Worthy Horse Rescue Organizations and Current Needs and Updates

Comments

• Well I posted it on my Timeline if anyone with facebook wants to see it there. It's here: https://www.facebook.com/virginia.hagler The funny part is Ann's voice saying, "Oh yeah. I've got to walk right out there. I'm so excited," in the most unexcited, deadpan monotone. LOL
    I can't access today's posting on that link...only video dated 11/28/14. But last night I kept checking up on Spider and you could really see heavy winds blowing because of his tail/mane flying throughout the night. There was an incident last night that really startled Spider and he was acting up...probably something fell down nearby and made a lot of noise. The MS webcam was also spastic and cut out several times. Spider didn't lie down to sleep very much at all last night too. I left my time/notes in MS for Ann if she checks on that thread.
  • Yeah, I was watching, too, and noticing the tail blowing. I think the wind upsets all the horses. Stuff flies around out there. She said they get gusts up to 60 mph, which surprised me because I thought we only got those winds "below the passes and canyons," as the weathermen always say.

Cal State, San Bernardino is right at the very end of the Cajon Pass. The wind almost always blew there but when the Santa Anas came, sometimes it got so bad, they closed the campus. Metal parts of air conditioners and other duct work would fly off roofs and create terrible hazards, trees lost limbs, or just toppled over without warning. One time I couldn't get up the hill from our building to the parking lot without stopping every few steps to turn around, back to the wind, to breathe.

Did you see Ann grooming Spider a bit ago. It was cute when there were 3 people just on the other side of his pipe fence, all talking to each other and he kept saying, "Me. Talk to ME!" He had to get attention from Chris, then more from Ann. He's so cute.
  • LOL! Yes...I've been watching Spider get his daily grooming for the past several days now and you can tell he loves the spa treatment and attention. Too bad they don't have sound on the webcam...love to hear the music Spider listens to. I am still waiting on when they will start "teaching" him how to paint! That will be soo cool to watch! :oD
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited November 2014
    Chris is doing something that has Spider very scared. Probably using an electric drill or screwdriver. Ann is trying to keep him calm. They may be installing a water container because last night Spider pretty much ran out of water, probably from tipping it while working at the hay net which was right next to it.. Chris seems to have finished. He let Spider smell the drill or the tool, very smart move. Now Ann is showing him the new container. These people really know what they are doing.
  • Chris is doing something that has Spider very scared. Probably using an electric drill or screwdriver. Ann is trying to keep him calm. They may be installing a water container because last night Spider pretty much ran out of water, probably from tipping it while working at the hay net which was right next to it.. Chris seems to have finished. He let Spider smell the drill or the tool, very smart move. Now Ann is showing him the new container. These people really know what they are doing.
    Is it that slate grey tray on the upper left of the webcam? I missed that particular installation. Aww Spider is wondering where everybody went right now...he loves his people friends for sure. But last night was really scary for him and he ate all of his hay. It was interesting to see him "try" to sleep standing up as long as he could but went back to eating instead...I guess eating is his form of stress relief...Just like people! LOL!
  • Yeah. We all commented on how nervous he was and how he was really working the hay net. We post info on a private page, but it's a facebook page or I'd recommend their letting you join. But I see that Ann does sometimes check the Mare Stare msg. board. Last night they weren't responding to us either. I guess they just observed the messages left on voice mail, etc. It was Ann's birthday. They may have been having a private celebration. Hmm. Chris had stayed home and horse-sat while Ann spent the day with a gal-friend at a salon/spa in Orange County.

The tray thing is indeed in the corner, secured to the solid wall and the fully visible pipe side. It's not going to tip over. I guess they haven't put water in it yet. I think the wind has died down there now because the trees seen beyond Rowdy's paddock are not moving much.
  • That tray thing now installed in the corner of spider's stall is not a water holder, it's a food dish for his pellets and meds. The stuff he used to get in the black dish now in a fixed dish he can't play with. Guess they don't want him stomping stuff and getting too rambunctious. They're taking all his fun away. LOL
  • That tray thing now installed in the corner of spider's stall is not a water holder, it's a food dish for his pellets and meds. The stuff he used to get in the black dish now in a fixed dish he can't play with. Guess they don't want him stomping stuff and getting too rambunctious. They're taking all his fun away. LOL
    Yeah...I saw him getting excited around 4:00p Mea Ola time today...Not sure if he saw the other horses playing or if he smelled food for dinner! He was bucking a couple of times in his small stall. Yesterday, wednesday midday, Spider was very agitated...I think it might have been pesky flies in his stall...like the one that keeps covering the webcam at night...blocking our view of Spider...grrr!

