Worthy Horse Rescue Organizations and Current Needs and Updates

Comments

• LOL! I got to see you feeding yogurt to Rowdy today! :oD Too bad the webcam was slightly away from where you were feeding him. But could see you clearly right after yogurt time was over and Ann took the bowl away from you...leaving you with sticky fingers. I had to leave for a luncheon right after so I didn't get to see more of you on the webcam. You're a celebrity VA_in_CA!
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, quite a few of the Meaholics saw me and commented that Rowdy was a big boy now and could eat it out of the bowl himself. I responded that I know that, but Rowdy was kind enough to humor me and let me feed it to him because really, how often does one get to feed a horse with a spoon? That is just one of those unique things to do that not many people have the opportunity to do. I did let him eat quite a bit of it from the bowl though. I'll post the update below. Glad you got to see me on the webcam. I also got to be on Spider's Webcam, and I waved at the cam. hahaha.
  • First Person Update:

Today I went to Mea Ola's Place and got to wish Rowdy a happy 7-month birthday in person. Also met Spider, who is a very tall horse. He was actually able to peek out the open space between his shelter roof and the windbreak wall. This can be seen in the pictures I will attach. These were taken by Ann while Rowdy was out in the area used as Gasston's paddock. Rowdy loves to run and he was really doing it. While he got his exercise, Gasston was fenced into Rowdy's paddock. Rowdy was running full tilt with his hooves really pounding hard in the dirt. While doing this he was squealing like baby Coz did and also whinnying. He was having a blast. Afterwards he came over to the fence and stood by me and he was breathing very hard and fast and he was quite warm to the touch. He was definitely having a very happy birthday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In the next one, you can see-----here---the top of Spider's head peaking over the windbreak.

He's looking more like a horse every day.

Who's bigger now?

Best buds

edited December 2014
    And here is a terrific video of Rowdy celebrating his 7-month birthday. Wheeeheehee!
  • More updates tomorrow. Very tired now and have a headache from all that crisp, cool fresh air. Was so excited about going to visit Mea Ola's Place that I didn't get much sleep last night. LOL
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2014
    Wow! Rowdy has gotten much taller and he thinks he's a race horse...not a Morgan Ahh...he's becoming so handsome and like his squeeling whinnies! :oD

Sorry, off the forum for awhile...was watching that old rerun of Ben Hur on TV just now...the famous chariot race with Charlton Heston. I always wondered if any horses or humans were hurt or killed in filming that movie. I think I read somewhere that they used Lipizzaners for Ben Hur's beautiful white horses. Loved the night before scene when these horses showed their personalities in the tent...Antares, Altair, Rigel and Aldebaran. Heading back to watching the rest of this classic movie.

Anxious to see your new photos from today's visit. I saw that they tried to keep a Santa Hat on Spider but he was a restless boy. LOL!
    edited December 2014
    Off topic again...but I found a link about trivia info on the 1959 movie Ben Hur...Yes! They were Lipizzaner horses from Lipica, Slovenia. Beautiful horses! I want one! I need to grow a money tree... :o(
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/trivia
  • Off topic, but very interesting trivia. Here's the sentence I found the most hilarious, however: "The trivia items below may give away important plot points." Are there any people who would read this page who haven't seen this movie, do you think? hahaha I think everyone must have seen it numerous times, unless they are kids or come from some other planet.
    edited December 2014
    I got to meet Spider yesterday and my first impression was that he was gigantic. He sure is a lot bigger than Rowdy. He was also a handful. I can see why it's hard to keep him quiet. He doesn't have a quiet personality. He's so tall, he can see out the opening between the back wall--windbreak--and roof of his shelter. (It looks white in the picture below.) He was watching Rowdy run just behind the wall. Kind of sad. Hopefully he's going to mend eventually. Once he does and is fully healed and cleared to run, he's going to really let loose when he gets turned out.

Ann wanted some pictures of Spider and Rowdy wearing a Santa hat. Rowdy didn't do too badly, but Spider was having none of it. He wasn't being obnoxious about it, just quietly lowered his head so the thing fell off. Kind of passive-aggressive. hahaha Here are two pictures that turned out pretty well that I managed to get a split second before the hat ended up on the ground.

