Mike Smith

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    edited July 2012

Mike Smith’s Official Web Site has been improved
    Hello everyone!
    Some of you have noticed that Mike’s Official website was down for 24 hours.
    Well Mike is excited to announce that his website is back up and new & improved!
    The website is brand new so there may be some kinks here and there so please bear with us!
    I am sure all of you will notice a huge improvement! Please take a look!
    http://mike-smith-jockey.com/
    Posted on Facebook with some minor editing by Keta

• KetaKeta Member
    Ray Paulick DRF tweet
    Mucho Macho Man (Macho Uno) takes G2 Suburban, toting 118 lbs to about 3L win in 146.58 for 9F.
    Hymn Book rallies for 2nd. Trickmeister 3rd
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Welsch‏@DRFWelsch
    Great to see local favorite Mucho Macho Man crush 'em in the Suburban.
    Kudos to Kathy Ritvo and perfect ride by Mike Smith
  • KetaKeta Member
    NYRA‏ tweet
    We don’t get to see him that often anymore,
    but Mike Smith remains a very popular figure here.
    Lots of love from the best fans in the world!
  • Certain riders for certain horses. Mike for Zenyatta and now 3M. Johnny V for Union Rags and Chantal for Game On Dude.
  • According to the Bloodhorse, Mucho Macho Man was given a hand ride by Mike. All kinds of praise for him knowing to spare the whip.
  • I love Mike and Zenny's stratagies for the race, start in the back get everyone worried then zoom there the winners! Just like the great secretariat.......
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Sec did win some as a closer...but he also won by stalking and by front running ...on dirt and on turf..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just saw it. He has a nice body. Made me jealous, lol.
  • Mike & MMM. Great pairing. The guy knows how to ride those big ones.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Hollywood Park: Lady of Shamrock ready to go long in American Oaks
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 07/12/2012 3:34PM
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Lady of Shamrock gave trainer John Sadler a small measure of consolation in the seconds after she had finished second by a nose in the Grade 2 Honeymoon Handicap at Betfair Hollywood Park on June 9.
    Lady of Shamrock galloped out well clear of the field after a troubled trip, leaving Sadler immediately looking forward to Saturday’s $350,000 American Oaks.
    “She just zoomed,” he said of the way she traveled after the wire.
    The Honeymoon Handicap was run over 1 1/8 miles. The Grade 1 American Oaks is run over 1 1/4 miles, and will be the longest race in Lady of Shamrock’s accomplished career. She won three stakes during the Santa Anita winter-spring meeting, all for owner Kosta Hronis.
    Lady of Shamrock will be ridden by Mike Smith, who was aboard for her wins in the China Doll Stakes in May and the Grade 3 Providencia Stakes in April. Alonso Quinonez rode Lady of Shamrock in the Honeymoon because Smith rode the Belmont Stakes program that day. In the Honeymoon, Lady of Shamrock raced in traffic through the stretch and did not have a clear path until the final sixteenth.
    http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-lady-shamrock-ready-go-long-american-oaks
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lady of Shamrock won! By 2 lengths.
    Phenomenal ride by Mike Smith!
    Did you see how he hugged the rail?
    Yeah Mike!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited July 2012
    David Ingordo tweeted
    Congrats to the connections of Lady Of Shamrock - another Ingordo Bloodstock purchase. She joins Bodemiester as our 2nd G1 winner of 2012
    Adding another tweet from David Ingordo‏
    Congrats to the connections of SWITCH.
    The 2nd GSW for an Ingordo Bloodstock Purchase (KeeSept yearling) today.
    On to the BC for a 3rd time

