Mike Smith

Comments

• my heart shot to my to throat when i seen how fast he got out of that gate, that horse has no problem getting out of the gate lol
  • MENTOR CANE TWEETS
    Steve Andersen‏ DRF In the 1st, Mentor Cane (even-money favorite) set a fast pace and finished 3rd. He came through the gate before the start

A.P. Indy‏ tweet The mercurial Mentor Cane is still goin through his terrible twos.
    His behavior was russdiculous

Larry Zap‏ tweet The clockers really loved Mentor Cane because Of his speed
    ...he doesn't have build or mentality to route...really lost it at the gate.
    Donald Harris‏@ClockerDH tweet
    @larryzapeye I liked him b/c of his athleticism. Never got rank in team drills.
    Never acted like a runoff speed type. Majorly disappointed
  • MENTOR CANE RACE REPLAY VIDEO Link to The Blood-Horse
    Race 1 Santa Anita Park
    Purse: $56,000
    Date: December 29, 2012
    Distance: 1 mile
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2012/12/29/1/race-1#ixzz2GVmZ4E1o
  • BC Star Mizdirection Back to Defend Monrovia
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse Updated: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:47 PM
    Mizdirection, one of the stars of the 2012 Breeders' Cup with her surprising come-from-behind triumph over males in the Turf Sprint (gr. IT), returns to defend her title in the $150,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) Jan. 6 at Santa Anita Park.
    The 5-year-old daughter of Mizzen Mast is back on the hillside turf course where she posted a half-length victory over Unbridled's Note in the BC Turf Sprint Nov. 3. Trained by Mike Puype for sports radio personality Jim Rome's Jungle Racing and partners, Mizdirection is three-for-three over the about 6 1/2-furlong layout.

Eleventh in the field of 14 after a half-mile in the BC Sprint, Mizdirection rallied five wide into the lane to complete the race in a sizzling time of 1:11.39. The clocking was slightly off the course mark of 1:11.13 established by Lennyfrommalibu in 2004.

Mizdirection is the 123-pound highweight among a field of six older fillies and mares entered in the Monrovia. Mike Smith, who rode the gray/roan filly for the first time in the Breeders' Cup, has the return engagement. They break from the far outside post.

Mizdirection won last year's Monrovia, which was then a grade III race, in off-the-pace fashion by 1 3/4 lengths. The Kentucky-bred has not been out of the money in 12 career starts, compiling a 7-4-1 mark with earnings of $914,621. A victory in the Monrovia, in which she will be heavily favored, would push her over the $1 million mark.

The Monrovia is the eighth race on the Sunday program at Santa Anita with a 4:07 p.m. PST scheduled post.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/75336/bc-star-mizdirection-back-to-defend-monrovia#ixzz2GyDZ1Hdc

• MIZDIRECTION WINS!
    Steve Andersen‏ DRF tweet
    Mizdirection, the winner of the BC Turf Sprint in November, won her comeback in a thrilling running of Sunday’s Monrovia Stakes

Hastings Racecourse tweet
    #Mizdirection !!! All heart getting by Kindle at the wire.
    Probably some tense moments for @jimrome !!
    Nice win in the Monrovia!

Breeders’ Cup‏ tweet
    A winning return to the races for @jimrome’s Mizdirection!
    Congratulations to all the connections! #thebestisyettcome #BC13
    Keta Note: Great ride by Mike. This race had it all: a rainbow, sunshine,
    & a rain shower just before the finish line.
  • Monrovia S. (gr. 2) Mizdirection Win!! You can see the rain in this Replay!
    SANTA ANITA PARK, Arcadia, CA
    Purse: $150,000 Date: January 6, 2013 Class: Grade 2
    Distance: About Six And One Half Furlongs Post Time: 4:07 PM
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2013/1/6/8/monrovia-s-gr-2
  • BH_RaceResults tweet
    Nospeightintended (Speightstown - Lady Gamer) wins a maiden special weight
    at Santa Anita Park
    Race VIDEO
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2013/1/11/3?utm_source=twitter
    Keta Note: Mike Smith ride
  • Larry Zap‏ tweet
    FED BIZ finally gets his Graded Stakes win in Grade 2 San Fernando
    with Mike "Big Money" Smith