The second one is a lucky one. I love the rakish look he gets with his eye, the tilt of his head, and the hat tossed over his ear. Those of us of a certain age can imagine Maurice Chevalier's voice going, "Ah hah hah," with the French nasality.

Both pictures from my camera.
    edited December 2014
    Spider held a paintbrush in his teeth for almost a minute for the first time yesteday. Usually he won't because he'd rather love on people than try learning to paint. LOL. But he was willing to hold the brush while I was there. Didn't get a picture of that, though.
  • By the way, the first Morgan horse, Figure, from whom all other Morgans descended, was a sometime racehorse. He was known for being very fast. Supposedly his sire was a Thoroughbred and his dam was descended from the Arabian/Barb family of Thoroughbreds. Figure was a small, but extremely strong horse for his size. He had a quirk that enabled him to pass on his characteristics to his progeny no matter what mares he was bred to. Most Morgans who became racehorses down through the years (over 2 centuries) were harness racers. Figure lived to be 32 (he was foaled in 1789), after he developed an untreated infection from a kick in his pasture.
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the photos of Spider Santa...I think his young, want to play personality is more like the kid playing with his "toys" under the Christmas Tree than a settled Ho-Ho-Ho Santa Claus personality. btw... They do have Santa Hats for horses that stick on better. I'll see if I can dig a photo up in my old files.

Also, great info on "Figure" the sire of Morgans! If I find a photo of him, I will line him up in Old Friends even tho' he had an untreated infection from a pasture kick, he lived a hefty long life for any horse! 32 years...that's 90 years for a human! :oD

Here's the equine to human age conversion calculator that I posted in Old Friends earlier:
    http://www.calcunation.com/calculators/miscellaneous/pets-animals/horse-age.php?yr=32&calc=yes&Calculate=Calculate+Horse+Age
  • Here's a couple of Santa Hat styles that Spider could wear for next year...
    image from Statelinetack
    edited December 2014
    He'd have to be a lot calmer to hold still long enough to put one of those on. hahaha
    He would also need a taller person to get it over the ears.

Referring to Figure: Yes, 32 was a ripe old age for those days--1821. Who knows how long he would have lived if the wound had been cleaned, or with modern antibiotics.

No photos yet in those days; cameras hadn't been invented yet. But word of mouth from back then says that his offspring all looked just like him and this has continued to be true down through the decades, so the photos of any good modern Morgan would probably come close to how he looked. He was a brown bay, just like Rowdy.

Here are some old photos of "famous" Morgans from the past: http://foundationmorganhorse.com/historical_photos.asp
    The horses all look awfully similar.

Of course some are exceptionally fine specimens in looks. Ann says Rowdy's sire is truly beautiful. She saw him again recently. We both agreed Rowdy is looking pretty wonderful already, too.
  • By the way, I asked Ann what color Sassy is and she thinks she's black. She says Mea Ola is black and white, but even some of her black patches "bleach out" in the summer. We also agreed that Sassy is truly beautiful. No knowing anything about her genetics. Her sire could be a Thoroughbred, Ann thinks. Mea Ola has a long body and exceptionally short legs. So far Sassy's legs seem to be the right length for her body. Got to see Sassy running yesterday, too. She loves to run, Ann says. She was born the same year as Coz, but is 2 months and a week younger than he.
  • btw...VA_in_CA...Did you get a chance to tell Ann, when you visited Mea Ola about that electro-magnetic field therapy treatment for Spider's bone fracture (BEMER 3000-Vet blanket) and I noticed she used some sort of massage on Spider the other day...wondered if she got a chance to review the Masterson Method acupressure videos. You can tell her that I posted these links in MareStare's message board for Spider's Special Watch thread on page 5 for 12/21/14 if she hasn't seen that posting yet.
    Just trying to help Spider from relying too much on painkilling drugs that's all. :oD

