Bad Horse Abuse Cases, Current

I looked through 15 pages of discussions in the general category and couldn't find any on this topic, so guess I'll start a new one. This is for abuse of horses cases that we can help through contacting officials, signing online petitions, contributing to discussions by commenting here or on special web sites, facebook, etc., or just by praying and sending good thoughts.

Comments

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited September 2014
    The first case I just became aware of through Mea Ola's facebook page. (Mea Ola's Place is where Rowdy lives.) The case became known to the public when a woman in Black Forest, Colorado, had her dog run into a barn and when she went to get the dog out she found close to a dozen dead horses, many under tarps, and most in the skeleton state of decay. She also found living, starving horses on the property. You can start exploring this case -- if you are interested. [I tried to go back to add in the introductory post that if you don't want to think about or deal with these sorts of cases, don't read this thread, but there's no edit button on the first post, I guess.]

Here's the entry from Mea Ola:

>>>>>
    I do not share this kind of thing often, as most of us know these things are going on all around us every day. However, Dual Peppy's former owner wants him back, and I cannot imagine what he must feel like after seeing him in this condition. This page contains some graphic images and stories of Cutting Horse CHAMPION money earners that have starved to death and it is a movement to save Peppy (and others) before it is too late.(It goes to show that breeding, bloodlines, show careers, race careers, and money makers are NOT exempt from cruelty and starvation) Please share....
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=961846387164549
    <<<<<
  • @VA_in_CA does this apply to horses or all animals?
    edited September 2014
    Here is the facebook page that was started to get support for Dual Peppy and the other horses. It is fascinating reading. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Dual-Peppy/961846387164549

In summary, it turns out that the owner of these poor horses was or is active in the local county government. Hmm. Makes for a "delicate" case. {Should NOT!!!} My comment. Someone commented that the person who found this situation should not have fed and watered the horses because when the sheriff went there, "the horses were in no immediate danger," so nothing could be done.

The initial discovery of the situation was Friday, Sep 19. The story made the aol headlines, and will probably make national news tonight. It's spreading worldwide now. Public pressure may help rescue those horses. I hope.
    edited September 2014
    @VA_in_CA does this apply to horses or all animals?
    Well, this is a horse-related Forum (CC21's recent dog thread notwithstanding), but I suppose I should have put Equine in the Discussion Title, since we do have donkeys a lot on the Mare Stare Thread. We ought to keep it to equines, however. There are probably other sites for abuse cases for other animals, and for people, too. I know there are a lot of people dedicated to shutting down puppy mills, etc. But for the most part, I think the general public is less aware of horse and livestock abuse. PETA and similar groups try to bring it out of the shadows, but they go a bit overboard. Horse rescue groups also help, but they generally work on a pretty small scale, each individual group.

I'm not so much trying to grind any axes here, just wanted a place to post these kinds of cases where public outcry may help resolve the case favorably, where the hands of the law seem to be tied, for whatever reason, as they seem to be in this case.

• Here is the facebook page that was started to get support for Dual Peppy and the other horses. It is fascinating reading. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Dual-Peppy/961846387164549

In summary, it turns out that the owner of these poor horses was or is active in the local county government. Hmm. Makes for a "delicate" case. {Should NOT!!!} My comment. Someone commented that the person who found this situation should not have fed and watered the horses because when the sheriff went there, "the horses were in no immediate danger," so nothing could be done.

The initial discovery of the situation was Friday, Sep 19. The story made the aol headlines, and will probably make national news tonight. It's spreading worldwide now. Public pressure may help rescue those horses. I hope.
    Have posted this to both Trackside Eyes facebook page and twitter!
  • Thanks, QueenZFan22.
  • Thanks, QueenZFan22.
    No problem. Could you message me more info so i can update people on this issue?
    edited September 2014
    I'll update the discussion thread as I get new info. If you follow the one started by the woman heading up the save Dual Peppy page it keeps pretty current. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Dual-Peppy/961846387164549

I just think it's helpful to let people know that success in the Sport and Performance Horse world is no more protection from abuse than success in the Racing world is. It's so outrageous. Many people have commented on the Justice for Dual Peppy page that they own one of Dual Peppy's offspring and that that colt or filly turned out to be a great success, too.

Mea Ola's Place has a registered Morgan (in addition to Rowdy) who was a winner in almost every pleasure driving class he was in. He is now 21 years old and was saved from slaughter last year. (Ann told me that the next time I go visit Mea Ola's place, she'll take me for a drive behind Merlin, the Morgan. That will be so thrilling.)

Will try to remember to message. I have to go out to the store for food soon. LOL. Got hooked on this issue.
  • Update from Mea Ola's Place:
    >>>>>
    Mea Ola's Place Sheriff's statement on Black Forest horses

UPDATE: All horses will be seized by the Sheriff office. The El Paso County Sheriff's Office has asked the Humane Society to assist them with the Black Forest horses found alongside numerous dead horses.
    Like · Reply · 1 · about an hour ago
    Mea Ola's Place YOU SEE?....sharing and caring make a difference! I am just ecstatic about this!

