Worthy Horse Rescue Organizations and Current Needs and Updates

Comments

• LOL.

• Tilly got to engage with Zach again today. Really sweet pictures taken by Kayla, who is doing the major horse care, feeding, stall-cleaning, etc.

These are two different pictures. Both amazing considering Tilly's former behavior.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2014
    Yep...I would say it was love at first sight for Tilly indeed when they met each other the other day! I hope Zach comes down more often for sure. Sweet photos...you can tell Tilly is really enamored by Zach! Look at her eyes...LOVE...LOVE!
  • Nothing like a little horse slobber to make you feel loved.
  • Yes, and obviously the feeling is mutual. Zach embodies the expression, "grinning from ear to ear." Gottal love it. Tilly wouldn't allow anyone to even touch her. The halter was put on while she was under sedation for treatment of colic. She was feral, and rescued from a feed lot. She has been at Mea Ola's since February and getting tamer, but still not 100% trusting of humans.
  • Those pix of Tilly and Zach just make me smile :)))))
  • Sooo sweet! :D
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2014
    Here's a video of Tilly and Babs in turnout not long after they had finally progressed to the point where Ann felt it safe to turn them out. She has to guide them from and to their stalls/corrals since they are unhaltered and won't "lead.". They are stalled next to each other and have been since Feb, but in turnout, they are together. Babs is more fearful around people and older, so it's slower going with her; she's the chestnut. Tilly had been doing better, but the connection with Zach is a real breakthrough. Film was shot around 15 October 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=722201731203732&set=vb.233955396695037&type=2&permPage=1
  • I love watching horses kick up their heels and just be a horse!
  • Rowdy has been locked in his stall tonight because he has been a naughty boy and has been digging a trench along the edge of his paddock. They're not sure if he's eating muddy sand or not, so better lock him in the stall. lol, little twit.
  • Aha...so that's why when Rowdy left his stall last night, as he stood just outside his stall, his hindquarters was higher than his forelegs..I couldn't see in the dark that he had dug a trench. I did see him pawing the ground several times just a few steps outside his stall...he did bend over, but was more like sniffing the ground rather than eating the dirt. From his body language when I observed him, he seemed to be debating whether or not to step out to his open paddock...I thought he was pawing the ground due to frustration as the ground might have been wet/muddy outside since it rained the night before..idk.
    edited December 2014
    Followers on MareStare of Rowdy and Spider: Ann and Chris are now driving home from the airport at Las Vegas and they anticipate arriving home a little after 5, in case you don't want to miss the reunion. http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=meaola

• Awhile back, PG, you asked if Sassy was black or dark bay. Here are some pictures I took of her on October 30. What do you think? The first picture turned out to be a closer close-up than I had planned. LOL.

Definitely black, right? But here is a picture from Mea Ola's website;

I can see some brown in that official "potrait" above. The picture below may be the definitive answer, however. Here she is as a foal.

• To me, Sassy looks like a black from her more current photos. The other photos were probably taken when she still had her foal coat on. Isn't she more than 1 years old now...going on 2? I think the best person to give a more definitive answer would be lauraj_cincinnati as she's an expert in coat genetics.

Her mama, Mea Ola is a b/w tobiano paint so that might give some hint to Sassy's coat genetics. Mama is heterozygous for a paint coat for sure. I wonder where lauraj_cincinnati is tonight?
  • I don't knos. A lot of people are probably attending Christmas functions or shopping. Sassy turned two on may 14th. She sure looks black to me, too, even in the nostrils and places where dark bays will show some brown, and when I saw her in August she also looked black and we know how brown Zenyatta gets in the summer but how black she looks a lot of the rest of the year. Next time I see Sassy I'll examine her more carefully.
    edited December 2014
    Hah! Look right now at Spider!...He's showing he's a Male! :oD It was at 11:27p Mea Ola time on Sat 12/20/14. If you didn't look quickly, you missed it! :oP
  • Guess I missed it. Was he letting it all hang out, so to speak?

