Worthy Horse Rescue Organizations and Current Needs and Updates

Comments

• Heal quickly pretty boy!
  • Can they walk him around at all? Stall rest is so hard on horse. How do they keep him relaxed or for better descriptors, sound in terms of chiropractictically sound or body work? You might to get some volunteers for this. May keep him comfortable. K
  • He is being kept as immobile as possible, ideally for 3 weeks, but at least for 7 to 10 days. It's because his fractured pelvis is only halfway healed and half of it is not joined or didn't form a union, so it's not healed. They have him slightly sedated and the trailer is parked where he can look into the living room and see the people and they can look out and see him. Ann is giving him massages several times a day, mostly on his legs and shoulders and hips and upper legs. He'll rest one leg at a time as he sleeps, but hopefully this won't move his pelvis too much. They're keeping a sharp eye on him. I think as long as he uses all 4 legs fairly consistently he won't develop foot problems. He's still young, so not his full adult weight yet, and his bones should heal quickly. They are also going to use shock wave therapy to break up the scar tissue that is preventing the bone from uniting. This treatment has worked on other horses, so they have high hopes. Spider is a mellow boy and seems to have an enduring and patient personality. He's standing quietly now. The trick is going to be getting him through the night because he likes to lie down at night. They're hoping he will stand quietly with just being in a confined space; otherwise they'll have to tie him. So they can't walk him around or let him lie down for at least the 7 to 10 days. He started on this sometime this morning.
  • So glad to hear that he is a good patient. That makes such a difference.
  • It does. It hasn't broken his spirit at all and this morning he being a bit antsy. He whinnies at times. Ann came out and gave him some hay. There's a visitor there, too, and the two of them have been visiting him frequently. When he whinnies it's like he's saying, "Aren't we there yet?" He's tried chewing on his tie-up rope/lead. I guess that's step one of his escape plan. hahaha He's so cute

Last night, I guess in mental telepathic sympathy, Rowdy did not sleep lying down much, but stood up most of the night, dozing. Several of us noted that, as he usually spends most of the night lying down. Sweet Rowdy.

By the way, Dr. Sam is okay with Spider moving a little in the confines of his "cell" to help his circulation. So he's been shifting side to side and moving back and forth a very little. I had been a bit worried about that. So I guess things are going okay so far. One more hour to go and it will be 24 hours, one day down and 6 or 9 or 20 to go, depending on what the total amount of time is that he needs to stay almost still.
  • Here's an update from Ann:
    "Spider is doing great! I am so proud of him. I think he may be enjoying this a little. He loves his massages and all of the attention he is getting. He has been perfect so far. We will try to teach him to paint to pass the time tomorrow. Betty and Chris picked up some supplies for us today. That should be messy and fun!"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Another comment from Ann: 4:52pm Nov 19
    "He is very smart. He turned around once, early on...but he knew that was a bad idea and hasn't even thought about it since."
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited November 2014
    Spider had to lie down to sleep at around 1:40 AM. Ann and Chris decided to let him sleep rather than get him up only to have him go down again from being tired. At least he was in a good spot they said for getting up and he was not hanging. He got back up again after about half an hour or so. They'll call Dr. Sam in the morning and see what he says. The poor boy is still very young and not yet ready to sleep soundly standing up, I guess. I didn't notice he had got back up so soon because the cam picture froze.
    edited November 2014
    Update for Spider morning of 11-20-14: : "Spider update: We have to go to plan B as Spider went down 3 times last night. It is just too dangerous and risky in there since he wants to lie down to sleep. Will update with the next plan a little later. He is going back to his stall until we can make another one for him today."

