"IT'S A LOVE THING"

Great video produced by Ashton & Kari in 2012 on AnimalsRock4Love. Enjoy!

Comments

• Thank you, thank you, Abigail!
    Oh my gosh, just look at her! This reminds us of how special she is and look how svelte she was. My favorite thing is how she stops and surveys her surroundings and her fans. No wonder we all fell in love with her, there is not another one like her. Beautiful lady!
  • Love it! Mamma Z looks like she could of been a handful when she was ready to "get the job done". Love how she always threw them legs out there even when walking. Like a super model's legs. She had to do something with all that leg. And no doubt about it, she is one of a kind.
  • I agree, watching it again I noticed that Mario was really having a little bit of a time keeping her with him! So funny and I can't imagine trying to hang on to that much horse. Great video!
  • Really fun video. Had tracked zenny for a long time. She and mike still make me tear up when watch old videos. Started keeping track of rachel before she won breakthrough Kentucky oaks? Before she was sold. Big bucks afterward. Don't think original owners kept share. In my heart of hearts, wish they had kept some interest. K
  • Beautiful, thanks Abigail !
    Is this the same Ashton that posted the "Butterflies" video tribute? I'm guessing yes. He posts on the forum too, & someone over on the blog mentioned that his "Mother would be so proud." Makes me think he is a young man? Does anyone know his "story"?
    (or everyone except me?)

In the video I love how Queen Z's "court" follows her lead-when Zenny wants to stop, everyone stops and waits patiently. When she's ready to move, everyone follows.
  • She was (is) one in a million and this precious video captures beautifully why we remain so captived by our Queen. Kari's videos first brought me to her many years ago and for that I am forever thankful. Great job, Ashton, for carrying on the job of your beloved mother. You two ladies are such a part of this community, even if it's now Kari in spirit.
  • cms0594cms0594 Member
    edited November 2014
    She was and always will be the Queen when it comes to racing. She is Big , Beautiful and Fast.
    You know I think that if she were to have raced Secretariat in any race excluding the Belmont Zenny would have beaten him by a nose.Even If she lost to him she still would have given him a run for his money Don't get me wrong Secretariat is by far the best race horse to ever set hoof on a track but I think she could have beaten him. Ruffian too.
  • We all love Zenyatta and appreciate her incredible heart and talent, but for all she did on the track, she is still no Secretariat. It's always hard to mention any horse in the same breath as the one who holds the records in the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont to this day. Secretariat will always be in a class of his own, IMHO. I would love to see a fantasy match race between Ruffian and Zenyatta, but I'm not totally convinced of who would come out on top
  • Zenny was much faster than it appears simply because of how effortlessly she ran...only doing what was necessary to get to the wire first. Mike and Steve both say to this day they never got to the bottom of her.
  • She was and always will be the Queen when it comes to racing. She is Big , Beautiful and Fast.
    You know I think that if she were to have raced Secretariat in any race excluding the Belmont Zenny would have beaten him by a nose.Even If she lost to him she still would have given him a run for his money. Ruffian too.
    I agree. Ruffian if I remember correctly was always in the front while Zenyatta and Secretariat always came from the back. If they would of all raced against each other it would of probably been Ruffian leading as they round the turn but then Zenyatta and Secretariat would make their runs and then catch Ruffian and then it would come down to Zenyatta and Secretariat and I too believe that she would of beat him
  • We all love Zenyatta and appreciate her incredible heart and talent, but for all she did on the track, she is still no Secretariat. It's always hard to mention any horse in the same breath as the one who holds the records in the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont to this day. Secretariat will always be in a class of his own, IMHO. I would love to see a fantasy match race between Ruffian and Zenyatta, but I'm not totally convinced of who would come out on top
    I agree that Secretariat is in a class of his own. A match race between Ruffian and Zenyatta would be interesting because their running styles are so different. Ruffian was never really tested; she won with such ease. The same could be said of Zenyatta, except for her last race, which she probably would've won if the race had been just a few strides longer.

