First race coming up, can it be?!

WOW--after announcing Zenyatta will be bred back to War Front -- SA Press Box ‏@SAPublicity Jerry Moss on Cozmic One- "Victor was up the other day when he worked & we're thinking he might start in a matter of days" @santaanitapark

Comments

• he must be working and showing hes ready better than the video showed
  • Wow! After all this time it doesn't seem real that he could start in a couple days!
  • He seemed so green in his last workout video--but whom am I to judge! Complete trust in John!
  • Well in his first race they will all be green LOL hopefully he looks the best out of all of them. He didnt do too bad in his workout, atleast he wasnt bolting the turns lol.
  • Not saying it couldn't happen, but doesn't seem possible. Jerry is the guy that retired Zenyatta after her win in the BC Classic. Maybe he has a tendency to be over zealous or in this case may be overly optimistic. LOL…just saying.
  • Well in his first race they will all be green LOL hopefully he looks the best out of all of them. He didnt do too bad in his workout, atleast he wasnt bolting the turns lol.
    Yeah, he seemed so green. I know that sometimes it's important to get a race under the belt just for the experience, even if a win is not expected, but this seems so out of left field...but then again we are not in the know on the fine details of his progress.
  • Not saying it couldn't happen, but doesn't seem possible. Jerry is the guy that retired Zenyatta after her win in the BC Classic. Maybe he has a tendency to be over zealous or in this case may be overly optimistic. LOL…just saying.
    Good point! I don't see the logic behind racing a horse if a win isn't expected. The idea is to win...so why would you race a horse before they're ready? I've heard the same rumors with Jess's Dream, that he'll be starting before the end of the year just because of the Apollo curse for the Kentucky Derby, and that they don't expect him to win. I don't know if the rumor is true or not, but the idea behind it is completely ridiculous and superstitious.

• Putting a horse in a race but not expecting him or her to win its basically just giving the experience of a race to the horse. That way the next time they go out they are familiar with it and know what to do next time. Anytime with Maidens you can't exactly expect them to win first time out.
  • The experience part makes sense, when the horse is mentally and physically ready. But people are saying he doesn't look ready, so why push him too soon just for the experience? There is plenty of time for him to develop and then race for experience.
  • Agree Rachel. Think they're looking to get him some experience. God be with you beautiful Coz
  • Who knows. Matter of days could very well be a month later! Still, we're waiting on a blog post to conform the information. Rumors are extremely common these days
  • Well, we're all working from videos and still photos. John Shirreffs and Victor Espinoza are right there looking at him and riding him. I assume they know a whole lot more about Coz's progress than we do.
  • Yes, I'm sure they do know a lot more than we do. Also, words coming out of Mr. Moss's mouth are not exactly rumors, right?
  • Yes, I'm sure they do know a lot more than we do. Also, words coming out of Mr. Moss's mouth are not exactly rumors, right?
    no, I'm just saying we need official conformation as in a blog to be sure :-)
  • Well here I go with a comment for what it is worth. As I am reading all the comments above, I keep thinking back (way back :-) ) to the first races of Secretariat. As I remember, it took Secretariat several beginning races to get things figured out. He had talent, but at the beginning, he did not understand what he needed to do. Coz strikes me as a young horse that does not quite know what he is about yet. As I watched the work video, Coz seems to be fighting Victor at the beginning, but then straightens up with the joy of being in full gallop. I 'm not sure what John has in mind, but it seems Coz is still learning. What path John chooses, I am sure, will be a wise path in Coz's training and racing experiences. It maybe that the best move at this point is to give Coz a race for the experience, but I am not the expert. John will call the shots. Coz has smarts and talent, and a fire personality so things will get sorted out in time.
  • When I ran horses I would get maidens as fit as possible. If they were still silly colts with no idea what it meant to be a racehorse then it was time to get a little dirt kicked in their faces. The good ones decided very quickly that up front was the best place to be. Those that didn't care, after three races, I told the owners to sell. Sometimes you just bite the bullet, put them out there and see what happens. Good luck Mr. Coz!
  • When I ran horses I would get maidens as fit as possible. If they were still silly colts with no idea what it meant to be a racehorse then it was time to get a little dirt kicked in their faces. The good ones decided very quickly that up front was the best place to be. Those that didn't care, after three races, I told the owners to sell. Sometimes you just bite the bullet, put them out there and see what happens. Good luck Mr. Coz!
    Yep.

And though CoZ didn't look to be 100% in that recent video it might just be that he needs to see what it's all about. Often times the switch can only get thrown when the gate clangs open and it's go time.

John and Victor are both there, hands on. I have no doubt physically CoZ is solid and he has to be ready for the gate in order to have gotten his gate card to be allowed to race. Time to see if he puts it together mentally.

• Any body see any videos of coz gate training?
  • Any body see any videos of coz gate training?
    Nope.

• I agree with the people who have suggested maybe Coz needs to experience a real race. I think it's all still a game for him. Once he sees and experiences an actual race, it may develop some serious relevance for him. It's kind of like my son in elementary school who couldn't pass out of step 3 math--multiplication--because he couldn't see the point in memorizing the times tables. Once I made them put him into Step 4--division--he saw the point and learned the times tables.
  • edited December 2014
    Glad someone else mentioned this...I've wondered about his gate training too.
    Any body see any videos of coz gate training?

Nope.

• The horse getting used to the gate, loading, and getting out of the gate in a timely manner and safety can make or break a race.
  • HRTV....Coz training well.

• Ah, there she is...our fabulous, once in a lifetime Queen Zenyatta!
  • She looks so CUTE in that pic! Reminds me of that pic of Ozzy during bath time! Her blaze looks awfully lot like Princess's since a part of it is covered by the mane (Forelock)