Helpful Things We Can Do to Improve the Situation

Thought we had threads about horse abuse cases, horse over-population, horse starvation and abandonment, horse slaughter, etc. Couldn't find any, so I'm starting this one.

Ann Kline of Mea Ola's Place has come up with a list of practical things anyone can do to help relieve the above situations.
She predicts, as do others, that the situation is going to get worse before--hopefully--it can get better because of the new ruling by the European Union to stop importing horse meat from Mexico. The EU will likely do the same with horse meat from Canada. Both countries export horse meat that is 87% originated from American horses which are not fed appropriately as food sources. In addition many are given drugs that are harmful to humans. Without the attraction of money from kill buyers, horse rescue operations fear that more horses will be abandoned to starve. Things are about to get worse and sadly we are dependent on already overwhelmed horse rescuers to pick up the discarded horses that result from over-breeding and loss of income, or worse loss of interest by horse owners. These horses can't all be saved; there are just too many. Below, please read Ann's "op ed" for ways that you can help,and the article about the European Union's recent action

Comments

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2014
    Here is Ann's Post:

Please read! This decision is going to effect the horses in our country, as well as horse rescues.

On January 15, 2015...the EU will no longer accept horse meat from Mexico. However, they will still export to other countries, like Russia and Japan. This article has links to the audit of slaughterhouse facilities in Mexico. Several issues caused the ban. One of them being that horses from the US, which are 87% of the horses slaughtered in that country, cannot be traced for drugs that may have been used on them that should not be consumed by humans. The animal welfare was addressed as well. We have been telling everyone for years how horrible the transport is for the horses, the holding facilities, the injuries and deaths caused during their trips to both Mexico and Canada, as well. Here it is in black and white, by an unbiased company that performed the 2014 audit. It also states that none of the concerns from the 2011 and 2012 audits were ever addressed or taken care of.

What does all of this mean? Well, a few things. For one, there will be folks scrambling to continue to make money on horse meat. More horses will ship to Canada, where they are already facing humane issues during transportation The EU also requires Canada to hold US horses for 6 months before they are to be slaughtered. The holding facilities are not humane now...so what is another 3 or 4 THOUSAND horses a month coming in to their country going to do for that situation? There is a chance that the EU will ban
    horse meat coming out of Canada, too, at least US horse meat. But, right now, it means longer trips for horses...and it will lower the number of horses shipped for slaughter. That will affect rescues because there are already so many horses being dumped and starved! Most rescues have to turn down horses already ...because so many are full to the brim.

I sincerely hope that one effect we will see will be more advocates for the horse.

PLEASE do not ignore the hard stuff because together we CAN make a difference!

Maybe it is time to start thinking of a New Year's resolution? May I suggest a few ideas?

Find a local rescue and support them any way you are able, Do your homework though, and make sure they are a reputable organization. The simplest way you can help is by SHARING on social networks. A rescue in the works right now just raised $40,000 in 2 days this week to save 65 horses. I will share that link soon, once they have time to put the whole story together. Several rescues came together to make that happen. And, we, as rescues, need to stick together

Another idea is to volunteer for a rescue or at an animal care and control facility. We cannot survive without you. It is not just caring for the horses. If you have computer skills, can make flyers, or can run an errand, water plants,...there are so many ways to help!

Sponsor a horse if you are able. Even a partial sponsorship monthly helps so much! The more that are sponsored, the more we can save!

Donate when/if you can. Foster if you can. Adopt if you can.

Check out your favorite rescue's wish list...share it. See if there are any wishes you can make come true. Maybe take one wish and make that a goal to accomplish for them next year. Maybe you could get your own "team" together to work on makiing wishes come true.

We are all going to need to grow this coming year to make room for more. And not one rescue can do it without help. Please consider making a committment to do something to help the beloved horse this year. Things are only going to get worse for them.

Together, we that love the horse, can change things. One life at a time. To start, you can share this post! You can explain these things to others. Get passionate about doing something to make a difference, and you cannot fail!
  • Article written by Wayne Pacelle, President and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States.