I think the poor boy doesn't know how to sleep standing up since his pelvis and hip area were probably too painful to allow standing sleep from his infancy to the present, so he has to lie down to sleep. He obviously knows that it's important to his wonderful new people that he should stand and not move around much, and he really tried hard to do that. But after 30 hours, I think he just HAD to sleep, so he lay down. He got up again after 30 or 40 minutes, again indicating that he knew he wasn't supposed to lie down. I think if they let him have room to lie down at night, he would stand in one place during the day and then just lie down to sleep and not get up until morning. He'll need a bigger sleeping area, though to allow lying down without risking his getting cast or otherwise trapped which could cause further injury. Apparently the non union fracture can still heal, but it will take longer.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    Can they put a couple of hay bundles under his belly so he can at least relieve or rest his legs a bit when he wants to sleep at night...but not allowing him to lie down? Something like a golf observers stool where they are standing but leaning on a peg-like stool to rest the legs...I don't know what you call those things I see at golf tournaments...sorry.
  • Update for Spider morning of 11-20-14: : "Spider update: We have to go to plan B as Spider went down 3 times last night. It is just too dangerous and risky in there since he wants to lie down to sleep. Will update with the next plan a little later. He is going back to his stall until we can make another one for him today."

I think the poor boy doesn't know how to sleep standing up since his pelvis and hip area were probably too painful to allow standing sleep from his infancy to the present, so he has to lie down to sleep. He obviously knows that it's important to his wonderful new people that he should stand and not move around much, and he really tried hard to do that. But after 30 hours, I think he just HAD to sleep, so he lay down. He got up again after 30 or 40 minutes, again indicating that he knew he wasn't supposed to lie down. I think if they let him have room to lie down at night, he would stand in one place during the day and then just lie down to sleep and not get up until morning. He'll need a bigger sleeping area, though to allow lying down without risking his getting cast or otherwise trapped which could cause further injury. Apparently the non union fracture can still heal, but it will take longer.
    I feel so bad for the poor baby. Hopefully they can help him.
  • Can they put a couple of hay bundles under his belly so he can at least relieve or rest his legs a bit when he wants to sleep at night...but not allowing him to lie down? Something like a golf observers stool where they are standing but leaning on a peg-like stool to rest the legs...I don't know what you call those things I see at golf tournaments...sorry.
    That's a good idea. My idea was if he wants to lie down couldn't they put hay bundles next to him so that if he want's to lie down he can, but if he has hay bundles pushed up against him he could be sitting up? I have no clue how that sounds, but if he lies down but not completely isn't that better for him cause then he isn't putting pressure on his organs. I found a picture to kind of help explain what I mean.
    If he lies down like this couldn't they push bundles up against him to keep him sitting up?
    https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608032103782157527&pid=15.1&P=0
    edited November 2014
    The horse in the picture looks to be lying sternally and that's what Spider was doing last night, but he wants to lie flat. He only sleeps on his right side. It's the left side of his pelvis near the hip that has the fracture. It's half-healed, but the bottom part of it has missing bone and is a non-union heal. His body produced a lot of scar tissue that filled in the missing place and that keeps the bone from uniting. They're going to be using shock-wave therapy to help break up that scar tissue. Then they need to keep him as quiet as possible to allow the bone to knit together and prevent more scar tissue from forming and getting in the way. He was pretty good for 30 hours in the trailer being restricted from much movement. I think he will be okay with restricted movement during the day once they get him in a smaller area but they're going to have to let him lie down at night so he can sleep. Dr. Sam says the bone can still heal; it will just take longer.

Your suggestions about the bales of hay or something under his tummy are probably not good for the same reason Dr. Sam doesn't want him in a sling. He needs to put stress on the pelvis by standing on his own feet and I think it would be impossible for him to lie down if he were blocked under his tummy by something. Could be scary, too.

Ann is still treating his infected tendon in his right knee. Poor boy has a lot of aiiments to deal with. His body has a lot of healing it's being asked to do, all at once. Guess we'll all have to be a little bit more patient. Spider is being very good about everything, to the best of his ability. He just needs to lie all the way down to sleep. I guess it's kind of like me. I have to sleep on my side. When I have been in the hospital following surgeries and forced to lie on my back, I just could not sleep. It was really stressful. That kind of stress prevents healing. So it will be better for Spider to be allowed to rest and sleep as he needs to do.
  • The horse in the picture looks to be lying sternally and that's what Spider was doing last night, but he wants to lie flat. He only sleeps on his right side. It's the left side of his pelvis near the hip that has the fracture. It's half-healed, but the bottom part of it has missing bone and is a non-union heal. His body produced a lot of scar tissue that filled in the missing place and that keeps the bone from uniting. They're going to be using shock-wave therapy to help break up that scar tissue. Then they need to keep him as quiet as possible to allow the bone to knit together and prevent more scar tissue from forming and getting in the way. He was pretty good for 30 hours in the trailer being restricted from much movement. I think he will be okay with restricted movement during the day once they get him in a smaller area but they're going to have to let him lie down at night so he can sleep. Dr. Sam says the bone can still heal; it will just take longer.