I hope they spray fly repellent on him if flies are bothering him...cause he was bucking and tossing his head like a crazy man yesterday.
  • It could have been pouring down rain. We had some torrential spells.

Tonight everyone is agitated because Ann and Chris went out to dinner and a surprise for Ann. The horses know when they are supposed to get food and have their stalls cleaned, and it's not happening at the right time. There are no people at the ranch, only horses.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2014
    Hope other webcam viewers will keep an eye on Spider/Rowdy to make sure nothing "unusual" happens as back-up for Ann, Chris and others at the stables. :oD

• They're back home and the horses are now being fed, to their joy. Here's the surprise Ann got from Chris, I guess belated birthday presents:

Ann says: So, for my surprise...I got a new jacket pictures here. All of mine are stained or ripped..lol. A new pair of blingy jeans AND Hannah Kline....check out my very first pair of new dress boots!!!! ( She is gonna be jealous!) [Hannah is her second daughter.]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ann reported earlier that she and Chris art going to take a trip. It will be her first time (except for one or two overnights) away from the horses since she got them 3 years ago. They'll be leaving on the 12th, flying to Texas where they will visit Chris's son and grandkids, and then Ann's oldest daughter and grandson, and then she'll be helping Hanna at a horse show where Hanna is working, and then Payton, her son, will be joining them, and the whole family will be together and will celebrate an early Christmas. She's been conducting training exercises for all the volunteers she has lined up to keep all the horses and donkey, dogs, and cat happy at Mea Ola's Place for the week they are gone. She's worried about it, of course, but I told her she can always go on MareStare to see how Rowdy and Spider are doing. hahaha
  • Good for her!...she deserves a break from all her hardwork with her 4-legged friends. Her 4-legged friends are very, very fortunate to be at Mea Ola indeed!
  • Good news from Mea Ola's place. I asked if it was just me, or did Spider's left hip look less sunken than it had before the enforced restriction in movement. I pointed out how difficult it is to tell from an overhead (cam) view. And here is Ann's reply: "We all agree that his hip looks more even...me, chris, volunteers....it is exciting." And one of the administrators said, "I sure think Spider looks so much better now...he gets up and down easier and his hips move better when he walks." So he is showing good improvement. Yeay.

• In other "good" news, four stray dogs have showed up in the last couple of weeks, one of them obviously lactating. One of the volunteers managed to track her when she left, which she has been doing every day, and tonight Ann rescued a puppy. She's going to look for the others when it's daylight. Here's the mother (bitch) and the puppy.

• Tonight Ann left the door to Rowdy's stall open, so his cameras are on MareStare tonight as we see how he does. She's trying it for a few nights to see if it will work because she thinks the volunteer who will be staying on the ranch while she and Chris are gone may have trouble locking him in his stall at night. So far so good. He was sleeping in his usual spot in front of the blue door in his stall. About 10:15, he rolled over a few times and then got up and went outside. He stayed out for about 10 minutes, then came back into his stall where he ate some hay. He just went back out. He's getting to be a big boy now. He's going back in but is in the doorway eating hay. Spider is lying flat out on his right side.
  • Thanks for the updates! Ann really is an angel to take in all of those animals!
  • Yes, and apparently she's been doing it since she was a little kid.

On a lighter note, she named two of the recent stray dog additions Rufus and Dufus. LOL

• Rowdy is much less patient with the idea of eating his yogurt and pellets from a spoon. He'd rather just plunge his face into the bowl and slurp it up from the bowl himself. He's definitely getting more independent. "Mom! I can do it myself. Let me eat it myself." What a cute fellow. This was posted on facebook, but is from the MareStare cam. Still it was on facebook and is from the Mea Ola cam, so I'm putting it here.

• Ann put a blanket, or coat, on Spider tonight. He wasn't happy about that at first and seems a bit unsure right now. She's walking him around the stall to show him he's okay. The blanket seems to be the kind that ties on. It has a flap that comes down over the tail. Fancy. It's going to get cold there according to the forecast she's following, but others don't predict below freezing weather. But he may get to like it because of his pelvic issues. Hope he is able to lie down and get up okay with the thing on. It will bear watching tonight, I guess. She only wants a volunteer named Kayla to get into the stall with Spider, so hope all goes well because Kayla has to take a final exam somewhere tomorrow morning. The weather could be a problem, too, because Lisa, who plans to spend several days at Mea Ola while Ann and Chris are gone, lives in Big Bear, which is in the mountains and they're expecting snow there while the rest of us get rain.

