The Queen

Well good day everyone, I would just like to say... who is in school here? Don't tell me that you haven't written at least 1 report about her? Please tell me I'm not some weirdo cause nobody new about her but me and then when I gave the report my entire English was just like: Ya is saw that coming... cause all I ever do has something to do with Zen!

Comments

• I'm in school! And I've written several horsey based essays. In high school I had an assignment to write an ABC book about me and my interests. I bet you can guess what I wrote about for letter Z. :)
  • I'm in school! And I've written several horsey based essays. In high school I had an assignment to write an ABC book about me and my interests. I bet you can guess what I wrote about for letter Z. :)
    Zebra??? Nah...just joking. Of Course Zenyatta! :oD
  • Lol Paniolo_Gal! :)
  • Well one year we had to write about in inspirational person so I asked my English teacher if it can be about a horse... and you probably know who I picked!
  • I've mentioned Zenyatta in one of my college essays, but due to the nature of the ones I'm assigned, I can't do a full blown essay on her.
  • I've mentioned Zenyatta in one of my college essays, but due to the nature of the ones I'm assigned, I can't do a full blown essay on her.
    Oh! Well that's wonderful!
  • I wrote a term paper back in high school (late 60's) about the influence of the horse in the settling of the west. Got an A as I recall. Good thing we got to pick our topic!
  • Bet that was fun to research.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited October 2014
    Thought about it before I decided to post this entry...

I remember when I was in elementary school, I was encouraged to submit my artwork in the Sunday newspaper called the Honolulu Star Bulletin so that it could be featured in the Family Section of the newspaper for Youth Artists.

Well, I was about 11 going on 12 years old back then and I submitted a pen and ink drawing of Citation. I spent a month on this drawing. Back then, I didn't have access to expensive technical pens (rapidiographs) so I used a fine pen (crow quill) and dipped it into India ink to do this cross hatching technique. We also had to have our teacher sign the back of the drawing as part of the submittal requirements. My teacher was impressed and willingly signed the back of my drawing.

I waited a couple of weeks...only to receive a letter and the return of my original drawing from the Honolulu Star Bulletin saying that they rejected my pen and ink drawing because they felt an elementary student could NOT have done the drawing. I guess they didn't know I started drawing when I was 3-4 years old so I got a chance to develop my skills for awhile. I was really disappointed...didn't help my self esteem at the time...it was a bad year as I recall because 3 months later, my dad died rather suddenly. That's why I hold this drawing dear to my heart. Life can be rough...I found that out early.

This was the drawing that the newspaper rejected. The original is much larger, done on a 12x18 sheet of bristol paper.
  • Paniolo_Gal, I'm so glad you shared this drawing! This is simply beautiful and it makes me want to cry for the little girl who was hurt by a rejection from grownups who should have known better. Many young people have excellent painting and drawing skills and I would have believed 100% that you did this even though it is so stunning.

I'm sorry you had such a bad year and that you had to learn so early how unfair life can be. It should never have happened, but I'm glad you can hold it dear and appreciate it. It really is beautiful.
  • Pepper9873Pepper9873 Member
    edited October 2014
    Thought about it before I decided to post this entry...

I remember when I was in elementary school, I was encouraged to submit my artwork in the Sunday newspaper called the Star Bulletin so that it could be featured in the Family Section of the newspaper for Youth Artists.

Well, I was about 11 going on 12 years old back then and I submitted a pen and ink drawing of Citation. I spent a month on this drawing. Back then, I didn't have access to expensive technical pens (rapidiographs) so I used a fine pen (crow quill) and dipped it into India ink to do this cross hatching technique. We also had to have our teacher sign the back of the drawing as part of the submittal requirements. My teacher was impressed and willingly signed the back of my drawing.

I waited a couple of weeks...only to receive a letter and the return of my original drawing from the Star Bulletin saying that they rejected my pen and ink drawing because they felt an elementary student could NOT have done the drawing. I guess they didn't know I started drawing when I was 3-4 years old so I got a chance to develop my skills for awhile. I was really disappointed...didn't help my self esteem at the time...it was a bad year as I recall because 3 months later, my dad died rather suddenly. That's why I hold this drawing dear to my heart. Life can be rough...I found that out early.

This was the drawing that the newspaper rejected. The original is much larger, done on a 12x18 sheet of bristol paper.
    That drawing is absolutely beautiful.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited October 2014
    You are so very talented....those judges should be ashamed of themselves...good grief your teacher vouched for you
  • Stunningly beautiful Paniolo_Gal! You have a gift!
    edited October 2014
    Thank you louisecastello, Pepper9873, carolinakansas and Horselover24! Yes, it was a difficult time of my life. But it did make me stronger (mentally at least) and as a result I took studying more seriously in school.