Your suggestions about the bales of hay or something under his tummy are probably not good for the same reason Dr. Sam doesn't want him in a sling. He needs to put stress on the pelvis by standing on his own feet and I think it would be impossible for him to lie down if he were blocked under his tummy by something. Could be scary, too.

Ann is still treating his infected tendon in his right knee. Poor boy has a lot of aiiments to deal with. His body has a lot of healing it's being asked to do, all at once. Guess we'll all have to be a little bit more patient. Spider is being very good about everything, to the best of his ability. He just needs to lie all the way down to sleep. I guess it's kind of like me. I have to sleep on my side. When I have been in the hospital following surgeries and forced to lie on my back, I just could not sleep. It was really stressful. That kind of stress prevents healing. So it will be better for Spider to be allowed to rest and sleep as he needs to do.
    I see that makes more sense now.
    edited November 2014
    Spider really likes sleeping lying down. After his sleepless Wednesday night standing in the trailer, Thursday night he slept pretty soundly, lying down in the middle of his stall/corral. And during that night he made a major change and actually slept on his LEFT side for the first time anyone had seen him do since he came to CA and was boarding at the other place. We were afraid he wouldn't be able to get up from that side, so someone called Ann and she went out and spent some cuddling time with him. He then stood up, all on his own, from the left side. It was awkward and one of his legs was weak, but he did it again last night with no probs. This is great progress. Also, last night he rolled over from his right side to his left side. This suggests to me that he's not a horse that would panic if he got "cast." He would just roll over to the other side.

He put on quite an entertaining display for us last night. He got to playing with his small black food dish, gripping it in his teeth and flinging it up and down and side to side with wild head movements. Then he proceeded to "kill" it. This was hilarious to watch as he dragged and kicked it with a foreleg and even pounced on it with both forelegs, smashing it. Really cute. I guess it runs in the family, because I found a video of Mine That Bird playing with a ball. Also entertaining and funny to see. LOL
    I posted it on the Funny videos thread.

Someone called Ann and tattled on him, worried that he might hurt himself. She went out and took his "toy" away. What a spoil sport. LOL. I didn't get up in time this morning to see it, but some people saw him playing with a ball this morning. I think it was one of Rowdy's.

Spider seems to be gifted at problem-solving. If people can have different levels of intelligence, this must be true of other animals, too. I think Spider is extremely intelligent for a horse. Wow.

edited November 2014
    I believe that was the scenario I described of Spider in MareStare. It was so funny watching him play with his black food dish like a soccer ball. He definitely needs to keep his mind active with so much intelligence or he will be very bored indeed! I hope it can be something that doesn't cause more damage to his pelvis however. He needs to heal so he can really play. Maybe Anne can teach him sign language or spelling/math instead?? How about if they give him a paint brush and paper so he can do a MoNeigh...it's not strenous on his legs and he could help support Mea Ola with his creations on paper too!
  • Funny you should mention painting. They've already bought the supplies and were planning to get him started on it the next day, but that night he lay down in the trailer 3 times so they realized they'd have to go with Plan B. This was going to be creating a smaller stall in the hospital stall which is 24 X 24 feet--too much room. It's where he is now. But then yesterday he got so excited watching the other horses romping in the arena that they knew that location wouldn't work. So, on to Plan C; they're trying to come up with a place to put him where his movements can be restricted, but he can't see or hear the other horses. The trailer was in the front of the house and Ann kept a radio on during the day to muffle the sounds of the other horses in the back. They're trying to come up with some viable alternative accommodation now. The garage isn't good because they'd have to keep the door closed because with it open, the wind would blow in and get the straw and shavings flying all over the place, and with the door closed he'd get depressed from lack of sunlight. But I keep seeing people going past Rowdy's stall into the garage, so they must be doing something either in there, or beyond in front of the house. The little twit is creating problems because he's so clever.
    edited November 2014
    Yes! Teach Spider how to paint would be a good past time when they have to keep him confined in a small area to heal his pelvic (Ilium) bone(s)! If one of the volunteers can help in that area...rotate the paper/canvas and help him with the paint brushes! I can see it now! The latest creation from Spider now on sale at Mea Ola!

