Wise Dan - Two time Horse of the Year and a Grand Old Gelding

Comments

• Ashton, this video is very well done, and I also think the Queen song goes well with it.

Did anyone else notice that it looked like Wise Dan tried to dump Velazquez in the winner's circle? Velazquez wisely took the hint and dismounted rapidly. At the time I thought it was just Wise Dan being his opinionated self, but now I wonder if the injury may have been bothering him.

I was just reminded of this because there's a picture of it in Ashton's video.
  • Thank you to everyone for your time and very sweet comments. I love Queen, but fully understand music is always a matter of taste and Queen isn't for everyone.
    jen_bloom. Yes, I did notice. I'm crushed he's injured. Thankfully with him, we can completely trust them to do right by him.
  • Marty McGee @DRFMcGee
    Just talked to C.LoPresti, who said 2X HOY @WiseDan_ doing very well in recovering from minor ankle injury. More at http://live.drf.com
  • Want him to come back. He is all heart. Too bad he probably won't be available for second career when he is done. Who knows? Seems like a horse who loves to work.
  • Catching Up with Wise Dan
    Anne Eberhardt •Through the Lens+The Blood Horse Dec. 10 2014
    Anne recently stopped by the Charlie and Amy LoPresti barn at Keeneland in Lexington, Kentucky, to see Wise Dan.
    The two-time Horse of the Year was his usual self, full of energy, watching the shedrow activities and looking to nip anyone who got close enough.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/throughthelens/archive/2014/12/10/checking-in-with-wise-dan.aspx?

• Wise Dan Recovering Well as Season Ends
    By Claire Novak The Blood Horse Dec. 8 2014
    On a cold December morning at Keeneland, two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan stood near the front of his stall keeping a sharp eye on a group of yearlings as they trotted past.
    The youngsters were newly arrived from trainer Charlie LoPresti's nearby Forest Lane Farm and the 7-year-old champ viewed their occasional spooks and squeals with pricked ears and an air of experienced superiority. You'd never see him throwing such hijinks, no sir. Not any more, at least.
    Six Eclipse Awards, two victories in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), multiple record-setting grade I victories, four wins from as many starts in 2014, and a comeback from colic surgery this May have settled the Wiseman's Ferry gelding from his firecracker days. But don't confuse that mellow nature with loss of zeal. Wise Dan still gives his handlers a feisty bit of feel-good sass now and then, especially when he hasn't raced in a while.
    Recovering from a minor non-displaced fracture at the bottom of the cannon bone of his right front fetlock, Morton Fink's homebred runner has been powering along down the shedrow. He tack-walks every day under regular exercise rider Damien Rock, and although his usual season vacation is about to begin, LoPresti fully expects him to campaign in 2015.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/89116/wise-dan-recovering-well-as-season-ends#ixzz3LcIGkV4H

• Quote from 1st article:

"Wise Dan, whose wintery, chestnut coat is growing in, will relocate to the LoPresti’s Forest Lane Farm where he’ll have his usual winter break before returning to training in 2015".

WHAT?? I thought he was retiring.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited December 2014
    There was no mention that he would be retiring. Just that he is taking time off to heal and then will be coming back to race next year.
  • His injury isn't too serious. His trainer said that he could of run but didn't want to risk more damage to the ankle so they scratched him and had him heal up. What's scary about this is that fact alone. With any other not so famous trainer, the horse would of run regardless. That's how you get breakdowns.
  • Wow, I wasn't expecting a 2015 campaign from Wise Dan, but I'm not worried. If he wasn't back to 100% they wouldn't race him again.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Champion Wise Dan Back at the Track
    By Claire Novak The Blood-Horse March 2, 2015
    Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan will begin tack-walking and is expected to undergo further evaluation in two to three weeks as to whether he will continue progress toward a return to the races in 2015, trainer Charlie LoPresti said March 2.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90412/champion-wise-dan-back-at-the-track#ixzz3TGC0UdE5

• Reunited: Champion Wise Dan Rejoins LoPresti’s Barn At Keeneland
    by Paulick Report Staff | 03.02.2015 | 3:37pm

Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan has rejoined trainer Charlie LoPresti’s string at Keeneland, and has begun walking under tack, the Daily Racing Form reported Monday.

The 8-year-old gelding has been sidelined since suffering a non-displaced fracture to his right front cannon bone last October. Wise Dan will walk under tack for about three weeks; the exercise was prescribed by Dr. Larry Bramlage in order to put some pressure on the area of the injury and increase blood flow.

