TIAGO

Tiago at Adena Springs-
The first time we got to visit Tiago he was recovering from colic surgery. Six months later in Oct. 2012 we literally passed Mr. and Mrs. Moss leaving on the road leading to Adena Springs...as we passed them, I thought I had team Zenyatta/Tiago/Giacomo on my brain and I was seeing things until the groom shared with us that we had just missed them. He grinned and with a look in his eyes and tone in his voice of pure admiration he told us they thought they would have to pry Mrs. Moss off of Tiago. The very next visit (six more months latter) He shared that Tiago suffers from a very rare disease that only 13 other thoroughbreds on earth have ever had. He said it looked grim and it still does.....Our visit this past month October 2014 he shared with us that Tiago has outlived the other 13 horses who suffer from this dreaded disease by over a year and a half. He requires special food and meds every 30 minutes around the clock 24/7 and will for the rest of his life. On April 7, 2007-Tiago burst onto horse racing's national stage by rallying dramatically to win the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby with odds of 29-1. This was jockey Mike E. Smith's first trip aboard the bay colt. He won Grade 2 Swaps Stakes at Hollywood Park on July 14. On September 29, he won the Grade 1 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap at Santa Anita Park by a nose over Awesome Gem. This guaranteed the colt an automatic berth in the Breeders' Cup Classic thanks to the new "Win and you're in" program. He was the only three-year-old in the Goodwood Handicap, triumphing over older and more experienced horses. The colt was so excited in the testing barn after the race that he had to be administered a tranquilizer. Aside from having been one amazing race horse, beating the odds multiple times on the track-running a game third behind Rags to Riches and Curlin in the 2007 Belmont, and again running third in the 2008 Breeders' Cup Classic behind Ravens Pass and Henrythenavigator while finishing ahead of reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, TIAGO has already defied the odds. He was running in his paddock, alert and one happy horse last month. This is the kind of amazing temperament that allows any being, equine or human to beat the odds in life. My moma outlived her 'expiration date' by almost a decade. She loved Tiago with all her heart. I can't help but believe it was because in part because she saw a kindred spirit in him. Like many of us, she always had a huge soft sport for the little guy who was supposed to lose, or as she used to say "didn't know they we not supposed to win". May the winning spirit that has lead him this far, lead him to a mind blowing record of defying the odds. Remember him in your prayers, but I think he's going to fool them and be around for years to come. This is dedicated with all my heart to TIAGO, those who love him, and for those who are determined to beat the odds. NEVER GIVE UP........And remember tell them you love them every chance you get. ~A

Comments

• Ashton, Thank you for the update on Tiago. I had no idea he was having health problems. Tiago is one of my all time favorites, and he has courage to spare. I will send him prayers, and I hope he remains strong and with us, as you have suggested, for years to come.
  • What is his diagnosis?
  • I tried to access the video, but got a notice that the video is not available to people in my country. We're not all that bad here, are we?
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited November 2014
    Wasn't Tiago the horse (during a past Triple Crown race) who only drank Fiji Water? I sort of remember that info during the pre-race program on TV when I was watching either the Kentucky Derby or the Belmont years ago. Sorry to slip in this trivia.

But more important, I hope he can overcome his rare illness.
  • I wish I could see the video.
  • edited November 2014
    I was able to see the video yesterday, but not today. Perhaps we could email Ashton. Or, perhaps the video has been pulled for some reason.

If I understand correctly, Ashton had last seen Tiago in October of this year and he was doing well, but his health was not all that great. It is now November of 2014, and I am hoping things are going okay for him at this time. I also wondered if he was still doing his stallion duties. ????
  • Says video is not available in your country
  • Wasn't Tiago the horse (during a past Triple Crown race) who only drank Fiji Water? I sort of remember that info during the pre-race program on TV when I was watching either the Kentucky Derby or the Belmont years ago. Sorry to slip in this trivia.

But more important, I hope he can overcome his rare illness.
    That's an interesting trivia fact PG. I'm partial to Fiji Water myself. :) I hope this beautiful boy stays strong and can overcome this, and I'm so glad he's in such capable and loving hands. The video said for me too that it's not available in this country.

• Sending more positive healing energy over to Tiago...hope he continues to fight through this rare disease. Did anyone find out about what kind of rare illness he has?

On the bright side...
    LOL! My mental rolodex surprises me sometimes. I would remember such odd trivia info as Fiji Water! :oP I just researched the race Tiago was in and he ran in the 2007 Belmont Stakes coming in third behind Rags To Riches and Curlin...that's seven years ago!

Also found an article about the Fiji Water:
    Excerpt from: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/sports/othersports/10notebook.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0
    "TIAGO HAS EXPENSIVE TASTE Tap water will not do for Tiago. Tiago, the winner of the Santa Anita Derby, drinks only Fiji Water, imported from the South Pacific, when on the road.

“We bring it in by the box,” the trainer John Shirreffs said. “And he drinks it by the box. We hope he drinks a lot. He has about three boxes a day.”

The bottles are small — usually pints or less — and must be opened and poured into Tiago’s water bucket.

“It’s a lot of unscrewing,” Shirreffs said.