I hope they can resolve the issue of him needing to sleep laying down at night. Perhaps they can use the trailer and somehow attach an overhead harness system to prevent him from laying down at night...along with using bales of hay to make the enclosure narrow (almost like the starting gate for racing perhaps...I stood in one and it's really narrow...between 24"-28"wide...I think that's what I measured) at Churchill Downs.

As an alternative to painting (as at night)...Music! Perhaps hang some bells in front of him so he can also start playing music...or one of those electric piano keyboards that he can play by touching it with his muzzle. I know it might be noisy at night...but at least no one has to be there if he feels the urge to compose. With an electric piano keyboard...I think you can adjust the volume for night mode.
    edited November 2014
    I love the music composition idea. hahaha. I'll pass it along. I think we've pretty well established that poor Spider cannot sleep standing up the way most horses can. He seems not to have learned that, perhaps because of pain in his hip and legs. But Dr. Sam is okay with that. If Spider can be kept from bucking, frisking, trotting, running, and bouncing, etc.but is allowed to lie down for sleeping, the treatment can still work; it will just take longer.
  • Spider is trying to kill his black food bin again. He's got it in his teeth and flinging it around. What a funny boy.
  • Maybe you could rename him Killer Spider?? Just joking of course! :oD
    But I mentioned this a long while back...Kukailimoku would be a good Hawaiian name...God of War!
    Let me get that black feed bin...GRRR! :oD

Kukailimoku (or Ku for short)
    From the Bishop Museum

Perhaps Koa (Warrior) Spider (Kalanakula means tarantula)
    Koa Kalanakula
  • LOL. That head is wearing one of my son's favorite expressions. He would never smile in pictures and sometimes when commanded to do so, he would make that face instead. Doubt I have time to search through all the albums to try to find one of him doing that. hahaha, He's not so much a tarantula, though. more of a scorpion--the ones who sting themselves. He's a Scorpio.
  • I wrote the above post hours ago, but I keep forgetting to click on Post Comment. Duh.
  • Latest news on Spider:

This is the introduction to the post about Spider that I put on my facebook page Timeline; "The miracle has already started for Spider. For the past two nights, he has been able to lie on his LEFT side for the first time anyone has seen since his arrival in CA. He's thrilled to be at Mea Ola's Place and clearly the love surrounding him there is having its beneficial effect on him. The Shock Wave Therapy he will be getting will help his fractured pelvis to finally heal. Just from observing him on the Live Cam, I can see that he is an extremely intelligent being with a joie de vivre that is just delightful to watch and quite contagious. He will be a wonderful therapy horse. His patience and gentle enduring of his treatments and forced immobility are remarkable in such a youngster. He is only about 20 months old and he's hilariously playful. Who knew horses could and would play like puppies and small children? If you can help this precious boy by donating, please do. If not, send prayers that the miracle continues." This is on my facebook page. I'm not soliciting any money here, but please share. Vet care is (understandably) expensive.

Then here is the part from Mea Ola. There's a picture, but I already posted it earlier on this thread.

Saving Spider
    Here he is...fractured pelvis and all. The odds are stacked against him, but we believe in miracles. If you have been following us, you know we have had miracle after miracle. Another one coming up!

petcaring.com

I think the link above doesn't work, but you can cut and paste it in your web browser. It has a good description of Spider's issues and is written by Ann.
  • Spider is playing with his food dish again tonight, with occasional breaks for a snack from the hay bin. If you have Mare Stare, he's on Live Cam and so funny to watch. At the moment, he's eating hay. however.