Off Topic Topics

Comments

• Love this thread VA!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited November 2014
    Casey....my hubby lived in Concord from time he was 7 til about 8 yrs ago....we lived there until 2006 when we went to Utah
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Carol- cool- I grew up in Castro Valley- which is Alameda county
  • There's a Naval Air Station at Alameda that I flew into once--as a free standby passenger on a Marine Corps transport plane. Is that the one that is on the east side of San Francisco Bay?
    yes VA. It was also used in the Star Trek 4 movie...
    And the Hornet is parked there as a museum ....or it was ...
  • My son is in Austin also.....small world....i have a daughter who would do the door slamming thing to me....she says i ruined her life....but then she also says her life is perfect.....got real mad when i pointed out to her she could not have it both ways
    My Aunt and Uncle live in Katy, Texas, it's about an hour and half drive from Austin. He was big oil exec for BP (what used to be Amaco).

• Well, I'm not a Star Trek fan, so don't know about those. But I think it was the time we landed at Alameda that we came in just about at sunset and the lights had just come on in the houses and buildings of SF so it was quite magical circling around and coming in over the Bay that was silver and purple in color, reflecting the purple clouds in the sky. If it wasn't Alameda, it was a place I think called Moffat Field. It was more than 50 years ago and there were no skyscrapers yet in SF. I think it was Alameda, and we landed from the north on a runway that began right at the water's edge. An amazing and wonderful experience. It was just a quick weekend trip from Cherry Point, NC, and my first visit to San Francisco.

Like most of the beautiful pictures I've seen in my life, I did not have a camera with me or in hand at the time. As Robert Frost said, "Heaven gives is glimpses only to those/ Not in position to look to close."
    My hubby says he thinks Moffet is just south of Alameda ...both on the bay....he remembers that the WWII brigibles were based at Moffet...
    Moffet is south bay- Sunnyvale/Mtn View area. Alameda is more like directly across from SF
  • I think it was Alameda that we landed at at Sunset that time. It was so special, I should do a better job of remembering. I do remember I was riding in the cockpit at that time, standing behind the co-pilot (who sits in the left seat. The pilot is on the right. Or was in those days on the big transports--Ci30s.
  • I totally hated going to my grandmother's the first weekend in May because ABC televised the Derby and there was no local affiliate in Wilmington, NC.
  • I was on a local TV station and I think it might have been Wilmington we had to drive to. Can't remember. It was a panel of us talking about the establishment of a branch of East Carolina College (I think it's now a University) on the base at Cherry Point. I was the Education Officer for the base and we ran enrollment, etc. through the Education Office. An ECC official did the actual enrolling and administration of the branch, but it was done in our office. So he was on the panel, along with the President of the College, and yours truly. It was fun. Someone asked us questions that we answered. We may have had a student Marine with us, as well. He was an enlisted man, a senior NCO who had taken a couple of classes in our Adult High School program to brush up and then had passed the GED, which we administered in the Testing Center at our office. We didn't have VCRs or DVRs in those days, so, of course, I didn't get to see the show. Rats. ECC is in Greenville, and that may have been where the TV station was, but I don't think so.
  • Moffet is south bay- Sunnyvale/Mtn View area. Alameda is more like directly across from SF
    Thanks, Casey. This totally confirms that it was Alameda we landed at right as the sun was setting. We were directly opposite SF. So I guess it was actually the second time I had flown into SF.

All this reminiscing is very helpful for me because I do want to get that book written about my Adventures with Ginger. I guess if I can't remember where something is or occured, I can just ask on the Forum. Someone is bound to know. LOL Ginger did not go with me to Alameda, however. He stayed home with a dog-sitter.

• Big snow storm coming up our way, starts late tonight and goes into Wednesday afternoon. Might not be able to travel for Thanksgiving
  • What a drag. Sorry to hear that. Hope you weren't planning to go far. I hate big storms on important holidays. The resulting traffic accidents can really add up.
  • Its supposed to start after midnight tonight and go all day tomorrow. 1 inch of snow tonight and 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow
  • Could be worse...at least you don't live in Buffalo!
  • Idk what Id do if i lived in Buffalo lol, this storm is supposed to go their way too
  • I'm about 45 minutes northeast, we were lucky to miss all the snow but lots of friends/family are still dealing with it
  • Send the snow down south, please! We'll take it. Lol
  • Hahaha. But if you actually got the snow in Mississippi, you know the state would be in an uproar. Does it get cold there in the winter?
  • Yes it does get cold, but it doesn't last but a day or two. This past weekend we had a low of 27 one day (cold for this time of year), two days later it was back in the 70's and humid.

You're right, though, the very few times we have had snow here, it was a madhouse of wrecks and craziness. No one know what to do, but it was still fun. It does snow in Mississippi, but not on the coast which is where I live.
  • crdolce_777 - where are you? I am in Rochester and friends of ours who live 20 miles to the west got buried! We only got a few inches from that crazy storm that dumped 6 feet of snow on Buffalo.
  • This storm started here in Central Florida early this morning and is moving up the Eastern Seaboard. Gully washer rains today (although we needed it), lots of thunder but not much lightning, weird to have a full day of heavy rain (other than hurricanes). My CT family called this afternoon bemoaning the fact they have no idea what to expect (rain, sleet, ice, snow), which will alter all plans they made to get together with relatives there for the annual Thanksgiving get together.