The brand was suggested by his co-owner Ann Moss, who is active in environmental causes. She bred the colt in partnership with her husband Jerry Moss, who co-founded A&M Records. "
  • AshtonAshton Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm sorry the song I picked Celine Dion/Barbra Streisand "Tell Him" caused youtube to not allow it here. I've put other music to it. Please keep in mind it's edited to "Tell Him." I'll post it in a few moment.
    First I want to make sure, for anyone who doesn't know his story that they learn it. Thank you Paniolo_Gal for posting the story and link. It's one of my favorites and speaks volumes for how great Mr. and Mrs. Moss treat their horses.
    I'll start with this link to a very old story about Tiago, Giacomo and connections. It includes some really nice photos. It's from 2006.
    http://www.gregsonfoundation.com/jerryandannmoss-honored.htm
  • Here's his 2007 Belmont Stakes where he ran a game second behind the wonder filly Rags to Riches and two time HOY Curlin.
  • HIs 2008 Breeders' Cup classic where again he ran his bug beautiful heart out to come in third behind Raven's Pass and Henrythenavigator. He did beat two rimw hOY Curlin who finished fourth.
  • One of my all time favorite videos and the only time Mr. John Shirreffs did a video to music that he shared with the general public. He did this in April 2008 and graciously shared with us intimate moments and photos of Tiago, Dottie, and Ann before he was loaded of to his new life as a Stallion. Sadly, the music "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan was muted about a year ago. You can still see the photos. I searched youtube to find any version that is the full six minutes Dylan recorded and Mr. Shirreffs selected. I'll post it after his video so anyone can run two tabs, play one while watching his beautiful video. If you click onto the video of Tiago instead of viewing it from this link, you'll see many of Moma's comments going back five plus years. She loved this video.
  • AshtonAshton Member
    edited November 2014
    The Boss with Dylan live. This is the closest to the version Mr. Shirreffs used....
  • Tiago, Giacomo and Stanwyck are all half sibblings and homebred by the Moss mare Set Then Free.
    Here is an article-Tiago, a half-brother of 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, upset Saturday's Santa Anita Derby. I can't find this race on youtube.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown07/news/story?id=2829467
  • Revised video of Tiago at Adena Springs. The first half is from last month .I've included photos from the past several years visits. To attempt to do him justice in the middle I added pro photos from his racing days to show him in his prime. Again, I had to change the music and it was far from a masterpiece to begin with. In the spirit of sharing...and worrying about this sweet boy. I believe the same heart that carried him in big races where he was the underdog , will help him continue to beat the odds and live. For the record he was running around his paddock the picture of health this last visit. He looks better than I've seen him look since 2012. It is a daily/every 30 minute battle. God bless Mr. and Mrs. Moss, Adena Springs, and TIAGO.
    Tiago at Adena Springs-
    The first time we got to visit Tiago he was recovering from colic surgery. Six months later in Oct. 2012 we literally passed Mr. and Mrs. Moss leaving on the road leading to Adena Springs...as we passed them, I thought I had team Zenyatta/Tiago/Giacomo on my brain and I was seeing things until the groom shared with us that we had just missed them. He grinned and with a look in his eyes and tone in his voice of pure admiration he told us they thought they would have to pry Mrs. Moss off of Tiago. The very next visit (six more months latter) He shared that Tiago suffers from a very rare disease that only 13 other thoroughbreds on earth have ever had. He said it looked grim and it still does.....Our visit this past month October 2014 he shared with us that Tiago has outlived the other 13 horses who suffer from this dreaded disease by over a year and a half. He requires special food and meds every 30 minutes around the clock 24/7 and will for the rest of his life. On April 7, 2007-Tiago burst onto horse racing's national stage by rallying dramatically to win the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby with odds of 29-1. This was jockey Mike E. Smith's first trip aboard the bay colt. He won Grade 2 Swaps Stakes at Hollywood Park on July 14. On September 29, he won the Grade 1 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap at Santa Anita Park by a nose over Awesome Gem. This guaranteed the colt an automatic berth in the Breeders' Cup Classic thanks to the new "Win and you're in" program. He was the only three-year-old in the Goodwood Handicap, triumphing over older and more experienced horses. The colt was so excited in the testing barn after the race that he had to be administered a tranquilizer. Aside from having been one amazing race horse, beating the odds multiple times on the track-running a game third behind Rags to Riches and Curlin in the 2007 Belmont, and again running third in the 2008 Breeders' Cup Classic behind Ravens Pass and Henrythenavigator while finishing ahead of reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, TIAGO has already defied the odds. He was running in his paddock, alert and one happy horse last month. This is the kind of amazing temperament that allows any being, equine or human to beat the odds in life. My moma outlived her 'expiration date' by almost a decade. She loved Tiago with all her heart. I can't help but believe it was because in part because she saw a kindred spirit in him. Like many of us, she always had a huge soft sport for the little guy who was supposed to lose, or as she used to say "didn't know they we not supposed to win". May the winning spirit that has lead him this far, lead him to a mind blowing record of defying the odds. Remember him in your prayers, but I think he's going to fool them and be around for years to come. This is dedicated with all my heart to TIAGO, those who love him, and for those who are determined to beat the odds. NEVER GIVE UP........And remember tell them you love them every chance you get. ~A
    All photos and video taken at Adena Springs are mine. I did not take any of him racing. They were on google images. I just wanted to tell some of his story and show him in his prime. I really love him.

• Great videos of Tiago Ashton! btw...before the edit option is closed...might be good to correct a minor typo on The Boss with Dylan live posting. (2nd sentence) :oD
  • Haha! Thank you!