Equines In Costumes! Your Horse's Alter Ego...

Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
edited October 2014 in Community & Creativity
In celebration of Halloween and other Costume Themed Festivities...What are you and your horse planning to dress up as?

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited October 2014
    This is an amazing performance of a Lion Tamer and a "Ferocious" Lion!

Video from www.horsecarecourses.com
  • Oh Halloween!

My barn used to do a Halloween costume party for a few years, and attendance was always really great. We usually held it the week before Halloween and would potluck, and do games and such in costume. But lately the turnout dropped off, and about two years ago, it was just me .. so ... last year we didn't have anything. I did have someone ask me if we were doing it again this year, but I didn't get enough commitments.

Anyways, costumes!

The golden one has been ....

... a unicorn!

... a destrier for a lady knight

.. the world's most unlikely race horse (Jockey's too big, horse is too small ... do we even have a chance?)

Jet got in on the act too

Sauron sent out us to look for the One Ring, but we crashed your party instead.

Stand and deliver ... your candy or your life!

My horses are such good sports to put up with my shenanigans. If I didn't think it'd freak all the other horses out, I'd finish Jet's driving training, train them as a pair and somehow get a chariot and go for the Egyptian theme. Maybe that can be a costume plan for a few years from now, if we ever get enough interest in the costume thing together again.
  • Looove the shadow roll!
  • He's a loooooong suffering pony. I probably shouldn't show off the pictures of him in the cart at Christmastime. He had on the reindeer antler hat and the Santa halter fuzzies.

Thankfully, he's so tolerant about things. It's the Haflinger way. My TB on the other hand would have said NO HALE NO! and put the smackdown on me.
  • Hayflinger, I didn't realize you had Haflinger horse(s). That makes your Forum handle even better. I love it!
  • Oh, my, a Haflinger - yesterday I saw the horse of my recent dreams - a 13.8 hands, six-year-old, Haflinger gelding. He's perfect but now to negotiate his price. Wish me luck!
  • 13.8 is uh.... not a measurement. Y'sure he isn't 13.3 or somewhere in the 14 hand range, because it goes 4 inches to a hand. There's 13.3 and then it goes up to 14, 14.1, 14.2 and 14.3.

Haflingers, depending on breeding and area are usually pretty inexpensive these days. I got Mitch as a 9 year old, rides and drives for $2,500. But that's also because they're not common in our area and he wasn't working out at the therapeutic riding center. He's got decent breeding, but too much pangare to have classified high enough not to geld him.
  • My mistake, this was my first meeting with what I was told was a Haflinger, he could be shorter. Do you raise Haflingers? This fella had palomino coloring, stocky body, white socks, and pale belly, that's about it - I didn't take a picture (should have). Spent an hour on a trail and he was a perfect gentleman. Some years ago I had a Welch cross that seemed about the same size. Being 5'6" and 101 pounds and not having the youthful fearlessness on a horse, I am looking for a small, quiet horse to trail ride and he seemed to fit the bill. :-)
  • Well, I wouldn't doubt he was a Haffie. Sure sounds like one based off your description, did he want to crawl into your pocket if you offered him food? (If so, I'd guarantee it was a Haffie ... they are so motivated by the nom noms)
  • Go for it, bigherbie. According to my book, Haflingers were created by the Ostrogoths in the 6th century by crossing Arabians with Alpine ponies. "They are always chestnut, ranging from rich gold to chocolate, with flaxen to white mane and tail.' They are "attractive, sturdy, small, exceptionally long-lived horses with an excellent disposition; rhythmic, ground-covering gaits." Their height is 13 to 15 hands. "Solid, yet elegant and refined." Quoted from Horse Breeds of North America; text by Judith Dutson.
  • Unfortunately, I didn't offer him food but he did nibble my hair and ear ... sure way into my heart. I felt so comfortable, short horse, not far from the ground, perfect gentleman, we shall see. Hubby says we need to talk tomorrow ... :-)
  • Sounds like a Haffie then. I like riding low to the ground these days, but he's got a big way of going so it's all fun.

You should ask if he drives? Just you know, for the future. ;)

I love my M-line boy, but I think someday in the future, I want to get an N-line or A-line bred Haflinger, possibly a mare (or gelding, no real preference) The M-lines aren't really drafty or anything like the B-line is, but I got to ride an N-line gelding in Kentucky and they are incredibly refined and well built.
  • How is their trot? Smooth, or bouncy?
  • I'd say quite smooth although I tend to post from habit.

