Mike Smith

Comments

• its not the usual thing for baffert to lose races in his own backyard during breeders cup. hes scrambled lol doing some changes to see if that helps.
  • Stanwyck finished 3rd beaten by 4 lengths, on November 23, 2012,
    at BETFAIR HOLLYWOOD PARK in Race 8.
    Mike Smith was riding
  • Mike has picked up the mount on Game On Dude for the Native Diver on Dec 1st.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I do NOT like Baffert, but I guess I have to root for GoD now...
  • a baffert horse on the turf today at hollywood park. was odd to see lol but the horse ran really well.
  • Hollywood Park notes: Smith will ride Game On Dude in Native Diver
    By Steve Andersen DRF 11/23/2012 3:44PM
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith has gained the mount on Game On Dude for the $250,000 Native Diver Handicap at Betfair Hollywood Park on Dec. 1, trainer Bob Baffert said Friday.
    Smith will be the third jockey in four races for Game On Dude, the leading older male in California this year. Baffert made the decision in the weeks after Game On Dude finished a disappointing seventh as the 6-5 favorite in the Breeders’ Cup Classic at Santa Anita on Nov. 3. The loss eliminated Game On Dude from consideration for Horse of the Year.
    Baffert said he chose Smith hoping that Game On Dude can have a better start in the Native Diver, following trouble at the start of the BC Classic.
    “The start is so important,” Baffert said. “He lost position in the first few jumps. Once he gets shuffled, he loses.”
    http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-notes-smith-will-ride-game-dude-native-diver
  • Awesome Gem looks super great at age 9. parading around for his fans.
  • 2012 Native Diver Stakes
    Game on Dude with Mike Smith wins!!

Congratulations Game on Dude & Awesome Again!
    Adena Springs Farm‏ tweet
    Game on Dude is now Awesome Again’s THIRD $3 million + earner
    and is among his FIVE multi-millionaires – all in North America…
  • Betfair Hollywood Park News
    $250,000 - Native Diver Stakes - Grade III - 34th Running - 1 1/8 Miles
    Jockey and Trainer Quotes Posted 12.01.12 at 4:06
    Jockey Quotes
    MIKE SMITH, GAME ON DUDE, Winner:“He had a little hiccup coming out of the gate. He was squatting a little. I have a couple of ideas maybe we’ll try (next time). The idea was just to stay out of his way. (Jockey) Martin (Pedroza) secured the lead (on Nonios) and if he wanted it going at a decent pace, I was going to let him have it. But he didn’t really go on and I was determined to stick him in there. I know this horse is brave, so I just put him where I thought I had to. He handled the track well. The key for me was to win, and if I could win without gutting him, it would be really good. I wanted to see if he’d fight, he acted like he would in the mornings, and he certainly did in the afternoon. He won pretty much within himself.”

MARTIN PEDROZA, NONIOS, Second: “I knew I couldn’t let the other horse get away or my horse wouldn’t have any chance. He would have won by 10 lengths. It was pretty tight on the first turn, but that’s just horse racing. I figured nobody else was going and that was his only chance.’’
    It was a great ride by Mike and I'm happy he was able to win. We were wondering about the contact at the first turn when Mike rode Dude in on the rail, but I guess no objections were filed. At least, Mike will most likely keep the ride on Dude for now. I did not see Baffert shake Mike's hand at all. And when they were in the paddock, I didn't see much interaction between them either. The only time Mike's demeanor changed is when he saw his BFF Madison and us on the rail.
  • I think there was no objection or inquiry because the bump happened so early. It would be hard to argue that the bump affeceted the outcome of the race. Nonios remained in contention the whole time, epecially when he almost caught GoD in the stretch. GoD won on his own courage. Anyway, as Pedroza said. "that's just horse racing."
  • Hollywood Park: Smith's clutch decision helps Game On Dude win the Native Diver
    By Jay Privman Daily Racing Form 12/01/2012 6:18PM (Race Replay Video)

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Mike Smith paid attention. Whether it was stated or inferred, there was no doubt that the reason he had received the mount on Game On Dude for the Grade 3, $242,500 Native Diver Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park on Saturday was because of dissatisfaction with the way Game On Dude was ridden in recent starts.
    After breaking a bit slowly and being gunned to the lead, Game On Dude, right, turned back a strong challenge from Nonios in the upper stretch to win the Native Diver.