• Beautiful, thanks Abigail !
    Is this the same Ashton that posted the "Butterflies" video tribute? I'm guessing yes. He posts on the forum too, & someone over on the blog mentioned that his "Mother would be so proud." Makes me think he is a young man? Does anyone know his "story"?
    (or everyone except me?)
    I saw that on the blog and was wondering the same thing Sally. Anyone care to fill us in? :)

• Ashton is the daughter of a lady named Kari who I never knew, but have heard wonderful things about. She was a HUGE Zenyatta fan who made beautiful videos in Z's honor. The people on the blog side knew her best and all I know is that she sadly died and, I believe, was able to meet Zenyatta in person right before she died and maybe had her ashes scattered at Lane's End. I hope Ashton will see this or someone who knew Kari and can explain Kari's story better than me. I didn't know about her until after she died. Ashton is carrying on her legacy and making beautiful videos and photos about Zenyatta and other horses that she shares with all of us.

Ashton is the one who recently shared some beautiful videos of Cigar after he died that are on this forum. I hope she won't be offended if I didn't get the story right, but since people were asking about her, I thought I would try to explain.
  • Thanks Louise! Kari sounds like a wonderful person, and her story is touching. Thanks for explaining.
  • Thank you Louise- I see Crazy4Z (in a subsequent post) referred to Ashton & Kari as ladies, and I felt badly that I had assumed Ashton was a guy-it's a beautiful name for a daughter too. Thanks for filling us in, as I felt quite ignorant! It's so nice that they shared their love for the Queen. I hope Ashton continues to make the videos, as I've enjoyed them very much.
  • Let me start by saying thank you to everyone for your sweet comments. I no where near as good at this as my moma (the way she spelled it). Please know I'm touched. Abigail, you know I think the world of you and I'm reminded of your friendship with here every time I look at the pictures of her amazing journey and love affair with Zenyatta in the beautiful handmade scrape book you sent her.
    To answer some questions- She first saw and fell in love with her beloved Queen Zenyatta in April 2008 when after the TV was left on fox sports south and she looked up (paid attention) just in time to see Zenyatta's first Apple Blossom. It was intense love/passion at first sight. She then discovered that the man she fell in love with (as a trainer) by how he looked at Giacomo, John Shirreffs (who went on to be one of only two humans she called hero)....was Z's trainer and had a youtube channel where he shared videos of his barn. She was one of his first youtube subscribers and back then youtube had "friends." She held her breath and we, as a family from Knoxville, watched all her races....thrilled when she did as Moma (and those of us who BELIEVED) predicted (and dreamed of) and won her 2008 Ladies Classic.
    Again in 2009- each and every race, from afar, we watched, cheered, cried tears of joy and had chills down our spine with each victory. However, as the Breeders' Cup approached there was simultaneously an intense anxiety, prayers for victory, excitement and an intense sorrow as we the fans all believed we would be witnessing her last race. Then it happened as we all dreamed, she WON( Not so Un-Be-Live- Able, for those of us who BELIEVED) but still a mouth dropping, we will never see again, and "never forget" amazing win .....shutting the mouths of the naysayers and negative people. She had a retirement party and we cried, and cried, and cried some more thinking we would never see her race again. The amazing ride, with 14 days of sheer joy were over, or so we thought. Then it was announced she would RUN IN 2010. Joy and jubilation rang throughout the world of Zenyatta again. For those of you who learned of her after the fact- the Z Diary had not been born yet and would not until weeks before her 2010 BCC...and would not get really going until around the time she won the 2010 HOTY. Moma was so thrilled. She and her friends, not blessed to live on the west coast were elated and dancing in the internet streets and physical streets at the prospect Z
    would return to Oaklawn. ( she did not come in 2009).....
    I must add here that in May 2009 she went to see her beloved Zenyatta run in the Louisville Distaff at Churchill downs and was crushed when it rained cats and dogs all night long and being the amazing trainer and her hero Mr. Shirreffs always putting the horse first scratched Zenyatta. But she had bragging rights in predicting Rachel would blow the field away in the Kentucky Oaks. We were blessed to witness it, but very disappointed we didn't finally get to see our Queen.
    2010---Apple Blossom- It was to be the race of the ages.....Rachel Alexandra and THE QUEEN...It was sold out. She was frantic and willing to pay her life savings to acquire seats, and she did. She purchased the last seats (a box for six) available she could find online in the owner/trainer section. She paid a fortune, and literally bought Mr. and Mrs. Moss complimentary box from a man whose son or daughter live with their son/daughter/niece/nephew in Hawaii. She was over the moon and me and the rest of the family as well as the friends she knew from youtube were thrilled beyond words as well. There was some disappointment after the announcement that Rachel would not run. But that was very soon forgotten with the sheer Joy that she was finally, after years of yearning and dreaming, going to get to see the one who inspired her to beat the odds, time and time again, and live. She was not about to die before she saw Zenyatta or before her story was finished (truth be known before she finally won that dang elusive Horse of the Year Award too). I'm very sincere about this. Many times I've been grateful to Team Z for bringing her out of her very brief retirement and running her in 2010. I truly believe it gave me more time with her. And oh the memories we as a family made, all thanks to Zenyatta. Back to her story- As Zen-magic would have it, the box she paid a fortune for in the owner/trainer section was seated right next to the only other person she had ever called hero. Cindy Jones had brought Just Jenda to run in the Apple Blossom. Let me go back a little and share that after buying tickets, she frantically shopped EBay and ordered posters so she would have something to hold up as the walk by in the post parade. None of them arrived on time. So at the track, as man had a ready to mount (but for display) print of Z from her 2008 Apple Blossom on a easel. He was selling 8 by 10's and buttons. She bought about 20 buttons and ask the price for the HUGE print on the easel. He said it wasn't for sale, but she offered enough for him to sell it. So back to the seats. She is sitting next to Cindy Jones, who smiles and politely asks to see her HUGE Zenyatta print. Moma (being moma) asked her to sign it. Mrs. Jones told her it was a beautiful print and she hoped Just Jenda would run a great second. Knowing it would be Z and the rest of the field. After the race as Zenyatta was being unsaddled, a lady sitting in the Jones' box told us she was their vet and asked us if we would like to go back to the barn to see Zenyatta. Of course Moma's answer was a tearful yes. She did NOT get to touch her that day.....But here's one video she did of that day....
    HER words underneath the video-
    """~Zenyatta~ Dancing, prancing --Apple Blossom-Oaklawn
    I have never shared the footage at the very beginning of this video. It is Zenny covered in dust/dirt immediately (seconds) after her AB victory. I will publicly thank Vet. Karen again for inviting me back to Z's barn and leading me onto the track she had won her historic 16th race a split second earlier. I walked where she just ran. It was one of the thrills of my life...then being so close to her for the first time still leaves me speechless.

