Worthy Horse Rescue Organizations and Current Needs and Updates

Comments

• Yes...I see the silhouette of the "arch" pass the doorway you described. So my guess might be correct...Spider might rehab in the garage! LOL! Pretty soon, as I mentioned earlier, Ann and her husband will have to move out to the stables! Or build another house to live in. chuckle.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited November 2014
    If you look at the 2nd picture in the series of Spider being examined in the garage near the top of this page, you can see the dark brown door in the upper left side of the picture, going out of the garage to the place near Rowdy's stall. There's no archway in that location, so it was just built very recently. I'd say that looks like the place Spider will be. They'll probably leave that door open. He'll be able to see Rowdy, but not touch him, which is good. And a person could easily visit with both of them there. Also Spider will be sheltered from really bad weather as we are entering into a cooler season, and getting to a colder one.
  • They don't have an actual stables. They have a number of small sheds, one for storing hay, one for various metal garbage cans full of feed, etc. The horses are all outdoors in individual corrals with windbreaks and sun shelters at one end. The corral Spider is in now is the hospital stall and it's 24 by 24 feet. The sun shade covers almost the entire overhead and the windbreak runs the full length of the corral. Their goal is to one-day make 3-sided windbreaks at an end of each stall. Since the climate is almost always warm in the day, or exceedingly hot, and it seldom rains, this is acceptable.

I think if Spider is in the garage where it won't be too stimulating and he won't be able to watch the other horses running around, he may just drowse the time away, since he'll also be sedated.
  • Sorry guys. You have a right to call me for being precise. Will keep trying. Days End has won awards. They have outreach to fire dept. And park police and public on how to rescue horses in distress. Stall, sinkhole, bad jump where horse cannot get out of a ditch. You name it. Volunteer firefighters train civilians.

• The original owner would not tell Ann Spider's actual foaling date--sometime in March--or dam's name. I did find out that Birdstone was bred to 80 mares in 2012 and that 64 live births were reported in 2013 and 58 or 59 foals were listed as available. Don't quite know where to go after that. Spider did not get a lip tatoo, unfortunately.
    Not surprised. It's probably for the best anyway. Technically, the owner of Spider's dam is still on the hook for a stud fee.

Spider wouldn't be able get a lip tattoo since he can't be registered without foal papers, and he can't get those with an unpaid stud fee. He doesn't need one anyway, since he's not going to race. And at under 2 years old, he most likely wouldn't have one at this point.
  • Yeah, he certainly isn't going to race. He may not even be ride-able. But he will be a good therapy horse because he's very sweet and seems pretty mellow. Ann just wants his pedigree info to cover herself against accusations from nasty people who think she's making the whole story up to make money. Without the documentation from the Jockey Club (who are doing the DNA testing), she has only the word of the original owner and the person who was boarding Spider that he is who they say he is. So now that he's got publicity and has come to the attention through Steve Haskin of the Thoroughbred crowd, she's concerned about that. She's not going to reveal the name of the dam. She just wants it proved that he is by Birdstone. Ann is not in the business of "making money." She just needs help with some of the exceptional costs. For example she had budgeted $300 for the Vet visit to evaluate Spider's condition and the bill was $799. She and Chris pay for the majority of the care of the horses at Mea Ola's Place from their own pockets.

• From Mea Ola's Place facebook page: "Spider update: here are some pics from today. [I will include a few here--VA] You can see from his expression and his eyes, that he is a sweet and gentle soul. We are weighing all options for treatment carefully. His meds came, so tomorrow we will see what results we get from sedating him where he is. All options, including a sling, are still on the table."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And here are Ann and Spider sharing some love.

