just to big to match up with her already impressive stature. Agree that Bernie was a really good pick since his sire was not quite reliably available. I love Uncle Mo but he's a fairly close relative of Zennys (Kris S) and I believe the Moss's are going for a classic distance type, which MO isn't.
    There are many studs to choose from! I also love the Tiznow family and have thing for Tapit kids (yes, he's a Pulpit son so still AP Indy line).
    Oh...about visits to Stonestreet Farms. don't forget that Barbara Banke not only owns Rachel but also owns that farm which is a broodmare farm...no stallions there (which is why Curlin is standing at Lanes End). They can make all the rules and take all the needed safety measures they need for the mares and foals.
  • We took a trip to Kentucky several years ago and toured several farms to see stallions. Lane's End was spectacular. Charismatic was still there. Pleasant Tap, Dixieland Band and Dixie Union were still alive. Loved it! Especially A.P. who begged me for a mint, but we weren't allowed to feed him. They said he got fat on air and his diet had to be carefully monitored.
    Dear Alleyne:
    How lucky you are. You saw AP Indy and some other wonderful stallions and from the photos I've seen of Lane's End Farm, it is outstanding. Hugs, JB

• Okay, I'm going to expose my ignorance. What is a "nick"?
    Dear VA_in_CA:

Here is a definition of "Nick" that I found. Hope it helps. Hugs, JB

Re: What is a "Nick"?
    February 24 2005, 4:03 PM

lol Damascus, I think there is another definition.

As best I understand it a "nick" can be simply stated as the affinity found between crossing 2 bloodlines. Therefore Paseana, a good "nick" is described in your post Nasrullah/Pricequillo that worked well with the result of Secretariat as well as others. Another popular nick that is used as an example of a good nick is Northern Dancer/Mr. Prospector. I am sure that someone else may have more examples of crosses that have worked well together.
    I know people like Werk do their nick ratings that can range from A++ to an F. I believe they base their ratings on the % of high class runners in a particular cross (not sure if they use black type, stakes winners or graded winners as it has been a while since I have read their grading methods). I worry that some of their grades are based on too small of a # of cases.
    The nick does not have to be grandsire on the sireline and broodmare sire. As a matter of fact, the closer up the nick is, the stronger it should be. For example, a sire that is a son of Storm Cat crossing with a Mr Prospector mare would not be as strong as breeding the same Mr Prospector mare to Storm Cat directly. I think it can be useful to look at good nicks that are further back especially if the new breeding can reinforce some crosses that are already there.
  • Thanks JB, this sort of helps. It's obviously very technical and complicated. No "back yard breeding" in the horse business for serious breeders, that's for sure.
  • Thanks JB, this sort of helps. It's obviously very technical and complicated. No "back yard breeding" in the horse business for serious breeders, that's for sure.
    That's why I'm going to the best equine college in America to learn how to breed and train horses.... Anyone have any news on TT??
  • Wow. I didn't even know there were equine colleges in America, or anywhere else for that matter. Fascinating. I was way ahead of the times. In my day, women didn't even become veterinarians, or at least not very many did. I wanted to be one, but it just wasn't done. Besides the math and chemistry classes would have weeded me out early on. I was an English major. More power to you. Best wishes in your studies and future career. Virginia