Texas Red

An awesome BC race last to first just like are Queen what does the future of Texas Red look like

Comments

• Sure hope he takes after his sire, Afleet Alex!
  • He doesnt get his size from his sire thats for sure lol. Afleet Alex is a small horse, we've always joked that if Zenny were to be bred to him they'd have to dig a pit for him LOL
  • Not necessarily. Remember Maggy Hawk, AA's dam is HUGE. Could have just jumped a generation.
  • Since horses give birth singlely, we can't say AA was the "runt of the litter." hahaha No accounting for genetics.
  • He does appear to be a big horse. Just so he gets his talent and his heart from Alex.

Any news at all about the full sister to Alex that Mandy Pope bought from Stonestreet last year?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    He does appear to be a big horse. Just so he gets his talent and his heart from Alex.

Any news at all about the full sister to Alex that Mandy Pope bought from Stonestreet last year?
    Is that where she is.....the full sister is 2 now...like Coz and Taco
  • Apparently her name is Afleet Alexsis.

There is no record of any works or activity on her in Equibase. Just her name and pedigree
  • They expect big things from her. I couldn't resist asking the manager at Timber Town last month. We were there to see Dolly, Grace and Plum. While they have nothing to do with AA's training I suspected they had a clue. So far....looking very promising. As of a few weeks ago.
    Texas Red- I thought it was one of the most exciting races of the entire BC. I hope he stays sound. WOW!
    For anyone coming to KY- Timber Town is wonderful allowing visits with mares, if the owners allow it, and Amanda Pope does. We saw HDG and PP last year and GD, HDG and PP this year. Note they do NOT allow the general public in to see any mare until their foal is weaned. We were blessed to see some weanlings this trip. So plan your trip for the fall. It's beautiful here in the fall. Be sure to take the time to drive a hour or so down to TN and take in the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains.
  • Last night I watched a replay of AA's Preakness. My stomach still does summersaults when he stumbles....how in the world he didn't fall...must have had his guardian Angel with him that day.

Also, talking about big horses.....there is a two-year old filly who just made her track appearance and she is Huge...her name is Cult Classic. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned her. I'll try to find a link to her race....she is huge and she ran a huge race. She's a Quality Road.
  • Ashton, thanks for the tips. i want to go to bluegrass country with my daughter. She is a student at Univ of Illinois, Urbana. We could rent a car and drive, right? Anyway, I'm going to research. Seeing Afleet Alex at Gainesway is on my bucket list. Go TEXAS RED!!! What a great name for a racehorse!
  • I love his name too its perfect it fits his size and color :)
  • How old is TR isn't he a 2 year old
  • Apparently her name is Afleet Alexsis.

There is no record of any works or activity on her in Equibase. Just her name and pedigree
    Apparently her name is Afleet Alexsis.

• Zenyen, Thanks for the info on Afleet Alexsis.
  • Is there any news on Texas red's next race
  • Texas Red is aiming for the San Vicente next, on February 1. He's definitely my favorite of the 2 year olds on the Triple Crown trail, but I also loved his dad.
  • Texas Red Army Shooting For The Stars On 2015 Triple Crown Trail: https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/10933/texas-red-2015-triple-crown-trail.html
  • In case people don't read the article, it looks like Texas Red will be going for the Risen Star after the San Vicente, and then it's a toss up between the Santa Anita Derby and the Louisiana Derby.
  • Read the article --- so interesting to learn that Texas Red was at Mayberry Farm at the same time as Coz but they weren't overly impressed until his very last work. Jeanne Mayberry thought he finally ran like a real racehorse that day! You just never know --- they were still calling Slew "baby Heuy" during his early training for the track. Texas Red is big and beautiful & will be one of my picks for 2015 ---- unless or until he goes up against Coz!
  • edited January 2015
    I read the article but couldn't make sense of where his next start will be; so thanks for clearing that up. I have mixed feelings about Texas Red: on one hand, he is a tremendous specimen BUILT top to bottom for classic distances, who ran a monster race in the BC Juvenile that few horses, let alone a TWO year old, can do. And yet, I cannot help but be reminded that there has not been a BC Juvenile winner yet, who has won the Kentucky Derby in recent memory. It's almost become a running joke at this point: how the BC Juvenile winner is automatically the favorite for the Kentucky Derby.... And yet never seems to win it. There's also the fact that recently, the early horses on the KD trail seem to drop like flies towards the end So I remain apprehensive about him, but hope he defies the rotten luck that tends to befall a horse in his current position.
  • I didn't take the time to look it up (probably should have) but I think Street Sense won both.
  • Street Sense did win both, but he is the only one.
  • It's almost become a running joke at this point: how the BC Juvenile winner is automatically the favorite for the Kentucky Derby.... And yet never seems to win it.
    As I said about the Eclipse awards... the BC races count for 90%, everything else for 9 and the last 1% is chance.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

• I read the article but couldn't make sense of where his next start will be; so thanks for clearing that up. I have mixed feelings about Texas Red: on one hand, he is a tremendous specimen BUILT top to bottom for classic distances, who ran a monster race in the BC Juvenile that few horses, let alone a TWO year old, can do. And yet, I cannot help but be reminded that there has not been a BC Juvenile winner yet, who has won the Kentucky Derby in recent memory. It's almost become a running joke at this point: how the BC Juvenile winner is automatically the favorite for the Kentucky Derby.... And yet never seems to win it. There's also the fact that recently, the early horses on the KD trail seem to drop like flies towards the end So I remain apprehensive about him, but hope he defies the rotten luck that tends to befall a horse in his current position.
    I've heard though that all of the horses that have won the Juvenile since Street Sense have been built like milers and have run like milers. Texas Red is definitely not a miler, so I really don't think this "curse" should have any real weight. His dad also did very well as a juvenile. I just hope that he stays healthy.
  • I like him, too. I think I'm catching Derby Fever early this year. Already gearing up with my picks and we don't even know the full field yet!