Race horses of the Past

I didn't see another forum on this
Lets talk about the racehorses of the past. The ones that were great and the ones that weren't that great

Comments

• Good idea - i'll go way back with Exterminator - i had (and still do!) a book written about him for kids that i read hundreds of times. Not sure where he stands on the greatness level but he sure was a warrior!
    Exterminator competed in 99 races, winning 50 while finishing second and third 17 times each. His lifetime earnings amounted to $252,996. Beaten in the Brooklyn Handicap by Grey Lag once, Exterminator got better as he got older and later defeated Grey Lag in the same race. (Wiki)
    Racing until the age of 9, a relatively old age for a race horse, Exterminator was called by his many fans "Old Bones" or "The Galloping Hatrack" (amongst the stable lads, he was "Old Shang"). He was retired in 1924 to a life of grass and leisure, with a succession of companion ponies, all named Peanuts, at his side.
    Exterminator lived in his private barn at Court Manor in Virginia until Kilmer's death in 1940, after which he was moved to Binghamton, New York. He died at the age of thirty on September 26, 1945, in his stall at Sun Briar Court, which has since been razed. At the time of his death, it was reported that he was buried beside several of the companion ponies (all named "Peanuts") although no markers exist today reflecting their grave. Exterminator's grave stone is in former La France Pet Cemetery now renamed Whispering Pines Pet Cemetery, Binghamton, New York, and is shared with fellow Kilmer-owned and -raced horses: Sun Briar (b. 1915 - d.1943) and the mare Suntica (b. 1929 - d. 1947). (Wiki)
  • Exterminator is a pretty great racehorse name.
  • On one site, he ranks 29th. And he was a fan favorite
  • Interesting.
  • Fun Fact - Exterminator and Man o War were contemporaries - and races against each other were set up a few times but their connections could never agree on track conditions..
  • What about Black Gold I've heard of him but don't know a lot about him
  • marepowermarepower Member
    edited December 2014
    http://www.spiletta.com/UTHOF/blackgold.html. Trouble with pics cms0594, but here is an article on Black Gold from Spiletta
  • Great Horses and their Greatest Sons
    Zipse at the Track in Horse Racing Nation December 09, 2014
    Yesterday, I wrote about Texas Red, as a top young horse looking to follow in his sire’s impressive footsteps. While Afleet Alex was certainly one of the best horses so far of the 21st century, he falls a far way short of matching the accomplishment of some of the Gods of racing that roamed American racetracks in the previous century. It got me thinking about who their best sons were, and if any of them came close to the greatness of their famous sires. Looking at the current Horse Racing Nation Top 10 of all-time rankings, as voted upon by the fans, I took on the task of identifying of each of their top sons on the racetrack. Kelso and Forego are excluded for obvious reasons, but here are the rest ...

1) Man o’ War - War Admiral - Whether or not you believe Man o’ War was the greatest of all American thoroughbreds, as many do, it would be hard to argue that War Admiral is not the most distinguished son of a champion on this list. The smallish Hall of Famer may have famously lost a match race with Seabiscuit, but as a Triple Crown champion, and winner of 21-of-26 lifetime, the Samuel Riddle owned great’s place in history is firmly established.

2) Secretariat - Risen Star - He may have only run 11 lifetime races, but the Louisiana based runner was able to clinch an Eclipse Award with a Belmont Stakes win that may well have been the most impressive since Big Red himself clinched the Triple Crown by 31 unbelievable lengths. Risen Star’s 14 ¾ length runaway followed up an impressive Preakness victory, and only a premature retirement may have stopped Secretariat’s best son from becoming a racing legend in his own right.

3) Spectacular Bid - Lay Down - Unfortunately for the racing world, Spectacular Bid was one of those great horses who never came close to reproducing himself in the stallion barn. Slim pickings among his best sons, so I will go with the multiple graded stakes winner, Lay Down. The Phipps-McGaughey runner’s biggest win probably was the 1990 Forego Handicap at Saratoga.

4) Dr. Fager - Dr. Patches - Dr. Fager’s breeding career was cut way too short before a sudden death, but he did sire a few champions before he was gone. His best son was the Champion Sprinter of 1978, Dr. Patches. Among his 17 career wins included a famous Paterson Handicap victory over Seattle Slew one evening at the Meadowlands. Later that fall, he added wins in the Vosburgh and Meadowlands Cup on his way to a championship.

5) Seattle Slew - Slew O’ Gold - Unlike fellow superstar of the late 70’s, Spectacular Bid, Seattle Slew was one great who brought it to the breeding shed. So much so, that picking his singular best son was tough. Slew O’ Gold gets the nod over A.P. Indy and Swale for his racing longevity, which included back-to-back Jockey Club Gold Cup wins, a 3yo Championship in 1983, and the Older Male award in 1984. Had I included breeding prowess, as well as racing, fellow Hall of Famer, A.P. Indy would have moved right on by Slew O’ Gold.

6) Citation - Fabius - Certainly the greatest offspring of the great Citation was the super filly, Silver Spoon, but of the boys, I will go with the 1956 Preakness winner, Fabius. From Citation’s first crop, Fabius was half of an excellent Triple Crown rivalry with Needles. His speed proved best in many stakes, including at Pimlico, but he could not hold off his rival in either the Kentucky Derby or the Belmont. The championship also went to Needles.

7) Affirmed - Peteski - Gallant Fox was not the only Triple Crown winner to sire a Triple Crown winner. Of course, Affirmed’s best son’s Triple Crown came north of the border. One of the all-time greats in Canadian racing history, Peteski ran in only 11 lifetime races, but among them included a dominant run through Canada’s Triple Crown, as well as, a victory in the rich Molson Million. In that race, he easily defeated America’s Kentucky Derby winner, Sea Hero, and Belmont winner, Colonial Affair.

8) Native Dancer - Kauai King - Part of the excellent foal crop of 1963, which included Buckpasser and Graustark, Kauai King won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, before losing his Triple Crown bid in the Belmont Stakes by two lengths. His 9-of-16 racing career came to an untimely end when he was injured while running in a showdown with Buckpasser in the 1966 Arlington Classic.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/zatt/Great_Horses_and_their_Greatest_Sons_123#
  • The story of Black Gold...who didn't read that book as a kid? The number of starts, that alone blows me away.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Read the Black Gold story in an English class textbook in 3rd? grade.....remember it to this day.