I'm all caught up to date on the Bringing Up Baby thread. Whew.
  • Guess I missed it. Was he letting it all hang out, so to speak?
    Yep. But as I was typing in MareStare...I think he heard me and tucked it all in. :oP
    edited December 2014
    Which reminds me of California Chrome's propensity to do that before a big race. hahaha. Rowdy does it, too sometimes. Funny boys. I think it's funny when they pee they move their tails to one side. Something only fillies and mares need to do. Which suggests to me that the default gender is female. Actually that is true scientifically, but the tail bit suggests it's also a behavioral default.

Poor Spider really has tired legs but just can't seem to lie down. He's tried several times, but it must really hurt because he just can't bring himself to bend those legs to get down. Hope he gets a good report at his next exam. He's trying to distract himself with his ball now and looking for grains in his feeder. Alas, no more hay already.
    edited December 2014
    Darn...I was talking to my tech support rep and was having him do a remote access so I couldn't get on the forum for about an hour just now...couldn't watch Spider/Rowdy either. Found out I was having issues with that new video about Old Friends and Silver Charm because the speed of my broadband was running slow and I kept getting pauses in the video due to buffering. It was not a software or video issue but with my connection speed...sigh! Have to contact them later. I'm too tired right now and I might not be able to watch for very long at Mea Ola.
  • I need to pack it in for the night, too. It's almost 3:40, but I'm printing out the picture page for my annual Christmas letter, and I have to wait for the ink to dry, which means spreading the papers out and I don't have much space to do that. My picture page has 4 pictures with Rowdy in them and 2 of my garden. LOL I still have to write the letter and print out the mailing labels and then put the labels on the envelopes, along with the return address labels and the stamps. Then I have to insert the letter/picture page and I usually write a little note on the cards. Whew. "See" you tomorrow. VA
    edited December 2014
    Christmas is a happy time of year for many...but when it comes down to doing mailings...that's the B_T_H part of the whole thing. I started earlier this month slowly mailing out cards, etc. from the farthest destination (Japan, etc.) and just finished working on local mailings on saturday. phew! I emphathize with you.

I was on the phone with my wireless support rep just now and couldn't watch Spider and Rowdy. I think I may have an issue with my modem or router. grrr! I think I'll put a few observations on marestare then hit the sack. zzzz!

• Here's an update on Spider posted today by Ann.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Update for all of you Spider fans and supporters:

Here is a night time camera shot of Spider. He was entertaining himself with his feed bucket. [Picture was taken in early November.]

He has now been locked in a 12 x 12 stall for a little over one month. He is tied for 3-5 hours a day. We had to barricade the outer perimeter of his stall, which is actually 24 x 24, with plywood, a little over 6 ft tall, so that he would not get excited with the coming and going of other horses. He has stolen our hearts with his will to get better. He takes all of this confinement and boredom in stride. We have toys for him, and he has a radio playing 10 hrs a day. We give him as much attention as we can.
    He has shown improvement! :)b He has been down on his left side several times (the broken side)...and he has also scratched behind his ear with his left hind leg! We are on half-dose pain meds during the day now. But, the truth will be told with the next ultra sound in a few weeks..
    We tried teaching him to paint to help pass the time...but he is more interested in loving on us! However, we will continue to try.

Our Christmas wish for Spider is to see him run one day...and buck... like a healthy horse! Will you wish that for him this Christmas? He really deserves it! He has overcome so much in his short life...and at 18 months old, bred and born to run like the wind.,..he has never been able to use his body like he should have been able to.

Don't forget that you can check on him anytime by clicking this link. He is on camera 3 :http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=meaola
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

VA: It's free to join Mare Stare. Rowdy is also on streaming live cam at the same link. They are both on 24/7.

I"ll be at Mea Ola's Place tomorrow for Rowdy's 7-month birthday (Dec 23). Maybe you can see me on Mare Stare's Cam. I'll try to remember to wave. hahaha
  • Have fun at Mea Ola's tomorrow VA! Thanks for the updates!
  • Be sure to take lots of pictures, VA, and have fun! I'm jealous.