Zenyatta on her year off

Didn't see a discussion about this
While our Queen is taking the year off what is she up too?
More specifically I've wondered if they ride her sometimes?

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I seriously doubt anyone would dare....to ride her ..i mean....
    I know some farms ride their stallions....never heard of riding the broodmares
  • I think there's a "year of the sabbatical" thread that probably has similar conversations
  • I seriously doubt anyone would dare....to ride her ..i mean....
    Pretty much as Carolina says, you may hear of the farms riding their stallions (if the stallions enjoy it some don't) but never the broodmares. And I don't think Lane's End even rides their stallions.

We may get a blog spot detailing her routine as an 'open' mare but what is typical of a situation like this is she is with other 'open' mares. She is probably spending plenty of time out in a big field with her girlfriends, enjoying the fall weather. When she comes up to the barn, she's monitored to maintain a regular cycle of coming into season so the
    farm knows when to schedule her 'date' in 2015.

Other than that, she's relaxing and enjoying life. Pretty much the same as she would were she in foal for 2015.
  • cms0594cms0594 Member
    edited October 2014
    Just out of curiosity ... why? Is it not good for her to be ridden?
    I seriously doubt anyone would dare....to ride her ..i mean....
  • There are a few reasons.

1. Insurance. I suspect Zenyatta is insured for quite a bit of money. The insurance company would not want to risk her dumping a rider and getting into trouble while under saddle.

2. Mentally Zenyatta would still equate a rider with racing. She would have to be retrained the way OTTB have to be retrained for a new under saddle career. By the time that work had been put into her, she'll be in foal again.

3. Lane's End is not set up as a riding facility. It's a breeding farm and a nursery.
  • There are a few reasons.

1. Insurance. I suspect Zenyatta is insured for quite a bit of money. The insurance company would not want to risk her dumping a rider and getting into trouble while under saddle.

2. Mentally Zenyatta would still equate a rider with racing. She would have to be retrained the way OTTB have to be retrained for a new under saddle career. By the time that work had been put into her, she'll be in foal again.

3. Lane's End is not set up as a riding facility. It's a breeding farm and a nursery.
    Oh thanks but what does OTTB mean
  • OTTB = Off The Track Thoroughbred
  • Ohh
  • When Zenyatta was first retired and she was paraded around with just a saddle cloth, they said she would never be ridden again. The saddle cloth with no saddle really symbolized that statement very eloquently. I forget if the ceremony was at Hollywood Park (probably was) or Santa Anita.
  • Wonder what it feels like to ride such a champion..
  • There is a video on youtube where Mike was on Zenny and he had a camera attached to his helmet it prob isn't close to what it feels like to ride her but it is as close as we are gonna get
  • I have been blessed with riding a few horses at full gallop, including a QH (1/16 TB) that I owned. That's as close as I personally could come to riding Zenny or any racing TB. It's an amazing feeling! The only thing that even comes near in comparison was flying a plane over the Golden Gate Bridge in SF, CA (I was dating the pilot). There's tons of really cool things to do out there; try some!
  • Riding at a full gallop is amazing, especially when you let them out to top speed.

Jumping, that moment when you feel the floating sensation and hear the silence as all four feet are off the ground and the horse is flying beneath you, is amazing as well.

But I think my favorite moment was breaking from the gate. When those powerful haunches sink beneath you, till you feel like you're going to roll backwards off the saddle and the gate bangs open and ... launch! Even if you're not being competitive, you can't help but feel the adrenalin rush and the desire to break on top as your horse takes that first leap.

More exciting and stomach twirling than a roller coaster!
  • edited November 2014
    There is a video on youtube where Mike was on Zenny and he had a camera attached to his helmet it prob isn't close to what it feels like to ride her but it is as close as we are gonna get
    Here it is:

(I thought it was on the Videos page also, but no.)
  • Those ears :)))))
  • Riding at a full gallop is amazing, especially when you let them out to top speed.

Jumping, that moment when you feel the floating sensation and hear the silence as all four feet are off the ground and the horse is flying beneath you, is amazing as well.

But I think my favorite moment was breaking from the gate. When those powerful haunches sink beneath you, till you feel like you're going to roll backwards off the saddle and the gate bangs open and ... launch! Even if you're not being competitive, you can't help but feel the adrenalin rush and the desire to break on top as your horse takes that first leap.

More exciting and stomach twirling than a roller coaster!
    Your a jockey?
  • No at 5'7" I was too big for that!

But in my youth I worked with a "blue collar" circuit trainer doing a little of everything. Mostly I was back on the nursery working with the yearlings/babies on their foundation lessons and transitioning the retirees to their new careers. But every so often I got to go up to the tracks, Penn National, Atlantic City, Laurel, Charlestown and work with the racing string.

When I was on the back-side I usually was exercising the youngsters in their first lessons about being on the oval and going to the gate. Stuff where having long legs worked to the horse's advantage, kinda like how we see Kevin riding CoZ these days with long stirrups. (Well long compared to a jockey or 'bug' position)

Every so often, if there was a need, I'd get tossed up on one of the campaigners and sent out to do a gallop from the gate. Always looked so damn silly with my knees practically to my nose!!

Oh but I miss the flexibility of youth.
  • Giggle :))) Zenyen, the image of you in 'bug' position brought to mind a memory I have of my 6'2" dad trying to peddle one of the neighbor's kids tricycle (in one of his silly moments). So funny!
  • It was pretty comical tbh!!

I was okay once I could get up into 2-point but the gate crew spared no expense in yanking my chain when I went up to the gate!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    IS THIS "BIZARRE" OR WHAT!!!...
    Since the passing of Z Princess, I've made it a point to check the pedigree sites that I don't need a membership with to see if there are any updates with Zenyatta/Z Princess.

Check this out from Pedigree Query...this must be a cruel joke or someone got the wrong Zenyatta! A 2013 foal out of Zenyatta (2004) with the name of AAAAAAAAAAAA by Noble Mission-GB (2009)!
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/zenyatta
  • edited November 2014
    Wow, Paniolo_Gal, that is really weird and I have no clue what it means. And when you click on AAAAAAAAAA's name, Zenyatta comes up as the dam. What in the world? We know that was the year Ziconic was born. That's crazy. Equibase has another Zenyatta, but it is a quarter horse gelding born in 2009.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    OK...Someone must be reading our Forum. Just now I clicked on Pedigree Query and found that the weird posting AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-2013 has been removed from the Zenyatta (2004) progeny list. Bizarre indeed!
    Darn...I wish I took a picture of this bizarre progeny notation under Zenyatta (2004)!
  • I tried posting the multiple name appearance link from Pedigree Query but you need to actually type in the name to have the list appear as shown below: There appears to be 2 other incidences of the name Zenyatta showing up as thoroughbreds. However, the other 2 Zenyattas do not show any progeny listings:

imageImage from Pedigree Query
  • There are people who play around with the Pedigreequery database just for giggles. Occasionally, wierd things show up. That's always the risk with user maintained sources. They can be reliable or unreliable depending on who is doing the editing--rather like Wikipedia.
  • There are people who play around with the Pedigreequery database just for giggles. Occasionally, wierd things show up. That's always the risk with user maintained sources. They can be reliable or unreliable depending on who is doing the editing--rather like Wikipedia.
    This, basically.

Pedigree Query is a good starting reference but never quote it as gospel truth. Equibase or the Jockey Club's site itself should be cross referenced just to confirm facts.

As LauraJ says, Pedigree Query is user maintained and while 95% of those users appear to be on the level, there's 5% who muck about.