So when Game On Dude broke a half-step slowly, from the rail, Smith knew what he had to do. He gunned Game On Dude to the lead, despite the aggressive early tactics from Nonios and his jockey, Martin Pedroza.
    http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-smiths-clutch-decision-helps-game-dude-win-native-diver
  • Great ride by Smith.
  • Game On Dude, Nonios in good order after Native Diver
    By brisnet on The Blood-Horsse Updated: Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 5:28 PMAssistant trainer Mike Marlow said Sunday that Game On Dude returned in “good shape” following his game victory in Saturday’s Grade 3 Native Diver Stakes.
    “I thought he was impressive,” said Marlow, who is a longtime assistant to Bob Baffert. “He was tested all the way. Mike Smith’s move on the first turn was a key factor in the race.”
    Marlow indicated that Game On Dude was still at Hollywood Park and would likely ship to Santa Anita Monday.

Following the race, Baffert indicated his next major objective with Game On Dude would be the Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap on March 2. The Awesome Again gelding won the 2011 Big ‘Cap, but skipped a title defense this year in favor of the Group 1 Dubai World Cup, where he wound up 12th.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/74846/game-on-dude-nonios-in-good-order-after-native-diver#ixzz2DwAegoIM
  • Mike Smith to ride Executiveprivilege!
    Executiveprivilege Definite For Saturday’s Starlet
    Stable Notes Posted 12.02.12 at 12:49
    The Grade I, $500,000-guaranteed Hollywood Starlet, which will be run Saturday at 1 1/16 miles on Cushion Track, could have as many as seven participants.
    Trained by Bob Baffert, Executiveprivilege, a two-time Grade I winner, lost for the first time in six starts when defeated by Beholder in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Nov. 2.
    Mike Smith replaces Rafael Bejarano, who had ridden the First Samurai filly in each of her previous starts. Smith worked Executiveprivilege a half mile in 47 seconds Nov. 20 at Santa Anita. The Hall of Famer rode Game On Dude to victory for Baffert in Saturday’s Native Diver Stakes.
    Adding intrigue to the race is Blonde Fog, also conditioned by Baffert. The daughter of Divine Park made quite an impression in her debut, winning by more than 12 lengths against maiden special weights at the Starlet distance.
    Other likely entrants are Midnight Ballet (trained by Tom Proctor), who captured the Sharp Cat Stakes Nov. 11 in her Cushion Track debut, Renee’s Titan (Doug O’Neill), second to Midnight Ballet in the same race, and Scarlet Strike (Jerry Hollendorfer), second to Executiveprivilege in the Grade I Chandalier Stakes.
    Possibles are Pure Fun (Ken McPeek) and Secret Motive (Julio Canani), both of whom would have to be supplemented. Late nominations are accepted until entries are taken Wednesday.
    http://betfairhollywoodpark.com/news/executiveprivilege-definite-for-saturday-s-starlet
  • Executive Privilege is a beautiful lady. Can't wait to see that race!
  • Keta Note: No Pressure-Mike!
    Executiveprivilege Can Make Case for Eclipse
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse
    Updated: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:43 PM
    With a victory in the $500,000 Hollywood Starlet Stakes (gr. I) Dec. 8 at Betfair Hollywood Park, Executiveprivilege could set off quite a debate for the Eclipse Award in the juvenile filly division
    From the barn of Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, Executiveprivilege will be heavily favored in the 1 1/16-mile Starlet under equal weights of 120 pounds against seven opponents. If she were to win, it would be the third grade I victory of the year for the daughter of First Samurai , the most of any juvenile filly in the country.

