Rosie Napravnik

Rosie just won the Distaff on Untapable...while pregnant! She will be retiring on Sunday! Imagine being able to say " my mom won a Breeders cup race while pregnant with me."

Comments

• That's great! I'm so happy for Rosie.
  • EriNC, I understood that she was retiring and that her and Joe was going to start a family, but not that she was pregnant already. I could be wrong.
  • She definitely is pregnant, at 7 weeks. Whoooo thats risky
  • I know and she said she is riding tomorrow. Scary!
  • I guess she would have to, idk if there are any jockeys available to replace her
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited November 2014
    She knows what she's doing, and she's good at it. The job itself is risky, but she'll be okay.
  • I have known other athletes who compete when pregnant. On the other hand horse racing can be dangerous. She is a pro. Pray that there no untoward accidents. Races happen so fast. My thoughts. Kmm
  • Fillies and mares have raced pregnant. Why not a jockey. Congrats to Rosie although I'll really miss her on the track. Hopefully she will return to racing.
  • Don't want to get in trouble. She is a lightweight compared to the mares. She is perched on a1100 lbs animal going many miles an hour. And has had numerous injuries. Just hope for a safe race.
  • Yes. So wished, by all.
  • Rosie’s Final Day before Retirement
    Ed Zieralski on Saturday Nov. 1, 2014
    On Sat in BC races, Rosie Napravnik rides
    Top Decile R4;
    Emollient R5;
    Mico Margarita R10;
    Tourist R11.
    #2014BreedersCup
    Safe rides!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Huge article in todays paper here about Distaff win...headline reads
    #Passenger on Board#.....great pic of Rosie and Uptapable
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited November 2014
    Keeneland Assn Oct 25 2014
    Congrats to the Fall Meet Leaders:
    Rosie Napravnik, (Jockeys)
    Todd Pletcher, Graham Motion (Trainers-tied)
    Ramsey_Farm (Owners)
  • J.J. Hysell ‏Saturday Nov. 1, 2014
    An incredible year for Rosie Napravnik.
    Kentucky Oaks,
    Keeneland meet title,
    Breeeders Cup Distaff with Untapable
  • Rosie Napravnik (as of October 31, 2014)
    Best Racing Class Achieved
    Multiple Graded Stakes Winning Jockey

Triple Crown Highlights
    3rd Preakness S. - 2013 - Mylute

Breeders’ Cup Highlights
    1st Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff - 2014 - Untapable
    1st Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile - 2012 - Shanghai Bobby
    2nd Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile - 2014 - Tapiture
    Source: Equibase
    Top 100 Rankings (Since 2000)
    Ranked 8th by Earnings - 2013
    Ranked 5th by Wins - 2013
    Ranked 8th by Earnings - 2012
    Ranked 23rd by Wins - 2012
    Note: This shows only 2012 & 2013- not all the years.
    2014 Statistics
    Starts: 849
    Firsts: 189
    Seconds: 128
    Thirds: 117
    Earnings: $13,171,663
    Avg. Earnings Per Start: $15,514

Career Statistics:
    Starts: 9,711
    Firsts: 1,878
    Seconds: 1,635
    Thirds: 1,432
    Earnings: $71,076,887
    Avg. Earnings Per Start: $7,319
  • Huge article in todays paper here about Distaff win...headline reads
    #Passenger on Board#.....great pic of Rosie and Uptapable
    Sorry Carol, could not find the article. Here is one of many about Rosie. Keta