All video was taken by my husband and me and as always anyone who wants to celebrate Zenyatta may use it.."""
  • Sorry for being so lengthy but here is most of the rest of her story as told by "Zenyatta" (Via Steve Haskin) back when Dottie did the diary and honored her in dedicated a diary post to her.
    http://www.zenyatta.com/diary/diary-post-441
  • A little ahead of myself this is the diary before Dottie where I had to break the news of her passing. It tells other peoples memories. The huge outpouring of love and support truly loved me through it, and I will be forever in debt to Zenyatta's community. And yes, she did get to see Zenyatta at Lane's End not long before she passed. It is a memory I'll hold in my heart forever. Zenyatta's connections went way above the call of duty. Dottie had Zenyatta share one of her videos (made her world- she was floating on air)....Her hero left numerous touching comments underneath five of her videos, and I say with all my heart they helped her live longer. NO words or deed could ever express my gratitude.
    Just like the Apple Blossom she invited people she met on youtube to join us in her box. She wanted everyone to get to see her, and wanted to see her with everyone.
    http://www.zenyatta.com/diary/diary-post-440/comment-page-5#comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the video of Zenyatta by your husband Ashton!

I still think when Zenyatta retires as a broodmare...that she could have a third career in dressage...with Ann as her rider of course! She was naturally doing some mean Spanish Walk dance steps in that video. Or as we discussed last year...have her donate one of her eggs (fertilized in vitro by a star dressage stallion like Totilas) and have a recip (surrogate) mare produce a dressage foal for her.

Just dreaming of course. :oD
  • Sweet Zenny really did rock the world and there will never be another like her...ever.
  • Thank you, Ashton, for telling us so much about your wonderful mother. I love all the videos and links to diary comments about her. Even though I never knew her, reading all the comments made me cry. She left her mark on Zenyatta.com for sure and left many of us wishing we had really known her. Thanks for sharing!
  • Thank you Ashton, for posting the beautiful (and inspirational) story of your Mother's shared love for Z. I enjoyed your words & images so much. Tiago's history is new to me, and I appreciate being made aware of it. I will keep him in my thoughts. My Mother is currently in the final stage of her battle with cancer, and I'm with her now, getting support from hospice. It's a tough journey, but remembering all the wonderful shared experiences helps us to get through.

• My prayers are with you and your mother, SallyT.
  • I'm so sorry, SallyT. You and your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • I will be praying Sally T