LoPresti told the DRF that the fracture line was healed, but there “is one gray area on the outside” that still needs improvement if the gelding is to resume training. Wise Dan’s condition will be re-evaluated by Bramlage around April 1.

In a perfect world, you might see this horse midsummer,” LoPresti said. “The biggest thing Mr. Fink and I want for him – whether he runs again or not – is that he heals 100 percent or 95 percent to where maybe he could be a lead pony someday. Obviously, the goal is to get him back, but we’re not going to risk hurting him to prove a point.”

Sounds good.
    But then there's this story right under the first one:

Champions Wise Dan, Main Sequence Top Early Noms To Woodford Reserve Turf Classic
    by Press Release | 03.02.2015 | 12:58pm

Defending winner and two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan and 2015 Eclipse Award turf champion Main Sequence are the brightest lights among 74 older grass stars on the roster of early nominations to compete in the 29th running of the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (Grade I) at Churchill Downs Racetrack on Kentucky Derby Day, May 2.

Should Mort Fink’s homebred Wise Dan be entered in this year’s renewal of the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic, he would seek an unprecedented third straight victory – and a record third win overall – in the 1 1/8-mile grass race for 4-year-olds and up that has become one of the United States’ most important turf races since its debut in 1987. The Woodford Reserve Turf Classic is positioned each year as the race that immediately precedes the $2 million-guaranteed Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) on the 13-race Derby Day racing program that his year will include seven stakes events.

The Woodford Reserve Turf Classic is scheduled to be televised as part of NBC’s broadcast of the 141st running of the Kentucky Derby.

lots more on paulickreport
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/champions-wise-dan-main-sequence-top-early-noms-to-woodford-reserve-turf-classic/

Guess "mid-summer" comes earlier for Thoroughbreds, just as each of their birthdays do.

• KMMKMM Member
    Not worried about him. He has excellent owners and trainers and has well funded his retirement, and BTW everyone associated with him. :)
  • BUT in two interviews on the same day, we get two different scenarios. 'Course the trainer did say in a perfect world his next start would be mid summer.
    Maybe there is a deadline for nominating for the May race... and nominating is not entering.
  • BUT in two interviews on the same day, we get two different scenarios. 'Course the trainer did say in a perfect world his next start would be mid summer.
    Maybe there is a deadline for nominating for the May race... and nominating is not entering.
    True, dat. Per the nomination form, it's a LOT cheaper if you nominate early: "By subscription of $100 each on or before February 21, 2015 or $1,000 each on or before Wednesday April 8, 2015. A Supplementary Nomination of $15,000 each may be made at the time of entry. $2,500 to pass the entry box; $2,500 additional to start with $500,000 guaranteed." So it makes sense for them to enter him. if they decide not to run him, they're only out $100.
  • Guess it's the same thing with most big prize races.
  • A lot of folks on twitter want Wise Dan retired. Here's one viewpoint.
    http://sdhorserace.com/2015/03/03/wise-dan-retire-him-already/
  • You know, I figure I'm not paying his bills and my name's not on any of his paperwork and I'm not even mucking out his stall, so what I want... or think should be done with him... is of no consequence.
  • You know, I figure I'm not paying his bills and my name's not on any of his paperwork and I'm not even mucking out his stall, so what I want... or think should be done with him... is of no consequence.
    We have established that to be true on this site and elsewhere. Who cares what any of us say? People still voice their opinions and always will.

• I'm not worried about them bringing him back before he's 100%. I'm just curious if Wise Dan still feels the desire to run and race. If he still wants to compete (and of course heals 100%) I see no problem in racing him again. I understand the concern about a breakdown, but his trainer was vigilant with this injury, and I don't think he'll stop being careful. You can tell when a horse is in pain, especially when you work with him everyday. I trust that his trainer can catch an injury early on before it would cause a breakdown.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Wiseman's Ferry, Sire of Wise Dan, Dies
    By Ron Mitchell, The Blood-Horse March 18, 2015
    Wiseman's Ferry, the sire of two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan, died March 17 at Dana Point Farm near Lenhartsville, Pa.
    Dana Point Farm manager Maria Vorhauer said a necropsy is being performed to determine the cause of death of the 16-year-old son of Hennessy.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90752/wisemans-ferry-sire-of-wise-dan-dies#ixzz3UkfV7DFl
  • KMMKMM Member
    Yeah Wise Dan!!!