Lane's End

13»

Comments

• Wow. I didn't even know there were equine colleges in America, or anywhere else for that matter. Fascinating. I was way ahead of the times. In my day, women didn't even become veterinarians, or at least not very many did. I wanted to be one, but it just wasn't done. Besides the math and chemistry classes would have weeded me out early on. I was an English major. More power to you. Best wishes in your studies and future career. Virginia
    Thank you ^^ I'd thought of being an equine veterinarian but I don't think I could stand taking blood ( I have a needle phobia) surgery, ect. There are LOT'S of equine colleges in America; I chose to go to Maridith Manor.
  • Does anyone know if the stallions at Lanes End are ridden? I visited Three Chimneys several times and was told each time that they rode most of the stallions daily.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • candicandi Member
    I think we visit kentucky, and rent a helecopter just to see my Queen Zenyatta and of course 12Z that's my dream!!!.
  • Does anyone know if the stallions at Lanes End are ridden? I visited Three Chimneys several times and was told each time that they rode most of the stallions daily.
    I don't think so. I believe Three Chimney's practice of riding some of their stallions is rather unusual.
  • What exactly does it take to land a job at Lane's End...must be a multitude of things...must one go to equine college?? thoughts or ideas??
  • KetaKeta Member
    What exactly does it take to land a job at Lane's End...must be a multitude of things...must one go to equine college?? thoughts or ideas??
    I posted a Discussion about a school in Kentucky where jockeys are trained.
    They have expanded to include horseman training.
    It was set up by Chris McCarron.
    Worth the read!
  • I just want to say I really miss Dottie's and Z's Diary BIG TIME. The formu is great but not the same.
  • I agree with carolcouvillon: the forum is a good substitute, but nothing comes close to the genuine cleverness of the Diary. It combined information with such a gentle sweetness. I've been a bit amazed at the somewhat cranky responses from some folk in the forum - especially if they disagree with what others are posting. That is definitely not something that was around with the Diary. Perhaps some people are irritable after winter and looking forward to spring? Whatever, tolerance needs to be remembered at all times.
  • KetaKeta Member
    The University of Arizona has a Race Track Industry Program
    Bob Baffert is one of the notable graduates.
    Here is the link to info
    http://www.ua-rtip.org/
  • my boyfriend and I a going to kentucky in May for the Kentucky Derby hope to get to see alot of scenry while there
  • KetaKeta Member
    I agree with carolcouvillon: the forum is a good substitute, but nothing comes close to the genuine cleverness of the Diary. It combined information with such a gentle sweetness. I've been a bit amazed at the somewhat cranky responses from some folk in the forum - especially if they disagree with what others are posting. That is definitely not something that was around with the Diary. Perhaps some people are irritable after winter and looking forward to spring? Whatever, tolerance needs to be remembered at all times.
    Kathy & carolcouvillon,
    Those of us who have been on the Diary since the beginning have shared so much about Zenyatta, racing, horses & behavior, and personal journeys.
    Sometimes I think this gets forgotten when someone new asks a question or makes a comment.
    This should be a place of caring and supportive answers.
    As they used to say in the corporate world; There is no such thing as a dumb question.
    If you are asking it, someone else wants to, but didn't.
    I'm with on this.
    FYI-there was occasional crankiness on the Diary.
    But, overall it was a loving environment.
    Hugs,
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member

North American Racing Academy pre-admission orientation
    What: The Bluegrass Community and Technical College program will have a meeting for local high school graduates and their parents as well as other interested applicants
    When: 1 p.m. April 16
    Where: Keeneland's Track Kitchen, 4201 Versailles Road.
    Learn more: (859) 293-0209. Nara.kctcs.edu.

the academy may become a work-force development powerhouse, with students landing jobs at top racing stables, or leading sales agencies and breeding farms. A big secret to the school's success has been earning internships with top trainers such as Motion, Todd Pletcher, Steve Asmussen, Jonathan Sheppard, Ken McPeek and Richard Mandella.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/26/2126469/successful-jockey-school-expanding.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy
  • KetaKeta Member
    How a Champion Stallion Lives (Video includes Zenyatta who is not a stallion)
    A major real-estate decision looms for top thoroughbred colts of the Triple Crown racing season: which luxury farms should they choose for their second career as a stallion? Pia Catton looks at some of the most
    http://live.wsj.com/video/how-a-champion-stallion-lives/1ED6D7EC-F7ED-4CA2-9BA4-B8BBDB1DB4EE.html#!1ED6D7EC-F7ED-4CA2-9BA4-B8BBDB1DB4EE
  • KetaKeta Member
    The Versailles for Thoroughbreds (WSJ print article goes with video)
    Pia Catton The Wall Street Journal Updated June 7, 2013, 6:42 p.m. ET.
    After retiring from the racetrack, big-name colts like Big Brown and Super Saver begin a second career at Kentucky stud farms, where they get the elite-athlete treatment in a stable environment
    With the Triple Crown racing season wrapping up, a major real-estate decision looms for the top thoroughbred colts and their owners: Which stud farms offer the most luxury for a second career as a stallion?
    At the elite level, farms offer the accommodations and amenities befitting a world-class equine athlete: Every detail of a stallion's meals, comfort, health, security, little black book, even the air he breathes, will be attended to by a staff providing concierge-level service.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323728204578517270320339266.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet
    Farms featured in article are: Three Chimneys, WinStar Farm, Lane's End Farm
  • Thanks for posting, Keta. Very interesting and beautiful. The video, however, was too short.
  • Wow, I want to live in any one of them.
  • Thanks for posting the video and the article. Very interesting information. On my next trip to KY I hope to tour some of the farms and see these barns for myself!