RIP Street Cry

He will be missed, so sad to hear this.

Comments

• Here is the press release:
    Press release, 17 September 2014

Darley and Godolphin’s leading sire and outstanding Dubai World Cup winner Street Cry dies aged 16
    Street Cry, one of the world’s most successful stallions and a cornerstone of Sheikh Mohammed’s racing and breeding operations for the past 14 years, has been put to sleep at the age of 16 after succumbing to complications relating to a neurological condition.

The runaway winner of the Dubai World Cup and Stephen Foster for Godolphin in 2002 was retired to stand at Darley’s Jonabell Farm in Kentucky in 2003 and has been a headline stallion ever since. His first crop included the incomparable Zenyatta and Street Sense – still the only horse to win both the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and the Kentucky Derby.

Street Cry has made a similar impact in Australia, siring two Caulfield Guineas winners in Long John and Whobegotyou and Emirates Melbourne Cup winner Shocking. In all, Street Cry has sired 15 G1 winners and almost 150 Black type performers worldwide to date.

His legacy as a sire of sires is already well established.Three of his young stallion sons have sired G1 winners.

Sheikh Mohammed’s Bloodstock Advisor John Ferguson said, “Street Cry epitomised everything that Darley and Godolphin aim to achieve – he was bred by Sheikh Mohammed in Ireland, excelled at the very highest level on the racecourse in Dubai and the US, and then became the lynchpin of our stallion operations in both America and Australia. His contribution to the breed has been significant and we have been so fortunate to have him. He will be sorely missed by everyone.”
  • RIP Street Cry. So sad to hear, but they did the right thing for him.
  • So sad to hear about this. RIP, big guy!
  • edited September 2014
    This news concerning Street Cry brings tears! I was concerned this might be the out come from recent news we had gotten from Australia. Street Cry was a stallion that sired top class race horses, and he was one of my personal favorites. He has been taken from us too soon. He gave his colts and fillies speed, great bone, durabliity, and stamina. He was not the "pretty boy" of stallions, but all we need to do is look at Zenyatta and her foals to see his legacy. Like another of my favorite stallions, Pulpit, he will be missed. RIP, dear Street Cry! :'-(
  • Was worried this would happen, still heartbreaking news. RIP Street Cry
  • How terribly sad. Sleep softly wonderful boy and thank you for all the thrills you've given us in your races and your get.
  • RIP Street Cry
    I feared this, but it makes me cry more than I expected. So sad. To me, he was magnificent!
  • So sad.
  • man, I knew he was having problems but was hoping it wouldn't have come to this. So sad.
  • So very heartbreaking to hear. R.I.P. Street Cry ;(
  • RIP Street Cry. Very sad news. His condition didn't sound good from the onset but was really hoping for a different outcome. Big loss to the racing world.
  • Keta posted a BloodHorse article on him and there's a video with it. The spokesman for Darley (I think) said that Street Cry had one very good quality that he passed on to his progeny (and we have heard it also said of Coz), that he was easy to train. Such a sensible horse. It's a quality I truly admire in cats and dogs as well as horses and people. Being sensible. It leads to cooperative behavior and kindness of manner. RIP, Street Cry.
  • my heart jolted at this news, i knew that it was a possibility but i didnt think it would come to actual happen :(
  • OMG is all i can say, and of course RIP
  • He will be missed but his bloodline will flow for decades and continue to contribute to making some of the best racers in the business. Thank God he gave us Zenny!
  • RIP Street Cry. Run free with the champions in heaven. Don't worry about the ones you left behind. They will carry on your legacy.
  • I really would like to see V13. There will only ever be one full sibling to Zenyatta. They didnt' put him in the sale so maybe they like what they have.
  • Well said AmandaF! Hope we see this boy soon, and hoping he has his career here in the US.
  • died way to young
  • I really would like to see V13. There will only ever be one full sibling to Zenyatta. They didnt' put him in the sale so maybe they like what they have.
    I can't wait to find out his name. I sure hope they somehow honor Street Cry with his name.
  • RIP Street Cry. So sad.
  • Shocked and so sad with this unexpected news --- RIP Street Cry. Darley has posted a wonderful video tribute on their website. http://www.darleyatjonabell.com/videos/street-cry Zenyatta, her offspring & Street Sense most certainly ensure a lasting legacy for Street Cry. They epitomize all that was great about him, both as a champion race horse and sire. Solid boned, strong legged, some precocious as two year olds, others who had the durability to race several years ---- sprinters, speed horses and horses that could run any distance and on any surface. A sire, not unlike Princequillo, who breeders will look for in pedigrees for many years.

I am sure we will all be following Z's "Street Cry" brother, V13 --- but Ann & Jerry Moss have a Street Cry yearling. Their "Grand Old Dam", Set Them Free had a 2014 filly foal out of Street Cry. This "Blue Hen" mare is kinda special --- gave them their Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo as well as Tiago, Styler and Stanwyck. Set Them Free (sired by Stop the Music) has a 2011 filly, Rutile out of Medaglia D'oro, 2012 colt, Veneto out of Malibu Moon and now the 2014 unnamed filly out of Street Cry. She has been bred to some of the best --- resides at Millridge Farm & one of her "girl friends" is La Ville Rouge. I think "Street Music" would be a great name for her Street Cry filly --- pays tribute to pedigree sires and Jerry Moss, too!
  • Well that video Tribute had me in tears. So sad.