Gary Stevens‏@HRTVGary tweet
    For my money. Mike Smith all day long.... If I'm watching
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    It was so fun yesterday- after seeing Paynter, we stayed and shot pics of the races. We got to go into the walking ring with Doug O'Neill's entourage because we like Handsome Mike, but then Mike Smith saw us and had to high five his BFF Madison and of course we wished him luck too. I didn't get a lot of photos of that race (issues with my camera stuff), but we were very happy when Mike Smith's mount Fed Biz won (we were rooting for "the Mikes"). So after the race, we saw Bob Baffert come down and I told Madison to go tell him "Congratulations, Mr. Baffert" She did, and he invited us to the winners circle. We'll get the photo next week
  • Santa Anita: Smith confident Fed Biz can handle Strub's longer distance
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 01/31/2013 3:59PM
    ARCADIA, Calif. – Fed Biz has made quite an impression on Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith since Christmas.
    On Dec. 26, Fed Biz threw a tantrum in the starting gate before the Grade 1 Malibu Stakes and finished sixth. He left Smith with a sizeable bruise on his calf.
    Things went more smoothly in the Grade 2 San Fernando Stakes on Jan. 12, a race Fed Biz won by a head over Tritap. The win has left Fed Biz as the favorite for the $200,000 Strub Stakes for 4-year-olds at Santa Anita on Saturday, and Smith confident that the colt can win the third stakes of his career.
    “He’s a fighter,” Smith said.
    Owned by Kaleem Shah and trained by Bob Baffert, Fed Biz is the likely pacesetter in the 1 1/8-mile Strub. The race is a key prep for the $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap for older horses on March 2.
    http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-smith-confident-fed-biz-can-handle-strubs-longer-distance
  • Bill McCarrick‏@downthestretchs tweet
    Game On Dude starts 2013 with GII San Antonio Stakes run this Sunday
    http://downthestretchs.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/game-on-dude-starts-2013-with-gii-san-antonio-stakes-run-this-sunday/
    $200,000, San Antonio Stakes (GII, Race #7, 2 p.m. PST), 4 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles
    PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, M/L Odds
    1. Clubhouse Ride , A T Gryder, 118, C A Lewis -
    2. Game On Dude M E Smith, 123, B Baffert –
    3. Make Music for Me M Garcia, 118, A Barba –
    4. Chosen Miracle , J Talamo, 118, J Hollendorfer –
    5. Basmati , M Gutierrez, 118, D F O’Neill –

• GAME ON DUDE WINS Santa Anita Park‏ tweets
    HOF jockey #MikeSmith & San Antonio Stakes champion Game On Dude

Congrats to trainer @KristinMulhall for a great win in the last race
    on #SuperBowl Sunday! #SAWinter