December 08, 2014

Europeans Suspend Horsemeat Imports From Mexico – Deal Huge Blow to North American Slaughter Operations

The horse slaughter industry has been dealt the biggest blow since The HSUS led the fight in Congress, the states, and federal courts to shut down the three operating horse slaughter plants in the United States in 2007. Today’s game-changing news: the European Commission has suspended the import of horsemeat from Mexico to the European Union (EU) due to food safety concerns.

Mexico accepts tens of thousands of American horses for slaughter and shipment to Europe. Photo: The HSUS
    Mexico not only kills thousands of its horses for export to the EU, but accepts tens of thousands of American horses for slaughter and shipment to Europe. This announcement could prove to be an earthquake for the North American horse slaughter industry, since Belgium, France, Italy, and other EU nations are major consumers.

HSI EU executive director Jo Swabe and I have personally appealed to senior EU regulatory leaders multiple times on this issue. I have long wondered how the Europeans could tolerate the rampant abuse and drugging of horses endemic to the North American trade, given their rigorous adherence to humane food safety standards for other species. The regulatory correction to the situation in Mexico has now finally occurred.

The suspension follows a series of audits by the Commission’s Food and Veterinary Office (FVO) – the most recent one was published last week. The audit is a shocking account of significant animal welfare concerns that riddle the entire horse slaughter pipeline, from the United States to Mexico. The audit also details serious concerns about the traceability of horses slaughtered in EU-certified equine slaughterhouses in Mexico; 87 percent of these animals originate from the United States.

The Commission’s decision reflects exactly what The HSUS and HSI have been saying for years – there are serious food safety issues regarding horsemeat that originates from U.S. horses because they are not raised as food animals. Horses are our companions and partners in work and sport. As a result, horses are commonly treated with drugs such as phenylbutazone and other substances long deemed unfit for human consumption. And, as the audit shows, American horses lack lifetime medical records and do not meet EU food safety regulations.

While the audit focused on food safety, it also documented appalling suffering in the United States and Mexico. It details downed, sick horses slaughtered for human consumption despite being ill, horses suffering in export facilities on U.S. soil, and horrific welfare problems during transport. The audit confirms the cruelty of the horse slaughter pipeline that The HSUS has repeatedly exposed through undercover footage. The FVO even acknowledges that the information received from groups such as The HSUS and HSI accurately depicts the extremely poor conditions in which horses are transported. Special thanks to Animals Angels for its tireless work to document this trade.

The predatory horse slaughter industry is singularly concerned with making a buck, by snatching up young and healthy horses at auction, often outbidding legitimate horse owners and rescues. For these interests, it’s never been about euthanizing old, sick horses – that’s been a fiction since the start of this debate. This lust for profit is precisely why the industry and its legions of lobbyists have fought so hard to block federal legislation that would end horse slaughter.

We’ve long argued that Congress should enact the SAFE Act (Safeguard American Food Exports Act), to halt the transport of horses for slaughter within the United States and also to our North American neighbors. With Congress last year defunding slaughter in the United States, and the EU’s action to shut down imports from Mexico, there really is no rationale for not banning this trade.

The people of the United States do not see horses as a source of food, and despite all the scrutiny and pressure coming to bear on the horse slaughter industry, it has shown itself to be consistently reckless, unsafe, and inhumane. There’s no redeeming it, and the details documented in the European Commission announcement make that plain.

Ask your legislators to help protect our nation's horses through the SAFE Act.
    [emphasis mine, VA]
  • Thanks for starting this thread! What a great place to pool ideas and share experiences! I've emailed my senators and representative several times about different issues, such as horse slaughter and mismanagement of wild horses. I was appalled when my representative responded that he thought horse slaughter was a good way to get rid of the 50,000 mustangs sitting in government pens. It was probably a good thing that I did not hear this from him personally, since I could not contain my fury. (Although I would've liked to give him a piece of my mind!)