LOL! Shortly after the editor's reject... What I did next to spite Star Bulletin...I made a quick "Sumie" (Japanese brushwork) painting of a horse which I felt was more "believable" for a 12 year old for these judgmental newspaper editors. And...this quick painting was indeed published in the newspaper. But frankly, the sumie painting wasn't my best work. :oP
  • Good for you! You still ended up on top! :)
  • Outstanding drawing!! Judging art is so subjective, but not believing you could have done it just makes it worse! Did you mean to post your sumi e painting? I don't see it.
    edited October 2014
    Outstanding drawing!! Judging art is so subjective, but not believing you could have done it just makes it worse! Did you mean to post your sumi e painting? I don't see it.
    No...The Honolulu Star Bulletin I believe, kept the original Sumie painting of the horse. I guess I could have asked for it back...but I had other more important things going on in my life at the time. However, I did get a newspaper clipping from the publication. It's stored somewhere with my childhood art in my storage locker. :o(

Perhaps...it was better they rejected my Citation drawing after all. Since I now have the original. God knows where that sumie painting is now as Honolulu Star Bulletin is no longer in existence. It merged with The Advertiser and is now called The Star*Advertiser.
  • Hahaha, The Advertiser/cum Star Advertiser got the last laugh. Some adult should have gone with you to the newspaper and let you demonstrate for the judges that you were indeed capable of such work. Cheeesh. Actually they really praised you highly, if you think about it, saying your work was as good as that of a more mature person. It's really quite wonderful.

Sorry you lost your father when you were so young. I'm sure he was proud of you and he would have been even more proud if he had lived to see you succeed in the art world. Did you get your talent from him, or your mother, or both?
  • By the way, PG, stop talking about getting old. You say you were going on 12 in 1965, well I was going on 26 that year, now that makes me old. You're just a youth. LOL All things are relative, I guess. I don't feel any different inside, but I can't do the things I used to think nothing of doing. Now I have trouble going up a flight of stairs and going down is hard too. Back in my 20s, I went up the stairs (and down) all the way to the top of the Washington Monument. Sigh.
    edited October 2014
    Sorry VA_in_CA...was caught up with the Cigar updates and researching Cellulitis, etc. Missed your earlier postings.

Regarding doing an exhibition for the editors to show that I indeed did the work:
    Nah...my family didn't want to make a big issue about the rejection of my drawing of Citation, but encouraged me to try again in a different medium that was less tedious to do...therefore more believable for a kid. :oP At the time, I thought it was a good idea as well. :oD

Did you get your talent from your father, or your mother, or both?
    I guess I got my art talent from my mother. She took casual art classes...but she enjoyed doing floral arranging instead. My sister and my brother had art skills as well...but pursued other fields of profession. I was glad that when growing up, my parents encouraged me in art and provided me with summer classes for children at the Honolulu Academy of Arts. The academy once brought over a pinto shetland pony for us to draw out in the grass area of the academy! I was fortunate that my parents provided me with all sorts of art medium like oil paints, acrylics, water colors, pastels, charcoal, etc. for me to experiment with.

LOL! I was told that when I was really, really young (3 years), I started drawing images out of the wood grains from the T&G redwood walls of our house if I got my hands on a pencil or worse...a pen. That was when my mom got wise and gave me paper to draw on instead. :oD
  • LOL. Kids determined to be creative can get pretty creative about how they do it. Using wood grains to draw images is pretty unusual.
  • LOL. Kids determined to be creative can get pretty creative about how they do it. Using wood grains to draw images is pretty unusual.
    You'd be surprised at what you can "see" looking at woodgrains. I guess it's similar to looking at cloud formations and visualizing all sorts of imaginary animals, etc from these shapes. I drew on the walls because for me it was a spontaneous thing to do at the time with no paper. I could "see" tigers, dragons, etc looking at the wood grains. You know how kids are when they use crayons to scratch up the walls...but my parents said that my linework made sense...it wasn't random scribbles. When I visit my mom's old house, I can still see some of these drawings I made when I was really young! :oP
    edited October 2014
    Hi SallyT! I checked my mental rolodex...and it dawned on me that you teach art in the middle to high school level...Yes?

I think I remember it was you who mentioned it in another post awhile back...that drawing upside down helps one to use the opposite side of the brain and see their drawings in a "different" perspective which enables us to see proportion/balance, negative space issues better. I sort of do a similar technique by looking at a drawing "backwards" in a mirror and with this aid, I could see correction issues much faster. Or, I would lay my drawing aside for awhile...this way I could see it with "fresh" eyes. Sometimes working on a drawing, we become too immersed and we lose our ability to look at the work objectively. Sort of like someone not seeing you for awhile and mentioning that you've lost weight...while others in your household can't see the change.

LOL! When working at an architectural firm, we often had to draw our plans/concepts renderings upside down for clients so they could see the image right side up as we sketched. It was a more spontaneous way to get our "ideas" across and get client feedback faster. It also allowed the clients to get involved in the design as well which helped develop a rapport with them.
  • Paniolo_Gal, that's a great story and a beautiful drawing. Thank you so much for sharing.
    edited October 2014
    Thank you Especially_Horses. Sorry I didn't see your earlier posting. I'm currently working on a Tribute to Cigar in Golden Girls and just came up for air just now.

I was initially hesitant to post my elementary school story...was thinking I may reveal too much of a bad personal incident as a child. Glad the Forum Family embraced this past experience positively. :oD