• Friday update:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Spider made the paper today! Thank you, Kathy Young, VV Daily Press, and all of you that are sharing his story. Maybe he does need a super hero name...Spider-Man it is!
    Please continue to share Spider's story. We have a long road ahead to help him heal his fractured pelvis. We are believing for another miracle here at Mea Ola's Place. After all, it is "The Year of the Horse"! Stay tuned for updates and remember you can help us by watching Spider on camera at: (he is currently on cam 3) http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=meaola
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

and another posting:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Mea Ola's Place I had a long talk with Dr.Sam the other night. I am concerned that without being tied, in a small stall, he would cast himself and risk REALLY huring himself. But, if he is tied, he may try to lie down, since he likes to sleep that way almost all night, and he could get hurt, even break his neck, if he tries that. We were considereing cross tying him with inner tubes so they would stretch in an event like that. There are risks with the sling, too. So, Dr. Sam asked me to give him a few days to research everything and we will weigh all options. Today, I gave him his first dose of sedative. We will have to play with the dose for that, too. If he is too drunk to eat, or drink, then we risk colic. Well, we will risk that with him being still, too. No easy decisions here. I would appreciate eyes on him today, and as we go forward. I have his camera up, but I do get busy. The numbers to get ahold of us if you see him in trouble, are on the camera page. His knee bandage is off for a while today Link to camera (He is on cam 3)http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=meaola
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

and this one, so poignant:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Mea Ola's Place LOL, it appears he is going to need more meds for sedation than he got this morning! Poor baby, he wants to play so bad!
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Someone in a comment posted this cool idea: " A vet with a horse with a broken pelvis told me they used stacked hay bales on either side of the horse to prevent laying down or to much movement."

and I added this one: "This makes really good sense, and the "walls" have the extra advantage of being edible."

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    If they use the hay bales as a protective "pod" for Spider for several weeks...they better have back up hay bales ready or he'll eat his way out of confinement. :oD

But I think it's a great idea to use hay bales.
  • Yeah, I do, too. They'd probably smell good to him also.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I do, too. They'd probably smell good to him also.
    And...If it's bedding hay...he'll think he is lying down vertically in his stall. :oD

Seriously, I recall one of my installers who was so tired and exhausted actually fell asleep standing upright leaning on a mattress which was propped up on a wall during an installation.

• That's pretty funny, but I can top that. I once fell asleep while teaching a class. I was sitting down, but I was reading a sentence in an exercise to the class--something I did to make sure everyone was reading at the same speed and so that they could hear how the words were pronounced (the students were all speakers of other languages). Right in the middle of the sentence I fell asleep, but I continued to talk and I completed the sentence with words that were not on the page and made no sense. In fact they were so senseless and off the wall that they woke me up instantly. I said, "Wow, where did that come from? Sorry about that," and I reread the sentence correctly. That was when I was very sleep-deprived from correcting papers and making tests, etc. and commuting 2 hours a day and teaching full time. I later discovered a medication I was taking made me drowsy, so it's a miracle I stayed awake on my homeward commute. It wasn't easy.
  • Whoa...medications, if not compatible to you are indeed dangerous. I had a medication prescribed to me and it gave me vertigo symptoms when I turned my head... like when driving. I immediately contacted my doctor and he told me to stop the medication asap and gave me something else to take instead.