A big congratulations to David for choosing & buying these great horses!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lady of Shamrock zips to American Oaks victory
    by Paulick Report Staff | 07.14.2012 | 6:49pm
    Lady of Shamrock delivered a Grade 1 victory for trainer John Sadler and jockey Mike Smith as she zipped through at the end of the 1 1/4 mile contest over the Betfair Hollywood Park turf. Fractions were 1/4 :25.39, 1/2 :50.43, 3/4 1:15.79, Mile 1:39.82 and Final 2:03.19.
    Jockey Quotes
    MIKE SMITH, LADY OF SHAMROCK, Winner: "She was a victim of a slow pace last time and today it worked out real great where there was a little more pace and I was able to stay in the pocket the whole way and take advantage of it. (Nayarra) didn’t corner too well and that really helped us out because it open the race up and I was able to get up in there and on through. I know what she is capable of, but she was a little on her toes warming up and I was a little bit concerned she might be a little bit aggressive today, but honestly she turned off really well once the gates opened and after that got into a great rhythm.’’
    JOE TALAMO, MY GI GI, Second: "She ran great. I was surprised that other filly (Lady Of Shamrock) got through on the rail, that was a real tight spot. My filly gave it a roll and I was very proud of her."
    VICTOR ESPINOZA, BEST PRESENT EVER, Third: "She ran great. I wanted to wait a little bit longer, but when they opened the rail I had to take it. I had to move a little bit sooner than I would have liked."
    Trainer Quotes
    JOHN SADLER, LADY OF SHAMROCK, Winner: “I thought at a mile and one-quarter she’d eventually get a lane or a seam. I’m glad (Mike Smith) didn’t alter the strategy even though it was a paceless race. We still like to let her settle and she’s doing really well that way. In turf racing you need to catch a break, you need to find a lane, and she did. She has a real good turn of foot. I think clearly she’s the best 3-year-old filly on turf in the country. We’re very excited about her. We’ll probably run her in the ($300,000, Grade I) Del Mar Oaks (Aug. 18).’’
    PETER EURTON, MY GI GI, Second: “She ran huge. The tables were switched today. She (Lady of Shamrock) got an unbelievable trip and saved ground. She got first run on us. It’s all about who can relax and who can quicken. That’s a remarkable filly who beat us today. I can’t wait for a rematch in the Del Mar Oaks.”
    J. ERIC KRULJAC, BEST PRESENT EVER, Third: “She ran well. It was a huge jump in class and distance. Hopefully, she’ll continue to grow and get better. I knew we were in deep against Lady of Shamrock, but I thought maybe we could run third, and we did. It was huge because the owners (breeders Dennis and Norine Grenier) own the mother and her sister. So it was a very good day for us.”
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/lady-of-shamrock-zips-to-american-oaks-victory/
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    If anyone is interested, I took pics of the American Oaks and Lady of Shamrock and Mike's great ride. Just click on the link... http://gillyzmama.smugmug.com/Animals/2012-American-Oaks-Lady-of/24216219_WndHP9#!i=1970092174&k=wrmZSTR
  • KetaKeta Member
    So, has Bob Baffert demoted Mike Smith?
    Haskell attracts Paynter as substitute for Bodemeister
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 07/18/2012 1:46PM
    DEL MAR, Calif. – Paynter, a game second to Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes on June 9, is bound for the $1 million Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on July 29, trainer Bob Baffert said.
    Paynter worked six furlongs in 1:13.20 on Del Mar’s Polytrack synthetic surface on Wednesday.
    The decision gives owner Ahmed Zayat a prominent runner in the Grade 1 Haskell Invitational after the defection of his Bodemeister, the runner-up in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Zayat and Baffert had intended to run Bodemeister in the Haskell, but he was declared from the race because of an elevated temperature.
    Wednesday, Paynter worked in company with Blueskiesnrainbows, the winner of the Grade 2 Swaps Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park on July 4.
    A winner of 2 of 5 starts and $352,224, Paynter had bullet workouts twice earlier this month at Santa Anita, working five furlongs in 58.60 seconds on July 4 and six furlongs in 1:12.60 on July 11.
    “He’s been working really well lately,” Baffert said.
    In the Belmont, Paynter was beaten a neck by Union Rags after leading for much of the 1 1/2 miles.
    Paynter will be ridden in the Haskell by jockey Rafael Bejarano, a replacement for Mike Smith. Baffert described the change in riders as a reflection of Bejarano’s presence as the stable’s first-call jockey.
    Baffert said that a race for Blueskiesnrainbows has not been finalized.
    “He could run in the Haskell or he could run in the Jim Dandy,” Baffert said, referring to the $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga on July 28.
  • Mike was super on Lady of Shamrock! What a victory for them both.
  • KetaKeta Member

