Remembering Our "Old Friends"

There is currently no thread for horses of either gender who died of old age and/or natural causes including mares that do not have outstanding progeny as those in Golden Girls.
     This thread was created for these wonderful "Old Friends" who are well known in the field they performed in. This thread can also be for former racehorses who had less than stellar earnings or unraced mares as well as Nationally or Internationally acclaimed horses of other breeds. Career earnings are not required for a submittal. However, a photo of the horse must be included in the submittal. The photo must be obtained by using an image hosting site to avoid hotlinking. AND photo credits and source must be listed directly under each photo.

NOTE: For those that do not follow the listed rules, a request to have your posting entry removed from this thread may be implemented.

The format is similar to "In Memorium"
HORSE'S NAME:
Date born/Date Died: born date-died date (age at time of death)
Description: Gender, coat color, breed of horse, etc.
Pedigree: sire (date) x dam (date) by damsire (date)
Background: Any interesting facts about the horse.

Photo of Horse
Photo credits/source directly under each photo

The following will be the first entry to be used as an example...

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited October 2014
    ROCKHILL NATIVE
    Born/Died: 3/26/1977-3/19/2009 (age 32)
    Pedigree: Our Native (1970) x Beanery (1967) by Cavan-GB (1955)
    Description: Chestnut Gelding Thoroughbred
    Background: Race earnings: $465,122 (17 starts: 10 wins, 2 places, 3 shows). He was a 1979 champion 2-year old male. He won the Everglades Stakes, the Jefferson Cup, the Futurity Stakes, the Blue Grass Stakes among other wins. He also came in third in the 1980 Belmont Stakes. Rockhill Native was born with badly contracted tendons. He is featured in Barbara Livingston's book: "Old Friends". From March, 2007, he resided at Sycamore Farm in Versailles Kentucky until his death. Rockhill Native was euthanized at age 32 due to old age. He is buried near his dam, Beanery at Winter Quarter along with his former buddy: For The Flag who died the same year in February 2009.
    Related article from Bloodhorse.com
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49742/champion-rockhill-native-dead

Rockhill Native (Number 5 on far right) racing at his peak
    imageFrom Sport Horse Data

Rockhill Native at age 30 with Bill Thomas at Sycamore Farm
    imagePhoto by Anne M. Eberhardt
    imagePhoto by Anne M. Eberhardt
    Stats from Pedigree Query
    edited October 2014
         I read in In Memorium that there appears to be confusion on what threads need photos posted as part of the requirements. Basically, this particular thread is an off-shoot of In Memorium since there was no thread for famed horses of various breeds (not only thoroughbreds) that died as a result of old age/natural causes (race earnings not required). Just as In Memorium, this requires a photo to be posted just like Golden Girls. There is another overlooked thread that also needs personal photos of your own horses or horses dear to you entitled: "Personal Photos Of My Beloved Horses Past & Present" as well as "Horse Actors From The Big and Small Screen" .
          VA_in_CA is correct. These threads were created as a "learning" challenge for forum members to try to post direct images using the proper image hosting sites...just something new to learn and grow in this forum. This thread was in no way meant to snub those that do not currently know how to post direct photos! Please note the unethical "hotlinking" of direct posted images and photo credit is an overall Zenyatta Forum restriction in all threads...not created by those that started these threads that require photos. Remember Casey's example of a lawsuit that resulted from music being illegally downloaded (can't recall the forum name right now). We want to keep this Forum from suffering from any unethical issues that could bring this forum down.

Here's a learning challenge to post photos & information on these horses that lived a full life or others that you know of:
    *John Henry (Racehorse-Thoroughbred)
    *Snowman (Show Jumper-mixed breed)
    *Storm Cat (Racehorse-Thoroughbred)
    *Quidam de Revel (Show Jumper-Selle Francais)
    *Shayne (Irish Draught)

If you want to take on this learning challenge...Here's the link on "How To Post Pictures Using Tinypic": :oD
    http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions#/discussion/312/posting-a-picture
  • edited October 2014
    If you don't mind @Paniolo_Gal I would love to do Storm Cat if that is alright with you
    edited October 2014
    If you don't mind @Paniolo_Gal I would love to do Storm Cat if that is alright with you
    Sure...but be sure you follow the above format when posting the horse's information...we need to keep some consistency. Glad you learned how to post images correctly using tinypic.
  • edited October 2014