And now, I guess I do need to consider a Halloween costume. Seems that people at the barn are interested in some kind of get together. Hmmmmm....
  • I love the lion suit idea. Very clever on a miniature horse. Not sure how it would work on a full-sized horse.
  • i hear they are quite comfy to ride because they are quite padded LOL my aunt had 2 Haflingers
    edited October 2014
    And now, I guess I do need to consider a Halloween costume. Seems that people at the barn are interested in some kind of get together. Hmmmmm....
    Love your costumes from previous Halloweens! Great creativity!
    Perhaps, the pangere coat color of your Haflinger, Mitch could be stylized into a baby giraffe with a young safari rider on board? And your black (Jet) could go as a zebra with you also as a safari rider as well...or Jet could be the zebra...Stripes in Racing Stripes and you as jockey...Hayden Panettiere? Altho' I know you did a jockey before. idk...just trying to help. I know Jet is rather fussy about dressing up...just tell him he's getting braided for a horseshow...only painted stripes and braiding needed to become a zebra. :oD

Here are some inspiration ideas from photos I've located for transforming a horse into a giraffe:

Discovering giraffes on horseback in Botswana
    Photo by Annie Yeager from www.eventingnation.com

Safari Rider
    From www.horsecarecourses.com

Braiding techniques to convert a horse into a giraffe!

Photos above by Janine from enzo-janine.blogspot on Focus equine.com
    edited October 2014
    Here's photo examples of a dark colored horse done up as a zebra...and photos of Hayden Panettiere in Racing Stripes. :oD

Dark colored horse painted as a zebra
    Photo by LuckyPony.com from Pinterest

Hayden Panettiere in Racing Stripes
    imageImage from Meselandia.hu

imageImage from www.democraticunderground.com
    edited October 2014
    Hi TheGoldenHayflinger...Here's another idea since you are considering an Egyptian theme... For you and Jet, how about another famous horse and rider team...from another B.C. Macedonian time era:
    Alexander the Great with his beloved horse Buchephalus! I think Buchephalus was a black horse with a star on his forehead! Since Jet is not inclined to accept too much make-up, this might be a good compromise as only a star on his forehead is needed.
    Photo by Brigida Soriano from kids.britannica.com

Here's a link of a detailed porcelain sculpture which shows a 360-degree set of colored photos that might give you inspiration for your costume:
    http://www.statuemarvels.com/f191/alexander-great-1-4-scale-statue-arh-studios-collectibles-28557.html

Here's a photo from the 2004 movie: "Alexander" starring Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie...directed by Oliver Stone:
    imagePhoto from www.andsoitbeginsfilms.com
  • He's a loooooong suffering pony. I probably shouldn't show off the pictures of him in the cart at Christmastime. He had on the reindeer antler hat and the Santa halter fuzzies.
    Oh, do!!

How about going as a Pa'u rider? Remember the beautiful pictures of the riders that Paniolo Gal showed us a while back? Gorgeous. You could fake the culottes rather than trying to wrap them in the traditional manner, and you could use silk flowers to make the lei, headdress, and to ornament your tack. You wouldn't have to paint the horse, so maybe Jet would put up with it.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited October 2014
    You could easily make the outfit for Alexander the Great, as shown in the statue, but you can't fake the hunk inside the costume. Wow. That is some hunky guy. Wonder if it was the sculptor's imagination or if he had a model. Would like to meet the model. Hahaha Thanks for posting the link, PG. It's repeated below.

http://www.statuemarvels.com/f191/alexander-great-1-4-scale-statue-arh-studios-collectibles-28557.html
  • Beau, the Haflinger, has been put on hold for 72 hours (mutual agreement) for further discussion of pros and cons - I have pros, hubby has cons (I think that's why he made blueberry pancakes for breakfast). :-)
  • Beau, the Haflinger, has been put on hold for 72 hours (mutual agreement) for further discussion of pros and cons - I have pros, hubby has cons (I think that's why he made blueberry pancakes for breakfast). :-)
    Smart hubby!

edited October 2014
    How about going as a Pa'u rider? Remember the beautiful pictures of the riders that Paniolo Gal showed us a while back? Gorgeous. You could fake the culottes rather than trying to wrap them in the traditional manner, and you could use silk flowers to make the lei, headdress, and to ornament your tack. You wouldn't have to paint the horse, so maybe Jet would put up with it.
    :oD Here's that earlier set of postings showing various Pa'u Riders during a Kamehameha Day Parade...scroll down midway on the page to find the images...there is another posting further down that shows how they assemble the attire using kukui nuts (no pins, buttons or zippers) to secure the continuous length of fabric:
    http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions#/discussion/comment/67310<blockquote
    edited October 2014
    MORE KAMEHAMEHA DAY PARADE PA'U RIDERS FOR INSPIRATION...
    Here's some more photos I took while attending a past Kam Day Parade. Please note that each Pa'u Princess is wearing the "colors" and "flowers" that represent each island. The Kam Day Queen wears an all white tiara and outfit, while each Island Pa'u Princess wears a floral tiara using her island's flowers with an outfit of solid colors consisting of a satin skirt draped almost touching the ground and a cape made of velvet. Her Pa'u Attendants wear a more informal hat or flowers in the hair with a printed draped skirt and a less luxurious fabric cape.

Pa'u Princess representing the Island of Kahoolawe

Pa'u Princess representing the Island of Lanai

Close-up of a Pa'u Attendant representing the Island of Maui

Pa'u Princess representing the Island of Molokini

Pa'u Attendant representing the Island of Molokini

Pa'u Attendant representing the Island of Nihoa

The Kam Day Queen