<<<<<

People power in action. Too bad the situation wasn't discovered sooner before all those others died. Hope they can rehab the survivors. They must be the stong ones.
    edited September 2014
    Forgot to click "Post Comment" for the above when I found it last night. Sorry about that. I do that a lot.

Here is a link to an article with an update put out by the Sheriff's Dept. of the County involved in the seizing of the 10 surviving horses and 4 llamas. Dual Peppy was one of the horses removed. Thank goodness.
    http://www.tsln.com/news/13131126-113/sheriff-horses-office-county
  • this is amazing news!
    edited September 2014
    Yes, it's an amazing story, too. Truly horrible.

In another update, I found a note on the Justice for Dual Peppy facebook page that is really good news. Someone had gone to the FBI about this case when it looked as though the local law enforcement was going to ignore the case and was told that the FBI did not handle animal cases. Well here is the news I found. I don't know how to get the original posting or the end of this post. But this much is very encouraging:

>>>>>
    Chuck Wagon---‎Justice for Dual Peppy
    1 hr ·

Better late than never. Thank you FBI.

FBI adds animal cruelty crimes to national database, helps prosecute locally
    Posted: Sep 23, 2014 7:10 AM CST Updated: Sep 23, 2014 7:10 AM CST
    Posted by Jess Raatz, Reporter - email

VANDERBURGH CO., IN (WFIE) -

For the first time ever, the FBI is now tracking animal cruelty crimes.

Officials say the FBI has now added animal cruelty crimes to their national Uniform Crime Report and it will now be a group "A" offense.

Susan Odoyo, part of the Vanderburgh County Animal Cruelty Task Force, tells us that cruelty to animals is often linked to other crimes involving domestic violence and drugs.

She says now cruelty to animals will no longer be swept under the rug and this is a huge step across the country. This change will only factor in to future crimes against animals, not past ones.

" With this recent announcement by the FBI as well as the formation of our task force, we're hoping to make sure that we're sending a clear message to animal ab
    <<<<<

? end?

From the dates of this it sounds like this new decision may be a result of the big hoopla raised yesterday about the Colorado case. It went worldwide.
  • VA_in_CA, Thanks for starting this thread! And BRAVO that the FBI is doing this.
  • So glad we are getting justice for an often brushed under the rug topic of cruelty to animals!
  • You WILL NOT believe this abuse case. Please, if you can, they need help desperately for this beautiful girl! Oh My God!
    http://horseandman.com/bucket-fund-stories/words-allegedly-cut-genitals-wouldnt-breed-survivor-meet-yanaha-october-bucket-fund-mare/10/01/2014/
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited October 2014
    This story is soo atrocious, I could not read every word in the article. I hope that owner was put in jail for EXTREME inhumane treatment of this poor mare. Unbelievable what he did to her!!! Let him rot in hell!
  • There is one going around on facebook of a foal that was in the pasture with her dam and someone came onto the property and used either an axe or a sling blade and slashed the filly's face and spots on her neck. Her skull was split in half, severed her optic nerve to her right eye and broke her jaw. Amazingly this filly was alive and well when the owner found her, she was a bloody mess of course. They took her to the vet and got her face put back together, they had to remove her eye however. She is doing really well (again, it is quite amazing) and is expected to make a full recovery. Donations are being asked to help with her vet bill. Here is what she looked like when it happened (warning, VERY graphic). And i am going to post updated pics of her after surgery and healing up. Cant believe this horse survived.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10523758_713828125373412_6716725207849312190_o.jpg
  • Thanks, Rachel, I just saw this story, too.

I am just extremely disheartened that there are so many cruel people in the world who do these types of things. I am happy that so many people in both cases are stepping up to help both of these beautiful horses. It's the only thing that gives me faith in the good of humans.
  • What possible motive could the whacko(s) who did this have had? Incredible. Wonder why the mare didn't kill the mutilator. I'd be afraid to put that foal out in the pasture again. There are some pretty weird people out there. Yoicks.
  • The horse who had her genitals cut out by her owner because she wouldn't breed has died.
    RIP Yanaha Hopefully, we can get you some justice!
  • The horse who had her genitals cut out by her owner because she wouldn't breed has died.
    RIP Yanaha Hopefully, we can get you some justice!
    Yes...that owner should be punished severely for what he/she did to Yanaha. This kind of cruelty is beyond comprehension! If not, let their "maker" pass judgement at the end. You know where he/she is going.
  • Such a sad and terrible story. It's a wonder that she survived for 3 and a half weeks in the pasture with no treatment. Sad that she died when she was in safe hands and being treated. She obviously had a will to live, but her treatment at the hands of that horrible owner was just not survivable in the end.

Not wishing to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I've had serious questions about Texas for quite awhile. How is it that this a-----e is not in prison for life??!! He needs to have his a-----e cut out.