Mike Smith

Comments

• MKernMKern Member
    Good job Mikey and Bodemeister for winning the Arkansas Derby!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2012
    Zayat Stables tweeted
    All we can say is WOW!!! Way to go BODE.
    Thank you to every one who is congratulating us.
    We are so excited
    Ray Paulick DRF tweeted
    Mike Smith: “I don’t even know if I’m going to get to ride (Bodemeister) back, because I was really just kind of filling in
    ESPN says
    Who will ride him is a question. There was a report earlier in the week that Smith had committed to Daddy Nose Best, the Sunland Derby winner, for the Kentucky Derby, but he artfully dodged the subject after the race.
    “I’m just going to enjoy it and we’ll see,” Smith said. “We all know how much things can change this time of year before the Derby.”
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2012/story/_/id/7814285/bodemeister-wins-arkansas-derby
  • Per TVG and Bob Baffert, Mike Smith will now be riding Bodemeister for the Kentucky Derby, Garrett Gomez took the place of Mike on Daddy Nose Best.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2012
    Confirmation on Twitter: Mike Smith riding Bodemeister in Derby
    Bob Baffert tweeted
    Mike Smith riding Bode in Derby
    Claire Novak tweeted:
    Garrett Gomez will ride Daddy Nose Best in KY Derby,
    Mike Smith stays on Bodemeister. Sorry for delayed info, just got off a plane! ;)

Here is the interview with Bob Baffert on HRTV
    http://www.hrtv.com/videos/bob-baffert-exclusive-preview/
  • KetaKeta Member
    Oaklawn Racing & Gaming just posted video on Twitter
    Arkansas Derby
    If you missed Mike Smith & Bodemeister, here is your chance to see it.
    http://t.co/5HddwCqx
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Mikey and Blingo could not be caught today ....great job
  • KetaKeta Member
    Here is a video of Blingo & Mike Smith winning
    The Blood-Horse tweeted
    WATCH REPLAY: RT @BH_RaceResults:
    Blingo (Artie Schiller – Wassifa (GB)) wins the La Puente Stakes
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2012/4/20/7?utm_source=twitter
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Fun day with the Southern California Dumpling gang yesterday at Santa Anita! Got to meet a few of my "invisible Dumpling friends", did the On Track to Beat Cancer for City of Hope after the last race, and then the Dumplings got a "word of mouth" invite to a party celebrating Mike's 5000th. Jane, James and Madison had been invited by Mike the previous week, so we were surprised to hear that "we" were also invited as it was for his fans. Well, we decided we'd go and if we weren't invited, we'd leave quietly. Well as quietly as this bunch of Dumplings can. But, it was at The Derby restaurant; Jane, James and Madison had a change of clothing, none of us did. Then we were told it was actually in a tent behind the Derby, so okay, maybe no one would really notice that we were in jeans, t-shirts, and maybe a wee bit sweaty from the lovely day and the Cancer walk.

We got there, and we see all these people, quite dressed up. 8-0. We waited for the rest of the group to get there, standing in front, and then Mike came up said something like "My Zenyatta group- go on in and have some fun!!!!" So we all did!. Great food, fun conversation- we asked John about Ebby and he had a twinkle in his eye when he spoke of her. Not sure if she'll race soon, but she's coming along nicely according to John. We asked him to keep us informed because we are all planning our schedules around her debut. He said "it'll be exciting!" can't wait!!

Anyway, we took pics and I'm sure they'll show up eventually
  • Fun day with the Southern California Dumpling gang yesterday at Santa Anita! Got to meet a few of my "invisible Dumpling friends", did the On Track to Beat Cancer for City of Hope after the last race, and then the Dumplings got a "word of mouth" invite to a party celebrating Mike's 5000th. Jane, James and Madison had been invited by Mike the previous week, so we were surprised to hear that "we" were also invited as it was for his fans. Well, we decided we'd go and if we weren't invited, we'd leave quietly. Well as quietly as this bunch of Dumplings can. But, it was at The Derby restaurant; Jane, James and Madison had a change of clothing, none of us did. Then we were told it was actually in a tent behind the Derby, so okay, maybe no one would really notice that we were in jeans, t-shirts, and maybe a wee bit sweaty from the lovely day and the Cancer walk.

We got there, and we see all these people, quite dressed up. 8-0. We waited for the rest of the group to get there, standing in front, and then Mike came up said something like "My Zenyatta group- go on in and have some fun!!!!" So we all did!. Great food, fun conversation- we asked John about Ebby and he had a twinkle in his eye when he spoke of her. Not sure if she'll race soon, but she's coming along nicely according to John. We asked him to keep us informed because we are all planning our schedules around her debut. He said "it'll be exciting!" can't wait!!

Anyway, we took pics and I'm sure they'll show up eventually
    Cool Casey. I bet I saw ya there. We were way over at the round table nearest the DJ right before the tables and chairs set up on the back wall. I liked the beef tips, and the rice. That stuff was goood!