Jockey Rosie Napravnik retires after riding Untapable to Distaff win
    By Alicia Wincze Hughes Herald=Leader October 31, 2014
    ARCADIA, Calif. — One girl brought the drama with the sheer force of her will, sticking her bay face with that paint strip of a blaze in front at the head of lane and showing her challengers in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff what a season's worth of progressive brilliance looks like.
    The other girl, the one who helped foster the above's ability, then stole the show for most stunning performance on the day when she turned to her mother on national television and told the Thoroughbred racing community that outing might have been the last they would see of her own standard-setting skills.
    There never has been a post-race scene quite like one that exploded before the crowd of 37,205 after Untapable's 11/4-length triumph over Don't Tell Sophia in the Distaff. Moments after guiding the 3-year-old filly to her most significant triumph yet, jockey Rosie Napravnik ignited shock waves that could rock the neighboring San Gabriel Mountains when she announced she would be retiring from race riding effective Sunday as she and her husband, trainer Joe Sharp, are expecting their first child.
    Napravnik said she was about seven weeks pregnant and that while her initial plan was to wait until after this weekend to break the news "this filly has just been so special to me ... I couldn't resist because they asked me how much it meant to me."
    http://www.kentucky.com/2014/10/31/3512841_jockey-rosie-napravnik-retires.html?rh=1
  • Horse racing: Rosie Napravnik to retire after Breeder’s Cup win (VIDEO)
    By Beth Harris Associated Press • Saturday November 1, 2014
    ARCADIA, Calif. — Rosie Napravnik was riding with a secret, and she couldn’t keep it any longer once Untapable won the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Distaff.
    Napravnik stunned a crowd of 37,205 at Santa Anita and a national television audience by announcing she will retire on Sunday. The 26-year-old jockey later said she is seven weeks pregnant.
    “I don’t know if I had won on another horse if I would have said anything,” Napravnik said. “ This filly has just been very special to me, and it’s a very special way to go out, so I just couldn’t resist because they asked me how much it meant to me.”
    Napravnik became the first female jockey to win the Distaff in the race’s 31-year history. She will ride in four of the nine Cup races today before calling it quits.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/11/01/napravnik-to-retire-after-big-win.html
  • Top Decile finished second. The winner was a 60-1 long shot!
  • U.S. jockey Rosie Napravnik leaves the Sport of Kings on top
    By Steve Ginsburg Reuters Sun Nov 9, 2014
    n"(Reuters) - Rosie Napravnik's soft features and affable nature belie her grit on the racetrack.
    Over the last decade, Napravnik's rivals never wanted to look over their shoulder in the stretch and see the jockey not-too-affectionately dubbed "the girl" bearing down on them.
    It too often ended in defeat.
    "Rosie is a fierce competitor," said Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens. "Tough. Very focused. She's great at what she does. A good jockey is good regardless of gender.
    "She finishes strong. There are a lot of male riders out there that don't have what it takes. She has what it takes."
    With a record-setting resume and in the prime of her career, Napravnik pulled a shocker during the Breeders' Cup last weekend when she announced her retirement. "The girl" with the red hair and high cheekbones was pregnant and quitting the sport.
    Napravnik, 26, broke the news after winning one of the biggest races of her career, the $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff aboard the prized 3-year-old filly Untapable.
    From article:
    TOP FEMALE
    Napravnik is currently sixth among all jockeys in North America by earnings with $13.53 million in 2014, and is the nation's leading female rider.
    Over her career, she has nearly 1,900 wins with earnings of more than $71 million. The only female to compete in all Triple Crown races, Napravnik in 2012 broke the total wins and earnings record for a woman jockey previously held by trailblazer Julie Krone
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/09/us-usa-horse-racing-napravnik-idUSKCN0IT0UB20141109

• Churchill to honor retired jockey Napravnik
    Jonathan Lintner, the courier-journal.November 13, 2014
    Churchill Downs will honor recently retired jockey Rosie Napravnik, the first and only female rider to win the Kentucky Oaks, during Saturday’s racing program, the track has announced.
    After a sixth race dubbed “The Run for Rosie,” a ceremony is planned in the winner’s circle. Post time is 3:08 p.m.
    Napravnik, who announced she’d retire to start a family after winning the Breeders’ Cup Distaff earlier this month aboard Untapable, first piloted Believe You Can to victory in the 2012 Oaks.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/2014/11/13/churchill-downs-honor-retired-jockey-rosie-napravnik-weekend/18967839/
  • Nice article about her husband as trainer and their support of each other. Canmot remember reference. But brought up question in my mind. How much do jockeys take home in winnings? I would guess Rosie is rich now but they sound pretty down to earth. I guess when I think about people like Gary Steven, coming back after 5 years retirement and coming back again from near replacement is for the love of the game and love of horses. Certainly he has done extraordinary in terms of success and money. My guess is extraordinary athletes will compete as long as their bodies hold up. Makes us ordinary folks think about pushing ourselves back to our younger athletic selves and successes.
  • I read in an article about Mike Smith that the top jockeys make a huge percentage of the amount the horse wins in the race. I forget what it is, but it seems fair when one considers the risks involved. And why not when baseball and basketball players make millions in much less risky jobs.
  • edited November 2014
    Winning jockeys take 10% of the winner's purse, and the trainer also gets 10%. They get a lesser percentage for place and show. Non-winning jockeys get a mount fee that's usually not very much. (The Derby is a special case, with a mount fee of $100 IIRC.) If a jockey is winning top races, then s/he can make a whole lot of money. So for example, the 2009 Breeders'Cup Classic was worth $5 million, with a winner's purse of $2,700,000. Mike got $270,000 just for winning that one race. From that he paid 25% to his agent; plus, as an independent contractor he would have paid his own income taxes, insurance, etc. Still, he'd be left with a healthy amount. (Zenyatta was very good for Mike's wallet.) Now, there aren't many multimillion dollar races in the U.S., but jockeys don't rely on just a single race for their incomes--most good riders ride multiple races on a card and ride most days if they can. Top jocks may get $20,000 here, $15,000 there, adding up over the course of a meet. Not bad.

The flip side of this structure is that journeyman jockeys may not make much money at all. Ten percent of the winner's share of a $5000 purse is about $270--not much--and there are still taxes, agent fees, etc. The also-rans in the race are getting about $10-$15 to ride. Low-level jockeys usually supplement their incomes by galloping horses in the morning. It's more reliable as a source of income.

There are 1640 jockeys listed in Equibase as starting so far this year. The guy in the middle (#820 as of this morning) is a jockey named Chase Clark. His (?) earnings so far this year are $108,725 from 150 starts. Clearly, he's not getting rich.