Wise Dan - Two time Horse of the Year and a Grand Old Gelding

How is it that the amazing Wise Dan has never had his own Discussion?

Wow, wow, wow. He's back. Wonderful, winning effort in the Bernard Baruch (after a bit of a gate incident) after a long lay-off and surgery for colic. Thirteen turf wins in a row.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/87085/wise-dan-victorious-in-bernard-baruch-return

Comments

• Dan is magnificent and he proved it in the Bernard Baruch today, Keeneland should give him a hero's welcome when he returns.
  • All I can say is WOW! I'm so glad to see Wise Dan back and winning. :)
  • I was happy to see him come back!
  • JanDJanD Member
    He looked awesome coming down the stretch.
  • How is it that the amazing Wise Dan has never had his own Discussion?

I couldn't believe it either!
    Here are a couple of photos I took of him training at Saratoga a few weeks back;
  • SallyT....again beautiful photos!
  • A Day in the Life of Wise Dan
    Steve Haskin (Hangin' with Haskin) The Blood-Horse 01 Sept. 2014
    The dawn is breaking on a beautiful, cool Saratoga morning. This is the day everyone in Charlie LoPresti’s barn has been waiting for. The day begins as any other, but there is a sense of excitement and anticipation in the air. This is the day of Wise Dan’s long-awaited return in the Bernard Baruch Handicap following colic surgery only 3 1/2 months earlier.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/09/01/a-day-in-the-life-of-wise-dan.aspx?
    An amazing article with photos by the great Steve Haskin.
    Describes race day in detail.
  • Two-Time Horse of the Year Wise Dan Schooling in the Gate
    Published on Oct 1, 2014 TVG
    Watch reigning two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan face seven opponents Saturday in the 29th running of the Shadwell Turf Mile (G1) live on TVG. The Shadwell will be the first $1 million race in Keeneland history. It's also a Win and You’re In race for the Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) to be run Nov. 1 at Santa Anita

• Wise Dan is running October 4th in the Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes. He will be ridden by John Velazquez. He is trained by Charles LoPresti and owned by Mort Fink.
  • Sally,
    Your pics of Wise Dan are just outstanding. He is my favorite horse that is racing now, and your pics show off that wonderful stride that has made him a star. He is built like a prize fighter, but he has such a kind eye and intelligent look. Thanks again for the great shots! :-)
    I will be watching him race again on October 4th!
  • I am wondering if he will be in the HOY running again this year. No horse has been able to win HOY 3 years in a row in a very long time.
  • He's my favorite horse racing now, too, louisespadfore, hopefully to be replaced, or at least joined, soon by Cozmic One. Sorry to learn Wise Dan is a gelding. Just never learned that bit of info. He is a beauty and does seem like a very nice horse as well. Also wise. (hahaha) Really great pictures, Sally.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited October 2014
    How is it that the amazing Wise Dan has never had his own Discussion?

I couldn't believe it either!
    Here are a couple of photos I took of him training at Saratoga a few weeks back;
    imagePhoto by SallyT
    That photo you took above reminds me of Secretariat.
  • Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
    By Claire Novak The Blood-Horse October 1, 2014 10:05 PM
    Morton Fink's two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan faces the stiffest challenge of his remarkable return from colic surgery when he takes on Seek Again and
    Silver Max among seven rivals in the $1 million Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Oct. 4.
    The marquee grass race with the newly boosted purse is the first seven-figure event in the Lexington track's history. It has been Wise Dan's key prep for the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) for the past two years, after which the Wiseman's Ferry gelding has gone on to ace that season's-end event at Santa Anita Park.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/87719/wise-dan-faces-stiff-shadwell-turf-mile-test
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2014
    Daily Racing Form @DRFInsidePost
    Wise Dan 4th behind Gio Ponti, Get Stormy, Sidney's Candy in 2011 Shadwell Mile - and that's most recent time he lost on turf. #Keeneland

Interesting to note that all of those boys are now good sires. Gio Ponti is getting good foals, as is Get Stormy. Sidneys Candy is just amazing
  • Wise Dan boxed in between horses!!
  • WOOOOOOOW!!!!!! Wise Dan went outsie of horses and mowed them down ever so slowly but got it done by a neck!
  • He missed the break at the gate and broke slowly. Was boxed behind horses and had no running room. Then around the turn he went outside of horses and that is when he started mowing them down. What a horse! My heart is racing
  • God, i love this horse!
  • I jumped off the couch and started crying. May need to have Kylea update this Discussion title to Wise Dan - THREE Time Horse of the Year and a Grand Old Gelding. One of the great ones, for the history books.....
  • Wise Dan could possibly go to the BC Classic. HIs connections are thinking about it, it was said if they were going to try it, now would be the time cuz they dont know how much more races this horse has left in him being how old he is.
  • Darn, dreams are dashed :(

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    On NBCSN, Fink emphatically says "no" to Classic. Says BC Mile is goal. Good coverage all around on subject by @nickluck
  • Darn, dreams are dashed :(

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    On NBCSN, Fink emphatically says "no" to Classic. Says BC Mile is goal. Good coverage all around on subject by @nickluck
    Oh well. As trainer Charles LoPresti said "he keeps giving and he doesn't owe anyone anything". Mr. Fink just is not going to jeopardize Dan at this point for the sake of “proving” anything.
  • Paniolo_Gal, he reminds me very much of Secretariat. He's descended from him on both sides, so I like to think we're seeing a little bit of Secretariat in him, which is especially nice on a day that's sad for Big Red fans.
  • horseracinghl ‏@horseracinghl · 59s60 seconds ago
    Trainer Charlie LoPresti on Wise Dan "It was emotional in Saratoga but it was really emotional here. He's just an incredible horse."