Yep, I'm pretty sure I saw you too. Thanks for noticing our little ragtag bunch :) I had on the kelly green Zenyatta shirt.
  • Now I know who you are! I was the one wearing the black Zenyatta tee with the pink and teal. You gals gave me one (or two) of those tickets that Mark Verge gave you for the fedoras.
    :) I started the party wearing my fedora, but switched to my MIke Smith autographed 5000 ball cap. When I realized Mike was donating the proceeds from the sale of the hats to the permanently disabled jockey fund, I went through all my pockets for cash. I'm so glad I didn't buy anything with my Roger Stein discount at the gift shop, or I wouldn't have had enough. :) Mike is such a class act.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Z Dumplings--what a wonderful time you had on Sunday
    Love reading the stories.
    Supported a great charity with the walk.
    And, capped off the day with dinner with Mike.
    Must have special memories.
    On to Hollywood Park.
    Hugs, Keta
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    edited April 2012
    Don't know if Mike would have been riding Mamma Kimbo for the Kentucky Oaks or not but now we'll never know. John Fort’s Mamma Kimbo, who was slated to run in the May 4 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs, will instead be pointed to the May 18 Black-Eyed Susan (gr. II) at Pimlico Race Course.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69256/mamma-kimbo-out-of-oaks-sacristy-in#ixzz1tAWJ2FMi
  • KetaKeta Member
    Utopian Captures Inglewood With Perfect Trip
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse
    Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 11:53 PM
    Beginning with the scratch of champion Acclamation, the $98,000 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) went perfectly for Utopian, who got up in the final couple of strides to win by a head April 27 at Betfair Hollywood Park (VIDEO).

Utopian, owned by Jerry and Ann Moss and trained by John Shirreffs, earned his first stakes win while defeating three rivals in the 1 1/8-mile grass test in a slow 1:48.73 over firm ground. The race was the feature event of the the first Friday night program of the Hollywood Park spring/summer meet.

Acclamation, who won the Eclipse Award in 2011 as outstanding older male, would have been an overwhelming favorite in his first start since last October. But trainer Don Warren opted to scratch his star when he suspected something was amiss following a morning gallop a day before the Inglewood.

With Mike Smith aboard, Utopian sat a perfect trip just off the pacesetter Smug and engaged his rival in a stiff battle through the length of the stretch. Racing on the outside of Smug, Utopian got a slight advantage in the closing strides and emerged with a hard-fought victory.
    Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69296/utopian-captures-inglewood-with-perfect-trip#ixzz1tJ9NRq8l
  • KetaKeta Member
    Here is the race replay
    The Blood-Horse tweeted
    WATCH REPLAY: RT @BH_RaceResults: Utopian (Rock Hard Ten - Storm Alert) wins the Inglewood H..
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/BHP/2012/4/27/3/inglewood-h?utm_source=twitter
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Welsch DRF tweeted Sun. April 29th
    Bodemeister 5f. 59.48 out 1:12.13 double out 1:25.57 splits 24.73 36.39
    extremely impressive
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    edited May 2012
    Looks like Mike will have the mount on Sacristy for the Kentucky Oaks. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69391/kentucky-oaks-draws-overflow-field-of-15
  • KetaKeta Member
    AmandaF Looks like Mike will have the mount on Sacristy for the Kentucky Oaks.
    Thanks again for link & info.
  • Crazy4ZCrazy4Z Member
    Mike is going to LE to visit The Queen and little Z! I can't wait to hear his reaction.
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    Mike will have two other mounts on the Derby undercard. Amazombie in Race 7 and will be riding Switch in Race 9.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Worth reading the entire Blog--link is below.
    On Bodemeister, 'thought I had the race won'
    By MIKE SMITH From: New York Post
    Last Updated: 9:15 AM, May 6, 2012
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. — It would have been the robbery of the year if I could have pulled it off.
    Bodemeister ran incredibly well. I’m so proud of him. That first half-mile in :45 just got me the last little bit. Trinniberg, who was pressing me most of the way, stopped at the three-eighths pole and made it look like I opened up more. If he hadn’t been in there, the race might have had a different outcome, but that’s horse racing.
    I wouldn’t change my ride in any way. I caught such a flyer leaving the gate. In two jumps, I was two lengths in front, that quick. I thought if anything came extremely easy, I was going to take advantage of it. It wasn’t the time to experiment to see if I could ease him back a bit.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse_racing/bummer_on_bode_MJlMpovaqVSNy37vNfWk5K#ixzz1uCYBYQKN
    Mike Smith, the Hall of Fame jockey who rode 50-1 shot Giacomo to victory in the 2005 Kentucky Derby, was aboard Bodemeister, one of the favorites in yesterday’s Run for the Roses. Bodemeister led throughout the race but was passed by I’ll Have Another in the final furlong en route to a second-place finish. As told to Ed Fountaine.