Man O' War

RachelRachel Member
Because what racing world is complete without him?

Here are rare photos and video of Man O' War, feel free to add to it. Enjoy

Recording of his Funeral

His son, War Admiral in a workout

Being shown for Military personnel

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited December 2014
    I tracked this down from "Amazing True Horse Stories":

THE UNFORGETTABLE MAN O'WAR!
    We've all seen still photos of the mightly Man O'War and many of us have seen Man O'War's majestic statue at the Kentucky Horse Park. Here are some rare videos of him running around in his paddock, his faithful groom Will Harbut and clips from a few of his races. Back then...there were no structured starting gates...just an open line-up in front of a tape. There is also a headshot pose that inspired his memorial statue within this video. Enjoy!

Just click the link that says: "Watch this video on YouTube"
    Note: Within this video, there is a close-up of a horse that is definitely not Man O'War...can you spot him?

War Admiral

• WOw, ive never seen that video before :D
  • Thanks for posting this.
  • Did you spot the horse in the video that was mislabeled as Man O'War?
  • I did not, is it War Admiral? lol
    edited December 2014
    Sorry...stepped away for dinner.
    The "other horse" was shown at frame 1:28 in the video. I don't know who it is but the star was a different shape...too "diamond" angular with no broken stripe below.
  • I didn't notice, and when I tried to go back to view it again my Adobe flash player crashed, so I decided the heck with it. Sorry.
    edited December 2014
    OK...this is the frame when this unknown horse was featured as Man O'War in the video above entitled: Magnificent Man O'War:
    image From YouTube
  • Man O' War and his Will. What a love story. One did not want to go on without the other.

In retirement he was still ridden for exercise
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2014
    In several of these pictures the blaze does kind of shift around a bit. It's a good thing there are as many pictures as there are. I'm kind of surprised so many survived.

I like his big ears in the second picture. That's the blaze that most of the pictures show.
  • He sure was something special to look at, wasn't he? In that last picture, he looks massive. In the second to last, he looks really young. He was a gorgeous hunk of a horse and I'm so glad there are so many pictures of him.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, me too. I also love the way his name shows up in so many Pedigrees of our favorite horses, including, of course, Zenyatta through both her sire and dam by way of Hoist the Flag and Hail to Reason and through several mares as well. She also has a lot of Native Dancer by way of Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer. And I just found an interesting connection I didn't notice before. Native Dancer (my first favorite racehorse) has, on his dam side, a horse named Fair Play, who is Man O'War's sire. So there is a distant connection between those two.
  • "Who's he by?"
    "He's by hisself; ain't nobody gonna catch him!"
  • Lol that's a great quote and so true
  • Here is Man O War's sire, Fairplay. You can see where Big Red got his good looks.

While racing

As a stud
  • And here is Fairplay's sire, Hastings during his racing days

He looks every bit his surly self in that picture.

He looks every bit his surly self in that picture.
    Yep, definitely no mistaking that wicked customer.

The picture noted as "War Admiral working out for the Rhode Island..." I think the photographer got mixed up. I think that might be Fair Play, because War Admiral didn't have any socks and that horse has one on the left front and left rear, just like Fair Play.

Also I don't believe War Admiral ever ran in blinkers.

• Not too many people around anymore who would personally remember any of those horses. LOL Thanks for posting.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited December 2014
    Hastings' nastiness was pretty legendary and as often as not he passed that temper on to his get. So people who handled his sons/daughters and even grandsons/granddaughters got a good idea what Hastings was like.

His stories were still fresh in many an older horseman's mind even back in the 80s. He made Dynaformer look like a Pony Club hack.

Fairplay was pretty reasonable and Man O'War as well. Another Fairplay son, Display had his granddaddy's temper.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited December 2014
    Hard Tack.....son of MoW and daddy of Seabuscuit.....was a handful too...get the feeling he was stubborn more than vicious
  • Great Horses and their Greatest Sons
    Zipse at the Track in Horse Racing Nation December 09, 2014
    Yesterday, I wrote about Texas Red, as a top young horse looking to follow in his sire’s impressive footsteps. While Afleet Alex was certainly one of the best horses so far of the 21st century, he falls a far way short of matching the accomplishment of some of the Gods of racing that roamed American racetracks in the previous century. It got me thinking about who their best sons were, and if any of them came close to the greatness of their famous sires. Looking at the current Horse Racing Nation Top 10 of all-time rankings, as voted upon by the fans, I took on the task of identifying of each of their top sons on the racetrack. Kelso and Forego are excluded for obvious reasons, but here are the rest ...
    1) Man o’ War - War Admiral - Whether or not you believe
    Man o’ War was the greatest of all American thoroughbreds, as many do,
    it would be hard to argue that War Admiral is not the most distinguished son of a champion on this list. The smallish Hall of Famer may have famously lost a match race with Seabiscuit, but as a Triple Crown champion, and winner of 21-of-26 lifetime, the Samuel Riddle owned great’s place in history is firmly established.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/zatt/Great_Horses_and_their_Greatest_Sons_123#