Sure...
    but be sure you follow the above format when posting the horse's information...we need to keep some consistency. Glad you learned how to post images correctly using tinypic.
    okay thank you I am looking for some others as well so hopefully I can do some more since I now know how to do it. And I will have to post it later cause I WAS being serious about my computer not letting me get on tinypic.com but I don't think I explained fully it is a school computer so I can't always get some websites so hopefully you understand that. But I will post the picture of him and all of the information about him when I get home which will be at 12:30 cause I leave school early for an internship but that isn't until 1:30 so I go home and eat lunch and then I go to my internship so I will have time to post it at that time
    edited October 2014
    btw...for those that don't want to take on the challenge of direct posting of images of the horse using tinypic or any other image hosting site, you can just list the name of the horse that falls under this category. Perhaps others who feel like learning to post a picture...or those that already know how can provide the required information on your behalf.

But the more forum members that can post images using the acceptable forum method...the merrier. We all like to share and learn! :oD

Our objective is to create a cohesive picture reference book of these wonderful Old Friends!
  • I am going to post the information about Storm Cat
  • edited October 2014
    Storm Cat
    Born/Died: 2/27/1983-4/24/2013 (30 years old)
    Pedigree: Storm Bird (1978) X Terlingua (1976) by Secretariat (1970)
    Description: Dark bay/Brown Stallion Thoroughbred
    Background: Racing earnings $570,610, (8 starts-4 wins-3 places-0 shows), Perennial leading sire in N. America, including 2000 and 2001. Stud fee of $500,000 was the highest advertised worldwide, won the Young America Stakes (1985), and another interesting fact is that peppermints were Storm's favorite treats, his best progeny include Aljabr (1996), Bluegrass Cat (2003), Cat Thief (1996), Giant's Causeway (1997), Hennessy (1993), Hold That Tiger (2000), Life Is Sweet (2005), One Cool Cat (2001), Storm Flag Flying (2000), Tabasco Cat (1991)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://thestallionbarn.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/storm-cat8.jpg
    Here is another picture of the beautiful Storm Cat
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://www.drf.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/slideshow_photo/photos/01-Storm Cat01.6-22-12.BL_.jpg
    I couldn't help myself but I love this picture of Storm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://www.racingwrite.com/im/002/03/00stormcat31.jpg

Here is a cute video that I found of Storm Cat romping around in his paddock in 2006 he is looking like he is having so much fun
  • Great posting CC1121! Only minor tweeking needed. Could you notate the photo credit just below the first photo of Storm Cat. We'd also appreciate the age he was when he died right after the born/died dates on the second line in (parentheses). The subheadings like Born/Died, Pedigree, Description and Background are underscored.

Overall a great entry into this thread. Great photos of Storm Cat. Thanks!
  • Great posting CC1121! Only minor tweeking needed. Could you notate the photo credit just below the first photo of Storm Cat. We'd also appreciate the age he was when he died right after the born/died dates on the second line in (parentheses). The subheadings like Born/Died, Pedigree, Description and Background are underscored.

Overall a great entry into this thread. Great photos of Storm Cat. Thanks!
    what should I put for the picture credit the url were I got the pictures? oh Yeah I will do fix those things real quick Storm Cat was one of my favorite stallions
  • You can provide a link but it's okay to just say under the first photo:
    Photo from "name of website".
  • You can provide a link but it's okay to just say under the first photo:
    Photo from "name of website".
    oh okay well I put the link

• Here's a hint to bring the link or the photo credits closer up to the photo:
    Go back to the edit mode and just remove the space between the code of the image and the image source link you just input. That way it will read like it is for the photo above and not the photo below.