Royal Delta works for win in Delaware Handicap
    by Press Release Jockey Guild via Pauling Report | 07.21.2012 | 4:53pm
    Royal Delta dug-in and held-on to notch a gutsy victory over long shot Tiz Miz Sue in the Grade II Delaware Handicap at Delaware Park today. Besilu Stable’s Royal Delta, the winner of the Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic last year, earned her spot in the same race this year as the filly and mare summer classic is a “Win and You’re In” Breeders’ Cup Challenge race. The Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic will be run at Santa Anita Park on November 2.
    With Mike Smith aboard, Royal Delta notched a neck victory and returned $3.00 as the favorite in the field of seven. Tiz Miz Sue, a 28-to-1 shot with Joe Rocco Jr., was second 5 ¾-lengths in front of Awesome Maria, with Ramon Dominguez, in third.
    Royal Delta, a Kentucky-bred conditioned by William Mott, ran the mile and a quarter in 2:03.51 over a fast main track. The 4-year-old daughter of Empire Maker improved her record to seven wins from 12 starts with earnings of $2,263,851.
    Winning trainer William Mott was impressed with the victory considering everything she had to overcome.
    “We had to move early, we had to carry a lot weight and she proved to be the best,” said winning trainer William Mott. “She was game in victory. She did a lot of work around the turn and early in the stretch. She made the lead a little early, but she got it done.”
    He was especially impressed with the victory considering he knew the rest of the field was going to make things as difficult as they could for his filly.
    “You know they are going to do that, I suppose going in,” said winning trainer William Mott. “It appeared a little extreme. I mean the horse on the lead packed us six out. Going into the turn there was room for five horses on the inside. Fortunately, our mare was good enough to overcome it. She only won because she is very special. He (Smith) had to ride a very offensive but defensive race. I think that was whole thinking when he came into the race. You know going in they are going to be looking for you and as it turned out they were. Tiz Miz Sue ran a gallant race. She ran really good, but we were just a little better today.”
    Winning jockey Mike Smith was worried about Tiz Miz Sue and Royal Delta making her first start at Delaware Park.
    “She was the horse that I was worried about,” Smith said of Tiz Miz Sue. “Not only is she talented, she was on her home course. She got to me, but my mare just wasn’t going to let her by. She just kept digging in. She’s extremely talented, and that’s what it takes to win a race like this. Delaware is a great, great track, but it’s demanding. It’s a good, old-fashioned kind of racetrack, and you need a horse that really takes to it. I was just lucky I was on the mare I rode.”
    He knew nobody was going to do him any favors in the race.
    “I was 1-5, and I’m on the horse to beat, so they’re not going to do me any favors,” Smith said of the other riders. “I had to try to figure out a way to let my horse get into a groove and get into a rhythm.”
    The local horse for the course, Cresran Stable’s Tiz Miz Sue ran a gallant second but could not get past the winner. The 5-year-old daughter of Tiznow ridden by Joseph Rocco Jr. brought a Delaware Park record of four wins and two seconds from eight starts into the Delaware Handicap.
    “My mare ran huge and she tried hard, but we could not get there,” said jockey Joseph Rocco Jr. “She was really, really game. The best mare in the country just beat her by a head, so you can’t take anything away from her. My horse was trying as hard as she could, and she just couldn’t get by her.”
    The race did not unfold as expected for the Ramon Dominguez aboard Awesome Maria.
    “The race set up a lot different then I was expecting,” said jockey Ramon Dominguez. “For one thing I was expecting Cash for Clunkers to go early. I was fine with that but I was surprised to see the winner taking the lead. It really left me with a tough decision. It just did not set up at all for us. I was happy she finished third, but the race did not set up at all the way I envisioned the race.”
    http://www.paulickreport.com/index.php/news/thoroughbred-racing/royal-delta-works-for-win-in-delaware-handicap/
  • Hooray! Congratulations Mike, I think Zenyatta would be so very proud. After all you are her man Mike. Take care and only safe and winning rides to you and your mounts.
    Trisha-VA
  • I'm not sure if this is allowed or if this is the right place to put this. Recently my Dad received a beautiful print of Zenyatta from a very dear friend. He has had it beautifully framed. When I was down there he had stated "boy if I could only have it signed". See my Dad is 76 yrs. old. He has a love for horses that no word can describe. He has been going to Churchill Downs since he was 9 yrs. old. He would take a bus there when he was a kid. My Grandma would get so mad at him. At one time in his life he was a horse trainer. He had a heart attack when he was young. The doctor told him it was from stress. He had to give up one of his jobs. Well the horses at the time wasn't making him any money. So years went by and he finally retired from his normal job. He went to work at Churchill Downs part time working the horses, walking them whatever he could do. Then he got a full time job working security there. He loved it. Two years ago my Dad had another heart attack, thirty seven years later after his first one. We are very thankful to still have him with us today. He has a pacemaker and a defibrillator now. He had to retire. My Dad has not been the same since. I know some of you have loved something so much and no longer have it and you probably know how he feels. I'm not sure why I'm writing all this. Maybe because someone will understand. Or maybe someone will just care that my Dad loves something so much that he no longer gets to enjoy. I only wish I could do something for him. I know we all will get old one day. But my Dad is really not old. He volunteers three days a week at a local hospital helping people in the cardiac rehabilitation.
    Thanks for reading. Oh by the way my Dad's name is Ralph Wells. And his passion is thoroughbreds!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    hoosiersec
    Your Dad, Ralph Wells, was blessed that he was able to follow two paths in life & have his passion part of both.
    Yes, I do understand. I just had my 75th birthday & know what it is like to go through the changes that aging brings & with it, restrictions. The life you lead at this age is not the life that you led 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.
    There are benefits in living in the age of technology. One is the Internet and sharing with others. Another is cable/satellite tv. Although trips to the track are now limited by how I feel, I can watch races on TVG (even with the annoying bet info). It gives me the feel of going to the track & watch these incredible animals run. And, you can watch on the internet. These maybe something your Dad might enjoy.
    Believe me, I do know that technology does not replace the live experience of being on a farm or at the track. Nothing can replace touching a soft nose, smelling, seeing a paddock full of horses. But, watching even on tv, can bring those memories back.
    It is a tough time for your Dad, for you, for your family.
    Know that I do care.
    Hugs, Keta