I hope Dr. Sam can provide us a more positive prognosis of his current condition...has he stopped by to see Spider yet? :oD
    edited December 2014
    I think she's still catching up on posts. She didn't notice I sent her the photos from my October visit which I mentioned when I was there. She's got family staying with her now and her dryer conked out just when she had all the laundry from her trip to do. She's a busy lady. I'm sure she'll read your posts when she gets the chance. Frankly I forgot about them, sorry. Conversations often veer off in other directions. I told her you and I had a good Internet friendship that goes back to the Zenyatta Forum and told her you and I were trying to decide what color Sassy was. Then we got off to dealing with something else. We were turning horses out at that time. I notice she thanked you for your reports on MareStare. BC Lady is one of the administrators for Mea Ola's Place and as such she often writes for them. She's a pretty funny person and I enjoy her comments on the facebook pages. She lives in Vancouver. She's the only one besides me who seemed to notice that Chris went out in his scivvies to lock Rowdy in his stall because of the high winds. LOL
  • Here's a quick update on Spider. First of all, several of us watching on MareStare have seen him frisking in his small stall, even though he's restricted by lack of space. He's managed bucking, straight up jumping, bouncing, head swinging, and even a few rear legkicks. He's obviously feeling happy and pretty good in his pelvic area because he's on reduced pain meds in the daytime.

Here's Ann's update: [Note, I'm going to have to post the pictures by tinypic, so they are not located in the same configuration as they are in her post on Mea Ola's Place.] "Spider update: Some like big butts, but I am loving an "even" butt...LOL. What do you think? It sure looks like it is getting better to me The pic on the top (or left depending on what you are viewing this post on) is a screen shot taken just a few minutes ago. The pic on the bottom (or right) was taken November 13th. Both pics have his back feet flat on the ground. We are really hoping and praying for a miracle here. All of this confinement and tying will hopefully pay off in the end. We want to see Spider run, and buck, and play one day!"

This is the recent picture:

And this is the earlier picture taken about 6 weeks ago:

edited December 2014
    Also, you can see his right foreleg was bandaged in November because of the infection in his knee, but there is no trace of it now. You can't even tell there was ever an open wound.

• Here are some more pictures from my visit with Rowdy on Tuesday (23Dec14). The first was taken in the morning. Ann used her cell phone for that one. The rest were all taken with my camera in the afternoon when the light was brighter.

Love his little tongue in this one:

And check out the smile on his face in this one.

• Here's a distinguished gentleman:

Look at that tiny donkey. The foal is now bigger. He's growing up; gonna be a horse soon.

You can see Spider's ears as he looks over the windbreak wall. His head is just above the wire running up from the ground near the ball just to the left of Ann's shoulder..

• Here's Rowdy getting a brushing, which he loves.
    The windbreak and shelter at the end of his paddock, on the other side of the fence is Gasston's.

And here he's having a drink of Gatorade. His favorite flavor is Melon. Funny boy.'

• I also got to meet Lacey. She's the mare someone was advertising as "free to good home." NEVER do that. Kill buyers lie and sound like they will provide a wonderful home, and then sell the horse for slaughter and make 100% profit. That would not only have been terrible for Lacey, but also the waste of a good horse. Ann took the first picture with her cellphone after "ordering" me ( I didn't protest much) to pose with Lacey
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic.

I had to take some pictures for Ann with her cellphone, but I couldn't see the picture being taken very well because the sun was reflecting in the screen. So this is probably the only one that was any good; it's the only one she posted. LOL. Someone asked if she had visited Dolly Parton while she was away--hahaha--but no, she was wearing an open shirt that caught the wind just then. Funny effect.

Ann wanted to take Lacey out and try a saddle on her and then try out her paces while someone was there (to call 911--I guess) in case it didn't work out. But it worked out very well. Lacey had nice smooth gaits and was easy to ride and control. She'll be evaluated this next week and then be available for adoption. Here she is. She's a quarter horse.

• For Mare Stare fans of Spider, here are two pictures for orientation purposes. The first shows the whole stall. You can see his hay net--its thick heavy plastic--and his pink water bucket. The light for night viewing, with the red disk, is on the right near the ceiling. The space between the ceiling and the back wall is what he looks out of to see Rowdy and the house. The MS Cam is behind the red hat on his head. The radio to the right of the ladder is on during the daytime. The hanging milk carton tied to the middle of the pipe "wall" is for playing with.

The other picture was posted earlier, but I put it here again because you can see the MS Cam near the ceiling, just to the right and above the writing on the left wall, I really like the rakish look he has in this picture. I can just hear Maurice Chevalier's voice saying, "Ahnh, hanh hanh," with French nasality. LOL
  • Great photos! Thanks for sharing the photos of Spider, Rowdy and of course...Gasston! Loving them! :oD