I don't have the means to donate to horse rescues, but I might be able to give some time here and there. I'm definitely going to look into it!
  • Who is your representative? That's outrageous. I'd like to send him/her an email. Might do him/her good to get outraged emails from out of state. If sending horses to slaughter under those awful conditions sounds like a good idea to that representative, what is his/her suggestion for the excess number of poor and elderly people in the US?
  • Thanks for starting this thread! What a great place to pool ideas and share experiences! I've emailed my senators and representative several times about different issues, such as horse slaughter and mismanagement of wild horses. I was appalled when my representative responded that he thought horse slaughter was a good way to get rid of the 50,000 mustangs sitting in government pens. It was probably a good thing that I did not hear this from him personally, since I could not contain my fury. (Although I would've liked to give him a piece of my mind!)

I don't have the means to donate to horse rescues, but I might be able to give some time here and there. I'm definitely going to look into it!
    I am fuming right now. What a shallow minded idiot! Mustangs were the ones that allowed progress for man in the Americas and this is what he says about our noble mustangs??
  • Who is your representative? That's outrageous. I'd like to send him/her an email. Might do him/her good to get outraged emails from out of state. If sending horses to slaughter under those awful conditions sounds like a good idea to that representative, what is his/her suggestion for the excess number of poor and elderly people in the US?
    Jason Chaffetz. He also has a shady plan to sell the federal land in Utah to private owners to fund public education. By putting it towards a favorable cause like education, it blinds people to the consequences. Federal "protection" (not that the BLM is doing its job well) is all that stands between the mustangs and the ranchers. Utah ranchers are already bullying the BLM into rounding up the mustangs here. They threatened to round the wild horses up themselves if the government didn't do it. If the federal land in Utah is lost, our wild horses will be lost. PLEASE email him. I, as one person, can only do so much.
  • Oh, I've heard things are really bad in Utah. Was Clive Bundy in that state? I can't remember so well any more. What a shame. Will do some research and find out how to send emails to your Rep. We used to have a terrible Congressman who was pretty corrupt, as well. Fortunately the district was reorganized and some Democratic areas were included in the new district. He could see the handwriting on the wall and retired. The district still has more registered Republicans, but we were all so disgusted with the old guy that since the district was no longer overwhelmingly Republican he would have been defeated. Mary Bono Something or Other also had her district changed, so she ran in the new district where I live, but fortunately she lost and we have a good man in now.

There are all kinds of devious plots and schemes where Republican politicians all over the country are trying to take over Federal lands which belong to all of us, in perpetuity. In my dictionary, that means forever. In theirs, it just means until they can trick enough voters into releasing that land back into the private sector. People of that ilk fought against the establishment of every National Park we have, even the Grand Canyon. Fools. They've already managed to kill off most of the wolves and other predators that keep herds healthy so they can protect their precious cattle to feed hamburgers to the masses and make billions of dollars from our lands. Aaaauuuuugh.
  • Cliven Bundy is in Nevada, thankfully. Utah has enough bullheaded ranchers to deal with. Worse than what these politicians are trying to do is that they sugar coat it to confuse people. I cannot stand oblivion. I need to know the truth (as horrid as that can be these days). Instead we have people in power decide that the truth would be too much for us civilians and that we can't be trusted to make the decisions ourselves. They sugar coat situations and ideas to get people to go along with it because of course they know best.
  • It's a great pity that this is going on. The politicians in the middle of the country have managed to bamboozle a lot of people. There are so many ignorant people out there, too, who seem easily bamboozled. Usually it's my generation who fall for it. Hopefully that's true, because as the younger people get old enough to care about politics, things may get better then and the government will no longer be controlled by people who insist that climate change is a hoax. I'm just sorry that I probably won't be around when the pendulum shifts, which so far it has done. I just hope it happens before it's too late. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's almost impossible to get it back in. Hope the government manages to hold onto most of the federal lands, at least.
  • Video advocating horse adoption of horses saved from slaughter. Willie Nelson has adopted 70. We can't all have the resources or the room to take in so many, but saving one would help if you can add one more to your herd. Here's a video about Willie.
    http://wildhor.se/1xaf0Np
  • Wow. The world needs more people like Willie Nelson. Thanks for sharing! I love when he said, "The world looks better on a horse." So true!