• Next stop Big 'Cap for Game On Dude
    The Miami Herald > Sports > Horse Racing Posted on Monday, 02.04.13
    By Sports Network
    Sunday's dominating victory by Game On Dude in the San Antonio Stakes at Santa Anita reestablished the gelding as the leading handicap horse on the West Coast. The 6-year-old's 6 1/2-length win places him squarely as the favorite for the Santa Anita Handicap (Big 'Cap) on March 2.
    "This is an extremely talented horse, he might even be better this year. I've never ridden him last year but I ran against him a few times. The feeling he gave me today was even more so than when I first rode him," said Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith after the San Antonio.
    Trained by Bob Baffert, Game On Dude will be returning to the Big 'Cap after a year's absence. He won the race in 2011, but last year was sent to the Dubai World Cup where he finished a disappointing 12th. The gelding won last year's San Antonio prior to Dubai.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/04/3216493/next-stop-big-cap-for-game-on.html#storylink=cpy
  • Royal Delta Bigger, Stronger for Sabin
    Gulfstream Park News 02/14/2013
    Royal Delta defended her title in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (G1) last November at Santa Anita, but don’t count on history repeating itself at Gulfstream Park in Sunday’s $100,000 Sabin (G3).
    The daughter of Empire Maker followed up her 2011 Ladies’ Classic triumph with a distant second-place finish in her 4-year-old debut last February in the Sabin, finishing eight lengths behind favored Awesome Maria. In the aftermath of Royal Delta’s 2012 Breeders’ Cup score, trainer Bill Mott has seen physical evidence that the 5-year-old champion is ready to offer a better performance this year in the 1 1/16-mile stakes for fillies and mares.
    “She’s stronger than last year. I think the campaign at 4 was easier than the campaign at 3. She beat older mares in the (2011) Breeders’ Cup. I think she was a little tired, a little light (last year),” Mott said. “She’s a bigger, stronger filly this year. I think she’s grown into her frame a bit more.”
    http://www.gulfstreampark.com/racing/race-info/news/royal-delta-bigger-stronger-sabin
    Royal Delta is scheduled to be ridden Sunday by Mike Smith, who won four of five starts since becoming her jockey following last year’s World Cup disappointment
  • Mike Welsch‏ DRF tweet
    No problem coming back in Sabin this year for the champ, Royal Delta,
    cruises to easy win under Mike Smith.
    On to Dubai. #Gulf
  • Bill McCarrick‏ downthestretchs tweet Royal Delta sharp in GIII Sabin Stakes win – Results and Replay
    Here is the article
    Royal Delta sharp in GIII Sabin Stakes win – Results and Replay
    Posted on February 17, 2013
    Royal Delta , made quick work of her 4 other foes with a comfortable win in today’s $100,000, GIII Sabin Stakes, going 1 1/16 mile over the Gulfstream main in a winning time of 1:43.30 in her 2013 season opener!
    http://downthestretchs.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/royal-delta-sharp-in-giii-sabin-stakes-win-results-and-replay/
  • Here is The Blood-Horse Race Replay of the Sabin
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/GP/2013/2/17/10/sabin-s?utm_source=twitter
    The track announcer crowned Royal Delta “The Queen of American Racing”
  • Americas Best Racing‏ tweet
    Mizdirection is the real deal in the #BuenaVista at @santaanitapark,
    winning impressively for owner @JimRome.
    Congratulations! #GetInTheGame
    Keta Note: Gate to wire win with great ride by Mike Smith!
  • Mizdirection & Mike Smith win
    Buena Vista H. (gr. 2) Race Replay
    SANTA ANITA PARK, Arcadia, CA
    Date: February 18, 2013 Purse: $150,000
    Class: Grade 2 Age: 4 yo's & up
    Race: 9 Distance: One Mile
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2013/2/18/9/buena-vista-h?utm_source=twitter
    wow, Mizdirection made it look easy. Mike definitely has a way with the ladies...
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    wow, Mizdirection made it look easy. Mike definitely has a way with the ladies...
    I was thinking the same thing
    Mike really has a big heart. I asked him a couple weeks ago about something that he could give to a little boy battling Leukemia. He was in a hurry, but said "let me think about it". Saw him on Saturday and asked if he had thought of anything. He said he had some pictures or goggles which did I think was better. I told him I had a lot of pictures of him I could send along, so goggles would be pretty cool. He took of a pair right then and there, and then said "if you find a marker, I'll sign them" Then a little boy stopped him to have him sign his program, and Mike yelled over to me "Hey, I've got a marker, bring them over" He's really a nice man.
  • casey
    That is a great Mike story. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know he is as nice as he seems.
    Hugs, Keta
  • Jay Hovdey: Age hasn't diminished competitive fire in Smith, Stevens
    By Jay Hovdey Daily Racing Form 02/20/2013 4:25PM
    Just to recap:
    Bill Shoemaker turned 47 in August 1978. Two months later, he rode Exceller to victory over Seattle Slew in a Jockey Club Gold Cup for the ages.
    On Aug. 26, 1979, one week after celebrating his 48th birthday, Shoemaker climbed aboard Spectacular Bid in an allowance race at Delaware Park. They became inseparable after that, winning 12 of their 13 collaborations over the ensuing 13 months and the title as 1980 Horse of the Year.
    http://www.drf.com/news/jay-hovdey-age-hasnt-diminished-competitive-fire-smith-stevens
    Keta Note: A fun interesting read about the Sunshine Boys: Mike Smith & Gary Stevens
  • Mizdirection wins the Buena Vista Stakes (Gr. II)
    Interviews with Jim Rome, Steve Strauss, Alex Solis, Jr, Mike Puype, Mike Smith