Missing from the Starlet is Beholder, the filly that defeated the previously unbeaten Executiveprivilege by one length in the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park. Beholder, conditioned by another Hall of Fame trainer, Richard Mandella, posted her first stakes win in the $2 million event and is not expected to race again until early next year.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/74899/executiveprivilege-can-make-case-for-eclipse#ixzz2EDX7QUYe
    Mike has 6 mounts on Saturday!!!
  • Contentious CashCall Futurity Set Saturday
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse
    Updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:54 PM
    He's Had Enough, who missed by a head winning the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) last month, and Nashua Stakes (gr. II) victor Violence square off against a quartet from the Bob Baffert barn in the $750,000 CashCall Futurity (gr. I) Dec. 12 at Betfair Hollywood Park
    Eleven 2-year-olds are entered in what shapes up as a terrific running of the final major 2-year-old test of the year nationally. Contested at 1 1/16 miles on the Cushion Track, the CashCall Futurity is part of a program that includes the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IIT). The Futurity is the ninth on the penultimate card of the 2012 autumn meet with a probable post time of 4:35 p.m. PST.
    Baffert has won three of the past four CashCall Futurity renewals and has captured a record six overall (the race was previously known as the Hollywood Futurity). The Hall of Fame conditioner will be represented this year by stakes winners Den's Legacy, Carving, and Really Mr Greely, as well as Title Contender. Baffert decided to start all four colts after each worked extremely well Dec. 9 and 10 at Santa Anita Park.
    The Baffert-trained Really Mr Greely was an impressive gate-to-wire winner of the seven-furlong Hollywood Prevue (gr. III) Nov. 22 at odds of 11-1, earning a 98 Beyer speed figure, the best in this year's Futurity field. Owned by Karl Watson, Mike Pegram, and Paul Weitman, the son of Horse Greeley will need to answer the distance question this time, having never been longer than seven furlongs. The Kentucky-bred colt has won his past two starts and will be ridden for the first time by Mike Smith

$750,000 CashCall Futurity (gr. I, Race 9, 4:35 p.m.), 2YOs, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather)
    PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer
    1. He's Had Enough (KY), M Gutierrez, D F O'Neill
    2. Den's Legacy (FL), G K Gomez, B Baffert
    3. Dirty Swagg (KY), T Baze, M K Cho
    4. Carving (KY), M Garcia, B Baffert
    5. Fury Kapcori (KY), J Talamo, J Hollendorfer
    6. Violence (KY), J Castellano, T A Pletcher
    7. Simon Eyes (KY), V Espinoza, W A Ward
    8. Really Mr Greely (KY), M E Smith, B Baffert
    9. Title Contender (KY), R Bejarano, B Baffert
    10. Little Jerry (KY), A T Gryder, R Baltas
    11. Oxbow (KY), C S Nakatani, D W Lukas

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/75031/contentious-cashcall-futurity-set-saturday#ixzz2F3B09VQY
  • Santa Anita opens Dec. 26th
    Here are Mike Smith Entries
    December 26 – Santa Anita
    Valentine Boy Wgt-120 Race 2 Claiming $25,000
    Mamma Kimbo Wgt-118 Race 4 La Brea S.
    Battle Force Wgt-118 Race 5 Sir Beaufort S.
    Fed Biz Wgt-118 Race 8 Malibu S.
    Brannaman Wgt-122 Race 9 Maiden Special Weight

December 29 – Santa Anita
    Mentor Cane Wgt-121 Race 1 Maiden Special Weight
    My Philly Girl Wgt-118 Race 7 Allowance
    Starspangled Heat Wgt-119 Race 8 Daytona S

Keta Note: Mentor Cane is the 2 year old very promising colt owned by Ann & Jerry Moss
  • Mentor Cane, rank. Mike had a time with him, oh well.
  • Very true, he is so young, as well. Just needs a little seasoning!