I know it's a drag but the turquoise statement "this image has been resized..." pushes the photo credit further down from the photo. I have to do it all the time.
  • Okay thank you so much Paniolo_Gal.
  • edited October 2014
    I found this video of Storm Cat it is him in his paddock I mean it isn't a long video its just him having fun in his paddock and I thought it would be fun to share he looked so happy in the video.
    But i can't figure out how to put the video from youtube on the post I only have the link
    edited October 2014
    Since you have Storm Cat already listed above. You can edit and put just the link of him in his paddock in the original post...that way your video entry will be all together.
  • Since you have Storm Cat already listed above. You can edit and put just the link of him in his paddock in the original post...that way your video entry will be all together.
    Thank you so much

• CC1121- I am going to be out all this afternoon. Perhaps you can research and input using the posting format for these horses in the meantime:
    *Shayne (Irish Draught)
  • CC1121- I am going to be out all this afternoon. Perhaps you can research and input using the posting format for these horses in the meantime:
    *Shayne (Irish Draught)
    Yeah I would love to I will find the pictures and information about them for you
  • You can repost Seattle Slew that is currently in In Memorium and how about the Great Man O'War and the legendary Exterminator (Old Bones). Lots of horses to post in this thread...you will be busy indeed.
  • Oh btw CC1121 I forgot to mention this. In the background section (as in Storm Cat). No need to bold face the entire paragraph. Just a few key information like the race earnings. This way it's easier to read.
  • edited October 2014
    John Henry
    Born/Died: March 9, 1975- October 8, 2007 (32 years old)
    Pedigree: Ole Bob Bowers (1963) X Once Double (1967) by Double Jay (1944)
    Description: Brown gelding Thoroughbred
    Background: Race earnings $6,591,860 (83 starts-39 wins-15 places-9 shows), named after the folk hero John Henry, won the Hialeah Turf Cup Handicap, San Gabriel Handicap, Oak Tree Turf Championship (won three times in a row) Hollywood Invitational Handicap (won three times), San Luis Rey handicap, Santa Anita Handicap, Arlington Million, Jockey Club Gold Cup, Turf Classic Invitational, and Sunset Handicap. He was the Champion Older Male Horse in 1981, the Champion Turf horse in 1980-1984, Horse Of The Year in 1981 & 1984. He was inducted into the Hall Of Fame in 1990 and ranked #23 in a list of top 100 U.S. Racehorses of the 20th Century
    John Henry
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://www.barntowire.com/Gallery/John_Henry_early_Aug_07_by_Steve_Faust2.jpg
    Here is another picture of John Henry at the Kentucky Horse Park
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/John_Henry_Horse.JPG
    Here is a picture of John Henry racing
    Image and video hosting by TinyPichttp://c482944.r44.cf2.rackcdn.com/john_henry_sword_dancer_orig.jpg

• You can repost Seattle Slew that is currently in In Memorium and how about the Great Man O'War and the legendary Exterminator (Old Bones). Lots of horses to post in this thread...you will be busy indeed.
    Okay I will get some of them done tonight and then finish the rest tomorrow before my practice tomorrow don't worry I will get it done
    edited October 2014
    OK! Great posting of John Henry! For the missing pedigree sire/dam dates of birth, etc. best easy reference is Pedigree Query...it has all that info/stats. For non thoroughbreds best reference is Allbreed Pedigree Query

If anyone else in the forum knows of an Old Friend to post...don't hesitate to list the name(s) as well. Doesn't have to be a racehorse...it can be a horse from another breed or sport that lived a full life.
  • Snowman
    Born/Died: 1949-1974 (26 years old)
    Description: grey gelding Mix Breed
    Background: Former plow horse purchased on his way to the "meat market" who became a champion in show jumping in the United States during the 1950s, was heading towards the slaughter horse at 8 years old, purchased for $80. His career lasted five years. He willingly jumped over other horses,[1] and his calm disposition made him a favorite: he once won a leadline class and an open jumper championship on the same day. He is the subject of two books, had his own fan club, and was flown abroad for "guest appearances." Snowman got into the Show Jumping Hall of Fame in 1992. In 2005, Snowman has been made into a Breyer horse model on the Gem Twist mold, which is no longer manufactured. In 2013, Snowman was again introduced in the Breyer line on the Idocus mold. The 2013 model box reads "Snowman- Show Jumping Hall of Famer". (I have his newer Breyer)
    Snowman
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2012/14/83453147_132668799949.jpg
    Picture of Snowman jumping
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-udWTIhL3YnI/T75-TjskA_I/AAAAAAAAC6E/gT6z0sLv-4s/s640/snowman-jumping.jpg