Rowdy has started a new routine. After his stall is mucked out and new straw is put down, he goes in and lies down in the clean straw and rolls in it. Very clever colt to figure that out without really getting to observe other horses rolling.

Gasston now has a windbreak and a shelter (roof) to get under. It's right down against the rear fence of Rowdy's paddock.

Spider is trying to figure out if he can pull his blanket off. I think maybe he's not used to wearing one. He did get it crooked because the tail flap has gone to the right and his tail is showing out the left. Probably just as well because he just pooped. hahaha
  • Ann decided to remove Spider's blanket since he just wasn't happy with it.

Ann and Chris got off on time this morning and headed to the airport at Las Vegas. Their plane is scheduled to depart at 11:40. She didn't say if that PST or MST.

The volunteers from Big Bear are so dedicated that they took a hotel room down below the mts. Hope they have someone up there to take care of their own horses. LOL. They are the ones who adopted Grammos. It's expected to snow in the mts. today.

Rowdy is not happy with all this rain. It stopped for a few moments earlier and he ran around his paddock through the puddles a little and then retreated back to his warm cozy stall again.

It looks to me that Spider's left hip has evened out a bit again. Ann reported yesterday that his pain meds have been halved in the daytime and yet he seems to be getting around pretty well.

• Well today is day 4 of Ann and Chris's vacation. They are all at Ft. Benning in Georgia now with the whole family together for an early Christmas celebration. If things work out, Ann wants to go, on Wednesday, to Fox Haven Farm in Florida to meet the owners there. She says it's on her bucket list. This is one of my favorite MareStare farms and one I really admire. They keep their mares in a herd, outdoors, with the stallion in charge. The foaling is done outdoors in a special foaling pasture with a shelter that is bedded with straw, etc. I believe they lost two foals last summer, including one that had really taken Rachel's fancy. I was so excited about this that I posted on the private facebook page and Fox Haven Farm "liked" my comment. I hope they can do that.
  • Meanwhile back at Mea Ola's Place, Spider is being a naughty boy. He doesn't want to be tied so his stall can be cleaned. He was also frisking and bucking in his restricted area today. Funny guy.

Most exciting news though concerns Tilly. She's the one who had colic about a month ago and they had to sedate her to treat her because of her feral nature. See p. 3 of this thread. Well today they had a teenaged boy helping with the horse care and he and Tilly struck an instant connection and seem to have bonded. One of the other people there today took these cell phone pictures because no one will believe it. It's quite amazing. As far as I know, no one has been able to touch her until today.

Ann is going to be thrilled.
    edited December 2014
    Wow! That is just amazing! Talk about mutual energy these two have in common. I hope this volunteer comes more often to Mea Ola for Tilly's sake. She seems to be so relaxed with this fellow indeed-she seems to be smiling!...I think he's opened a door for Tilly and the rest of the Mea Ola family!

There was a reason that Ann went on this vacation break and this is one good example! :oD
  • Good point. Kayla has brought him a few times and he wants to come a lot more. She says he comes from a large family, so learning to be a horse trainer would be a good thing for him. She says he's also a very gentle kid. What's even more amazing about the instant connection with Tilly is that she just walked right up to him. They've estimated Tilly as being 3 to 5 years old. She may have been born on a farm and been around a young man as a foal and then was turned out either in a pasture or to fend for herself, or maybe with her mother. She herself was thought to be pregnant when she was rescued, but she may have had a foal before then who had not been weaned too long before so that she had a bag and they thought she was pregnant.
    edited December 2014
    Awww. I think this young male volunteer might have brought back good memories for Tilly when she was young. With his instant connection with Tilly, this volunteer might be a natural horse whisperer and the experience at Mea Ola would be a great foundation for him to pursue horse training indeed. A good win-win situation for both he and Tilly I would say.

LOL! When we were at the KHP...my husband was mistaken by a trio of Belgium Draft horses out in the field... When we approached...they all came running to him when he arrived at their paddock...like he was their old buddy. LOL!...gave me a chance to sneak them some sliced apples too...shhh!