But what amazes me...was when you continued "talking" while you were sleeping in front of your class. Were you reciting Shakespeare? Your sleep incident is a treasure! :oD
  • No, I was dreaming something about sheep and so that's what I said, something or other "sheep" which made no sense because the sentence had nothing to do with sheep. I had no idea the medicine was causing me to be drowsy until recently when my doctor switched medicines and no matter how sleep deprived I have been, I have never been in danger of falling asleep while driving. When I was commuting, I thought the drowsiness was from being sleep-deprived.
  • Main thing you survived this medication incident without getting into a car accident. That was really, really dangerous! Someone was definitely watching over you!
  • Yes, I have thought so for many a year, and I am very grateful.
  • Saturday morning Spider update from Mea Ola's facebook page.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Spider update:So, Chris is so smart!...We are going to put Spider in the horse trailer! We will have the horse trailer in the driveway where I can be with him easily and he won't get distracted by other horses running around. We will wedge him in there with hay bales and we will have a camera on him. This is plan "A"...and hopefully it will work! Windows can be down if it gets hot and he will be protected from the rain/cold...etc. Prayers and fingers crossed, please! We should have him in there by tonight. We have to build a ramp and put extra rings in there for ties because he will be turned backwards. [emphasis mine--va]
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Didn't someone on the Forum here suggest this, too? I hope it works, but I'm kind of sorry he won't get to be near Rowdy. Oh well, time for them to get acquainted when Spider is healed and able to play.
  • How long do you have to keep spider still and upright? Tough routine. Good luck. K
  • Dr. Sam wants him kept still for 3 weeks. They haven't got him started yet. Chris has to build a ramp to get him in and out of the trailer easily. It's risky however they do it. I'm just hoping Spider is as intelligent as he seems to be. The way he tips his feed bin over so the crumbs and slivers of hay come out of the edges and then uses his teeth to stand the bin back upright and then dips his head and nose in to glean those loosened crumbs indicates high intelligence and problem-solving, I think.

There's a detailed description of his medical issue with the fracture and partial healing that has been ongoing for a very long time on Mea Ola's facebook page. I highly recommend it to you if you are interested in that sort of thing. I find it fascinating. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/OperationHorseRescue. It's the first post on the page as of 11 AM PST.
  • Question...if Spider is "reversed" into the trailer (and I understand why)...I hope Chris has an access door on the otherside to remove poop, etc. I'm sure they do. :oD
    Glad they are using the trailer concept. The trailer walls are solid so no need further construction elsewhere in the property and will enable a good "outer shell" for secure packing of the hay bales. It will be like a cocoon for Spider to rehab in...and if they need to take him to the vet, the trailer can easily be moved. Great idea Chris!
  • Evidently it's a two-horse trailer, so they can get to the other end. Ann says there is enough room on the bales of hay for her to sleep if need be. My worry is that he will lie straight down by just collapsing his legs and they would have a hard time getting him up without some sort of a sling to lift him because, although young, he's bound to be very heavy. But maybe they would just move the hay and he would get up on his own. The whole business has a lot of unknowns. I guess some of those questions will be answered once Spider is in there. A good thing is that he will be out of the cold and wind. It's very cold here now--by our standards, and probably yours in Hawaii, too, and there is a strong north wind . They plan to keep one of the back doors open in the trailer. It will be facing the house. They plan to park their 5th-wheel trailer next to the horse trailer so they can be right there on the spot if need be. I'm hoping that Spider, a seemingly patient and mellow guy, will just stay calm and quiet and endure this as just one other crazy human thing. He'll be away from all the other horses, so won't have to see them running around and having fun. It seems he gets all excited and prancy when he sees them running. It will be a long time before he'll be allowed to join them in those games. He'll need several months of stall rest after the initial immobile therapy. Poor Spider. Hard for a horse with the blood of racehorses in his veins.
  • Thanks for keeping us updated VA! How sweet that Ann is willing to sleep right with him if that's what he needs. I'll be keeping all of them in my thoughts and prayers!
  • Spider is safely in his trailer quarters and so far, so good. He is such a sensible horse.

Here is video of his arrival at his new quarters. Note how he stops when he realizes this is a horse transportation thing of some kind. He turns to Ann, then to look at Chris to the right and then he seems to say, "Oh, do I have to leave already? I really liked it here. I wish I could stay. I tried to be a good boy. But if you want me to go in there, I will." Very poignant moment. But he doesn't argue; he is so good.

Actually, it's kind of sad. I hope he soon realizes that he's not going to have to leave. He'll be even more thrilled and grateful than ever.

• Here are some pictures from this morning, showing Spider in his trailer-quarters. This is to keep him from moving so that his partially healed pelvic fracture can heal correctly.

Beautiful, sad eyes. So trusting, and thinks he has to leave.

• Aww, he does have sweet eyes. I hope he heals fast so he can get out of there.